• Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted April 02, 2014 - 03:09 PM

1505123_582843631814008_1840227676_n.jpg

6999_713736118670399_1265946178_n.jpg

Pau Gasol is GONE

• 40,378 posts

Posted April 04, 2014 - 01:13 AM

Stephen A. Smith and Skip Bayless discuss if Jadeveon Clowney should be drafted #1 overall in the NFL Draft.

yo.

#885 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,772 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted April 04, 2014 - 02:36 PM

Sounds bitter TBH.

Not an eagles fan, and disliked desean as an eagle and still do now. He is just a speedster that had his best season ever thanks to a system that thrives off a lot of plays and stretching the field. At the end of the day he isn't even close to the elite wr's in the league, but he was making elite money smart business move to say the least. A WR that can't go acorss the middle or go up in the air and fight for the ball and is just a deep threat isn't worth 9 mil a year. Not the best wr in the NFC east, not even the best wr on the redskins, but that is how he was made to look in the news.

Edited by PhillyLaker24, April 04, 2014 - 02:43 PM.

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

• 40,378 posts

Posted April 04, 2014 - 03:54 PM

Jackson just had a 30 minute interview with Stephen A. Smith. Expect it to be all over for a while.

yo.

#887 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,772 posts

Posted April 04, 2014 - 07:34 PM

^^^Yea ESPN gave it a lot of air time already.

#888 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,013 posts
  • Name:Will

Posted April 04, 2014 - 09:18 PM

Not an eagles fan, and disliked desean as an eagle and still do now. He is just a speedster that had his best season ever thanks to a system that thrives off a lot of plays and stretching the field. At the end of the day he isn't even close to the elite wr's in the league, but he was making elite money smart business move to say the least. A WR that can't go acorss the middle or go up in the air and fight for the ball and is just a deep threat isn't worth 9 mil a year. Not the best wr in the NFC east, not even the best wr on the redskins, but that is how he was made to look in the news.

I gotta play devil's advocate here.

Desean Jackson has been over 1000 yards in 3 outta his 6 seasons in the NFL. The three times he didn't reach 1000 yards was his rookie season (912 yards), 2011 (961 yhards), and 2012 when he missed 5 games (700 yards).

Statistically, he does look to be the best WR on the Redskins roster.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#889 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,772 posts

Posted April 05, 2014 - 08:46 AM

I gotta play devil's advocate here.

Desean Jackson has been over 1000 yards in 3 outta his 6 seasons in the NFL. The three times he didn't reach 1000 yards was his rookie season (912 yards), 2011 (961 yhards), and 2012 when he missed 5 games (700 yards).

Statistically, he does look to be the best WR on the Redskins roster.

Last year was only Garcons first year as a number one wr playing 16 games. Desean has been the number one option in Philly for years now being that Maclin was often injured and even when Maclin was on the field the number one target in the offense was still Jackson because of his home run ability. Garcons first season as a number one guy and playing 16 games he had 113 catches and 1346 yards. Garcon is the more complete WR and can do more things from the posistion. Desean is the best in the game at what he does, stretch the field no doubt. However, there is more to a WR than being a deep threat. Garcon is just as likely to catch a 55 yard bomb as he is to go over the middle and pick up a 25 yard catch in traffic and take a hit.

I would take Garcon over Desean considering he has a cheaper contract, isn't known for being a selfish player, and on top of this isn't a one trick pony. I don't think anyone would put deasean in their top 5 WR  in the league, but that is the money he was making and the attitude he had. Djax isn't half the WR as Dez but was making almost 9 times his base last year (albeit Dez is on his rookie contract) Another beast in the NFC east is Victor Cruz who just inked a new big deal, but DJAX was making 10 times what he made last year. Jackson also has more guranteed than Cruz and over the length of the deal they both average around the same amount (8 mil). Think Djax is on the same level as Cruz? Djax isn't a top five wr in the league and is in the bottom of the top 5 in the NFC east.

Edited by PhillyLaker24, April 05, 2014 - 08:50 AM.

#890 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,013 posts

Posted April 05, 2014 - 09:22 AM

You gotta pump the brakes on Garcon. He's been in the league for six seasons and he's only broken the 1000 yard barrier once. Jackson has been more productive than Garcon thus far.

And Garcon was targeted 184 times as well. That's almost 60 times more than Jackson yet they're neck-and-neck in yardage.

I'm really not trying to place one over the other. 

Pau Gasol is GONE

#891 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,772 posts

Posted April 05, 2014 - 09:40 AM

^^^ I agree their pretty neck and neck, but after watching Jackson for years and knowing how he benefited from the systems that have been in Philly I just feel like ESPN blew up the whole ordeal so big and made him out to be a much better player than he actually is. The third best WR in the worst conference in football last year and ESPN made it like Babe Ruth was cut from the Yankees. The amount of money he was making on top of his attitude problems the eagles made a good business decision IMO. Dude was set to make 10.5 mil this year. That is a lot of money and a lot more than WR who are much better than him. Eagles cut an overpaid and attitude problem player, last I checked that was a good move for a team.

