• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#41 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 15,061 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted June 17, 2013 - 10:24 PM

Didn't ellis leave for more money? We cant S&T and our mini is like what 3.5 mill for one season. Idk why he would take that.

#42 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 30,759 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted June 17, 2013 - 10:28 PM

Didn't ellis leave for more money? We cant S&T and our mini is like what 3.5 mill for one season. Idk why he would take that.

If Monta took that it would show two things.

One: He cares about winning

Two: He cares so much about winning he's willing to come off the bench when Kobe returns if it leads to a championship.

Two things you would NEVER consider going together in a Monta Ellis sentence. BUT if he made those sacrifices I would definitely want THAT Monta Ellis cause his head would be in the right place to start.

I've always liked Steve Blake.

#43 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 15,061 posts

Posted June 17, 2013 - 10:37 PM

Two: He cares so much about winning he's willing to come off the bench when Kobe returns if it leads to a championship.

Two things you would NEVER consider going together in a Monta Ellis sentence. BUT if he made those sacrifices I would definitely want THAT Monta Ellis cause his head would be in the right place to start.

Where are you getting this from. Elis to me want money and fame(being a starter). Being kobe's backup does not exactly say this. If he takes the mini then awesome but I would be shocked if he did. Idk anyone who has left a 11 mill contract for 3+ mill contract. Also its not like we have dwight. Right now all signs say he's leaving. Pretty sure that doesn't scream winning team when one of your best players is leaving. 

#44 Majesty

Majesty

• 30,759 posts

Posted June 17, 2013 - 10:43 PM

Where are you getting this from. Elis to me want money and fame(being a starter). Being kobe's backup does not exactly say this. If he takes the mini then awesome but I would be shocked if he did. Idk anyone who has left a 11 mill contract for 3+ mill contract. Also its not like we have dwight. Right now all signs say he's leaving. Pretty sure that doesn't scream winning team when one of your best players is leaving. 

I said If Monta agreed to play for one year on the mMLE it would show those two things about him in which case it would mean he had the right mindset when he signed here and I'd love him here if that was the case. 

Otherwise he's gonna ask for too much money and go play for the Kings or something.

And Dwight told Stephen A the reason he hasn't committed is because he has the right to know first. 

The right to know as in that the Lakers plan fits with his own.  He knows where he wants to be but he demands the right to "be sure" about it.

if all signs pointed to him leaving he wouldn't be delaying just so he could "be sure" about us, otherwise thee'd be nothing to be "sure" about as he'd already have made up his mind.  And since that came from Dwight's mouth and pretty much is the only thing that's come out of his mouth pertaining to what decision he's gonna make I have to take it as he put it

But thats for the DH thread.  This is about Monta.

And my point is IF Monta took the mMLE to play here it would mean his mind is in the right place to play here imo.

Edited by Majesty, June 17, 2013 - 10:51 PM.

#45 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Sixth Man

• 3,646 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 17, 2013 - 11:55 PM

Ellis could opt into his deal and then let Milwaukee and LA work out a Pau-Ellis deal of sorts. However, you only do this if you know it will get Dwight to stay. I read somewhere that Dwight also would like to play with a guy like Mbah a Moute. Perhaps those two for Pau? Why would Milwaukee do it? Because Pau is better than nothing and could be flipped later this season for assets.

That is how you do the trade.

#46 Majesty

Majesty

• 30,759 posts

Posted June 18, 2013 - 12:01 AM

It seems unlikely that the streaky, 27-year-old guard will garner a higher salary on the open market than the one he’s turning down, but his unwillingness to stay in Milwaukee and his reported interest in teaming up with Dwight Howard undoubtedly fueled this decision. Ellis is one of the most explosive scorers in the league. However, he’s coming off the worst shooting season of his career at only 41.6 percent from the field on 17.5 attempts per game. An offense simply cannot be successful with its main scorer shooting so many shots at such a low clip, and Ellis will need to adjust his game if he hopes to be a contributor on a championship-caliber team.

from NBA.com

more here:  http://hangtime.blog...pt-out-of-deal/

#47 Lakers4Life

Lakers4Life

Bleeds Purple & Gold

• 3,252 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 18, 2013 - 12:41 AM

IF he signs here for the MLE what a god send hahahaa. 

DOnt see it happening though nor do we have any good pieces to give up. Also PAU for Ellis? Not really happy with that not to mention our 2014 cap space hitting the [expletive]

Laker fan for life.

#48 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

16 Time NBA Champions Los Angeles Lakers!

• 10,380 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe and Ron Artest

Posted June 18, 2013 - 01:39 AM

So, Monta wants to play with Dwight. Come to LA, Monta. You get to play with Dwight and play along side your idol, Kobe.

Hey Laker fans! Check out this internet radio talk show for TRUE Laker fans. Hear them out and let them know what you think about the show. Send them an email with your thought and opinions on the Lakers, the show, or any other topic you want. Thanks for listening and GO LAKERS!! www.purpleandgoldradioshow.com

Signatures may contain an image, but may not be any larger than 468x140.

