Photo

Are you willing to take Blake Griffin if D12 wants to leave or just let D12 walk?

• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

Poll: Willing to get Blake Griffin if D12 walk? (57 member(s) have cast votes)

Yes. Lakers need to atleast get something if D12 wants to leave.

1. No. Blake Griffin is so over rated. I rather use D12 cap space for other things. (25 votes [43.86%])

Percentage of vote: 43.86%

2. Yes. Lakers need to atleast get something if D12 wants to leave. (26 votes [45.61%])

Percentage of vote: 45.61%

3. Not sure what I want to do yet. (6 votes [10.53%])

Percentage of vote: 10.53%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 BleedPurple&Gold

BleedPurple&Gold

All-Star

• 6,347 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe,Magic

Posted June 19, 2013 - 06:16 PM

I do not agree with this at all. LeBron is definitely not one-dimensional. He has a complete game, the problem is that he's not mentally locked in all the time. He can do anything on the floor, he has no limitations other than his aggressiveness. When he's focused and taking advantage of his mismatches (which he hasn't done for much of this series), there is no way to stop him. There's a reason why he's the best player in the world, it's because he's unstoppable when he's locked in. He doesn't have the same limitations he did in Cleveland because he's vastly improved in both his perimeter and post game. Though he may zone in and out of games from time to time, there's no denying how great of a player he is.

Blake can't shoot and has terrible shot mechanics, has no perimeter game at all, can't orchestrate an offense from the top of the key, can't consistently push a fastbreak or break down defenses off the dribble, isn't anywhere near LeBron in the playmaking department, and he's nowhere near as serious a mismatch for the opposition. You stick length on Blake Griffin, body him up a bit and play physical, and he'll be taken out of the game. Completely ineffective because if he can't get going offensively or in transition then he's got zero impact on the rest of the game.

LeBron isn't ineffective when he's not getting to the paint, he still finds ways to impact the game even if he isn't scoring. That's the appeal of LeBron; he doesn't need to be scoring 25+ nightly to have an impact. He's an elite help defender (Blake has no idea what defense is), a very solid man defender, a great playmaker, great at moving without the ball, and he's a threat all over the floor. You can't just leave LeBron alone wide open, he'll burn you if he's shooting in rhythm. His biggest issue in this series, and in the 2011 Finals, was his tentativeness on the perimeter. We've seen what he's capable of when he's locked in and focused, his performance last night in the 4th quarter and OT is testament to that.

And LeBron HAS gotten a post-game. It's the most effective post-game in the league, and that's not even debatable. He hasn't taken advantage of it in this series, nor has he taken advantage of the spacing San Antonio has granted him, but that's a mental issue. It has nothing to do with his skills and ability. Blake has a minimal post-game, length bothers him considerably, and he doesn't have the coordination or speed and quickness of LeBron in the interior. He can't compare to him.

That's some naive thinking believing that the Clippers will never be relevant just because of their franchise history. That's the same faulty logic I've been hearing from certain Lakers fans the last two years who are, for some strange reason, content with mediocrity. Why is there this thinking that just because we're the Lakers and they're the Clippers that things will remain the status quo? If we continue to make bad decisions as a franchise and shoot ourselves in the foot over and over, the Clippers can easily become better than us. Gifting them Dwight Howard would not be shooting ourselves in the foot, but more like a missile to the face. It would be devastating.

When you combine the best playmaker in the league alongside the best center in the league you create a monstrous duo that will be unbelievably difficult to contain. Just surround them with capable shooters and you have the blueprint for a WCF caliber team. They'll obviously have to address coaching and other departments, but with a duo of Dwight and CP3, they'll have no trouble attracting people for the job. There are many coaches who would LOVE to be the head of that team. I would be very scared of a team featuring Dwight, CP3, a cast of roleplayers who buy into their role, and an effective head coach. I don't care what the name of that team is, that's irrelevant here. Talent wins in the NBA, be it in Los Angeles or some nowhere team like Milwaukee.

