• Please log in to reply
394 replies to this topic

#281 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 15,085 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted June 23, 2013 - 02:22 PM

Every team in the NBA should be against this. I dont even thing it will really help the clippers much because I really dont think Doc will do much with them but still its the principal of the thing. Teams should not be able to break rules like this. 

#282 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 3,984 posts
  • Name:Pat
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 23, 2013 - 02:27 PM

From what I'm reading from the people covering this, the only issue earlier is that the deal involved players.

Maybe they'll have issues if they try to trade Jordan for Garnett any time soon.

Edited by Japago, June 23, 2013 - 02:32 PM.

Posted Image

#283 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&#

• 22,676 posts
  • Name:Kyler Hay
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Nash.Young, Farmar

Posted June 23, 2013 - 02:40 PM

Every team in the NBA should be against this. I dont even thing it will really help the clippers much because I really dont think Doc will do much with them but still its the principal of the thing. Teams should not be able to break rules like this. 

this is not the first time this has happen before, Although its Rare 

Posted Image

#284 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

• 22,676 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 02:44 PM

ESPN source says NBA does NOT intend to budge from Stern's stance & would see subsequent KG-to-Clips deal as connected & thus in violation

Posted Image

#285 The Big Fish

The Big Fish

AKA Michael Knight

• 5,999 posts
  • Name:Travis
  • Fan Since:My dad showed me "showtime".
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe to Shaq.

Posted June 23, 2013 - 02:49 PM

Ah so if a deal comes after this one they will see it as a violation. Got it. Well then that's strange on the Celtics part. What do you do with KG and Pierce? 

tysonsigv1ui2.jpg

REST IN PARADISE, Queen Fefe

I love you Ma!

October 26th, 2013

#286 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 3,984 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 02:52 PM

https://twitter.com/...936187861401601

Agreement in principle for Doc Rivers to coach Clippers comes with understanding of no subsequent exchange of players between teams.

Posted Image

#287 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 18,368 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 02:52 PM

I'm pretty sure you're allowed to provide compensation for coaches

It was the other players and deals surrounding it that were the issue
Posted Image

#288 David

David

Superstar

• 8,014 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 02:53 PM

Wow. Some Clippers fan on Twitter are saying that Stern is going to veto this to protect the Lakers. Like seriously...Shut the hell up

Edited by Admiral General Aladeen, June 23, 2013 - 02:53 PM.

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#289 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 3,984 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 02:56 PM

I'm pretty sure you're allowed to provide compensation for coaches

It was the other players and deals surrounding it that were the issue

Yeah, you can't deal players for coaches and the Clippers and Celtics were trying to get around that by doing it as 2 separate deals. That's what was vetoed. The league doesn't allow teams to get around trade rules like that.

Posted Image

#290 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 30,792 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted June 23, 2013 - 03:04 PM

SportsCenter ‏@SportsCenter 
Clippers agree in principle to a deal with Celtics for Doc Rivers, pending league approval, according to sources.

Bolded is the most important part.

So how would Stern allow this?  I'm in the boat with RD and some of the rest of you... what is going on here???

So our cross-town rival keeps getting better while we are staying put and being satisfied with Mr. Mike D'Antoni, aka the GOAT? Ok, cool.

If Dwight said "Get Phil Jackson( or Brian Shaw) and I'll return."  like Chris Paul just did for Doc Rivers what do you think the Lakers would do?   Clippers were already without a coach that has failed for 3 years in a row. 

besides if the Lakers were talking about getting Pierce and Garnett 90% of the fan base would be saying "NO!! WE NEED TO GET YOUNGER!"

heck there was a thread about Pierce possibly joining the Lakers, and a lot of people didn't want him, or wanted him as a bench player. 

A lot of it has to do with the fact that the Clippers are a younger team without the vet experience.

And we're a vet team without the younger pieces in some key areas(aside from the ones that were injured all last year)

Lakers need to focus on exactly what they're focusing on, keeping Phil as a consultant, waiting on Brian Shaw, and trying to pick up Athletic Wings like Webster, Wright, Brewer and keeping options for Pau on the table. 

Our coaching situation isn't decided until

A) Shaw decides whether or not he wants to be assistant here(if he gets a job or not) 
B) if Dwight asks for D'antoni gone to ensure a re-signing from him.

Once those two things are finished and determined we'll start making moves. 

The Clippers already have confirmation from CP3 that he's returning if they got Doc.  They can start building now.

We have to play the waiting game on Dwight and pick up athletic wings till then.    Outside of that the reality is we don't have many more other moves to make even if we wanted to.  Picking up Webster,Wiggins, Brewer etc and re-signing Dwight and what his terms and if they involve our coach are and what to do with BShaw are pretty much our only choices.

The Monta Ellis thing only has a chance of happening IF Dwight re-signs.  He's tied to a lot of what happens here and what players will come here.     So it's not like the Lakers are standing back and saying "we'll just let the competition get better while we twittle our thumbs" they HAVE to wait on Dwight's decision and his terms.  

Dwight isn't pulling a CP3 and saying "give me this and I'll re-sign" and it coming out in the media.   Dwight has decided to remain silent that's why all we hear from him is speculation whereas with CP3 it's more up front and active.   Cp3 doesn't need to be courted, and doesn't really want to be apparently, so he isn't leaving the Clippers on hold, he gave them an ultimatum.   They took it.

Dwight isn't doing that for us because he WANTS to be courted so we have to wait on him before we can commit to our moves. 

Till then we can't start building till we know if he's in or not.

The types of players we'd get and look at with Pau as our starting center is much different than what we'd look for if Dwight was our starting center. 

