• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#81 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,623 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted June 19, 2013 - 12:19 AM

Yea idk where you guys are getting your info about the S&T available till july 1. 

#82 LakersFanatic

LakersFanatic

Rookie

• 914 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 19, 2013 - 03:50 AM

Yea idk where you guys are getting your info about the S&T available till july 1. 

Probably Chris Broussard

#83 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,464 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted June 19, 2013 - 06:50 AM

Not true, guys.

1) The limitations for receiving in a S&T start this summer (the 2013-14 NBA season). We cannot receive a S&T'ed player.

2) The Bucks cannot trade Monta Ellis before July 1st. He has a Player Option. No team can trade a player from the trade deadline, up until the free agency period, that has a Player Option, Team Option, or an ETO.

It's not going to happen, because it can't.

1. Correct

2. I'm not sure about this one. If Monta decides to pick up the option, i think he could get traded after the 1st of july. 

#84 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,866 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted June 19, 2013 - 07:58 AM

2. I'm not sure about this one. If Monta decides to pick up the option, i think he could get traded after the 1st of july.

That's why I said "up until the free agency period." I'm assuming ONE of two things here:

1) We're discussing what trades for Ellis we can make before July 1st, OR

2) We're discussing what happens when Monta Ellis declines his Player Option and becomes a free agent

In your scenario, three things will have to happen. The Lakers will have to be interested and willing to deal for him, the Bucks will need to find players (that LA will trade) that will be more valuable to them than just letting Monta Ellis walk for cap space in 2014, and finally, Ellis has to want the Lakers enough to take a player option and trust that the Bucks make the deal AFTER. He doesn't have much time left to decide, and no deal can be made until he takes his PO with no promises.

#85 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,464 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 08:20 AM

That's why I said "up until the free agency period." I'm assuming ONE of two things here:

1) We're discussing what trades for Ellis we can make before July 1st, OR

2) We're discussing what happens when Monta Ellis declines his Player Option and becomes a free agent

In your scenario, three things will have to happen. The Lakers will have to be interested and willing to deal for him, the Bucks will need to find players (that LA will trade) that will be more valuable to them than just letting Monta Ellis walk for cap space in 2014, and finally, Ellis has to want the Lakers enough to take a player option and trust that the Bucks make the deal AFTER. He doesn't have much time left to decide, and no deal can be made until he takes his PO with no promises.

You just made it sound like it was impossible. Basically, the Bucks who know that Monta is leaving give LA a call and ask if they'd do a Pau for Monta deal (with an additional piece included - like Ilyasova or Mbah a Moute) and if the Lakers are intested, they let Monta know that there is a deal in place following july 1st. 

Regardless, Monta shouldn't be a Laker. 

#86 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,866 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted June 19, 2013 - 10:25 AM

Basically, the Bucks who know that Monta is leaving

There's the thing, though. Put yourself in Monta's shoes for a minute. You know these things:

1) The deal COULD fall through. Then, you're stuck in Milwaukee, because not very many teams will trade for a non-all star player who will become an unrestricted free agent after one season.

2) The Lakers still have a plan for the 2014 free agency period, so if Monta's dream is to play for us, it's probably the worst timing, and he'll be able to make more money elsewhere.

3) If the Bucks know he wants to leave, and the feeling is mutual, why wouldn't he just waive the option?

-----

What I'm saying is, there's no way we can get Ellis before July 1st (no matter what), and if he becomes a free agent, there's no way we will be able to get him this summer. There are so many variables that would have to be considered, once he takes a Player Option that could trap him in Milwaukee for another season, that it just isn't likely.

But if we speak on near impossible situations, then sure, we can say there's still the smallest chance...but then, I might as well start talking about us letting Dwight Howard walk, hitting Kobe with the amnesty, and just signing Ellis outright...which is possible, but would blow my mind if it actually took place.

#87 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,464 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 10:46 AM

There's the thing, though. Put yourself in Monta's shoes for a minute. You know these things:

1) The deal COULD fall through. Then, you're stuck in Milwaukee, because not very many teams will trade for a non-all star player who will become an unrestricted free agent after one season.

2) The Lakers still have a plan for the 2014 free agency period, so if Monta's dream is to play for us, it's probably the worst timing, and he'll be able to make more money elsewhere.

3) If the Bucks know he wants to leave, and the feeling is mutual, why wouldn't he just waive the option?

-----

What I'm saying is, there's no way we can get Ellis before July 1st (no matter what), and if he becomes a free agent, there's no way we will be able to get him this summer. There are so many variables that would have to be considered, once he takes a Player Option that could trap him in Milwaukee for another season, that it just isn't likely.

But if we speak on near impossible situations, then sure, we can say there's still the smallest chance...but then, I might as well start talking about us letting Dwight Howard walk, hitting Kobe with the amnesty, and just signing Ellis outright...which is possible, but would blow my mind if it actually took place.

First of all, i dont particularly like Monta Ellis. But Dwight does and if getting Ellis can help us keep Dwight, then why not see if something can be worked out. I'm not sure if they're willing to do a Ellis-Ilyasova deal, but why not look into it. 

Second, Ellis will run a bit of a risk by opting in and he'd need to know that a deal was in place for him, come july 1st, but he isn't getting more money elsewhere and there aren't really any contenders who will sign him either. In LA he'd have one year to prove what he can do and with Kobe's injury he may get a lot of minutes. For Ellis, this could be a risk worth taking. 

#88 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,682 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted June 19, 2013 - 12:59 PM

The only option we have realistically to sign him is if he took a lot less money and signed the mMLE

Once thought to be impossible but like I said after reading this on nba.com

It seems unlikely that the streaky, 27-year-old guard will garner a higher salary on the open market than the one he’s turning down, but his unwillingness to stay in Milwaukee and his reported interest in teaming up with Dwight Howard undoubtedly fueled this decision.

It seemed all the more likely that we could sign him for less money.    We can't pay him 11 million.

But if he wants to play with Dwight obviously it means he wants to win, he just left 24 million on the table with Milwaukee.  I don't expect 100% that he'd take a contract like the mMLE in order to be here.

But if he does want to play with Dwight and that helped fuel his decision and we do re-sign him, I would assume he'd do so knowing how much we could actually pay him.

Once again Dwight is our bargaining chip.  And Mitch is hoping Dwight re-signs so that we could lure some free agents that are worth more, but that they could get for less.

hence why Mitch is targeting people like Martell Webster and apparently also Monta Ellis.

if Kobe is truly shooting for a November or December return we'll need a guy like Ellis to take that spot till he comes back.

Meeks ain't gonna do it from there. 

That's why Mitch will be after Monta and if anyone COULD convince Monta to take less money it would be Mitch.

And I would assume if Monta left Milwaukee because of his interest of playing with Dwight that he'd be easier to convince to make it happen.

All of this becomes moot if Dwight doesn't re-sign so once again, we need that to happen if we're gonna land Monta to fill in for Kobe and eventually become our 6th man.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users