28 replies to this topic

#1 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,866 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 15, 2013 - 12:05 AM

I'm sure we've had a topic asking this before (search on my iPhone is horribly slow where I'm at right now, ugh), but I figured I might as well start up a new topic, since these lists may have changed over time.

What are your top five horror movies of all time?

#2 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,623 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted June 15, 2013 - 12:08 AM

tumblr_ll867vF2Dx1qbo1tvo1_400.jpg

#3 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,682 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted June 15, 2013 - 12:33 AM

1) Psycho
2) The Haunting(original version)

3) House of Wax
4) Nightmare on Elm Street(all in one category)
5) The Room

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#4 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,848 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted June 15, 2013 - 12:45 AM

1) The Shining

2) Poltergeist

3) Halloween (1978)

4) Dawn Of The Dead (1978)

5) Creepshow

I love the horror genre, so these change a lot.  But for the most part, these 5 films always hover near the top.

#5 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,682 posts

Posted June 15, 2013 - 12:59 AM

I'll always throw in Freaks as my fifth one.  The Room was just a joke :)

#6 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,079 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted June 15, 2013 - 04:18 AM

1. The Exorcist

2. Halloween

3. Pet Sematary

4. Child's Play

5. Hellraiser

Pau Gasol is GONE

#7 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,866 posts

Posted June 15, 2013 - 11:48 AM

See, I actually started the topic not only to get the lists, but I'm wondering how many of you add movies out of respect (ex. originality, or just being the first movie of a thriller series) instead of placing it high because it's scary.

Will, I'm assuming you're talking about the original Halloween movie? I actually liked the remake. My biggest problem with the original is that it didn't dive into his childhood as much as I wanted it to, and it left me curious. I always figured they would get to it later on, but they never did.

Jay, the same goes for ANOES. Freddy Krueger is my guy, but the remake (even though it wasn't Robert Englund) just delivered more for me. I have every one of those movies made, even the Freddy vs. Jason movie, and watching the first one makes me cringe at how cheesy it is, now that I'm older.

Andy, seems like The Shining is a favorite for almost everyone in my family, haha. It's the first movie my girlfriend named when I asked her.

And yes, Kazaam was indeed scary, lol.

#8 JEN

JEN

Legend

• 27,044 posts

Posted June 15, 2013 - 11:50 AM

tumblr_ll867vF2Dx1qbo1tvo1_400.jpg

:laughing:

#9 fido

fido

• 10,848 posts

Posted June 15, 2013 - 12:07 PM

I can't get enough of The Shining.

Really no movie "scares" me.  I like horror movies for the mood they set basically and The Shining is just hypnotizing no matter how many times you see it.

• 40,395 posts

Posted June 15, 2013 - 12:11 PM

Wow, shocking event. What prompted to you to suddenly miraculously make a thread in the off-topic section, much less at all? Whatever it was, it's good to see. Always great when you post almost anything.

yo.

#11 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,866 posts

Posted June 15, 2013 - 12:26 PM

Wow, shocking event. What prompted to you to suddenly miraculously make a thread in the off-topic section, much less at all? Whatever it was, it's good to see. Always great when you post almost anything.

I've been forcing my girlfriend into watching scary movies lately, lol. We watched Cabin In The Woods yesterday, and it was very good...surprised me a bit. Then I broke out Drag Me To Hell, and it was awful (despite the great reviews).

Of course, those are opinions, but anyway, she started talking about movies she used to watch with her dad when she was younger (ex. Invasion of the Body Snatchers, The Fly, The Blob), and I decided I don't create enough off-topic threads, so I started from the bottom, now I'm here.

#12 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&#

• 23,087 posts
  • Name:Kyler Hay
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Nash.Young, Farmar

Posted June 15, 2013 - 12:34 PM

I've been forcing my girlfriend into watching scary movies lately, lol. We watched Cabin In The Woods yesterday, and it was very good...surprised me a bit. Then I broke out Drag Me To Hell, and it was awful (despite the great reviews).

