87 replies to this topic

#61 BleedPurple&Gold

BleedPurple&Gold

All-Star

• 6,398 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe,Magic

Posted June 18, 2013 - 08:49 AM

Still it doesnt matter and You dont know that. Already know we would have the better team and better chance to win if we get Ellis so you dont have to show me that. He never said he wanted to come to Lakers he said he wanted to play with dwight howard and that does not mean it will be with Lakers. last time I checked the Lakers were interested in him not the other way around.  He didn't leave because of dwight howard he leaved because it was the Bucks. Like I said the only way Ellis wears purple and gold next season is via sign-and-trade. And considering the lack of trade assets we have, the odds of this happening seem incredibly low. he is damn sure not coming here for the 3 Mill. And he knew this before he probably opted out so it has to be for another team. so how could it be only with Lakers. because its the lakers? So how  does it go from cold to lukewarm. It will never happen

Monta Ellis is not Chris Paul.  He doesn't have the play ability nor the convincing power to get a superstar player to come play for a team he's on.

He didn't exactly say "Hey Dwight come play on the Bucks with me!"  Why not? 

One, he ain't got that power.

Two, the Bucks won't win. 

And Neither would Atlanta nor Dallas. 

That's why Ellis is asking to be with Dwight, not the other way around.

Monta Ellis isn't the kind of player that would convince a superstar to come to play with him.  He's not a Kobe, a LeBron or a Dwight. 

Chris Paul is, Dwight Howard is, Kobe Bryant is, Monta Ellis isn't.

When players want to play with Kobe, they come to the Lakers.   When it comes to the "Let's play together" between two superstars they can go to a team together to form a superteam.  It doesn't go down between a role player and a superstar.

It's not the same as Chris Paul in any stretch of the form.

Case in point of Monta wants to play with Dwight, the two aren't making plans to go take over Dallas or Atlanta together.

Dwight and Chris Paul may be able to make plans like that if they chose to.   Dwight and Monta....no. 

They want to play together but not at the expense of losses.

They AREN'T gonna just go to a team to say "lets play together" to lose games.

Monta is not the corner stone of ANY franchise and him and Dwight just going to dallas or Atlanta doesn't make them contenders nor championship contenders.

And Dwight isn't gonna leave Los Angeles just to go play somewhere with a friend, if they have no chance at making a dent in the playoffs.    And no one is quivering at the thought of a Monta Ellis Dwight Howard lead team.

That is why you won't see the two of them going to Dallas "just to play together" or going to Atlanta "just to play together"

Because it has more than "just play together" it's about "WINNING" together too. 

They aren't winning in Dallas or Atlanta. 

You would have a better argument of trying to say that he'd join Dwight in Houston, but Houston if they signed Dwight would be in worse CBA hell than we are and he'd be getting even less money than he would here.

Like I said, it ain't "let's play together" its "lets win together" and a Monta Ellis Dwight Howard lead team goes nowhere.

But a Monta Ellis off the bench for Kobe Bryant and Dwight Howard lead team where at times Ellis would also cut into Steve Nash's minutes as well during certain situations would.

It's about how appealing the team is that they would join forces on so you tell me what's more enticing.

Steve Nash/Steve Blake
Kobe Bryant/Monta Ellis
Earl Clark/MWP
Pau Gasol/Jordan Hill

Dwight Howard

or

Dwight Howard
Monta Ellis
Dirk Nowitski
Collison
OJ Mayo(unless he's gone)

or

Al Hortford
Dwight Howard
Monta Ellis

Neither the Mavericks nor Atlanta have teams that would satisfy the want to win as well as play together.

They aren't playing together "in spite" of winning or losing.
They'd play together to "ensure" winning.

And the Mavs and the Hawks can't offer them that guarantee nor depth that the Lakers can and would.

Big difference.

Edited by BleedPurple&Gold, June 18, 2013 - 09:22 AM.

9888d4ba-ad6b-4879-93aa-9ef1c6ed1dbd_zps

#62 Lord Flashheart

Lord Flashheart

I do the walk of life.

• 1,820 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted June 18, 2013 - 10:31 AM

Am I the only one thinking "No,thanks" ? I mean,no more alleged star players. Fill the bench with good role players who know they exact role and play hard every single [expletive]ing night. 

Impossible is nothing.

#63 noknife

noknife

Sixth Man

• 3,223 posts
  • Fan Since:1978
  • Fav. Laker:Shaquille Oneal/Kobe Bryant

Posted June 18, 2013 - 10:53 AM

Monta Ellis is rivaled only by Rudy Gay in the overrated/underperforming NBA "star" category.  No thanks.

• 40,431 posts

Posted June 18, 2013 - 11:31 AM

^ Blake Griffin doesn't maybe fit in there somewhat as well?

yo.

