Photo

Are you willing to take Blake Griffin if D12 wants to leave or just let D12 walk?

• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

Poll: Willing to get Blake Griffin if D12 walk? (57 member(s) have cast votes)

Yes. Lakers need to atleast get something if D12 wants to leave.

1. No. Blake Griffin is so over rated. I rather use D12 cap space for other things. (25 votes [43.86%])

Percentage of vote: 43.86%

2. Yes. Lakers need to atleast get something if D12 wants to leave. (26 votes [45.61%])

Percentage of vote: 45.61%

3. Not sure what I want to do yet. (6 votes [10.53%])

Percentage of vote: 10.53%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 BLK MAMBA 81

BLK MAMBA 81

Rookie

• 285 posts
  • Name:Jackal Phrenic 210SA
  • Fan Since:96 - Forever
  • Fav. Laker:MR. 81

Posted June 19, 2013 - 01:51 PM

Yes it is really a question because I put a question mark at the end.

😄
I'd say NO!

#42 Projekt

Projekt

Sixth Man

• 3,062 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Derek Fisher

Posted June 19, 2013 - 01:55 PM

If Dwight leaves, my preferred scenario is he's traded for solid first rounders provided by an awful third team and Kobe delays his return. Load up on draft picks and maintain cap space for 2014.

#43 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,754 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted June 19, 2013 - 01:55 PM

And that is the sad part.

yeah it is, but it didn't prevent him from getting good defensive players on his teams. 

But all and all D'antoni would probably love Blake Griffin and would probably hit the roof at the prospect of Nash pick and rolling with Griffin finishing at the basket.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#44 JGuez

JGuez

Off The Bench

• 2,450 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 02:13 PM

My only problem with taking Blake Griffin is we're pretty much making the Clippers a powerhouse. Not only are they on the West Coast, they're in our division. 

It's just too risky to make someone in our division that good of a team.

#45 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,380 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 19, 2013 - 04:08 PM

My only problem with taking Blake Griffin is we're pretty much making the Clippers a powerhouse. Not only are they on the West Coast, they're in our division. 

It's just too risky to make someone in our division that good of a team.

It only matters if we are going to be a contender in the next two-three seasons.  Right now, we aren't, with or without Dwight Howard IMO.  We need a lot of work on this roster and I just don't see that happening until 2015 at the earliest.

#46 211275

Rookie

• 189 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 04:17 PM

A player going into his 4th season just starting to realize his potential for a player going into his 10th with back problems and declining stats? Umm, yes please! Griffin was 3rd in the NBA last season among NBA power forwards and centers with a PER of 22.4, while Dwight Howard was 23rd with a 19.5 PER. Lets do this! 

#47 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,854 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted June 19, 2013 - 04:19 PM

Blake Griffin is a major downgrade and a criminally overrated player.

I would rather let Dwight walk and bring in two top flight free agents in the summer of 2014.

#48 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,549 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted June 19, 2013 - 04:24 PM

Rondo may be traded if Celtics can't get this Clippers trade to go through.

Marc Stein reported about a clippers/celtics trade I believe

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#49 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,380 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 04:43 PM

I would rather let Dwight walk and bring in two top flight free agents in the summer of 2014.

This is what I disagree with.

What two free agents could the Lakers realistically get? Look at the free agent list and see how many players have team options or are restricted free agents.

Looking at it, the best player we might be able to get is Luol Deng or a Chris Bosh.

When you look at the best players, many will more than likely re-up with their respective teams.  In 2015, it's a different story.

#50 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,754 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted June 19, 2013 - 05:04 PM

I agree

yes it happened....

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#51 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,380 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 05:23 PM

I agree

yes it happened....

tumblr_mjw1xxXQ6T1s14h9co1_500.gif

• 40,399 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 05:27 PM

^ :laughing:

I think it's fair to say you're easily the most consistent & best gif poster on this site. You constantly provide us with gems.

Your overall posts as well obviously are among the very best, but that's a whole other category into itself.

yo.

#53 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,380 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 05:35 PM

^ :laughing:

I think it's fair to say you're easily the most consistent & best gif poster on this site. You constantly provide us with gems.

Your overall posts as well obviously are among the very best, but that's a whole other category into itself.

:laughing:

I think .gifs are just the best way to really show emotion when you're behind a computer screen. 

#54 flota

flota

Barca, Lakers, Cowboys, Chivas

• 2,371 posts
  • Fan Since:2008
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe

Posted June 19, 2013 - 05:41 PM

no, let him walk

we need a rebuilding anyway

Imposible is nothing.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty. Inquisitor Lord Fyodor Karamazov.

