Photo

Goodbye Metta, Larry Coon on the Lakers

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#61 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 41,139 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted June 16, 2013 - 05:24 PM

Korver is not a priority. More like a luxury.

But I think he has more value than a guy like Webster, because of his ability to get WHITE HOT

I would disagree there.

Webster shot 42% from three while also having defensive effort, showing ability to get to the basket and was top 5 in efficiency of players that weren't centers.   And he's 26 not 32.

I think if it came down to Webster or Korver  You'd go with Webster

Better legs, more youthful, just as deadly from three, more to his game, gives you effort on defense and can get red hot from three as well.

But the truth is both played themselves into larger contracts.

The only way we could get Webster to take less money is through his friendship with Kobe who is his idol and sometimes summer workout buddy.

I think both could be out of our reach because of the contracts they played themselves into.  But if both were available and were willing to take the mMLE, I'd go with Webster instead of Korver.

Just has more to offer in his game along with his youth and athleticism and being a dynamite three point shooter.   Korver on the other hand is just a dynamite three point shooter.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#62 BleedPurple&Gold

BleedPurple&Gold

All-Star

• 6,491 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic

Posted June 16, 2013 - 05:27 PM

Nope Webster just as bad at defense, doesn't show anything to get to the basketball and was the reason why he was so efficient cause all he did was shoot. Plus he only showed this one year. He could go back being terrible the next.

Edited by BleedPurple&Gold, June 16, 2013 - 05:30 PM.

9888d4ba-ad6b-4879-93aa-9ef1c6ed1dbd_zps

#63 Majesty

Majesty

• 41,139 posts

Posted June 16, 2013 - 05:29 PM

Nope Webster just has bad at defense, doesn't show anything to get to the basketball and was the reason why he was so efficient cause all he did was shoot. Plus he only showed this one year. He could go back being terrible the next.

And so could the 32 year old Korver.

#64 BleedPurple&Gold

BleedPurple&Gold

All-Star

• 6,491 posts

Posted June 16, 2013 - 05:33 PM

And so could the 32 year old Korver.

Korver hasn't slumped in over four seasons now. He proved that he could keep doing this not just for one year

Edited by BleedPurple&Gold, June 16, 2013 - 05:36 PM.

#65 Majesty

Majesty

• 41,139 posts

Posted June 16, 2013 - 07:56 PM

Korver hasn't slumped in over four seasons now. He proved that he could keep doing this not just for one year

korver's improvement is about the same sort although Websters was on a grander scale, both put in great seasons.

Korver is a career 43% from the field 41% from three shooter and a 9.6 ppg player
Korver this year was 46% from the field 45% from three and 10.9 ppg

Webster is a career 41% from the field 38% from three  and 8.9 ppg player
Webster this year was 44% from the field 42% from three and 11.4 ppg

They both had good seasons but in terms of their shooting they hovered around where they were career wise, so nothing that would say "major dropoff" really.   It was Websters efficiency and it all seeming like it came together for him this season consistently that made it appear on a larger scale.  As did it for Korver, and it also has to do with the fact that both were in the proper system that could maximize their talents.

But if I had to pick whose game would fall off first, I would say Korver just because of what he does with his game, he's no spring chicken so once those legs go Kapono he'll be done in the league.   When that happens we don't know.  But It would happen before Webster I'd assume unless Webster completely slacks off in the off-season as he's getting better and better and is only 26 with still room to grow and is a 7 year vet, though the last time he averaged 28 mins a game which was back in 07-08 he put up similar numbers to this year maybe 2 or 3 percentage points off which is not much but it shows he can play at the level he played at this year, especially now that he's more mature and 2008 was long ago.

So I think Martell still can play at this level.  Korver can too till age catches up to his legs and at 32 who knows when that will be.

#66 BleedPurple&Gold

BleedPurple&Gold

All-Star

• 6,491 posts

Posted June 16, 2013 - 07:59 PM

Yeah but we dont know if Webster is going to repeat what he did last year. Clearly see that Korver hasn't fall off yet so... we are looking for snipers i would pick Korver better shooter

Edited by BleedPurple&Gold, June 16, 2013 - 08:02 PM.

#67 Majesty

Majesty

• 41,139 posts

Posted June 16, 2013 - 08:03 PM

Yeah but we dont know if Webster is going to repeat what he did last year. Clearly see that Korver hasn't fall off yet so... we are looking for snipers i would pick Korver better shooter

Understood and +1 for your opinion.

And I'd pick Webster because I feel he'd be able to do more offensively if they took away the perimeter :)  And would try harder on defense along with being younger and his legs lasting longer imo.

Both would be a gem offensively for any team in their price range.

Edited by Majesty, June 16, 2013 - 08:04 PM.

#68 BleedPurple&Gold

BleedPurple&Gold

All-Star

• 6,491 posts

Posted June 16, 2013 - 08:10 PM

1+

but Webster is not a good ball dribbler and he's not a good finisher so I dont know how can he be effective if they take away the perimeter 

#69 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,567 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted June 16, 2013 - 09:28 PM

Btw Majesty, Metta still isn't worth 7 million. Korver had nothing to do with this thread idk why you brought him up.

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#70 Majesty

Majesty

• 41,139 posts

Posted June 16, 2013 - 09:42 PM

Btw Majesty, Metta still isn't worth 7 million. Korver had nothing to do with this thread idk why you brought him up.

Of course Metta isn't. 

We gave those contracts with front end and quick success in mind not back end. 

Same for Pau.   We actually were about to unload him and get rid of that contract but....well you know...the worst day...

