I believe Kobe Bryant's legacy is being compromised

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,455 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted June 17, 2013 - 06:03 AM

KB is in the "shoot for the moon and settle for the stars" positive thinking phase. And that’s good for his mental state and motivation. And its good for maintaining sponsorship and satisfying endorsers for the time being. And it forces relevancy because your PR campaign never stops. However from a spectator’s point of view Kobe talking about coming back, dominating and making a run for 2 more Championships starting next season isn’t practical. To be exact his statements are not practical methodically or scientifically. As a diehard fan of his for 18 years and a pro Sports fan for 30+ I’d like to drop some knowledge.

Everyone says the worst way for KB to end his career would be by a serious injury that would end it. But that’s not true at all.

If he retired immediately after the Achilles tear or anytime before the 13-14 season started a career ending injury wouldn't fill the scope of people’s memory of what Kobe Bryant did for the game of Basketball. His legacy wouldn't be tarnished by a career ending injury after 18 seasons of awesome. All he did was ride for the Lakers till the wheels fell off. That’s both respectable and admirable.

Actually the worst way for Kobe to go out would be a failed comeback attempt. As of right now the words “failure” and “Kobe” are not compatible. And all the interviews with comeback PR talk. All the tweets about overcoming the odds. All the Tony Robbins rhetoric is only making that possibility greater. Many people are reading the talking points from KB (and/or his publicist) and believing every single word. Thus building peoples hopes and EXPECTATIONS for a glorious turn around nobody has ever done before. And if KB24 can’t deliver and comes back at a playing level much less than EXPECTED or worse not at all.......how will the majority of people react? What about the Kobe haters who would love to see him FINALLY fail, how would they react? They will act as if Kobe let them down. That Kobe failed and couldn't come back like he promised. And I'm sure sports news outlets like ESPN will do what they can do add negative fuel to the PR flames. Comeback failure can kill a legacy at worst and tarnishes it at best.

Ask Bo Jackson which is a similar situation.
Ask Lance Armstrong after people found out he cheated on his comeback.
Ask Chauncey Billups who is almost exactly the same situation. (Almost)
Ask Mike Tyson after he fired his lifelong trainer and then fought Buster Douglas after his 3 year prison bid.
Ask MJ in a Wiz jersey.  What common word do we always hear about MJ on the Wiz? (heres a quick google search to show you, feel free to search yourself and verify, but you will know and/or remember when you read this)....

Jordan averaged more than 20 points during his two year stint with the Wizards but never reached the previous heights of his career and failed to earn Washington a playoff spot. LINK

Ask Muhammad Ali about his comeback attempt where he got whooped in back-to-back fights. One of those being to Larry Holmes, who gave Ali his first and only TKO. A defeated Ali hurt all of sports. When you see the replay of Ali hitting the canvas and the spit flying from his mouth and eyes rolling…..it was that fight….when he was 38 and tried to comeback out of 3-4 years of retirement that you're seeing. And the media loves to play it. Even when they talk about the mans greatness they still mention “his only TKO”.

Actually I believe Kobe should be doing the opposite PR talk in his current situation. He should be repeating the same narrative over and over. That he’s giving it his best shot and will do all he can both physically and mentally to return, but after that he's in God’s hands. That its possible he may not be able to will his Achilles tendon back to full strength in such an expedited time frame, even though he’d like to. And that through his efforts of attempting what some have called impossible he wants to inspire people, because he can guarantee he will at the very least return to Staples court to finish his career.

That way nobody on the planet can ever say he didn't try or that he failed in his efforts. And if complications occur and an impact-full comeback doesn't happen he’s ok with accepting it and will understand it’s time to move on in life. That’s going out a winner in everyone’s eyes.

Personally I want to believe. But I know its a tall order. If KB comes back in any manner I will view it a great success. I will be happy for him and selfishly happy for myself to see him on the court again. I dont care what he does performance wise. I just want to see him leave what he loves by his own decision he made, not one that he was forced to make. But thats just me.

Edited by LakersGAFan, June 17, 2013 - 06:05 AM.