Alea Iacta Est. Julius Caesar.

#55 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,803 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted June 19, 2013 - 05:44 PM

You know lebron sits in the same category as this then? He is only good at what he does and is one dimensional. However, when he sticks to his game he is very dominant, much like blake can be. He is a young player and is missing all the pieces that can be taught. People say watch lebron get a jumper, watch him get post moves, and well he still doesnt have either and yet he is the best player in the world. Blake is much younger and can learn a post game down low, and if you watch him play he is working on his range as well. Both lebron and blake are great around the rim, and that is about it. Sure bron can be seen as a playmaker, but if you look at blakes rebounding numbers he is a pretty solid rebounder as well, so he has more to his game then you credit him already.

Never understood how people on this board praise lebron from being really dominant but offensively he really is one dimensional in the point his only go to move is get to the hoop, much like blake. However, the hate on blake is that he only does one thing on offense, um yea so does lebron but you laud him and put down blake, doesnt make any sense to me. I understand the kid had some hype to him and so does lebron, but if he is just putting up those numbers just by being an athletic freak that can still add a post game and some range he can blossom into  a great player. IDK his work ethic so I cant speak on if he will get this but you cant say for years Lebron will add a jumper and post game and he hasnt, and then in the same sentence say Blake is one dimensional and will never be anything more.

People say the hate for bron on this board is unreal, I find the hate on Blake much worst maybe because he is a clipper, but there isnt something you can say about blake you cant about lebron. Has one go to move? When not getting to the hoop their game ineffective? No consistent jimmy? Lack of post game? Both of them have this. Yet lebron is the best player in the world and Blake is an overrated scrub? Something is wrong here. Blake can still learn everything people say he doesnt have, you wanted the kid to come out of college dunking like an animal and having a stellar post game? It doesnt work like that as a player matures he adds more to his game, and Blake is still really young at 24. I wouldnt be happy losing dwight at all, but if he is def gonna leave I would take blake griffin and bledsode in a heart beat instead of nothing.

Everyone saying no we are gonna make the clippers real contenders. No we are not, they are the clippers regardless of who they have they will not do well, seen this year and last year. They can have a solid squad and a great bench and still lose in the first round, it is just the curse of being a clipper.

Edit: Blake also averages more ast for his career then gasol who is known as being the best big man passer with apg being 3.6.

I do not agree with this at all. LeBron is definitely not one-dimensional. He has a complete game, the problem is that he's not mentally locked in all the time. He can do anything on the floor, he has no limitations other than his aggressiveness. When he's focused and taking advantage of his mismatches (which he hasn't done for much of this series), there is no way to stop him. There's a reason why he's the best player in the world, it's because he's unstoppable when he's locked in. He doesn't have the same limitations he did in Cleveland because he's vastly improved in both his perimeter and post game. Though he may zone in and out of games from time to time, there's no denying how great of a player he is.

Blake can't shoot and has terrible shot mechanics, has no perimeter game at all, can't orchestrate an offense from the top of the key, can't consistently push a fastbreak or break down defenses off the dribble, isn't anywhere near LeBron in the playmaking department, and he's nowhere near as serious a mismatch for the opposition. You stick length on Blake Griffin, body him up a bit and play physical, and he'll be taken out of the game. Completely ineffective because if he can't get going offensively or in transition then he's got zero impact on the rest of the game.

LeBron isn't ineffective when he's not getting to the paint, he still finds ways to impact the game even if he isn't scoring. That's the appeal of LeBron; he doesn't need to be scoring 25+ nightly to have an impact. He's an elite help defender (Blake has no idea what defense is), a very solid man defender, a great playmaker, great at moving without the ball, and he's a threat all over the floor. You can't just leave LeBron alone wide open, he'll burn you if he's shooting in rhythm. His biggest issue in this series, and in the 2011 Finals, was his tentativeness on the perimeter. We've seen what he's capable of when he's locked in and focused, his performance last night in the 4th quarter and OT is testament to that.

And LeBron HAS gotten a post-game. It's the most effective post-game in the league, and that's not even debatable. He hasn't taken advantage of it in this series, nor has he taken advantage of the spacing San Antonio has granted him, but that's a mental issue. It has nothing to do with his skills and ability. Blake has a minimal post-game, length bothers him considerably, and he doesn't have the coordination or speed and quickness of LeBron in the interior. He can't compare to him.