Of course, those are opinions, but anyway, she started talking about movies she used to watch with her dad when she was younger (ex. Invasion of the Body Snatchers, The Fly, The Blob), and I decided I don't create enough off-topic threads, so I started from the bottom, now I'm here.

I see what you did there 

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#13 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,079 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted June 15, 2013 - 03:03 PM

See, I actually started the topic not only to get the lists, but I'm wondering how many of you add movies out of respect (ex. originality, or just being the first movie of a thriller series) instead of placing it high because it's scary.

Will, I'm assuming you're talking about the original Halloween movie? I actually liked the remake. My biggest problem with the original is that it didn't dive into his childhood as much as I wanted it to, and it left me curious. I always figured they would get to it later on, but they never did.

Yeh, I'm talking about the original. Halloween isn't scary like The Exorcist scary but it has some good material here and there. I probably listed it for nostalgic purposes honestly: Classic Michael Myers, Jamie Lee Curtis, classic music theme. I enjoyed the remake (Rob Zombie) too. 

Pau Gasol is GONE

#14 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,682 posts

Posted June 15, 2013 - 05:56 PM

Jay, the same goes for ANOES. Freddy Krueger is my guy, but the remake (even though it wasn't Robert Englund) just delivered more for me. I have every one of those movies made, even the Freddy vs. Jason movie, and watching the first one makes me cringe at how cheesy it is, now that I'm older.

Andy, seems like The Shining is a favorite for almost everyone in my family, haha. It's the first movie my girlfriend named when I asked her.

And yes, Kazaam was indeed scary, lol.

Yes actually the Nightmare on Elm Street movies I loved the remake, I really loved it.  Saw it in a packed theatre and the atmosphere in that room was probably one of the greatest movie going experience I've ever been a part of.  Was the perfect crowd, there was only one real interruption but it was like a group of adults and teenagers that loved the Nightmare movies all in one place, it was awesome. 

The only interruption(aside from the normal moans and groans and scared screams and omgs) was during the first part of the movie in the diner scene.   When the kid is asleep and the diner goes dark and then you realize he's having a dream and then he starts to walk back to the kitchen.

One of the black people in the theatre screamed out "Run white man!!!!!"  and the entire theatre burst out laughing.  And then Freddy's hand showed up, the entire audience shrieked and went silent and watched with anticipation.  

That crowd I think made the experience THAT much greater :)

Though I really wish they'd gone with the original ending they had intended.

Gosh I love THAT ending so much more! 

But in terms of why I rank them.

And the effect

1) Psycho

Well... it's hard for me to explain exactly why =P It's rule of thumb that everything that happens is kept taboo =p

So I'll just say, anyone that sees this film will see EXACTLY why it ranks number one.  Not just for how iconic it was for it's time, but the pacing, the cinematography and the acting, everything was perfect imo and it freaked you out in more ways than one ESPECIALLY for a first time viewer.   Hitchcock is a genius, that's all that need be said.

2)  The Haunting

The perfect example of a film that has you gripped from beginning to end in suspense and terror without showing you anything.  This movie is a gigantic warp on your mind and your mind will scare you because of what you don't see over what you do.  It's the perfect movie of building suspense without having to show you the OMG MONSTER kind of thing.  Creature features always have a strong build up to the monster and then when the monster is shown you either are scared or like "thats not scary" 

This movie has all that build up and it's never ending, it's a constant build in your mind as your mind starts to make things scarier and scarier.  

This movie is one of the best horror and suspense movies I have ever seen and thus it stands at number 2.

3) House of Wax

Again, I don't want to give too much away, but it's Vincent Price doing what he does best and that's creep and scare the living daylights out of you with his presence and his brilliant acting.  A must see for all Vincent Price fans and all horror genre fans, this one is an absolute timeless classic.

4) Nightmare on Elm Street, pretty much the same as above.  Freddy is awesome as is Robert Englund, as is Jackie Haley.  Robert Englund also actually happens to be my favorite incarnation of the Gaston Leroux Phantom of the Opera as well that's been put on cinema.  His portrayal of Erik is absolutely perfect.  Most people when they portray Erik go with the Andrew Lloyd Webber version.   But Robert Englund is probably the most brilliant Erik of the Leroux version I've seen on cinema and he deserved much more credit for it.   

