Photo

D'Antoni looking to hire two more assistants, and interesting possibilities

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 41,118 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted June 16, 2013 - 12:06 AM

Apparently he could be waiting for some other head coaching spots to be filled or not filled.

Mike D'Antoni is expected to hire two asst. coaches over the summer to join his brother Dan on a smaller LAL staff than Brown had.

Alright.  But this does raise the question as to whom the Lakers are looking at for assisting duties.

We all thought it was going to be Nate and Alvin Gentry if either didn't find a head coaching job.

But lately those names haven't come up at all lately in terms of coaching vacancies so if those spots aren't taken already it would make you wonder what names he or the Lakers are waiting on to NOT get hired before bringing him in.

Interesting tidbit of information I also came across is that Phil(yes THAT Phil) and Mitch Kupchak had a meeting last week where they discussed among other things Brian Shaw

The Zen Master said that he sat down with Mitch Kupchak a week ago – and the subject of Shaw’s previous candidacy came up.

During the meeting, Phil said, Mitch was unable to explain why Shaw was not hired. Phil stated that it must have been a personal reason of Jimmy Buss that steered the Lakers towards Mike Brown, and away from Shaw.

Phil also said he sits in on Lakers meetings from time to time, and that he advises Jeanie – now co-owner and not just owner’s daughter – on Lakers matters.

From here: http://www.lakersnat...eam/2013/06/13/

Now... this is interesting news to me.   Because something tells me that the positions not hiring don't have everything to do with D'antoni, but the Lakers in general. 

And the fact that Phil and Kupchak had a sit down a week ago to discuss things and somehow their conversation got to Brian Shaw is interesting.  I don't want to overspeculate how they got to talking about him, but it's interesting nonetheless, if Phil is actually present during Lakers meetings as well I have the feeling Shaw's name has come up a few more times.  But again that's me speculating.  But nevertheless it is more information than we knew previously and Phil does seem to be more involved than we initially thought. This is good news

Mitch also echoed similar statements a few days ago in terms of waiting on a coach to be or not be hired

Kupchak: We spend a lot of time talking about the staff. Mike was in here today talking about it with me. We don't stand in the way of a coach improving his position with another team, so with Steve Clifford going to Charlotte and a couple of other guys going to the bench (of other head coaches). It's kind of a carousel, so to speak, and I believe there are four or five head coaching jobs in the league still to be determined. We're monitoring that, and some of the names of guys that may be considered on some of those teams may be considered by us for assistant coaching positions.

from here: http://www.nba.com/l...05_mitchkupchak

So the fact that these circumstances which I don't think are coincidental are now surfacing, I have a theory that Mitch as well as Phil and the rest of the FO are thinking of bringing in some of those recently fired(or snubbed in Shaw's case) offers to certain coaches in the league. 

The fact Shaw's name came up, the fact that Mitch is monitoring other coaches that may or may not be hired.   The fact that Nate McMillain or Alvin Gentry's name hasn't come up in coaching candidacy for the past 3 weeks and they still aren't hired, makes me think there's something else afoot.

it could just be me wishfully thinking.. but Phil did say a few weeks ago that Shaw deserved a shot here...then Mitch is monitoring what coaches he'd offer for assistant jobs shall they not be hired for headcoaching jobs, and Phil has a sit down with Kupchak last week where the subject of Brian Shaw came up.

It can't all be a coincidence...at least I'm hoping it isn't.  :sorry:

Edited by Majesty, June 16, 2013 - 12:07 AM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#2 fozi

fozi

Off The Bench

• 2,048 posts

Posted June 16, 2013 - 12:56 AM

Does anyone feel lakers will fire mike after the fifth game of the season or is it just me ?

#3 Majesty

Majesty

• 41,118 posts

Posted June 16, 2013 - 01:22 AM

Does anyone feel lakers will fire mike after the fifth game of the season or is it just me ?

If we lose two times in the first week I think he'd be gone.   Got a feeling Mitch has the "do this right or be fired" attitude at the moment.    The same things he probably told D'antoni before that meeting in Memphis.

#4 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,969 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted June 16, 2013 - 01:37 AM

If we do that again im gonna be [expletive]ing pissed. If they have that little faith in him then they should fire him already. 