As for your last point, assists per game isn't the best indicator of a player's passing ability. Blake has a higher career apg than Shaq, Hakeem, and even Tim Duncan, but you can't run an offense through him like you could with those all-timers. Raw assist numbers just demonstrate the fact that the player can find open teammates who can then finish. There is far more to being a good passer than assist numbers. They need to know when to make a pass, when to be aggressive, how to initiate the offense that leads to a good shot for someone else on the team, how to collapse defenses and find the open man on the perimeter, etc. Just because a player isn't credited with the assist doesn't mean that they weren't responsible for the success on a given offensive possession.

have to disagree with you there but everything else spot on

9888d4ba-ad6b-4879-93aa-9ef1c6ed1dbd_zps

#62 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 3,002 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted June 19, 2013 - 06:19 PM

Why isn't anyone talking about Jefferson or Millsap, not big names but certainly decent bigs with less headache.

Edited by Ven21, June 19, 2013 - 06:19 PM.

#63 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,809 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 19, 2013 - 06:25 PM

have to disagree with you there but everything else spot on

How so? Sure, he can face-up from the free throw line in, but Blake isn't capable of beating guys off the dribble at will. He's not a speed demon by any means and he's about average with his handles, nothing special. You need to have a half decent mid-range game, bare minimum of a pull-up jumper, to consistently beat people off the dribble. Otherwise, defense will key in and guys will know how to react and contain you due to a lack of range. Without a jumper or any perimeter game at all, I don't think it's possible to beat people off the dribble at will if you're not blinding quick.

#64 BleedPurple&Gold

BleedPurple&Gold

All-Star

• 6,347 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe,Magic

Posted June 19, 2013 - 06:40 PM

well u didnt really say at will but I agree he can't beat people at will because he doesn't have a jumper and people would just back off him but even then sometimes he can still take u off dribble being pretty damn athletic, quick and agility he has is enough to get by you, there is no stopping him once he takes his first step and leaps unless you play off him of course without a jumper defenders will do just that but it also depends on who is guarding him but, he can deff take people off the dribble from the face up with him being that athletic,quick, and the agility , and I've seen him do it consistently in a game too.  He will be better with it if he had a jumper tho. His 18 points basically came off of taking his dude off the dribble and dunking or laying it up or fastbreaks. I've seen him many of times lead a fastbreak he can def get it and go.

Edited by BleedPurple&Gold, June 19, 2013 - 06:52 PM.

9888d4ba-ad6b-4879-93aa-9ef1c6ed1dbd_zps

#65 5thDroog

5thDroog

Kapow!

• 14,731 posts
  • Fav. Laker:24,32,33,44,13,22,16,34,5,2

Posted June 19, 2013 - 07:27 PM

The only way I would do this is if Dwight specifically says he no longer wants to be a Laker... AND Bledsoe is included in the deal. I feel like Bledsoe is primed to blow up, if given the chance as a starter.

If let's say it isn't the Clippers, and they have Griffin and Bledsoe, Make it a three team trade and trade Griffin along with our bad contracts for younglings and picks. Other than that, i don't like helping a division "rival"

#66 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,875 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted June 19, 2013 - 07:34 PM

huh?

Not reading through this, but I see a Blake and LeBron comparison...Smh

i'll say this, Blake is touger, and a better dunker.

leBron is literally better at every thing else.

i think the only thing BG has, is more of a Power Foward mentality...but who fits better?

LeBron

Who is better?

LeBron

more heart... not sure

#67 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,150 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted June 19, 2013 - 08:11 PM

Why isn't anyone talking about Jefferson or Millsap, not big names but certainly decent bigs with less headache.

Well if Dwight wants to go to Utah then we will talk about Milsap and Jefferson. You do know how a sign in trade work right? Obviously you have no idea whats going on for posting such a stupid post like this.