#892 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,013 posts

Posted April 05, 2014 - 09:55 AM

After getting abruptly cut by the Eagles, DeSean Jackson has signed a three-year, $24 million deal with the Washington Redskins.

According to widespread reports, he'll get $16 million guaranteed.That's a relatively small figure.

When you compare it to some of the contracts handed out to wide receivers in recent years, you see that the Redskins got a No. 1 wide receiver for No. 2 wide receiver money here.

Washington basically signed Jackson to a shorter version of the contract the Jets gave Eric Decker in March. 

Decker's deal is for $15 million guaranteed ($36.25 million total) over five years. While he had similar 2013 statistics to Jackson, he did it with a two big caveats — he had Peyton Manning throwing to him and he was playing against single coverage all year.

The contract Golden Tate got from Detroit is also in Jackson's range at $13.25 million guaranteed ($31.5 million total) over five years.

Tate and Decker are very good No. 2 wide receivers. Jackson is a proven No. 1 wide receiver in a top-five offense.

The Redskins got him cheap.

No. 1 wide receivers who have comparable stats to Jackson have commanded some monster contracts in free agency in recent years. Mike Wallace got $30 million guaranteed ($65 million total) from Miami in 2013. Vincent Jackson got $26 million guaranteed ($55 million total) from Tampa in 2012. DeSean Jackson's numbers say that he's in this class of wide receivers.

There's a reason why Washington got Jackson so cheap. Chip Kelly reportedly wanted to get rid of Jackson because of off-the-field issues, even before the gang allegations came out.

But at the end of the day Jackson has zero criminal history, and if he puts up the numbers he has put up his entire career, this is a brilliant signing for Washington.

http://www.businessi...contract-2014-4

Edited by Windu, April 05, 2014 - 09:56 AM.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#893 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,772 posts

Posted April 05, 2014 - 12:17 PM

Love how he points out the most over paid wr's (Jackson and Wallace) to say the redskins got a deal. Thats like saying look at Pau's contract, the Bulls got a steal on Boozer...

Writer must be a skins fan. They do have one of the best duos at WR now though. However, they need a QB. RG3 is a walking injury, who doesn't have the players in the locker room behind him because of the special benefits he get for supposedly being the golden child to carry the skins somewhere. Cousins isn't bad, but not a franchise QB at this point at least. I can see the skin's being at the bottom of the NFC east again. Their defense is pretty bad, and their QB play is a toss up from game to game.

The broncos got a deep threat in Sanders for more than a third cheaper per year. Wouldn't be surprised he has a better year than Jackson due to him now being in a pass happy offense and having a guy name manning. Jackson and RG3 could be a good combo due to the arm strength and speed put together. Will have to see where how that plays out. Desean was in no way a steal he is actually being paid what he is worth now. 10.5 was what he would of made this year about 1.5 more than a guy named Brandon Marshall who is a much better wr.

Edited by PhillyLaker24, April 05, 2014 - 12:27 PM.

#894 Danny

Danny

Rookie

• 389 posts
  • Name:Danny
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted April 05, 2014 - 01:11 PM

Garcon is not better than jackson, period

#895 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,013 posts

Posted April 05, 2014 - 05:17 PM

Love how he points out the most over paid wr's (Jackson and Wallace) to say the redskins got a deal. Thats like saying look at Pau's contract, the Bulls got a steal on Boozer...

The broncos got a deep threat in Sanders for more than a third cheaper per year. Wouldn't be surprised he has a better year than Jackson due to him now being in a pass happy offense and having a guy name manning. Jackson and RG3 could be a good combo due to the arm strength and speed put together. Will have to see where how that plays out. Desean was in no way a steal he is actually being paid what he is worth now. 10.5 was what he would of made this year about 1.5 more than a guy named Brandon Marshall who is a much better wr.

Washington got a deal because they didn't have to give up any draft picks for Desean Jackson. 3/24 Mil deal. 

Vincent Jackson has been productive in Tampa with garbage QBs throwing him the ball. Look at Emmanuel Sanders' stats and tell me how they're in any way comparable to Vincent Jackson (or Mike Wallace for that matter).

Edited by Windu, April 06, 2014 - 04:59 AM.

Pau Gasol is GONE

• 40,378 posts

Posted April 06, 2014 - 12:25 AM

yo.

#897 Icker

Icker

Hall Of Fame

• 8,846 posts

Posted April 06, 2014 - 08:26 AM

He may not be a gang member, but he does own his fair share of baggage.