#5 Lakers4Life

Lakers4Life

Bleeds Purple & Gold

• 3,269 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 16, 2013 - 04:05 AM

Saddest part of ALL THIS? Means we are keeping this SOB

Laker fan for life.

#6 Drazard

Drazard

The Death Bringer

• 1,883 posts
  • Name:Drazard
  • Fan Since:1995
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 16, 2013 - 04:55 AM

Oh god why? another bad year for my facebook account.

33bkfif.jpg

#7 KobeWillReturnTriumphant

KobeWillReturnTriumphant

TheNefariousJim&HisSilverSpoon

• 1,879 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic/Kobe/Tony Smith

Posted June 16, 2013 - 09:16 AM

The fact that the lakers remain obstinant in keeping this idiot around is my main point of distress. The guy is a bum and brings nothing of value to the organization. Last season showed me enough that he lacks the respect of the players, can't coach worth crap, and ran too many players into the ground.

Edited by KobeWillReturnTriumphant, June 16, 2013 - 09:17 AM.

#8 CaliforniaSoul

CaliforniaSoul

Off The Bench

• 1,952 posts
  • Name:Mychal
  • Fav. Laker:James Worthy

Posted June 16, 2013 - 09:39 AM

If we do that again im gonna be [expletive]ing pissed. If they have that little faith in him then they should fire him already.

This.

There's no doubt in my mind if we keep MDA he's going to get fired this year. He's awful. Hopefully we have a decent assistant to take the throne when it inevitably happens.

#9 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&a

• 23,354 posts
  • Name:Kyler
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Swaggy and Kareem

Posted June 16, 2013 - 09:40 AM

Kinda weird that they met to talk about Shaw, seems to me that Shaw will be hired if we fire ass-hat 

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#10 Majesty

Majesty

• 41,118 posts

Posted June 16, 2013 - 10:11 AM

Kinda weird that they met to talk about Shaw, seems to me that Shaw will be hired if we fire ass-hat 

I get more of the feeling they are gonna offer Shaw an assistant position if he doesn't get a head coaching job.

#11 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&a

• 23,354 posts
  • Name:Kyler
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Swaggy and Kareem

Posted June 16, 2013 - 10:15 AM

I get more of the feeling they are gonna offer Shaw an assistant position if he doesn't get a head coaching job.

Would he work with D'Antoni though, he has it made in Indiana 

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#12 Majesty

Majesty

• 41,118 posts

Posted June 16, 2013 - 10:18 AM

Would he work with D'Antoni though, he has it made in Indiana 

I'm thinking as Phil is here even if it's not official, sitting in on Lakers meetings and meeting with Mitch that he has somewhat of a presence here.   If he met with Mitch and they discussed Shaw it may have come up and at the end of the day the Lakers may be the only team that gives him a chance now, especially if D'antoni is fired at some point in the season.

Could you imagine that?    if Shaw came here as an assistant and D'antoni was fired in the first week of the season.. that would make Shaw our coach going forward and we wouldn't need to shell out money for another one.     Besides the fact that Phil is more of a presence than we initially thought and isn't shut out, him being here may make Shaw more likely to sign on especially after all the times he's been snubbed this year for the head coaching job.  He doesn't seem to have ill will towards the Lakers for not hiring him, and I think Phil being here could convince him  His name wouldn't come up between Phil and Mitch if it didn't have a chance :)   That and Mitch and the Lakers seem to be playing the waiting game on coaches that aren't being hired for head coaching positions.

So unless they're looking at Hollins and Karl who I don't see them offering assistant jobs or either of them not being hired as head coaches, I think Shaw is the guy they are waiting on without saying it by name.

Edited by Majesty, June 16, 2013 - 10:21 AM.

• 40,604 posts

Posted June 16, 2013 - 11:20 AM

Saddest part of ALL THIS? Means we are keeping this SOB

Or for some (not including me) that Dwight's definitely not staying.

Goodbye Dwight.

yo.

#14 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,910 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted June 16, 2013 - 12:03 PM

Nothing positive about this.

Just means that he is still going to be the coach. Depressing.