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#68 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,822 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted June 19, 2013 - 08:34 PM

I do not agree with this at all. LeBron is definitely not one-dimensional. He has a complete game, the problem is that he's not mentally locked in all the time. He can do anything on the floor, he has no limitations other than his aggressiveness. When he's focused and taking advantage of his mismatches (which he hasn't done for much of this series), there is no way to stop him. There's a reason why he's the best player in the world, it's because he's unstoppable when he's locked in. He doesn't have the same limitations he did in Cleveland because he's vastly improved in both his perimeter and post game. Though he may zone in and out of games from time to time, there's no denying how great of a player he is.

Blake can't shoot and has terrible shot mechanics, has no perimeter game at all, can't orchestrate an offense from the top of the key, can't consistently push a fastbreak or break down defenses off the dribble, isn't anywhere near LeBron in the playmaking department, and he's nowhere near as serious a mismatch for the opposition. You stick length on Blake Griffin, body him up a bit and play physical, and he'll be taken out of the game. Completely ineffective because if he can't get going offensively or in transition then he's got zero impact on the rest of the game.

LeBron isn't ineffective when he's not getting to the paint, he still finds ways to impact the game even if he isn't scoring. That's the appeal of LeBron; he doesn't need to be scoring 25+ nightly to have an impact. He's an elite help defender (Blake has no idea what defense is), a very solid man defender, a great playmaker, great at moving without the ball, and he's a threat all over the floor. You can't just leave LeBron alone wide open, he'll burn you if he's shooting in rhythm. His biggest issue in this series, and in the 2011 Finals, was his tentativeness on the perimeter. We've seen what he's capable of when he's locked in and focused, his performance last night in the 4th quarter and OT is testament to that.

And LeBron HAS gotten a post-game. It's the most effective post-game in the league, and that's not even debatable. He hasn't taken advantage of it in this series, nor has he taken advantage of the spacing San Antonio has granted him, but that's a mental issue. It has nothing to do with his skills and ability. Blake has a minimal post-game, length bothers him considerably, and he doesn't have the coordination or speed and quickness of LeBron in the interior. He can't compare to him.

That's some naive thinking believing that the Clippers will never be relevant just because of their franchise history. That's the same faulty logic I've been hearing from certain Lakers fans the last two years who are, for some strange reason, content with mediocrity. Why is there this thinking that just because we're the Lakers and they're the Clippers that things will remain the status quo? If we continue to make bad decisions as a franchise and shoot ourselves in the foot over and over, the Clippers can easily become better than us. Gifting them Dwight Howard would not be shooting ourselves in the foot, but more like a missile to the face. It would be devastating.

When you combine the best playmaker in the league alongside the best center in the league you create a monstrous duo that will be unbelievably difficult to contain. Just surround them with capable shooters and you have the blueprint for a WCF caliber team. They'll obviously have to address coaching and other departments, but with a duo of Dwight and CP3, they'll have no trouble attracting people for the job. There are many coaches who would LOVE to be the head of that team. I would be very scared of a team featuring Dwight, CP3, a cast of roleplayers who buy into their role, and an effective head coach. I don't care what the name of that team is, that's irrelevant here. Talent wins in the NBA, be it in Los Angeles or some nowhere team like Milwaukee.

As for your last point, assists per game isn't the best indicator of a player's passing ability. Blake has a higher career apg than Shaq, Hakeem, and even Tim Duncan, but you can't run an offense through him like you could with those all-timers. Raw assist numbers just demonstrate the fact that the player can find open teammates who can then finish. There is far more to being a good passer than assist numbers. They need to know when to make a pass, when to be aggressive, how to initiate the offense that leads to a good shot for someone else on the team, how to collapse defenses and find the open man on the perimeter, etc. Just because a player isn't credited with the assist doesn't mean that they weren't responsible for the success on a given offensive possession.