It wasn't just [Kelly] that wanted him gone. [Kelly] got a lot of feedback from guys that felt we were better off without [Jackson], too. [Kelly] is very much a player's coach. His office is open to anyone. Now [Jackson] is the Redskins' problem.

http://www.silverand...-signing-desean

#898 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,772 posts

Posted April 06, 2014 - 02:35 PM

Washington got a deal because they didn't have to give up any draft picks for Desean Jackson. 3/24 Mil deal. 

Vincent Jackson has been productive in Tampa with garbage QBs throwing him the ball. Look at Emmanuel Sanders' stats and tell me how they're in any way comparable to Vincent Jackson (or Mike Wallace for that matter).

He played in Pitt being the third option in the passing game and in an offense that isn't known for slinging the ball around. Jackson is a good WR I didn't say he was bad, but overpaid? Yea. He is making more money than the likes of victor cruz, bmarsh, welker, dez,julio, etc

Sanders has the ability to put up huge numbers in an offense that uses him right, something that Desean has benefited from his whole career. Football is super different than basketball in the aspect that schemes and the way a team operates impacts the performance of players much more. Just ask Randy Moss when he was in OAK. Still was the best WR in the league and put up basically pedestrian numbers because of the situation. The opposite was seen with the likes of Sydney Rice, a tall WR that had a guy slinging him the ball name Brett Farve and he looked like the next WR up, and how good is he now? I am not saying Jackson will fall off by any means, but that he has had the benefit of being in offenses that have always been up tempto, pass oriented, and worked with QB's that liked throwing the ball down field.

Like I said I could see Desean and Sanders putting up very similar type numbers next year. You see what Manning and that broncos offense did for DT and Decker? Made them studs, same could happen to sanders. Desean could run into problems with shaky QB play, no longer being the number one guy, and not being in the same scheme. He will certainly benefit from having Garcon on the other side of him, but how all these things will mix together and impact his play is yet to be seen since the season hasn't been started.

Edited by PhillyLaker24, April 06, 2014 - 02:48 PM.

#899 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,772 posts

Posted April 06, 2014 - 02:44 PM

Looking at the stats from last year I don't see how you can say it is clear cut. Majority of Jackson's yardage comes from long balls and big plays. That is what he does and like I said he is the best in the league at that right now. However, what else can he do? Is he known for running the crispest routes? How about able to deal with a physical corner that bumps him off the line? Does he picks up those hard yards needed for that 3rd and long? Does he go across the middle and catch in traffic? No. He is a speedster and lives off that and he is great at what he does. He just doesn't do all the things I like to see out of a WR. Garcon on the other hand can do all the things mentioned above and still had a stellar year even though the QB play in WAS was terrible this year. Jackson on the other hand had one of the most efficient and on point QB play all year with a top three rusher on his team as well.

Like I said before the construction of a football team (coach,players,schemes) all impact the production of the players a significant amount. Mike Wallace looked like a beast in PIT due to being the number one option since Ward was declining and Brown didn't start to shine yet. What happened to his production once he went to MIA?

Baggage and overpaid, his cut shouldn't be surprising. The big story was because of the gang thing tacked on. Eagles should of just said it how they ment it, Desean you dont fit into this teams way of thinking and your being overpaid, pack your bags your fired.

Edited by PhillyLaker24, April 06, 2014 - 02:49 PM.

#900 Danny

Danny

Rookie

• 389 posts
  • Name:Danny
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted April 06, 2014 - 03:26 PM

Looking at the stats from last year I don't see how you can say it is clear cut. Majority of Jackson's yardage comes from long balls and big plays. That is what he does and like I said he is the best in the league at that right now. However, what else can he do? Is he known for running the crispest routes? How about able to deal with a physical corner that bumps him off the line? Does he picks up those hard yards needed for that 3rd and long? Does he go across the middle and catch in traffic? No. He is a speedster and lives off that and he is great at what he does. He just doesn't do all the things I like to see out of a WR. Garcon on the other hand can do all the things mentioned above and still had a stellar year even though the QB play in WAS was terrible this year. Jackson on the other hand had one of the most efficient and on point QB play all year with a top three rusher on his team as well.

Like I said before the construction of a football team (coach,players,schemes) all impact the production of the players a significant amount. Mike Wallace looked like a beast in PIT due to being the number one option since Ward was declining and Brown didn't start to shine yet. What happened to his production once he went to MIA?

Baggage and overpaid, his cut shouldn't be surprising. The big story was because of the gang thing tacked on. Eagles should of just said it how they ment it, Desean you dont fit into this teams way of thinking and your being overpaid, pack your bags your fired.

It's not about what else he can do. If he is effective going long and scoring, then what's the problem. Thr point is to get yards and score. Desean is the better reciever, no argument there. He is better than garcon, man.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users