But back to Nightmare, one of my all time favorites I'm sure all have seen it, it just felt right for the horror genre :D   It had everything, and it had the most important and chilling thing that someone could never escape, their sleep.

The woods, you can avoid, really dark rooms you can avoid, cabins in the middle of nowhere and hitchhickers you can avoid.  But you can never avoid your sleep and that's what makes Freddy so scary.

5) Freaks

Not so much scary but.. it was one of those movies that really sent an awkward chill down your spine that awkward moment that seems to creep into your heart when something is held on too long.  Anyone that's seen the "one of us...one of us..one of us..." scene in that movie knows exactly what I mean.     It's just one of those "stare too long and you'll get an uncomfortable twinge in your heart" kind of movies as I remember it.  Not seen it in years but it ranks 5th on my list from what I remember of it :)

Edited by Majesty, June 15, 2013 - 05:59 PM.

#15 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,035 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 15, 2013 - 07:03 PM

Nightmare on Elm Street definitely. Or The Others maybe. 

#16 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,866 posts

Posted June 15, 2013 - 10:34 PM

The bad thing about the alternate ending was that, honestly, it wouldn't make sense for him to re-enter the "real world" as himself, since he was burned alive in the past. In her dreams, he controlled the way he looked, could have done anything, but once she brought him back in, he should have had the burned look again. I'm sure people would have questioned that.

But I do like that ending better, since she did burn him alive once again.

I was scared to death of Freddy when I was younger, though. See, I was raised by my parents, but I spent a lot of time at my grandmother's house with my cousin (who was raised by her), spent nights out there...and I was six or so when I started watching ANOES (lol, yes, six years old). My cousin would tape butter knives to his fingers, put on this sweater he colored in with marker, a hat that looked like a Freddy's fedora, and come around the corner and scare the life out of me at 3 AM. We watched every movie, and all of the Halloween and Friday the 13th movies, without my mom and dad knowing, haha.

Back then, it wasn't really that big of a deal for kids to watch those movies (not like it is now), but I figured I'd be in trouble if they found out, because I'd stay up until 3-4 AM watching them.

#17 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,682 posts

Posted June 15, 2013 - 11:26 PM

The bad thing about the alternate ending was that, honestly, it wouldn't make sense for him to re-enter the "real world" as himself, since he was burned alive in the past. In her dreams, he controlled the way he looked, could have done anything, but once she brought him back in, he should have had the burned look again. I'm sure people would have questioned that.

But I do like that ending better, since she did burn him alive once again.

I was scared to death of Freddy when I was younger, though. See, I was raised by my parents, but I spent a lot of time at my grandmother's house with my cousin (who was raised by her), spent nights out there...and I was six or so when I started watching ANOES (lol, yes, six years old). My cousin would tape butter knives to his fingers, put on this sweater he colored in with marker, a hat that looked like a Freddy's fedora, and come around the corner and scare the life out of me at 3 AM. We watched every movie, and all of the Halloween and Friday the 13th movies, without my mom and dad knowing, haha.

Back then, it wasn't really that big of a deal for kids to watch those movies (not like it is now), but I figured I'd be in trouble if they found out, because I'd stay up until 3-4 AM watching them.

Always loved the late night horror movies :D That was actually how I saw Freddy's Dead the final nightmare.    The recap of all the Nightmare's in the credit sequence creeped me the heck out.

#18 fido

fido

• 10,848 posts

Posted June 16, 2013 - 07:51 PM

The Halloween and Nightmare On Elm Street remakes were atrocious films.

Cabin In The Woods was a really fun film.  A nice middle finger and tribute to all horror films at once.  Did not expect to like it as much as I do.

#19 Busty Bluth

Busty Bluth

--Hey Brother!--

• 21,499 posts
  • Name:Byron "Buster AKA Busty" Bluth

Posted June 16, 2013 - 09:25 PM

Bloodsucka Jones :)

Buster_bcfa40_2218659_zpsbf0d8a7a.gif

#20 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,851 posts