I'm just trying to make the comparison that both Lebron and Blake are rough around the edges in terms of offensive game. In no way am I saying that blake has greatness potential, but Im pointing out that lebrons game at times is just one dimensional. You say mental lapses, either way if you cant do anything other than one thing regardless for the reason that is causing it you are in fact on dimensional. Look at it this way if Durant needs a bucket what can he do to get it? He can pull up, take it to the hole, take someone off the dribble, or even just shot it with a defender in his shirt. Kobe can back you down in the post and kill you with footwork, hit that turn around dagger, or much even just shot it with a defender in his shirt. When lebron needs a basket what can he do? Just run at the hoop. We saw this last night. He was trying to live off jumpers and was what 3 for 12 because his jimmy is broke. However, once he just went stright to the hoop and attacked he actually became efficient. Im not saying there is a problem with that, all players have a bread and butter and Lebron's bread and butter is just ungurardable. However, if you force him to do anything else he becomes a 20 ppg inefficent scorer and thats if he is getting to the line. Seen in this finals when he is stopped from driving and two finals ago when he was passive. Its been seen before, people know its possible to do that even if you need lebrons help to do it. This guy gets sagged off about 5 feet from mid range. What?!? And he still cant hit a jumper with some damn consistency. He shoots what like 22% outside of the paint for his finals career, sounds pretty one dimensional to me.

Blakes bread and butter is dunking, and hes pretty good at that. Im not someone that is amazed by great acts of athleticism, if I was I would love lebron, but I do know that if a player only has one go to move and they are still dropping 20/10 they can become much better all around if they add stuff to their game. Blake has all the intangibles, just lacking the skill that comes with the game. You talk about a post game lebron has, yea if I suppose beating up on smaller defenders down low as a post game he does have that. He doesnt have the real footwork, or even post moves to say his post game is there. When a defender is his size and length down low his post game is him just trying a turn around little floater that isnt consistent at all. He needs to take advantage of mismatches, which is great and does point to his bball iq, but that doesnt mean he has a post game. When boris diaw is on him or Leonard is why doesnt he take them down low? Becuase he knows he doesnt have the skill set to get a good look against those guys in the post. Im sure blake wouldnt have a problem backing tony parker down either.

If anything you are just proving my point, when he is locked in and attacking the basket, yea thats what needs and has to do because that is what his whole game is. He is a wing player that his only offensive weapon that is consistent is his drive. I can name some players where you can stop them from doing one thing all game and I bet they would still get theirs, you take away lebrons drive and well you really dont have to worry about him beating you on the offensive end. Blake is much like that right now, but that doesnt mean he cant improve. Again I point that when Lebron was Blake's age and had even a worst jumper then he does now and no semblance of a post game they all said those things will come with time, but if that idea is thought about for blake its blasphemous and never gonna be true. You cant give lebron the benefit of doubt when he was young that his game was gonna grow, and not give it to blake where is the fairness in that?

I just feel like Blake gets a bad rep around here. He is a 24 year old KID, who only played three seasons in the league. As a rookie without chris paul when he was the focal point of the offense he dropped 23 and 12 on 51%. Like really? Those numbers are great, sure he did it just by dunking on fools, but lebron gets his 27 and 8 just by driving and kicking out. Again there is nothing wrong with this, that is lebrons game, but lets not act like he has an array of consistent offense moves that rival those of the most skilled players in the league. Offensively skill wise lebron is probably number three in Small Forwards . You can disagree all you want, but all of lebrons offense and his production is generated off one thing; his drive. Saying he has a consistent jumper when he gets hot doesnt mean anything, when forced to settle for jumpers he is not the best player in the league. If you tell any coach Lebron will just shoot jumpers for the game they will think they already won. I know he is a playmaker but that goes back to his drive yet again.