#71 Artest37

Artest37

Rookie

• 172 posts
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Dwight Howard

Posted June 17, 2013 - 06:21 AM

i hope he does. He is set for life so are his children's children
:laughing: Perhaps even his children's children's children.

But not his mom, who keeps suing him for cash...

Twitter : @_PurpleReign_

Posted Image

#72 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,490 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted June 17, 2013 - 08:32 AM

^ isnt that really Ron? Or Daniel?

#73 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,366 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted June 17, 2013 - 08:46 AM

Nothing is surprising here. Metta was as good as gone the moment the season ended. Almost every know that already. Metta is great at hosting parties but not great at basketball anymore.  Everytime he dribbles, the chances of the him turning it over is about 90%.  He can't defend anybody but occasionally he might get lucky.

The only thing I disagree with is Dwight returning to the lakers.  Sure if wants to stay in LA but not with this LA team. He wants to team up with Cp3 and will forced the lakers hand to trade him to the Clippers.  MDA is ruining the Lakers franchise as we speak. D12 doesnt want to play for MDA.  Pau Gasol doesn't want to play for MDA.  Kobe have no choice but to play for MDA and even Nash is embarrassed to be linked with MDA.  So I won't be surprise if D12 end up being a clipper and we end up getting bletsoe and the most over rated player in the league Blake Griffin. 

Thanks MDA for everything.

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

• 40,604 posts

Posted June 17, 2013 - 11:28 AM

^ isnt that really Ron? Or Daniel?

This is his brother's profile:

http://lakernation.c...1684-truartest/

He used to post here every now & then back in the day.

Ron used to have an account here as well, but I can't seem to find it anymore. It probably got deleted or something.

yo.

#75 Majesty

Majesty

• 41,139 posts

Posted June 17, 2013 - 02:31 PM

Nothing is surprising here. Metta was as good as gone the moment the season ended. Almost every know that already. Metta is great at hosting parties but not great at basketball anymore.  Everytime he dribbles, the chances of the him turning it over is about 90%.  He can't defend anybody but occasionally he might get lucky.

The only thing I disagree with is Dwight returning to the lakers.  Sure if wants to stay in LA but not with this LA team. He wants to team up with Cp3 and will forced the lakers hand to trade him to the Clippers.  MDA is ruining the Lakers franchise as we speak. D12 doesnt want to play for MDA.  Pau Gasol doesn't want to play for MDA.  Kobe have no choice but to play for MDA and even Nash is embarrassed to be linked with MDA.  So I won't be surprise if D12 end up being a clipper and we end up getting bletsoe and the most over rated player in the league Blake Griffin. 

Thanks MDA for everything.

You're overreacting.

First of all the Lakers aren't gonna help Dwight form a super team anywhere but here.

If Dwight walks away it will be to a Rockets team that had to trade away all their depth in order to sign him and be in CBA hell following it.

The Rockets are getting desperate now and asking the Lakers for a Sign and Trade so they can go ahead and sign Chris Paul and then team him with Dwight.

The Rockets are very clear now that if they trade all their depth which they'd have to to sign Dwight, that just Dwight wouldn't be enough.  So their focus is now on trying to sign Chris Paul and acquiring Dwight in a sign and trade.   The Lakers aren't gonna give it.

Dwight can't FORCE the Lakers to send him anywhere.   Definitely not to forming a super team in Houston or the Clippers.

The Lakers are gonna leave Dwight with ultimatum.

Go to Houston and take up the rest of their CBA space after they've traded away all their depth with no room to grow or to sign any viable players to deepen the team and be a first round exit.

Or stay on the Lakers where they actually have more than a one year plan to contend for a championship.

Those will be Dwights two choices and he'll either stay here where the Lakers have a plan, or go to the Rockets for 30 million less at an attempt for another quick fix, get beat in the first round and regret it as we sign two max players in 2014 with the money he DIDN'T take.

Dwight can't force the Lakers to send him to the Clippers or the Rockets in a sign and trade and the Lakers know this and they also know the scenario he'd be walking into in Houston if they could ONLY afford him and not get CP3(and they'd have to get one or the other)  you don't leverage the Buss's. 

if Dwight said "Trade me to the Clippers or to the Rockets so I can form a superteam with CP3"  they'll say.  "No, if you want to go, walk on your own to a Houston team that got rid of all their depth just to have you and enjoy being a first round exit and run away from here where we unlike them actually have a plan that expands beyond next year.  But if you don't want another max player here with us along with Kobe and you in 2014 with us having enough room to get two more free agents with a chance at a championship for the next 5 years then go ahead.  We'll be just fine.  You won't."

Jerry West did the same thing when Kobe was asking him the same things and what happened?  Kobe stayed right here :)

Edited by Majesty, June 17, 2013 - 02:33 PM.

#76 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,567 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted June 18, 2013 - 12:00 PM

Of course Metta isn't. 

We gave those contracts with front end and quick success in mind not back end. 

Same for Pau.   We actually were about to unload him and get rid of that contract but....well you know...the worst day...

Haha cp3 =/ what could've been.

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#77 Drazard

Drazard

The Death Bringer

• 1,883 posts
  • Name:Drazard
  • Fan Since:1995
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 18, 2013 - 10:18 PM

Great shooter's becomes sloppy after signing here in LA

Steve Blake and Jodie Meeks are part of that.

I prefer someone who can D than shooters.

33bkfif.jpg

• 40,604 posts

Posted June 18, 2013 - 11:13 PM

^ So I take it you must like someone like Tony Allen. Can't shoot to save his life, but usually pretty awesome on D.

yo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users