TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,265 posts
  • Fan Since:1986
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 01, 2013 - 08:00 AM

that's a bummer...

There is no tough choices in the story?

No forks in the road that lead to diffrenent paths?

Naa, well I watched half of it, and then finished the other half over my friends dorm so I dont have the game, but even if I did there is no replay value. The only difference play through you can have is one where you try to be all stealthy and then another play through where you just go guns blazing, but that second one is a smart idea in most situations.

#42 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,808 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted July 01, 2013 - 08:06 AM

that's a bummer...

There is no tough choices in the story?

No forks in the road that lead to diffrenent paths?

Naa thats not naughty dog's style. Very linear game much like a movie, replay value might come back in a few months if you wanna see the story play out again. I was thinking at the end there could of been two different out comes but they didnt go with that either.

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#43 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,265 posts

Posted July 01, 2013 - 09:55 AM

wow...

it seems so strange for games not to employ some differences to add some replay value...

Naa thats not naughty dog's style. Very linear game much like a movie, replay value might come back in a few months if you wanna see the story play out again. I was thinking at the end there could of been two different out comes but they didnt go with that either.

the game is still getting great scores, so it must be pretty cool... Gripping story...

#44 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,808 posts

Posted July 01, 2013 - 10:05 AM

wow...

it seems so strange for games not to employ some differences to add some replay value...

the game is still getting great scores, so it must be pretty cool... Gripping story...

Yea its basically a movie with gameplay in it, thats what naughty dog games basically are.  Doesnt give great replay value, but gives you one hell of a experience your first time around. Like I said this game isnt worth 65 bucks to me because of one play through, more like 45 bucks. The only single player games I pay 65 bucks for is Skyrim, 2K, and Mass Effect just because I knew I would play the hell out of them. Other than that I only cough up 65 bucks for multiplayer games since they have hundreds of hours of replay value.

Edited by PhillyLaker24, July 01, 2013 - 10:05 AM.

#45 Lemon

Lemon

Rookie

• 361 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted July 01, 2013 - 02:46 PM

Good game. Really got good at the end of the university.

Not as good as Uncharted 2, but definitely a candidate for game of the year.

#46 Game

Game

Your Daddy

• 10,604 posts
  • Fan Since:Late '80s
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 01, 2013 - 03:21 PM

wish I could find more time to play it...about 60% done

don't find this game boring at all, story is good, assuming it'll get better...but if the story and gameplay are better than average, I'll usually make it through a whole game, still enjoying this one

final fantasy VII still probably ranks as my favorite all time game, that was largely based on the story

Posted Image

#47 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,265 posts

Posted July 01, 2013 - 06:41 PM

final fantasy VII still probably ranks as my favorite all time game, that was largely based on the story

everyone says that...

and yet... when I rented and played FF7, I hated the game... I hated it so much... FF7 was so bad in my book, it made me hate ALL RPGs until Oblivion...

All these CGI cuts scenes, and then the game looks like a big pixilated TURD... that used to be a HUGE peeve of mine, when games would use much better graphics for the cut scenes, thankfully, more cut scences started to be done within the game engine...

For me...

best Old school RPG was Pokémon... whichever the first version was...

me and my bro would play for HOURS on car trips, linking up and fighting each other...

Such cool moments when you could throw out a new pokemon, to counter what he has...

ah the memories... like my brother whopping my butt with his pikaku, until I found a rock pokemon... then he counters with a water, then I go electric, then he goes ground, I go grass, he goes fire, and it continues...

truly one of the best games ever...

semi-open world RPG, and battling against your friends... it was more then great... it was awesome...

the excitement of seeing a new species pop up, and then you catch it, train it, and hope its worth it in battle...

I remember catching that first physic pokemon... changed the whole game...

#48 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,130 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted July 02, 2013 - 12:54 PM

I agree with you here. Im watching a play through on you tube and it is great to watch. Also agree with no replay value. This is a great game but to me not worth 60 bucks. I would wait until it drops to around 35 or 40 since its a one and done game, but still a great expirence.

Im not a GTA guy anymore, used to be a huge fan, but recently not interested with those type of games anymore. This or bio shock infinite should have game of the year on lock, then again a new AC is on its way to cant count that out either.

