77 replies to this topic

#21 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Starter

• 5,439 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 15, 2013 - 05:19 PM

Not sure how amnestying him helps the Lakers except financially.  There is not a SF on the market that is better than Metta right now that the Lakers can sign.  Guys need to just get over the fact that the Lakers arent going to contend with any new team until 2014.  The team we had this past year will be here with maybe a new piece for the Mini MLE.  If healthy this team can contend.  Only way we see a drastic change to the roster barring Dwight leaving is that if Pau is traded.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#22 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 35,865 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted June 15, 2013 - 05:24 PM

The business reality is that financially or not, the Lakers aren't going to amnesty Metta until they sign a viable starting 3 replacement as well as a bench 3 along with that.

Otherwise amnestying him would leave them without a 3 on the team which wouldn't be smart.

There is a process of things that have to happen before the other takes place.

Larry Coon saying "if the Lakers amnesty metta it could save them 30 million"

That's true, but at the same time the Lakers would want to amnesty metta under the best circumstances.

The best circumstances would be re-signing Clark and another 3 that could be suitable as a starter or a bench 3 along with Clark. 

If those things happen they would likely amnesty Metta.

But if that doesn't happen, or even only half of it happens(like signing one 3(Clark) but not another) than Metta is remaining whether fans like it or not.   Their roster is not flexible enough for them to NOT need him under any less circumstances.  Some fans that want Metta gone may not like it...

But they'd hate it a lot more if the Lakers amnestied Metta, had no 3 going into the next season, and Kobe was forced to play heavy minutes at the 3 upon returning with Meeks starting for us getting major minutes at the 2.  As well as having no 3 if Kobe didn't come back IMMEDIATELY at the start of the season unless Clark played 48 minutes a night.

Edited by Majesty, June 15, 2013 - 05:26 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#23 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Zankyou no Terror

• 8,387 posts

Posted June 15, 2013 - 05:39 PM

I'd take a chance on Danny Granger, if the Lakers can do that.

MMiRi9s.png

#24 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Starter

• 5,439 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted June 15, 2013 - 07:34 PM

How in the world are they going to get Danny Granger? He's on a 14M expiring with some serious knee issues. 

I'd take a chance on Danny Granger, if the Lakers can do that.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#25 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,474 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted June 15, 2013 - 09:30 PM

Coon is good with numbers which is why I agree with him with the Metta prediction but I still am not that confident about dwight. I really dont think dwight like being on the lakers. He wants to be a big fish in a little pond. Hopefully he's right though. Im not happy with dwight not wanting to be with us. Its really insulting due to how much we are willing to go to have him but either way I still want him on the team. 

• 40,365 posts

Posted June 15, 2013 - 09:34 PM

Im not happy with dwight not wanting to be with us. Its really insulting due to how much we are willing to go to have him

Yeah so far that we're willing to keep Mike D'Antoni just for him. Shame on him. He should be more grateful.

yo.

#27 MidnightMarauder

MidnightMarauder

Off The Bench

• 1,429 posts
  • Name:Michael
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Lamar, Worthy, Magic

Posted June 15, 2013 - 09:40 PM

Yeah so far that we're willing to keep Mike D'Antoni just for him. Shame on him. He should be more grateful.

hahaha i was about to say that.

Really though, Dwight doesn't owe us anything, as much as I want him to stay. He's earned the right to be a free agent and choose where he wants to go.

• 40,365 posts

Posted June 15, 2013 - 09:44 PM

He really doesn't, especially as long as we're willing to show him we'd rather basically pick a majorly flawed coach, whom especially goes against everything he (Dwight) best stands for, post play and defense. If you have a fair mind and acknowledge these facts, even as a Laker fan, you really can't be too mad at Dwight.

yo.

#29 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,458 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted June 15, 2013 - 09:45 PM

I don't think anyone here would be crazy enough to pay Metta 7 million here either than Majesty lmfao...

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#30 RobBlake

RobBlake

Off The Bench

• 2,053 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted June 15, 2013 - 09:51 PM

a healthy Dwight + Kobe and whoever else is on the roster will make us a contender... maybe not the strongest.. but a contender.. please dwight stay :( 

ap1.png

• 40,365 posts

Posted June 15, 2013 - 09:52 PM

^ As long as MDA's running the show, I'm not too sure about us being serious "contenders". I wish I felt differently, but logic tells me otherwise.

yo.

