#21 Mike D'Antoni

Mike D'Antoni

Rookie

• 1,068 posts
  • Name:Juan
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 16, 2013 - 03:55 PM

There is no argument that favors antoni. Just stop. He gives the lakers no chance of winning. The last stretch was more of Kobe's dominance and Dwight getting healthier. Please d antoni can't coach at any level. He's not a winner. Plain and simple.

#22 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,761 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted June 16, 2013 - 03:56 PM

So we are blaming 17-25 ON D'Antoni but none of the 28-12 is due to him right after that right?

Oh yeah, we were supposed to beat the Spurs without Kobe and Nash.

It would be nice if you'd sometimes read the responses to some of these comments. You've posted this same comment like 3-4 times already and it's been thoroughly responded to each time.

D'Antoni was not responsible for that 28-12 stretch. The only reason we even had that success was because we went AWAY from everything he was preaching and just played through Kobe instead of his favorite player, Steve Nash. Kobe's superhuman play through that stretch is what kept us afloat and allowed us to sneak into the playoffs, eventually leading to his injury. There was no need to play Kobe maximum minutes on a nightly basis, that's why you have rotations and more than 5 players on one team.

The problem is that D'Antoni is an idiot and knows nothing of managing minutes, formulating a gameplan, or how to put out lineups that can actually function correctly. He is hopeless, owes what little success he's had to a prime Steve Nash.

#23 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,734 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted June 16, 2013 - 05:08 PM

D'Antoni allowed Kobe to change the offense.

Thats all i care about.

you thi

nk Kobe never went away from teh triangle?

The point is D'Antoni made the adjustment with the help of whomever.

That part Id dont care about.

If we play that same style and have those same results for the entire season, what is wrong with that?

#24 KobeWillReturnTriumphant

KobeWillReturnTriumphant

TheNefariousJim&HisSilverSpoon

• 1,751 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic/Kobe/Tony Smith

Posted June 16, 2013 - 05:32 PM

There is no argument that favors antoni. Just stop. He gives the lakers no chance of winning. The last stretch was more of Kobe's dominance and Dwight getting healthier. Please d antoni can't coach at any level. He's not a winner. Plain and simple.

Don't put yourself down Mike! You're the best in the whole wide world!

#25 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,761 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted June 16, 2013 - 05:41 PM

D'Antoni didn't adjust, Kobe just stopped listening to him and carried the team on his back to a postseason berth. Did you not pay attention the entire season? The arguments you're making make it seem as if you just glanced through boxscores all year long.

Kobe Bryant isolation basketball doesn't work against elite teams. We can get by on his brilliance against the weaker teams in the league, but we will be a perennial 1st round team at best. I guess it doesn't matter if our coach is some lame duck who can't do anything as long as we gut out wins versus elite squads like the Hornets and Suns. We'll be fine in the playoffs, it's not like we'll need an actual coach or anything.

You need a system if you want to get anywhere in the postseason. You need defined roles for every player on the team. You need rotations and lineups that can actually function correctly. You need to know when to take a timeout before things balloon out of control and you force the team into too deep a hole. You need to make adjustments when the other team keeps on taking advantage with the same play time and time again. That's what good coaches do, and D'Antoni can't do any one of these things.

We will NOT have those same results over an entire season because, in case you didn't notice, playing that style led to Kobe Bryant having one of the worst injuries of his career. That isn't sustainable, and it was obvious after the first few 45+ minute showings that Kobe could not keep it up the rest of the way.

#26 MidnightMarauder

MidnightMarauder

Off The Bench

• 1,436 posts
  • Name:Michael
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Lamar, Worthy, Magic

Posted June 16, 2013 - 05:43 PM

So we are blaming 17-25 ON D'Antoni but none of the 28-12 is due to him right after that right?

Oh yeah, we were supposed to beat the Spurs without Kobe and Nash.

Oh boy, 28-12 beating cupcake teams like the Raptors only because of miracle shots by Kobe.

A statictically WORSE(!!!) defense after the all star break.

Edited by -MagicKareemKobe-, June 16, 2013 - 05:48 PM.

#27 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,734 posts

Posted June 16, 2013 - 06:04 PM

We were better after the ASB, and it was obvious

#28 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,734 posts

Posted June 16, 2013 - 06:08 PM

I watched every game.

I thought D'Antoni didn't cost us many games, but rather the players did.

Kobe was supposed to lead our team to victories.

D'Antoni ain't great, but we didn't do ONLY Kobe iso. 

There was Pau in the high post with options. There were screens and backdoors for Meeks, he even started getting Jamison in the right position.

give him a training camp.

I mean it's going to happen whether you like it or not, so why come in with this" You got something to prove to me" attitude.

#29 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,366 posts

Posted June 16, 2013 - 06:09 PM

D'Antoni didn't adjust, Kobe just stopped listening to him and carried the team on his back to a postseason berth. Did you not pay attention the entire season? The arguments you're making make it seem as if you just glanced through boxscores all year long.

Kobe Bryant isolation basketball doesn't work against elite teams. We can get by on his brilliance against the weaker teams in the league, but we will be a perennial 1st round team at best. I guess it doesn't matter if our coach is some lame duck who can't do anything as long as we gut out wins versus elite squads like the Hornets and Suns. We'll be fine in the playoffs, it's not like we'll need an actual coach or anything.

You need a system if you want to get anywhere in the postseason. You need defined roles for every player on the team. You need rotations and lineups that can actually function correctly. You need to know when to take a timeout before things balloon out of control and you force the team into too deep a hole. You need to make adjustments when the other team keeps on taking advantage with the same play time and time again. That's what good coaches do, and D'Antoni can't do any one of these things.