That's some naive thinking believing that the Clippers will never be relevant just because of their franchise history. That's the same faulty logic I've been hearing from certain Lakers fans the last two years who are, for some strange reason, content with mediocrity. Why is there this thinking that just because we're the Lakers and they're the Clippers that things will remain the status quo? If we continue to make bad decisions as a franchise and shoot ourselves in the foot over and over, the Clippers can easily become better than us. Gifting them Dwight Howard would not be shooting ourselves in the foot, but more like a missile to the face. It would be devastating.

When you combine the best playmaker in the league alongside the best center in the league you create a monstrous duo that will be unbelievably difficult to contain. Just surround them with capable shooters and you have the blueprint for a WCF caliber team. They'll obviously have to address coaching and other departments, but with a duo of Dwight and CP3, they'll have no trouble attracting people for the job. There are many coaches who would LOVE to be the head of that team. I would be very scared of a team featuring Dwight, CP3, a cast of roleplayers who buy into their role, and an effective head coach. I don't care what the name of that team is, that's irrelevant here. Talent wins in the NBA, be it in Los Angeles or some nowhere team like Milwaukee.

As for your last point, assists per game isn't the best indicator of a player's passing ability. Blake has a higher career apg than Shaq, Hakeem, and even Tim Duncan, but you can't run an offense through him like you could with those all-timers. Raw assist numbers just demonstrate the fact that the player can find open teammates who can then finish. There is far more to being a good passer than assist numbers. They need to know when to make a pass, when to be aggressive, how to initiate the offense that leads to a good shot for someone else on the team, how to collapse defenses and find the open man on the perimeter, etc. Just because a player isn't credited with the assist doesn't mean that they weren't responsible for the success on a given offensive possession.

#56 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• 5,430 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Yobe Bryant

Posted June 19, 2013 - 05:52 PM

Sending our future franchise player to the Clippers far and away outweighs what potential impact Blake Griffin can have on the Lakers.

I don't care if they offer a 28 year old clone of Michael Jordan and the damn Tune Squad. We ain't sending Dwight to the Clippers.
iyjywo.jpg

#57 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,803 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 05:53 PM

This is what I disagree with.

What two free agents could the Lakers realistically get? Look at the free agent list and see how many players have team options or are restricted free agents.

Looking at it, the best player we might be able to get is Luol Deng or a Chris Bosh.

When you look at the best players, many will more than likely re-up with their respective teams.  In 2015, it's a different story.

That's the thing though, WITH Dwight you have a solid base you can build around. Dwight Howard is still a top 5 player when he's healthy and the most dominant interior player in the league. When you have that first piece that is so dominant on it's own, then it's much easier to build around it. You give Dwight a running mate and surround them with roleplayers in an actual system and you'll have great success. Bosh would actually be an amazing fit alongside Dwight with a capable perimeter facilitator (doesn't matter if it's at the PG or SG slot). You can do serious damage with an inside-out attack like that. Bosh gets a ton of flak for being soft, but you can't deny his proficiency from the mid-range and how hard he plays (especially in the last few games).

You pair a duo of Blake Griffin and another All-Star caliber player, and you won't come close to sniffing the Finals. It's just not enough, he just can't match the impact that a superstar brings. You'll have Bledsore, Griffin and random All-Star and you'll remain a treadmill team for the foreseeable future. The only reason that the Clippers have had two of their best seasons ever is due to adding a top 5 player in Chris Paul to their team. Take him away, replace him with a combination of another All-Star + a solid roleplayer and the Clippers struggle to even qualify for the postseason.  Our future will be very bleak if we gift the Clippers Dwight Howard and allow them to pair up two of the best players in the league in the middle of their primes.

• 40,399 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 05:57 PM

LeBron & Dwight are definitely not the most skilled players in the league, but it is their combination of extreme freak athleticism and strength that make them so damn dominant.

yo.

#59 androsays

androsays

representing infinity with presidencies

• 4,737 posts
  • Name:andro
  • Fan Since:90s
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted June 19, 2013 - 06:02 PM

I do not agree with this at all............................

there is really no point in arguing with these guys, but great post nonetheless 

2div

#60 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,803 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 06:12 PM

LeBron & Dwight are definitely not the most skilled players in the league, but it is their combination of extreme freak athleticism and strength that make them so damn dominant.

LeBron is definitely up there, I'm not sure how that's even questionable. You can't just be a physical behemoth and dominate the game without skill. His game may not be as pretty as others, but he can do everything on the floor. His passing is elite, basketball IQ is off the charts, and he just understands how to play the game. There's more to being a skilful player than having good footwork and a pretty jumper. If LeBron were simply a physical freak with only some skill, then he'd be no different from Shawn Kemp, but that's clearly not the case.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users