GTA 5 will be one of the game of the year candidate.  Reason being, a bigger fan base and replay value. I played bioschock inifnite and to me it is a good game but for some reason it seems very short. I beat the game in only 3 days with only  4 hours playing  per day max. Might even be 3 hours only.  The storyline for Bioshock are very confusing to say the least. Especially the ending in Bio Infinite.  I personally believe bioshock is a little bit over rated but not saying it is a bad game.  AC4  probably wont win game of the year because it is going against its own team with Watch Dog and I think Watch Dog will be 10 times better than AC4.  So I disagree with you that Bioshock should be considered game of the year. I think it is highly over rated.  I think GTA 5, Watch Dog or maybe just maybe Last of Us.  

Edited by epicwolf, July 02, 2013 - 12:55 PM.

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#49 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,808 posts

Posted July 02, 2013 - 05:43 PM

GTA 5 will be one of the game of the year candidate.  Reason being, a bigger fan base and replay value. I played bioschock inifnite and to me it is a good game but for some reason it seems very short. I beat the game in only 3 days with only  4 hours playing  per day max. Might even be 3 hours only.  The storyline for Bioshock are very confusing to say the least. Especially the ending in Bio Infinite.  I personally believe bioshock is a little bit over rated but not saying it is a bad game.  AC4  probably wont win game of the year because it is going against its own team with Watch Dog and I think Watch Dog will be 10 times better than AC4.  So I disagree with you that Bioshock should be considered game of the year. I think it is highly over rated.  I think GTA 5, Watch Dog or maybe just maybe Last of Us.  

I just feel like GTA doesnt have the things to be game of the year. Hollow story, middle of the line graphics, and the gameplay mechanics always seemed clunky to me. The thing about GTA is you can do everything, it allows for everyone to do what they cant do in real life. So that is what is compelling about that game, and really what makes it so good. However, to me that isnt enough to get you game of the year. I mean gta 4 won goty in 2008 but that was just a weak year for games really. Its all subjective in this part though I just dont think GTA brings enough to the table to be GOTY since it legit is just beating a dead horse every game, with the only thing keeping it relevant is its fun open and modern day world facet.

I am not a big fan of Bioshock either just not my type of game, but the consensus is it is a great game, with really fun game play and a cool story. Seems like a better candidate than GTA would be. Last of us is really good all around, delivers what most people look for in a game and does so in impressing fashion. For me AC3 was an amazing game and did about everything right you could in a video game, if AC4 follows in its footsteps I think it will make a strong case for game of the year.

Really comes down to what you like and look for in a video game. The last of us definitely is the best game I ever seen in its genre. With that genre being very linear story telling, movie like game, fun gameplay, and great graphics. This genre really is only naughty dog games since this is what they always try to do by bringing together gaming and an immerse story.

Look up the game Journey, it won multiple game of the year awards, but nothing about that game screams to me game of the year. Its all for what they look for in a game and who is choosing the winner likes. Journey looks like a 2nd rate game by some indie developer that put it together during his off time from work. However, it is praised as an amazing game. I quite frankly dont understand it, but just goes to show GOTY award really means nothing more than the peoples taste in video games that vote on it.

Edited by PhillyLaker24, July 02, 2013 - 05:47 PM.

#50 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,130 posts

Posted July 03, 2013 - 07:03 AM

How do you know GTA 5 story is weak? It not even out to the public yet. Unless you have the oppturnity to play the full game at E3.  I didn't say GTA 5 will win game of the year. Im just saying it will be one of the candidates.  Yes it depends on what kind of game a person like but the voting are from people who work in the industry. And majority of them will be looking at the sales also.  YOu can't argue that GTA 5 is one of the most anticipated games of the year. The preorder for that game is out of this world.

As for Last of Us. I did enjoy playing it. I played it twice already.  But it lacks the replay value for a lot of people. Unless you have a bunch of hommies sitting around playing the multi player mode, it does lack replay value. The story was great and naughty dogs are known for having great story line. I played all three of the uncharted series and love them all but still didnt think those three games deserve game of the year awards.  In fact, Sleeping Dogs should of won it but because of the lack of marketing for sleeping dogs, it didn't get the love like other games.  To me, the last of us will be going against games that hasn't been out yet. And one of those games is Watch Dog which I believe will be a strong candidate of game of the year. 