We will NOT have those same results over an entire season because, in case you didn't notice, playing that style led to Kobe Bryant having one of the worst injuries of his career. That isn't sustainable, and it was obvious after the first few 45+ minute showings that Kobe could not keep it up the rest of the way.

• 40,383 posts

Posted June 16, 2013 - 06:10 PM

I mean it's going to happen whether you like it or not.

Goodbye Dwight.

yo.

#31 MidnightMarauder

MidnightMarauder

Off The Bench

• 1,436 posts
  • Name:Michael
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Lamar, Worthy, Magic

Posted June 16, 2013 - 06:19 PM

We were better after the ASB, and it was obvious

It was obvious that we played sorry teams after the all star break and that the defense statistically was worse while the offense a bit better after the all star break. If you don't want to hear the facts(The defensive rankings) that's your problem.

We played awful teams that we needed superhuman efforts to beat. How many good teams did LA beat in the 28-12 run? 1 or 2? Pardon me if I'm not impressed with beating the Hornets(After being down 25) and the Raptors. Real championship material if you ask me.

Meanwhile the defense was statistically worse, the offense was statistically a bit better, the turnovers stayed the same, and the competition got weaker. Dwight got healthier and Pau got put back in to the lineup(He never should have been benched in the first place)

You can ignore this post like you did to every other poster that countered your points or you can listen to the statistic facts. We won more games, sure, against sorrier competition, but the advanced statistics show that we were the same old team, just a little healthier and playing easier opponents. All of our defensive ranks from the first half are virtually the same as the second half ones, some worse.

Edited by -MagicKareemKobe-, June 16, 2013 - 06:20 PM.

#32 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,734 posts

Posted June 16, 2013 - 06:25 PM

Those were 2 of 28 wins...in those 28 wins, we still struggled with Health. Yes Dwight got better, that kind of makes my point.

Anyway, we will see.

#33 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,734 posts

Posted June 16, 2013 - 06:26 PM

Ignoring post, I have addressed every point that needs to be made

#34 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,768 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted June 17, 2013 - 05:10 AM

I really don't care at this point but my question is why does Shaw matter?  He doesn't.

Shaw won't be hired in any capacity unless Phil returns in a major capacity...meaning Jim Buss is de-throned.

MDA won't be fired unless it helps keep Dwight...period.  His coaching (or lack thereof) will not be a factor in the Laker's decision making this offseason, nor should it.

Lakers fans have a stick up their rear because Phil wasn't hired.  MDA did NOT do a poor job...just the wrong person in the wrong spot at the wrong time.  The only other coach that would have made Lakers fans happy is NOT available...(Popovich).

Lakers fans are acting like entitled, whiny, snot-nosed brats because their whims were not indulged...Phil isn't here, he may never return and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it.  Get. Over. It.

But it does not matter...for every basketball reason I can come up with as an explanation of why this team struggled last season, there are at least 5 "expert" opinions explaining why it would NEVER have happened with Phil.

Amazing how Mike Brown got flamed so hard but did as much or more with LESS talent than Phil had the previous season....

Lakers fan are spoiled and irrational.  They want Phil and that's all that matters.  Everyone is making data fit the outcome they desire to PROVE their points...

Good luck with that.  I'm out.

#35 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&#

• 23,028 posts
  • Name:Kyler Hay
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Nash.Young, Farmar

Posted June 17, 2013 - 12:11 PM

D'Antoni's 5 man rotation is like John Cena's 5 moves of doom lol 

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#36 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,071 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted June 17, 2013 - 12:58 PM

I mean it's going to happen whether you like it or not, so why come in with this" You got something to prove to me" attitude.

I applaud you for being the only person defending MDA.  I do admirer that. And who knows, maybe for some miracle you could be right and MDA end up being a good coach.  But miracles don't happen to something that is litterally impossible.. MDA was NEVER a good coach. Even with Nash in Phoenix. Have you heard Nash spoke lately? He was embarrassed of being linked to MDA.  There were a lot of flaws in that 7 seconds or less scheme they ran 500 years ago. MDA was always been over rated. It shows in New York and it shows here. But sure, give MDA training camp and everything will be ok right?  I am looking forward to the same crap that happen with Mike Brown. That is the same excuse we have for Mike Brown. Give Mike Brown training camp.  Watch for a winless preseason and an 0 - 5 start.   There is nothing to prove that MDA is a good coach. Nothing.

Edited by epicwolf, June 17, 2013 - 12:59 PM.

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#37 netlord

netlord

Flying high

• 10,596 posts
  • Name:Alexi
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 17, 2013 - 01:13 PM

I watched every game.

I thought D'Antoni didn't cost us many games, but rather the players did.

Kobe was supposed to lead our team to victories.

D'Antoni ain't great, but we didn't do ONLY Kobe iso. 

There was Pau in the high post with options. There were screens and backdoors for Meeks, he even started getting Jamison in the right position.

You must be the only one in this forum that defends this headless chicken.

This guy cannot coach, I think he has proven that quite well.

Posted Image

#38 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,087 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted June 17, 2013 - 02:01 PM

D'Antoni's 5 man rotation is like John Cena's 5 moves of doom lol 

They always lead to predictable wins? :eh:

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#39 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&#

• 23,028 posts
  • Name:Kyler Hay
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Nash.Young, Farmar

Posted June 17, 2013 - 02:08 PM

They always lead to predictable wins? :eh:

check my new thread 

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#40 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,529 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted June 21, 2013 - 06:50 PM

Dave McMenamin: Mike D'Antoni has been interviewing assistant coaching candidates and should have his staff filled out in the next 1-2 weeks

If one gets hired its official he's here through training camp. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users