I know we are never gonna reach an agreement or hell maybe even an understatement at this point lol, but I just feel that Blake can become more than what he is now. I'm not even a fan of blake, but I know that he has so much room to improve and that its all things he can learn to do. For the sake of argument lets say lebron does have all those moves and his offensive skill set is money, it took him 9 years to get those, why is blake a failure if he doesnt have them after 3?

Edited by PhillyLaker24, June 19, 2013 - 08:37 PM.

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#69 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 37,131 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted June 19, 2013 - 10:35 PM

^ Yes Blake can become more than what he is.   But the question is does he really want to? 

Seems to me that at the end of the day no matter how much work he puts in during the summer to add other aspects to his game, eventually he reverts back to what he knows best which is dunking and relying on that same one spin move and maybe 1 out of every 10 games he'll use that step back jumper he worked on as opposed to spotting up from mid range which he does the other 90% of the time on the perimeter.

This is why he gets shut down in the playoffs.

He works on other aspects of his game during the summer, but when they don't come naturally to him in the game, rather than continuing to work on them till they do he reverts back to what he knows best and let's CP3 force feed him the rest of the way.

It's the kind of mentality like that and an "Eh.. I'll get it later." attitude that can really stunt the kids game imo.

Edited by Majesty, June 19, 2013 - 10:36 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

• 40,400 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 10:38 PM

LeBron is definitely up there, I'm not sure how that's even questionable. You can't just be a physical behemoth and dominate the game without skill. His game may not be as pretty as others, but he can do everything on the floor.

Kobe & KD are far more offensively skilled than LeBron. You know this.

yo.

#71 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,809 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 10:50 PM

Kobe & KD are far more offensively skilled than LeBron. You know this.

Yes, but there's more to offensive basketball that just shooting and scoring the ball. LeBron blows away both KD and Kobe in the playmaking and court awareness departments. He's on another level. Kobe never had that kind of court vision or passing ability.

#72 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,809 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 11:15 PM

By no means am I trying to put down Blake and make him out to be some scrub, that's far from what I'm trying to say. I think he's a real solid player, definitely a top 3 PF in the league today. The biggest difference between him and LeBron, in my opinion, is probably that I see Blake's ceiling to be far lower. I just don't see him becoming some amazing all-around PF 3-4 years down the road to where you could run an offense through him on a championship caliber team. He looks like the kind of player that could be a good 2nd or 3rd option, but only if you have a legitimate superstar alongside him. I'm just not optimistic at all about him, it's really hard to explain why, it's more a gut feeling than anything.

Like, when you see certain players, you can make educated guesses about their potential and whatnot, but there are those guys who just leave such an impression that you see them becoming something big in the future.

When I saw LeBron as a rookie, I was blown away by how quick he was at his size (size meaning height, he didn't fill out for a few years), how coordinated he was, and how smart he was on the floor. 3 years later, he was leading his Cavs to the Finals against the Spurs at the age of 22. He was for real, easily a top 5 player by the time he was 23 or 24. I felt the same way about Durant who was super-awkward as a 2/3 hybrid his first year in Seattle, but he had serous potential. In 4 years he went from a pretty good prospect to the 2nd best player in the entire league. To a lesser extent, I saw similar glimpses in Dirk Nowtizki and Steve Nash in the early 00s when they were paired up on the Mavericks. Neither were particularly amazing (a far cry from their MVP-level play a couple of years later), Dirk was especially awkward back then, but they just had something that made me think they could become REALLY good players in the future. And it happened.

I just don't get the same vibe from Griffin at all. I just don't think he has the skill level nor is he blessed with something as unique as any of these guys I've mentioned. Nash was always crafty and a nice shooter, Dirk is one of the most unique players in NBA history, Durant has had that freaky length and scoring ability, and LeBron has that court vision and awareness in addition to being physically gifted. Blake just seems like a guy who will remain a solid All-Star caliber big man his entire career, maybe extend his range by a foot or two, but will ultimately not become a superstar player. Basically Shawn Kemp, minus the defensive ability because Griffin doesn't have the wingspan. I just don't think he has a high ceiling as any of these guys I've mentioned.