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

#2 God Shammgod

God Shammgod

"Drink Hennessey straight, with tomato juice"

• 628 posts

Posted June 17, 2013 - 06:11 AM

Man, between this and all the Dwight drama the future of our team is really up in the air.....bout to shed a thug tear over here  :eh:

#3 MAMBA24ILL

MAMBA24ILL

Pray for the bear.

• 9,473 posts
  • Fan Since:80's
  • Fav. Laker:MAMBA, MAGIC, NICK VAN EXEL

Posted June 17, 2013 - 08:28 AM

We need people like Kobe to push the envelope. You'll never know if you don't try. 

2hf753r.jpg

#4 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,902 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted June 17, 2013 - 08:28 AM

Kobe will be MORE than fine.

Can't live through your heroes.

Don't cry for Mamba

And don't act like we haven't had recent success.

it went like this

12th best team, 15 best team, 2nd best team, best team, best team, 5th best team, 10 th best team, 15 best team.

I started from the time we lost to the Suns 4-3 and went to this year.

Whats wrong with that?

If we go back to the Spurs in the same amount of time, they have had more struggles. Losing as a 1 seed to an 8th seed, etc.

IWhy must this fanbase ALWAYS have the "woe is me" type fans.

Its the definition of front-running.

How are you worried about Dwight, when we got rid of Bynum  for him , who was on the verge of  obviously never being the same.

Look , we have this beautiful LOCATIOn and we are REALLY about to start from scratch in 2 seasons. They is NOTHING to complain about rationally.

#5 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,167 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted June 17, 2013 - 08:53 AM

I rather have Kobe than have Lebron thats for sure. Atleast I know Kobe will give us 100% every game. Unlike lebron who tends to dissapear when he feels like it in the finals and in playoff games.

Kobe > Lebron

anybody said lebron is better than Kobe need to stfu

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#6 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,919 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 17, 2013 - 08:56 AM

Kobe is my fav player of all time but you have to be delusional to think Kobe is better than Lebron at this stage.  Lebron has easily been the best player in the NBA for the past 3 seasons.  Kobe may not "disappear" but he sure is able to "screw up" some games like Phil said.  Put that Kobe is better than Lebron stuff to rest and just appreciate what he's done over 17 seasons and maybe 1-2 more if he still has it

I rather have Kobe than have Lebron thats for sure. Atleast I know Kobe will give us 100% every game. Unlike lebron who tends to dissapear when he feels like it in the finals and in playoff games.

Kobe > Lebron

anybody said lebron is better than Kobe need to stfu

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#7 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,919 posts

Posted June 17, 2013 - 08:59 AM

To speak to the topic I think its a reach to say its being compromised.  He has put it down at an elite level for 17 seasons and been apart of 7 Finals runs and 5 wins.  His resume speaks for itself.  Nothing about that can be compromised. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#8 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,837 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted June 17, 2013 - 09:36 AM

Are you questioning Kobe's ability to come back? It doesnt seems as if his legacy is being compromised in any way other than the fact you dont believe he can come back this strong. The mamba will be fine, if anyone can come back its him. If he cant come back full strength that will only be told with time, but I believe that kobe is the best player in the world to bet on to come back strong from such a nasty injury.

Kobe's legacy will be appreciated once he puts the game down and people actually mull over what he did. Right now its hard to say because ESPN is all over Lebron trying to actually name him the king, when in reality he isnt even the best SF of all time in my eyes. Come on we are Lakers fan, IDK how many times I have to say this. We are used to the media and the masses being against us dont worry about what people say about our franchise or our players. We have seen greatness from Kobe regardless of what others say.

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#9 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,902 posts

Posted June 17, 2013 - 09:38 AM

I rather have Kobe's heart over LeBron and I would NEVER get rid of Kobe for LeBron.

So in that since, I agree with epicwolf.

Its like LeBron is the best player in the world, but almost all of his teammates have more HEART than him.

not Bosh, but when you look at Battier,Chalmers,Haslem,Miller in particular. these guys step up in BIG moments. Then Wade is the Mmamba of South Beach as far as I'm concerned. You can blame the refs all you want to for his Finals MVP, but we haven't seen a person take over in a Finals in THAT manner since Jordan, period.

But LeBron is the opposite. Its like he has so many pedestrian moments in big games, but when he has a good game, the machine comes with,"I thought he couldn't perform in the big games".