#65 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,875 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 18, 2013 - 11:56 AM

He would have to take the mini-MLE from us (which will not happen). Otherwise, we can't acquire him. We can't be on the receiving end of a S&T deal.

No point in even discussing this, because we aren't going to let Howard walk and amnesty Kobe, just to bring Ellis in.

#66 SweatShop

SweatShop

Throwin Rootbeers In Your Fridge

• 603 posts
  • Fan Since:Pre_History
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted June 18, 2013 - 03:35 PM

Sign and trade with the Bucks.

Pau Gasol and Chris Duhon for Ellis and Illyasova.

Illyasova is a spread 4 who is an up and coming player and will actually be a good fit in MDA's offense.

This deal would be a pipedream.

Nash, Ellis, Kobe, Illyasova, Howard

but

Sign and trade with the Bucks.

Pau Gasol and Chris Duhon for Ellis and Illyasova.

Illyasova is a spread 4 who is an up and coming player and will actually be a good fit in MDA's offense.

This deal would be a pipedream.

Nash, Ellis, Kobe, Illyasova, Howard.

for the right price, i would love to have monta as a 6th man designated scorer  who can create his own shot but thats not even remotely likely. with that said, i dont think paying what they are likely to for him is the right move as even if it brings dwight around, they wont be good enough to win it all. that lineup will have dwight angry fast when he's fouling out because of the lack of defense on the perimeter(well, combined with his compulsive need to commit stupid fouls). unless he wants to take a massive paycut or a one year contract to play with his buddy, i wouldnt jeopardize the freedom of cap space for dwights friend.

Abdul-Jabbar told the San Francisco Chronicle last month he met Howard only once and that Howard expressed an interest in learning from the former Lakers captain but he never again reached out to Abdul-Jabbar.

‘He’s charming, he’s charismatic, very nice young man,’ Abdul-Jabbar said. ‘Maturity-wise, he doesn’t get it.’

#67 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,230 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted June 18, 2013 - 03:54 PM

but

for the right price, i would love to have monta as a 6th man designated scorer  who can create his own shot but thats not even remotely likely. with that said, i dont think paying what they are likely to for him is the right move as even if it brings dwight around, they wont be good enough to win it all. that lineup will have dwight angry fast when he's fouling out because of the lack of defense on the perimeter(well, combined with his compulsive need to commit stupid fouls). unless he wants to take a massive paycut or a one year contract to play with his buddy, i wouldnt jeopardize the freedom of cap space for dwights friend.

ok for the 4th time WE CANNOT S&T. WE ARE IN THE LUXURY TAX AND CANNOT BE ON THE RECEIVING END OF A S&T.

There is no but's. No what if's. Nothing. The only thing we could do is offer him the mini. Thats it. 

#68 SweatShop

SweatShop

Throwin Rootbeers In Your Fridge

• 603 posts
  • Fan Since:Pre_History
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted June 18, 2013 - 04:30 PM

ok for the 4th time WE CANNOT S&T. WE ARE IN THE LUXURY TAX AND CANNOT BE ON THE RECEIVING END OF A S&T.

There is no but's. No what if's. Nothing. The only thing we could do is offer him the mini. Thats it. 

thanks for shouting and parroting,I KNOW THAT ALREADY though it did slip my mind, but technically he doesnt have to be a free agent as he is opting out. it was also partly of a response to a hypothetical. take a chill pill, it will make oyu feel better. maybe i should read all the way down before replying but you should consider that when someone replies to an earlier comment.

Edited by SweatShop, June 18, 2013 - 04:36 PM.

Abdul-Jabbar told the San Francisco Chronicle last month he met Howard only once and that Howard expressed an interest in learning from the former Lakers captain but he never again reached out to Abdul-Jabbar.

‘He’s charming, he’s charismatic, very nice young man,’ Abdul-Jabbar said. ‘Maturity-wise, he doesn’t get it.’

#69 Lakers4Life

Lakers4Life

Bleeds Purple & Gold

• 3,269 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 18, 2013 - 05:58 PM

Doenst this apply next year? I remember it was 2014 they ban S&T for luxury tax teams. 

Laker fan for life.

#70 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 38,506 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted June 18, 2013 - 06:09 PM

Doenst this apply next year? I remember it was 2014 they ban S&T for luxury tax teams. 

Yes it does.  So we have till July 1st id assume.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#71 Lakers4Life

Lakers4Life

Bleeds Purple & Gold

• 3,269 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 18, 2013 - 06:14 PM

Yes it does.  So we have till July 1st id assume.

Hmm i remmeber 2014 "off-season" this sitll counts as 2013 off-season. 

Laker fan for life.