We're in sit and wait mode till we know what Dwight wants and who's willing to come(if we have Dwight). 

Would make no sense for us to make moves now and for Dwight to leave and then we don't have a team that would make sense unless we had a center like Dwight.  

It also wouldn't make sense to start building as if our center was Gasol and then Dwight signs back.  Know what I mean? 

Lakers also aren't gonna fire D'antoni unless

A) Dwight asks it 
and
B) Shaw is willing to coach here

C) we lose twice in the first week of the season

As Phil doesn't want to physically coach anymore which is why he's a consultant and why Mitch talks to Phil about Shaw and they are "waiting" for him.

If Shaw says "I'm staying in Indiana" then it's likely D'antoni remains cause other than Phil there's no one else that would turn us into a championship contender.  

Hollins is apparently a heavy favorite to coach the Nuggets now, and George Karl is a heavy favorite for the Grizzlies job, though they are also interested in Gentry.   So they're likely out. 

The Clippers made a great move in getting Doc though I'm not even sure how they just did that...

But one thing it will take time to adjust is the fact that it's going to slow down Blake's game and I don't think he can do what Doc would require of him, especially if KG and Pierce are going over to the Clippers and especially defensively(which Blake will need to compensate for Pierce and at times Garnett off switches) and I don't think he can.   Also with Terry and Courtney Lee it makes me wonder what happens with Bledsoe.  

But we'll see.

I've always liked Steve Blake.

#291 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

• 22,676 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 03:05 PM

Ah so if a deal comes after this one they will see it as a violation. Got it. Well then that's strange on the Celtics part. What do you do with KG and Pierce? 

The Cavaliers have offered two second round picks for Paul Pierce, Celtics have not accepted or declined deal yet.

Posted Image

#292 Michaelyumm

Michaelyumm

Quick & Easy

• 9,700 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:Adam Morrison

Posted June 23, 2013 - 03:10 PM

Deal done with RIvers

Clippers have

An amazing Head Coach

Young n talented team

Athletic team

Bench!!

and a superstar in Cp3

[expletive] everything!!!!!

#293 The Big Fish

The Big Fish

AKA Michael Knight

• 5,999 posts
  • Name:Travis
  • Fan Since:My dad showed me "showtime".
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe to Shaq.

Posted June 23, 2013 - 03:11 PM

The Cavaliers have offered two second round picks for Paul Pierce, Celtics have not accepted or declined deal yet.

For a 1st rounder I'd strongly consider it. Two 2nd's seems low as hell. 

tysonsigv1ui2.jpg

REST IN PARADISE, Queen Fefe

I love you Ma!

October 26th, 2013

#294 Majesty

Majesty

• 30,792 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 03:13 PM

So that would mean only KG would be going over to the Clippers if that's the case?

#295 leor_77

leor_77

Superstar

• 8,303 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 03:22 PM

Talk about embarrassing - we have the worst coach in the league and are sticking with him even with this rich coaching pool (i.e. Karl, Hollins, Shaw, formerly Rivers).

Paul is probably ready to re-sign on Monday...Rivers is a top 3 coach in the league, arguably top 2.

#296 Majesty

Majesty

• 30,792 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 03:24 PM

Talk about embarrassing - we have the worst coach in the league and are sticking with him even with this rich coaching pool (i.e. Karl, Hollins, Shaw, formerly Rivers).

Paul is probably ready to re-sign on Monday...Rivers is a top 3 coach in the league, arguably top 2.

Hollins is the favorite for the Nuggets job, Karl is the favorite for the Grizzlies job.

The Lakers are actively "waiting" on Shaw to see if he gets a job or not, and have Phil Jackson as a consultant with which they talk about Shaw and Mitch has been dropping hints about him.   And the worst coach in the league was just fired by the Clippers.

Edited by Majesty, June 23, 2013 - 03:25 PM.

#297 David

David

Superstar

• 8,014 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 03:42 PM

Remember when Jim Buss said we shouldn't expect major changes last season, and how high he was on Bynum? Mitch may he playing the same game with us by saying they are rolling with D'Antoni. If opportunity knocks, Lakers will answer. I hope I am right.

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

• 39,300 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 03:46 PM

I knew it wasn't over!

So our cross-town rival keeps getting better while we are staying put and being satisfied with Mr. Mike D'Antoni, aka the GOAT? Ok, cool.

We must accept mediocrity. Apparently the standards of this franchise have suddenly been lowered. We are being held at hostage and have no choice. Depressing as it sounds, accept it.

Can the Lakers give up draft picks for another team to take on D'Antoni?

I'm not even sure we have any.

david_stern_01.jpg

Wow. Some Clippers fan on Twitter are saying that Stern is going to veto this to protect the Lakers. Like seriously...Shut the hell up

How do we even need any protection right now when we're our own worst enemy?

what is going on???

Even Marvin Gaye is rolling over in his grave right now.

It truly is, although you could argue it's gotten' past that point now as for some, we've grown numb to it by now and just simply laugh.

yo.

#299 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 15,085 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted June 23, 2013 - 03:51 PM

Remember when Jim Buss said we shouldn't expect major changes last season, and how high he was on Bynum? Mitch may he playing the same game with us by saying they are rolling with D'Antoni. If opportunity knocks, Lakers will answer. I hope I am right.

If one assistant coach is hired which is said to be happening quite soon he's staying. They would never let him hire an assistant if they knew they might get rid of him.

#300 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 42,005 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted June 23, 2013 - 03:53 PM

I wish we would get rid of D'Antoni or that he'd at least have the common decency to resign.

Pau Gasol is TRASH

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users