#49 Majesty

Majesty

• 30,759 posts

Posted June 18, 2013 - 01:54 AM

So, Monta wants to play with Dwight. Come to LA, Monta. You get to play with Dwight and play along side your idol, Kobe.

Yes, that's why I posted the YES :D

Cause the fact Kobe is his idol and the fact that he really wants to play with Dwight apparently is a reason for his opting out.

He might.. I stress MIGHT just take that less money to be here now that I hear that.  After reading that I'd say the chances the Lakers of signing him now went from low to lukewarm.

Edited by Majesty, June 18, 2013 - 01:54 AM.

#50 BleedPurple&Gold

BleedPurple&Gold

All-Star

• 5,616 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe,Magic

Posted June 18, 2013 - 02:23 AM

You do know that it doesnt have to be with the lakers right?   Ellis could go dallas or Atlanta in their pursuit of Howard to try and lure the All-Star center.

Edited by BleedPurple&Gold, June 18, 2013 - 02:28 AM.

9888d4ba-ad6b-4879-93aa-9ef1c6ed1dbd_zps

#51 Majesty

Majesty

• 30,759 posts

Posted June 18, 2013 - 02:27 AM

You do know that it doesnt have to be with the lakers right?   Ellis could push Howard to join him to Dallas or Atlanta in their pursuit of Howard to try and lure the All-Star center.

The main thing is... Howard isn't following Ellis.

Ellis is following Howard and Howard isn't going to the Mavericks, and from what I hear has no real interest in Atlanta as well as CP3 losing interest there as well. 

The Rockets have shown no interest in Ellis either.

if Ellis were to push to join Howard it would be on the Lakers most likely.   Ellis wouldn't call Dwight and say "hey come join my team here" he's not the kind of player that's "followed" if you get what I mean.   If Ellis went to Sacramento he wouldn't be able to convince Howard to join him there.

In my opinion the chance of Howard being the one following Ellis anywhere is below zero.   It would be Monta that would be following him and not the other way around.

Edited by Majesty, June 18, 2013 - 02:28 AM.

#52 BleedPurple&Gold

BleedPurple&Gold

All-Star

• 5,616 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe,Magic

Posted June 18, 2013 - 02:30 AM

You dont know that. It doesnt matter who is following who they would be playing with each other. Its not come follow me it's lets play together. I think just because he said he would like to play with dwight howard doesnt mean he wants to play with the lakers nor play for cheap it just mean he wants to play with dwight. Plus he opt out because its the Bucks. The only way Ellis wears purple and gold next season is via sign-and-trade. And considering the lack of trade assets we have, the odds of this happening seem incredibly low. Damn sure not coming here for the 3 Mill.

Edited by BleedPurple&Gold, June 18, 2013 - 02:56 AM.

9888d4ba-ad6b-4879-93aa-9ef1c6ed1dbd_zps

#53 Majesty

Majesty

• 30,759 posts

Posted June 18, 2013 - 02:58 AM

You dont know that. It doesnt matter who is following who they would be playing with each other. Its not come follow me it's lets play together. If thats the case I can say Chris Paul wants to play for the Lakers because he wants to play with Dwight. I think just because he said he would like to play with dwight howard doesnt mean he wants to play with the lakers nor play for cheap. Plus he opt out because its the Bucks.

Monta Ellis is not Chris Paul.  He doesn't have the play ability nor the convincing power to get a superstar player to come play for a team he's on.

He didn't exactly say "Hey Dwight come play on the Bucks with me!"  Why not? 

One, he ain't got that power.

Two, the Bucks won't win. 

And Neither would Atlanta nor Dallas. 

That's why Ellis is asking to be with Dwight, not the other way around.

Monta Ellis isn't the kind of player that would convince a superstar to come to play with him.  He's not a Kobe, a LeBron or a Dwight. 

Chris Paul is, Dwight Howard is, Kobe Bryant is, Monta Ellis isn't.

When players want to play with Kobe, they come to the Lakers.   When it comes to the "Let's play together" between two superstars they can go to a team together to form a superteam.  It doesn't go down between a role player and a superstar.

It's not the same as Chris Paul in any stretch of the form.

Case in point of Monta wants to play with Dwight, the two aren't making plans to go take over Dallas or Atlanta together.

Dwight and Chris Paul may be able to make plans like that if they chose to.   Dwight and Monta....no. 

They want to play together but not at the expense of losses.

They AREN'T gonna just go to a team to say "lets play together" to lose games.

Monta is not the corner stone of ANY franchise and him and Dwight just going to dallas or Atlanta doesn't make them contenders nor championship contenders.

And Dwight isn't gonna leave Los Angeles just to go play somewhere with a friend, if they have no chance at making a dent in the playoffs.    And no one is quivering at the thought of a Monta Ellis Dwight Howard lead team.