If he does end up becoming some superstar who leads his team to a title as the best player on the team I'll gladly eat crow, but I just don't see it happening at all.

#73 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,481 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 20, 2013 - 04:46 AM

By no means am I trying to put down Blake and make him out to be some scrub, that's far from what I'm trying to say. I think he's a real solid player, definitely a top 3 PF in the league today. The biggest difference between him and LeBron, in my opinion, is probably that I see Blake's ceiling to be far lower. I just don't see him becoming some amazing all-around PF 3-4 years down the road to where you could run an offense through him on a championship caliber team. He looks like the kind of player that could be a good 2nd or 3rd option, but only if you have a legitimate superstar alongside him. I'm just not optimistic at all about him, it's really hard to explain why, it's more a gut feeling than anything.

Like, when you see certain players, you can make educated guesses about their potential and whatnot, but there are those guys who just leave such an impression that you see them becoming something big in the future.

When I saw LeBron as a rookie, I was blown away by how quick he was at his size (size meaning height, he didn't fill out for a few years), how coordinated he was, and how smart he was on the floor. 3 years later, he was leading his Cavs to the Finals against the Spurs at the age of 22. He was for real, easily a top 5 player by the time he was 23 or 24. I felt the same way about Durant who was super-awkward as a 2/3 hybrid his first year in Seattle, but he had serous potential. In 4 years he went from a pretty good prospect to the 2nd best player in the entire league. To a lesser extent, I saw similar glimpses in Dirk Nowtizki and Steve Nash in the early 00s when they were paired up on the Mavericks. Neither were particularly amazing (a far cry from their MVP-level play a couple of years later), Dirk was especially awkward back then, but they just had something that made me think they could become REALLY good players in the future. And it happened.

I just don't get the same vibe from Griffin at all. I just don't think he has the skill level nor is he blessed with something as unique as any of these guys I've mentioned. Nash was always crafty and a nice shooter, Dirk is one of the most unique players in NBA history, Durant has had that freaky length and scoring ability, and LeBron has that court vision and awareness in addition to being physically gifted. Blake just seems like a guy who will remain a solid All-Star caliber big man his entire career, maybe extend his range by a foot or two, but will ultimately not become a superstar player. Basically Shawn Kemp, minus the defensive ability because Griffin doesn't have the wingspan. I just don't think he has a high ceiling as any of these guys I've mentioned.

If he does end up becoming some superstar who leads his team to a title as the best player on the team I'll gladly eat crow, but I just don't see it happening at all.

Griffin has unique physique and athleticism and he can pass, score and has tools to be good defensively. He could develop into Karl Malone. But seriously, in 2014, who do you think we could get that is better than Griffin?

Remember, if we trade Dwight and get Griffin we'd still be able to sign a max deal. But if we let Dwight walk we can sign a max deal and an additional piece, worth <20 million.

Who is out there, that is better than Griffin that you think you can get in addition to a max guy?

#74 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,778 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted June 20, 2013 - 04:55 AM

Unless you are willing to pay Bledsoe then having him is going to be very risky.  If he doesnt get an ext then he becomes a RFA and you have to get into a bidding war to keep him.  This brings 2 problems.  First he hasnt proven that he can consistently be a good PG with extended minutes but is already coveted by a lot of teams.  You pay him an extension and he turns into another Will Bynum/Nate Robinson type then he's hard to trade or you let him play it out and if he does well you have to get into a bidding war and end up possibly over paying or end up realizing the guy really just isnt all that and now his value is lower. 

Personally I dont trust his game.  He's an extremely athletic combo guard that has no jumper and has pretty much been that since he was at UK.  Sometimes I think you guys are just looking to have a funboy team similar to the Clippers

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#75 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,481 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted June 20, 2013 - 05:46 AM

Bledsoe is a starting caliber player in the NBA. Maybe not a traditional one, but his defense alone is enough for him to be a starter. In case we make a run at a guy like LBJ in 2014, we don't exactly need a ballhandler.