And this isn't Peyton Manning facing better defenses come playoff time, or teams with all flash getting exposed(again the Colts or the new Patriots), this is LeBron not playing the way that got him there. His energy changes too much, and though that wasn't the reason they lost the last game, and he did his part the game before, it's the reason why the playoffs have lingered for the Heat and now they have their backs against the walls. 

What I don't want to see is LeBron have an efficient shooting performance in Game 7, so Bill Simmons can compare it to Kobe's 6 for 24 night.

#10 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,167 posts

Posted June 17, 2013 - 09:48 AM

Kobe is my fav player of all time but you have to be delusional to think Kobe is better than Lebron at this stage.  Lebron has easily been the best player in the NBA for the past 3 seasons.  Kobe may not "disappear" but he sure is able to "screw up" some games like Phil said.  Put that Kobe is better than Lebron stuff to rest and just appreciate what he's done over 17 seasons and maybe 1-2 more if he still has it

I think Lebron fans are more delusional than I am.  Sure I will give you the player currently in terms of God gifted talent and body. Lebron is more athletic and more physical and should be the best player in the world. But if you only concentrate on the physical attributes and not the mind then you probably don't know how to avaluate legends.  Lebron James should not even be in the same breathe with Kobe and Jordan.  I hate when people put Lebron in the same sentence just because he is right now the best player in the world.  He doesn't have that killer instinct to be in the same breathe.  You said Kobe lose games for us? How did he lose games for us? Because he shoot too much and try his heart out to win games for us? Because even if he doesn't have a good shooting night he still bend over backwards and shoot us into th games and doesn't care if his percentage is damaged? Lebron is so afraid of his stats being hurt that he will dissapear and hope his teamate pick him up. And if his teamate doesn't pick him up, he throw them under the bus. Kobe never does that. He is willing to go beyond his skills and doesn't care if he miss 20 shots out of 30.  Lebron on the other hand will shy away from the pressure and find any excuse to not show up especially when he doesnt have help. When he doesn't have help he shuts it down.  Then what happen? THe media and Lebron fans will always give him a pass. They NEVER EVER give Kobe a pass. Why? Because Lebron is more likable. 

I am sick and tired of people praising Lebron and never criticizing him for what he is. He is a flobber and at times cannot handle the pressure.  But people keep on giving him excuses. If you talk about a physical specimen sure Lebron is awesome. And in terms of skills maybe Lebron is better than even Jordan and Kobe.  But to put Lebron over Kobe or even Jordan is stupid.  Who is delusional? I think the media and Lebron James are more delusional.   Jordan and Kobe will never shy away from pressure and not show up to a single game. Lebron has been doing that all of his career but nobody points it out. 

Watch when game six comes along and the heat wins but Lebron have an ok game, the people will give Lebron all the credit like they did when Lebron played center and happens to win.  Cannot believe people put him in the magic johnson catagory. Magic will never let his team down and do whatever it takes to win. Lebron doesn't.

Even if Miami win this series, I still dont think Lebron should be compared to Kobe.  Not yet.  I need to see more from him. You don't get to be compared with greatness just because everybody loves your physical attributes. Maybe Lebron might be a killer instinct player in the near future but right now, he is the same Lebron who will always get praised and excuses go his way.

Edited by epicwolf, June 17, 2013 - 09:53 AM.

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#11 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,167 posts

Posted June 17, 2013 - 10:02 AM

Here is an example of how delusional Lebron James fans and media is for "King" james.  THe last two games, game 4 and game 5 who was playing well?  It is not Lebron. It was Dwayne Wade. But the media and James fans keep on giving James excuses saying D Wade is not the same and he is getting old.  Apparently they didn't watch the last two games. If it wasn't for D Wade beasting, the heat wouldn't even be that close.  Lebron James suck in the finals and only one game he was OK at best but if the heat wins, guess who will get the mvp?  Why? Because King James will always get the credit. 

#12 RobBlake

RobBlake

Off The Bench

• 2,293 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted June 17, 2013 - 10:08 AM

Lebron is the worst 4x MVP I've ever seen play in the finals. Period.

ap1.png

#13 MidnightMarauder

MidnightMarauder

Off The Bench

• 1,550 posts
  • Name:Michael
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Lamar, Worthy, Magic

Posted June 17, 2013 - 10:36 AM

Lebron is the worst 4x MVP I've ever seen play in the finals. Period.