#72 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,506 posts

Posted June 18, 2013 - 06:21 PM

Also hearing that prior to the Grizzlies off-season decisions(im guessing Hollins) that Ellis was interested in joining the Grizzlies.  But that name has apparently not shown up as of late.   And the reason the Lakers name comes up is because he expresses interest in playing with Dwight Howard. 

Basically the only team he'd take less money on THAT kind of level would be the Lakers if it meant playing with Dwight Howard(again, Dwight being here is an enormous bargaining chip along with our 2014 plan going forward)

But he was also interested in the Grizzlies but given their off-season decisions that enthusiasm seems to have died down and the Grizzlies aren't expressing interest in signing him.

Prior to the firing, Monta on the Grizzlies with Lionel Hollins would have made perfect sense.  They'd basically be getting a poor man's Rudy Gay without the defense and size.    This playoffs taught them, they'd rather have Rudy Gay taking those perimeter jumpers over Tayshaun Prince.

I'm guessing they'll look for a perimeter shooter and defender.   Ellis fits one of those categories.  But not both which is why they haven't shown any interest in him, yet anyway.

Edited by Majesty, June 18, 2013 - 06:23 PM.

#73 5thDroog

5thDroog

Kapow!

• 14,731 posts
  • Fav. Laker:24,32,33,44,13,22,16,34,5,2

Posted June 18, 2013 - 08:05 PM

Monta Ellis is the surgically enhanced girl at the bar. You're interested in her, you want to bed her... But you can't make a move becasuse she will surely turn you down for offering her a corona beer.

#74 KobeBeef24

KobeBeef24

O' Canada!

• 1,255 posts
  • Fan Since:2007
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, MWP, Swaggy P, LO, Pau

Posted June 18, 2013 - 08:49 PM

I was just curious, do we have a MLE AND a mini MLE? Whats the value on both of those?

And are they 1 year contracts?

Edited by KobeBeef24, June 18, 2013 - 08:49 PM.

#75 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,506 posts

Posted June 18, 2013 - 09:11 PM

I was just curious, do we have a MLE AND a mini MLE? Whats the value on both of those?

And are they 1 year contracts?

MLE is up to 5-8 million I think.

mMLE is 3 million over 2 years.

Anybody correct me if I'm wrong please.

#76 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,567 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted June 18, 2013 - 09:17 PM

Monta Ellis is the surgically enhanced girl at the bar. You're interested in her, you want to bed her... But you can't make a move becasuse she will surely turn you down for offering her a corona beer.

Monta Ellis is the girl that looks good from a distance when you're drunk, but when you wake up the next morning and looks a bit closer, she looks like Chewbacca. 

MLE is up to 5-8 million I think.

mMLE is 3 million over 2 years.

Anybody correct me if I'm wrong please.

That's probably about right. We only have the mMLE though. 

#77 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,506 posts

Posted June 18, 2013 - 09:21 PM

No Monta Ellis is the girl who's sort of attractive and would be a good relationship if she worked on her personality but rather than working on herself she watches prettier girls at the bar getting all the guys and hates on them to her girlfriends bragging about how she could get those guys anytime she wanted and then eventually tries to go pickup the same guy and fails miserably but somehow finds a nice guy willing to buy her a drink but because he isn't hot enough she doesn't give him her number and then walks over to her friends talking about "Where are all the nice guys in this world"

Gosh I need to go to bed :smh:

Edited by Majesty, June 18, 2013 - 09:23 PM.

#78 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,876 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted June 18, 2013 - 09:22 PM

No Monta Ellis is the girl who's sort of attractive and would be a good relationship if she worked on her personality but rather than working on herself she watches prettier girls at the bar getting all the guys and hates on them to her girlfriends bragging about how she could get those guys anytime she wanted and then eventually tries to go pickup the same guy and fails miserably but somehow finds a nice guy willing to buy her a drink but because he isn't hot enough she doesn't give him her number and then walks over to her friends talking about "Where are all the nice guys in this world"

Gosh I need to go to bed :smh:

No, no, no.

Monte ellis is the type of girl that is like...

Lol I just had to, love how that comparison went of for a while ahah

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#79 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,506 posts

Posted June 18, 2013 - 09:23 PM

No, no, no.

Monte ellis is the type of girl that is like...

Lol I just had to, love how that comparison went of for a while ahah

I should have summarized it by just posting this

#80 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,875 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted June 18, 2013 - 11:26 PM

Not true, guys.

1) The limitations for receiving in a S&T start this summer (the 2013-14 NBA season). We cannot receive a S&T'ed player.

2) The Bucks cannot trade Monta Ellis before July 1st. He has a Player Option. No team can trade a player from the trade deadline, up until the free agency period, that has a Player Option, Team Option, or an ETO.

It's not going to happen, because it can't.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users