Also, we can always move him for a high pick or package him with someone else for a player that fits better. Getting Bledsoe is about getting assets who also are athletic defenders which we need.

#76 LakersFanatic

LakersFanatic

Rookie

• 918 posts

Posted June 20, 2013 - 07:25 AM

Yes, but there's more to offensive basketball that just shooting and scoring the ball. LeBron blows away both KD and Kobe in the playmaking and court awareness departments. He's on another level. Kobe never had that kind of court vision or passing ability.

In Kobe's defense, he was capable of turning into a 10+ apg guy overnight. As soon as he realized that that's what was needed of him, he got 14apg in like 3 games in a row. He has always had great court vision and great passing ability, he just never used it. Now that the FO put a few scoring options around him in Nash and Dwight, you see how easy it actually is for him. Just like LeBron with Bosh and Wade.

#77 gque24

gque24

Sixth Man

• 4,157 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted June 20, 2013 - 07:27 AM

didnt we just part ways with an injury prone guy with bad knees?

why run back to same problem?

Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#78 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,809 posts

Posted June 20, 2013 - 08:39 AM

In Kobe's defense, he was capable of turning into a 10+ apg guy overnight. As soon as he realized that that's what was needed of him, he got 14apg in like 3 games in a row. He has always had great court vision and great passing ability, he just never used it. Now that the FO put a few scoring options around him in Nash and Dwight, you see how easy it actually is for him. Just like LeBron with Bosh and Wade.

Kobe can do it for stretches, but playing that style of ball wears him out. MJ had a similar stretch early in his career where he played that playmaker role while still scoring a ton, but it didn't last very long. Those guys are scorers first and foremost whereas LeBron has always been a facilitator. I can't believe some of the passes that LeBron is capable of, especially how EASY he makes it look. He's not flashy either, just ridiculously effective. He could drive baseline, find himself stuck in the air with two guys closing in, and somehow rifle a pass through the defense right on point into a shooters pocket on the perimeter. He makes something as complicated as that look like a trivial play. The fact that he can see these angles and make such accurate plays at his size are what set him apart from Kobe and MJ.

I don't think they were ever as good passing-wise or with knowing what was happening all over the court as LeBron is. The extra two inches in height also helps.

#79 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 37,131 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted June 20, 2013 - 08:45 AM

Magic and Oscar Robertson?

Edited by Majesty, June 20, 2013 - 08:47 AM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#80 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,809 posts

Posted June 20, 2013 - 08:47 AM

Griffin has unique physique and athleticism and he can pass, score and has tools to be good defensively. He could develop into Karl Malone. But seriously, in 2014, who do you think we could get that is better than Griffin?

Remember, if we trade Dwight and get Griffin we'd still be able to sign a max deal. But if we let Dwight walk we can sign a max deal and an additional piece, worth <20 million.

Who is out there, that is better than Griffin that you think you can get in addition to a max guy?

I don't think Griffin is all that unique at all,and he definitely doesn't have the tools to be a good defensive player. He's got an average wingspan and his lateral movement is terrible. He doesn't have any natural defensive instincts either, which are hard to develop. He'd need a ton of work to even become half-decent on that end of the floor. I'm not sure you realize how big of a leap you're making by throwing out Karl Malone there.

I've been saying all along that it's Dwight + All-Star Free Agent or bust. I do not want a pairing of Griffin + All-Star because we won't be good enough to be a contender out West. If Dwight leaves us, we rebuild from the ground up with a fresh slate. You don't gift him to the Clippers to pair him up with Chris Paul and form a potential dynasty right across the hallway. That would be the worst move in Lakers history.

I'm just not understanding why so many of you guys aren't seeing the potential consequences of pairing Chris Paul and Dwight Howard together.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users