#15 fozi

fozi

Off The Bench

• 2,048 posts

Posted June 16, 2013 - 12:05 PM

George Karl head coach of the Lakers ? LOL would be awkward tbh ..

Personally, if FO has any intention to hire Shaw it would be only if Howard re-signs but I dont think Shaw will be hired after the season begins .. If the season started, we'll be in the same position where we were last season. You'll hear the exact same statement from Mitch and the same excuses regarding training camp and that players were learning in the fly, even though Kobe knows the triangle as well as Gasol if he's staying ..

Jimmy is doing what krause did with Chicago, want to win without any Phil-related to it, but i think things will change, hopefully..

Edited by fozi, June 16, 2013 - 12:06 PM.

#16 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,489 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted June 16, 2013 - 01:47 PM

So we are blaming 17-25 ON D'Antoni but none of the 28-12 is due to him right after that right?

Oh yeah, we were supposed to beat the Spurs without Kobe and Nash.

#17 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,567 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted June 16, 2013 - 02:08 PM

LOLOL don't back up MDA you're gonna lose that argument easily.

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#18 KobeWillReturnTriumphant

KobeWillReturnTriumphant

TheNefariousJim&HisSilverSpoon

• 1,879 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic/Kobe/Tony Smith

Posted June 16, 2013 - 03:11 PM

So we are blaming 17-25 ON D'Antoni but none of the 28-12 is due to him right after that right?

28-12 because Kobe played 48 minutes a game.  28-12 because the players stopped listening to dantoni.  Sweep and embarrasment at the hands of the Spurs.  Lakers couldnt have beat the Spurs, but getting outcoached and seeing all the starters run into the ground is on Danotni.

#19 fozi

fozi

Off The Bench

• 2,048 posts

Posted June 16, 2013 - 03:12 PM

So can you please elaborate what credit should he take other than agreeing to disregard his offense ?

#20 Majesty

Majesty

• 41,118 posts

Posted June 16, 2013 - 03:30 PM

28-12 because Kobe played 48 minutes a game.  28-12 because the players stopped listening to dantoni.  Sweep and embarrasment at the hands of the Spurs.  Lakers couldnt have beat the Spurs, but getting outcoached and seeing all the starters run into the ground is on Danotni.

Just to play devil's advocate.

What lineups would you have run when your only available players are

Kobe
Blake
Meeks
Dwight
Gasol
Clark
Jamison
Metta(till the Clippers game, then we only had 7 available players)

Those are the only players we had during that final stretch of the season where Kobe had to play 41-5+ minutes a game.

What would you have changed?

Would you have done?  What lineups would you have run?

That is 8 players, and those are the only players we had available.

People complained about our 8 man rotation. 

But the only other available players were Duhon, Morris, Ebanks and Sacre.

Do you give those players extended minutes?

Mind you, we were at the time one loss between making the playoffs or not making the playoffs.

So considering those 8 players are your only go to's and the only thing you can change due to injury is giving Duhon, Morris, Ebanks or Sacre more minutes.

Would you have played Kobe 35 minutes and given the extra minutes to Duhon, Morris or Ebanks? 

Mind you, you're one loss from not making the playoffs at all.

So would you have given Kobe 35 minutes and sat him and instead played Duhon, Morris, and Ebanks? When you're game to game one loss from being out of the playoffs instead?    Once again I remind you, your only other options outside of that 8 man rotation that everyone complained about that weren't injured, was Duhon, Morris, Ebanks and Sacre...

And then when Metta is injured and your entire roster outside of Duhon, Morris, Sacre and Ebanks, is down to 7....

So, what would you have done differently during that final stretch?  Just wondering.

If D'antoni was sitting Kobe and putting Morris or Duhon in and we were losing games and we missed the playoffs would you be saying "Well at least D'antoni rested Kobe and showed he cared."  or would you be saying "D'antoni is a freaking idiot!! Kobe was our only chance of making the playoffs and you bench him!? It's too late to care about minutes when the playoffs are on the line!! [expletive] D'antoni!!!! Worry about minutes WHEN we make the playoffs!!!! freaking Idiot coach!"

I'm just playing Advocate right now and wondering, that's all.

Edited by Majesty, June 16, 2013 - 03:43 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users