Yup.

Dude is a great player but he's getting outplayed by Danny Green(!!!!) in the NBA Finals. Kobe or Michael or Magic would never let that happen. And that's the end of the discussion. LeBron too often has games where he doesn't compete, on the biggest stages. Take the first three games of this series, the 2011 Finals, and the 2010 series against Boston. No show. You can't say that about Kobe or Jordan. Win or lose, they made themselves a part of the game and went down swinging. How many times have we seen LeBron go down meekly?

#14 gque24

gque24

Sixth Man

• 4,160 posts
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted June 17, 2013 - 11:04 AM

like ive told ya time & time again . Kobes wheel chair pride is what drives him to be Kobe. It will never stop until he forces himself to not be able to play at a high level anymore due to his body quitting on him. A re-tear is only thing that could get him to think clearly. in kobes mind right now he will be exact same player he was last yr. that stubborness has produced gr8ness for 17yrs but it has also maybe stripped us fans of ever seeing that last hoora Title moment ever again. only time will tell & please Kobe dont come back to early take the time to rest & heal.

Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#15 lakers1o1

lakers1o1

Off The Bench

• 2,528 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted June 17, 2013 - 11:41 AM

Theres a reason why Kobe is the player he is and theres a reason for his success.

People who doubt him are one of the many aspects that make him a greater player and the thing he loves doing the most is proving people wrong.  I've grown up watching Kobe and honestly going into this season I was only expecting a shadow of what he did previous seasons.  Of course, he proves me completely wrong and seems to be one of the few players who can go head to head with father time.  At the end of the day, as a Laker fan and as a Kobe fan, I know he'll come back, maybe even better than ever.

kb24_zpscc8c9e5b.jpg

• 40,416 posts

Posted June 17, 2013 - 11:50 AM

Personally I want to believe. But I know its a tall order.

LakerNationBelieve.jpg

yo.

#17 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 37,419 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted June 17, 2013 - 02:22 PM

Kobe loves when people doubt him.  It pisses him off.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#18 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,919 posts

Posted June 17, 2013 - 02:28 PM

No one with a brain or without an agenda has ever put Lebron over MJ.  Kobe is debatable and he and Lebron have had 2 totally different paths to where they are.  Kobe has had his share of hiccups that some us dont want to bring up or selectively forget (see 2004 Finals and game 7 vs PHX in 07).  Lebron is the flavor of the moment and thats just how it is.  The real will be discussed when his career is over.  When Kobe was dropping 81 pts in games there were people saying that if he had help he would be better or surpass MJ.  He got 2 rings after that.  He's done well.  Easily top 5 in my book and should be no less than top 10 in any fans book.  Everywhere I see Lebron is getting crushed for not playing well.  Not sure what you are watching or reading but he isnt getting off the hook...

Here is an example of how delusional Lebron James fans and media is for "King" james.  THe last two games, game 4 and game 5 who was playing well?  It is not Lebron. It was Dwayne Wade. But the media and James fans keep on giving James excuses saying D Wade is not the same and he is getting old.  Apparently they didn't watch the last two games. If it wasn't for D Wade beasting, the heat wouldn't even be that close.  Lebron James suck in the finals and only one game he was OK at best but if the heat wins, guess who will get the mvp?  Why? Because King James will always get the credit. 

#19 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,902 posts

Posted June 17, 2013 - 09:18 PM

Hiccups are normal. Kobe's Game 7 vs the Suns wasn't one. His team failed him and people don't WANT the truth..

He tried to feed Kwame 3 straight times, and the lead ballooned to twenty and he DIDN'T want EMPTY NUMBERS.

He was listening to Phil's plan.

He git locked up by the best defense in the history of the game, in my opinion in Detroit.

LeBron goes from SUPERHUMAN to Clark Kent.

#20 BlueJab23

BlueJab23

Rookie

• 472 posts
  • Fan Since:Not a Fan
  • Fav. Laker:Not a Fan

Posted June 17, 2013 - 09:36 PM

Seems like another LeBron vs Kobe thread.

Nothing new.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users