As for AC4. I really don't think it is a strong candidate to be game of the year.  AC3 was a great game and it has those naval battles in it too. So if you compared to AC4 and AC3, the only thing AC4 has are naval battles. What happen if people who are not into naval battles  want to just climb tall buildings and assasinate people? AC3 have naval battles and strong story lines, more things to do and charactor developments and still are not even considered game of the year last year.  AC4 is soley about naval battle.  It might seem exciting at first but some gamers will be bored of just naval battling.  Sure you get to hit up some islands and kill people but it doesnt seem like there are more land for your to roam around on AC4 compared to AC3 since its mostly on water.

They are still waiting on games that hasn't come out yet. Battle field 4 and destiny could be an awesome game too.  Last of Us have very strong competition up ahead.

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#51 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,808 posts

Posted July 03, 2013 - 07:58 AM

How do you know GTA 5 story is weak? It not even out to the public yet. Unless you have the oppturnity to play the full game at E3.  I didn't say GTA 5 will win game of the year. Im just saying it will be one of the candidates.  Yes it depends on what kind of game a person like but the voting are from people who work in the industry. And majority of them will be looking at the sales also.  YOu can't argue that GTA 5 is one of the most anticipated games of the year. The preorder for that game is out of this world.

As for Last of Us. I did enjoy playing it. I played it twice already.  But it lacks the replay value for a lot of people. Unless you have a bunch of hommies sitting around playing the multi player mode, it does lack replay value. The story was great and naughty dogs are known for having great story line. I played all three of the uncharted series and love them all but still didnt think those three games deserve game of the year awards.  In fact, Sleeping Dogs should of won it but because of the lack of marketing for sleeping dogs, it didn't get the love like other games.  To me, the last of us will be going against games that hasn't been out yet. And one of those games is Watch Dog which I believe will be a strong candidate of game of the year. 

As for AC4. I really don't think it is a strong candidate to be game of the year.  AC3 was a great game and it has those naval battles in it too. So if you compared to AC4 and AC3, the only thing AC4 has are naval battles. What happen if people who are not into naval battles  want to just climb tall buildings and assasinate people? AC3 have naval battles and strong story lines, more things to do and charactor developments and still are not even considered game of the year last year.  AC4 is soley about naval battle.  It might seem exciting at first but some gamers will be bored of just naval battling.  Sure you get to hit up some islands and kill people but it doesnt seem like there are more land for your to roam around on AC4 compared to AC3 since its mostly on water.

They are still waiting on games that hasn't come out yet. Battle field 4 and destiny could be an awesome game too.  Last of Us have very strong competition up ahead.

I know gta5 will have a hollow story because all grand theft auto games do. You do some illegal things to make money and rise to fame, then there is often a twist where someone turns against you. They do that all the time and even then they dont make it immerse. You talk to people and the cut scenes are often very hollow and just are there to further the story, no connection to the characters or even investment into them to make them likeable. 

AC4 is not just a ship game, the map is huge. A big part of it is the naval part but that has been integrated into the game in a way where you dont get fed up with it. Cant say for sure since it isnt out but if it builds off of AC3 its gonna be an amazing game.

I have seen some stuff for watch dogs and to me it really hasnt impressed me. Open world hacker game, guess that is cool to some. A game I really dont find that enticing.

As for sleeping dogs wasnt that just an asian gta?

#52 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,130 posts

Posted July 03, 2013 - 08:49 AM

Yes sleeping dog is an asian gta LOL.  I think sleeping dogs have a better mele fighting system than GTA and I have more fun playing Sleeping dogs than GTA 4 to be honest.  I just think sleeping dog is so under rated mainly because maybe racial aspect of it? But I digress.  I agree with you GTA series are not known for their story line. It is known for the game play and "fun" value.  If game of the year is based on story lines then  Telltale games should always have game of the years because they are the best storyline game developers in this industry. I just think that GTA 5 will be considered mainly because of the fun value and the popularity of it.