#32 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,039 posts
  • Name:Pat

Posted June 15, 2013 - 09:58 PM

The Lakers really haven't done anything right since last offseason apart from trading for Dwight in the first place.

Hiring D'Antoni, trading for Steve Nash, and keeping Pau for too long are the 3 biggest mistakes that have put this team in the horrible position they are in today.

Edited by Japago, June 15, 2013 - 09:59 PM.

Posted Image

#33 RobBlake

RobBlake

Off The Bench

• 2,053 posts

Posted June 15, 2013 - 10:47 PM

The Lakers really haven't done anything right since last offseason apart from trading for Dwight in the first place.

Hiring D'Antoni, trading for Steve Nash, and keeping Pau for too long are the 3 biggest mistakes that have put this team in the horrible position they are in today.

well last season was a fluke of a season when it comes to swapping coaches, not having the starters play together for 90%+ of the time together for offseason practices and into post season. Different schemes.  Misusage of players. INJURIES.  Too many assistants. No real focus on defense assignments. I see these things improving minus having some injuries recovered from still *namely kobe*

We still need a young PG who can at least keep up with the guy in front of him.  We need to use nash more for his shooting ability. I think we should use him in the ginoboli form.. if blake elevates his play more so from last year...idk i might not mind him starting initially.  Not everything was negative from a VERY negative season. We did fight our way back into the playoffs which was very doubtful. What will be crucial for out success if we keep the same roster for the most part is who will be the assistant coaches. Who has the defensive type mind set and is not scared to go against Mike. MDA needs to be checked if he's going to be coach.

ap1.png

#34 Mike D'Antoni

Mike D'Antoni

Rookie

• 1,054 posts
  • Name:Juan
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 15, 2013 - 10:59 PM

Mda is a disaster. But metta gives the lakers nothing. Earl Clark is a far better starter at this point, athleticism and playmaking ability at the 3 position is what he would provide. Please if I have to see metta jack up more shots and dribble into double teams I will lose it. He provides zero defense. Lesser 3's like Corey brewer light metta up. Please let him go. He won a ring 3 years ago. But he has to go.

#35 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,314 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted June 16, 2013 - 02:31 AM

I think Coon states the obvious; Metta has to go. 

Metta isn't the defender he used to be and on the other end, I think most teams can live with him shooting 3s and long 2s, so they barely guard those shots. We need someone who can either shut down opposing team's best wing or be deadly from outside - preferrably both. 

I even think a defensive traffic-cone like Kyle Korver would do wonders for this team, since he is beyond deadly from outside (.457). 

#36 RobBlake

RobBlake

Off The Bench

• 2,053 posts

Posted June 16, 2013 - 03:27 AM

he could be our miller *heat*

Metta isn't the defender he used to be and on the other end, I think most teams can live with him shooting 3s and long 2s, so they barely guard those shots. We need someone who can either shut down opposing team's best wing or be deadly from outside - preferrably both. 

I even think a defensive traffic-cone like Kyle Korver would do wonders for this team, since he is beyond deadly from outside (.457). 

Edited by RobBlake, June 16, 2013 - 03:27 AM.

ap1.png

#37 Majesty

Majesty

• 35,865 posts

Posted June 16, 2013 - 04:14 AM

He wants a long term contract he can retire off of.

Not gonna happen as a Laker with our 2014 plan and would cost too much

#38 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,458 posts

Posted June 16, 2013 - 02:11 PM

He wants a long term contract he can retire off of.

Not gonna happen as a Laker with our 2014 plan and would cost too much

Metta is not worth a 7 million dollar contract

#39 Majesty

Majesty

• 35,865 posts

Posted June 16, 2013 - 02:11 PM

Metta is not worth a 7 million dollar contract

And Korver is not worth a multi year expensive contract he can retire off of.

#40 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,458 posts

Posted June 16, 2013 - 02:13 PM

And Korver is not worth a multi year expensive contract he can retire off of.

This has nothing to do with Korver. However, Korver is still serviceable unlike Metta.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users