That is why you won't see the two of them going to Dallas "just to play together" or going to Atlanta "just to play together"

Because it has more than "just play together" it's about "WINNING" together too. 

They aren't winning in Dallas or Atlanta. 

You would have a better argument of trying to say that he'd join Dwight in Houston, but Houston if they signed Dwight would be in worse CBA hell than we are and he'd be getting even less money than he would here.

Like I said, it ain't "let's play together" its "lets win together" and a Monta Ellis Dwight Howard lead team goes nowhere.

But a Monta Ellis off the bench for Kobe Bryant and Dwight Howard lead team where at times Ellis would also cut into Steve Nash's minutes as well during certain situations would.

It's about how appealing the team is that they would join forces on so you tell me what's more enticing.

Steve Nash/Steve Blake
Kobe Bryant/Monta Ellis
Earl Clark/MWP
Pau Gasol/Jordan Hill

Dwight Howard

or

Dwight Howard
Monta Ellis
Dirk Nowitski
Collison
OJ Mayo(unless he's gone)

or

Al Hortford
Dwight Howard
Monta Ellis

Neither the Mavericks nor Atlanta have teams that would satisfy the want to win as well as play together.

They aren't playing together "in spite" of winning or losing.
They'd play together to "ensure" winning.

And the Mavs and the Hawks can't offer them that guarantee nor depth that the Lakers can and would.

Big difference.

Edited by Majesty, June 18, 2013 - 03:00 AM.

#54 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Sixth Man

• 3,646 posts

Posted June 18, 2013 - 03:09 AM

Monta Ellis does not play winning basketball! Most teams that he’s been on have been better when he was on the bench. I think Ellis could have some value as a Jamal Crawford type off the bench. But as a starter, no way.

#55 Majesty

Majesty

• 30,759 posts

Posted June 18, 2013 - 03:14 AM

Monta Ellis does not play winning basketball! Most teams that he’s been on have been better when he was on the bench. I think Ellis could have some value as a Jamal Crawford type off the bench. But as a starter, no way.

Agreed.  Main thing is I think he'd only start till Kobe came back, and then when Kobe was back he'd either be taking some minutes off Kobe and/or Nash depending on circumstance.   Which is the role he'd be best for a team in imo.

#56 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Sixth Man

• 3,938 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted June 18, 2013 - 04:52 AM

Only an idiot would pass up probably there last big check only to earn 3.1 M just for the possibility of winning a ring. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#57 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Sixth Man

• 3,646 posts

Posted June 18, 2013 - 05:08 AM

I really cant see Ellis giving up anything to get here, since there is ZERO chance the Lakers spend a lot of money on him when he becomes a FA i 2014. One thing is taking less to get into a good situation and then getting paid later, another thing is to give up 10-20 million.

I dont even think trading for him is a good idea since we can get better elsewhere.

#58 LakersFanatic

LakersFanatic

Rookie

• 771 posts
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted June 18, 2013 - 05:14 AM

Only an idiot would pass up probably there last big check only to earn 3.1 M just for the possibility of winning a ring. 

Somewhat true, but I believe he can get more money in L.A through advertisement. His jersey sales are going to go way up. And if he becomes a better player, which we all know he has the potential to do, when Kobe retires, he can become a good 1-2 punch with Dwight. He's only 27 and still has room to grow, especially with the mentoring of Kobe, and Nash

#59 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 15,061 posts

Posted June 18, 2013 - 05:36 AM

Somewhat true, but I believe he can get more money in L.A through advertisement. His jersey sales are going to go way up. And if he becomes a better player, which we all know he has the potential to do, when Kobe retires, he can become a good 1-2 punch with Dwight. He's only 27 and still has room to grow, especially with the mentoring of Kobe, and Nash

Thats a huge myth with coming to LA. Unless you are a kobe or a dwight or a super star you wont make anything off advertisements and stuff like that. Very few players get money from that stuff.

Also with jerseys its not like you sell more jerseys you get more money. The players association has it so jersey sales are shared around the NBA and even that really isn't that much I believe. 

Monta Ellis will make 3+ mill and thats it. He will be losing at least 8 mill to go to a team that hasn't even signed dwight yet(and may not), has a horrible head coach, and a extremely injury prone team that barely made it into the playoffs. If he were to take less money why wouldn't he just go to miami or OKC, or the Spurs. We are in no way a contender even if dwight comeback until we prove it next season.

Edited by bigfetz, June 18, 2013 - 05:44 AM.

#60 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Sixth Man

• 3,646 posts

Posted June 18, 2013 - 05:40 AM

Ellis declined a 2-yr extention from the Bucks worth 24 million. He is not going to make that through advertisement and he's not getting a big contract in 2014, when it means taking us out of the LBJ sweepstakes.

Ellis is not worth it. He is by far the most overrated player in the nba and all teams he play on are significantly better when he sits.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users