In terms of watchdog, you might not impress with a hagging game but you still dont know how the game play really is. And since you are really into the story games, from what I heard, the story in watch dog are very deep and might even be better than Last of Us.  But ofcourse you have to look at the developers of that game. Ubisoft are not known for deep stories that make you feel for the charactor as much.  But it had so much love at E3 they even said this game might destroy every game in 2013.  Might be over hyped it a little. 

Battlefield 4 I think is the sleeper. Have you seen the graphics on that game? Granted when I saw it on youtube it was at E3 and they using a PS4 but I have not seen better graphics for that game with any other game. Even when they played watchdog on the next consoles. Plus you know how popular shooting games and multi player games are to this industry. Wouldnt be surprised of battlefield 4 will take it. 

Again last of us is great and have all 10 ratings on most reviews but it is not a game many people might care about. And that can hurt the votings. Read the previous post. Some members on here think the Last of Us is boring lol.

#53 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,808 posts

Posted July 03, 2013 - 09:30 AM

^^^ Yea the whole thing is just so subjective. I really dont even think winning game of the year means anything or at least to me as a consumer. A game that says GOTY on it doesnt really do anything for me, such things as games, movies, and music as so subjective that any awards or accolades dont matter to me since more often than not I dont agree with the consensus of something. I dont see any benefit of it other than the game company gets to re-release a game of the year edition lol.

#54 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,130 posts

Posted July 03, 2013 - 09:50 AM

At times I am confused of which game was really the game of the year.  I could of sworn last year we have three games that considered game of the year.  So it is subjective.   I think at gamestop there are like 10 games that has the GOTY cover on them LOL.

#55 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,808 posts

Posted July 03, 2013 - 10:03 AM

At times I am confused of which game was really the game of the year.  I could of sworn last year we have three games that considered game of the year.  So it is subjective.   I think at gamestop there are like 10 games that has the GOTY cover on them LOL.

Thats because there are about 20 different things that give out awards for it. I think the biggest one is the Spike game of the year, not sure though.

#56 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&#

• 23,092 posts
  • Name:Kyler Hay
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Nash.Young, Farmar

Posted July 04, 2013 - 03:50 PM

GREAT GREAT GAME 

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#57 Game

Game

Your Daddy

• 10,604 posts

Posted November 11, 2013 - 08:04 PM

finally got around to playing the last 25% of this game, beat it tonight...somewhat disappointing ending imo, but good game either way

Posted Image

#58 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,808 posts

Posted November 12, 2013 - 08:29 AM

^^^ Out of curiosity what were you hoping for with the ending?

#59 Game

Game

Your Daddy

• 10,604 posts

Posted November 15, 2013 - 12:16 PM

something a little more lengthy at the very least, a little more cinematic i guess...for games that long and graphically, give me at least 5 minutes of something...didn't have a problem with the concept of the ending or anthing

i swear the ending to final fanasy VIII was like 20 minutes long, makes the game feel worthwhile, almost rewarding...like you're playing towards something...maybe i was tripping, but it seemed pretty abrupt...couple minutes and then the credits

maybe they just don't make videogame endings like the used to

Posted Image

#60 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,808 posts

Posted November 16, 2013 - 10:05 PM

^^^ See what you point out is exactly what some people complain about though. A very long ending sounds good to bring everything together and close for the sake of story. However, at the end of the day it is a game. Many people (reviewers I have heard complain about this) that long cut scenes sometimes take you out of the game experience because they often show the character doing an action you could do yourself so its like why am I watching what I have been doing all game.

I am with you though I think the ending to a game should be somewhat lengthy for the sake of story and bringing everything together. I mean story really only progresses when there are cut scenes when your in the the middle of the action of a game your not thinking Oh I hope this person is gonna be ok, it isnt until a cut scene happens that the true story of a game comes out. In this case I could say your right the ending was  a little abrupt, but I thought it was quite good. They could of made it longer maybe showed some extra things, but the story wrapped up pretty well here imo.

Edited by PhillyLaker24, November 16, 2013 - 10:06 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users