Photo

Why do Laker fans want Brian Shaw as a coach?

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#21 CaliforniaSoul

CaliforniaSoul

Off The Bench

• 1,952 posts
  • Name:Mychal
  • Fav. Laker:James Worthy

Posted June 13, 2013 - 11:06 PM

D'Antoni is a proven loser. I'd rather give an unknown, smart basketball mind like Shaw a chance rather than stick with a known loser who has only won in the Italian League and values 3 pointers over post ups. What a joke.

Shaw was incorparating parts of the triangle into Indy's offense later in the year and Frank Vogel said it was a big reason why their offense improved so much in the final 41 games.

He has the X's and O's, he doesn't piss off his players(Like MDA and Mike Brown), he's close with the team leader, he runs an offense that would utilize our strengths rather than Metta bombing threes. I don't see why he wouldn't do fine here. He certainly wouldn't be completely useless like MDA and Mike Brown

#22 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,489 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted June 14, 2013 - 09:37 AM

How do you KNOW what B Shaw would do as far as player interaction?

#23 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,910 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted June 14, 2013 - 10:37 AM

Qualified and right for the job are totally different animals BasketballIQ.  Please explain to me how in the world both were "HIGHLY qualified" to be the Lakers coach, aside from simply being a head coach in the NBA previously.

Also, you calling myself and other fans the stupidest fan base out there (which by proxy includes yourself) isn't the wisest thing to say. 

#24 CaliforniaSoul

CaliforniaSoul

Off The Bench

• 1,952 posts

Posted June 14, 2013 - 10:49 AM

How do you KNOW what B Shaw would do as far as player interaction?

Because he's not a stubborn buffoon like MDA?

#25 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,951 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 14, 2013 - 12:18 PM

Memphis has a two big lineup...something Shaw can work well. How come they're not pursuing him?

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#26 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,910 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted June 14, 2013 - 12:26 PM

Jim Buss is trying his damnedest top avoid anything or anyone attached to the Phil Jackson theory of winning basketball to both his and the entire organization;s detriment.

It's an ego play, why they aren't even considering him, and it has been since Jim took over.

#27 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 41,118 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted June 14, 2013 - 12:27 PM

I do wonder why every other team in the league seems to be giving Shaw the shaft.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#28 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 14,274 posts
  • Fan Since:1986
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 14, 2013 - 12:29 PM

Because shaw was assistant coached under the greatest for years

Because shaw won titles with Kobe

Because Kobe and shaw are tight

Shaw is a good defensive coach

#29 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 41,118 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted June 14, 2013 - 12:35 PM

Because shaw was assistant coached under the greatest for years

Because shaw won titles with Kobe

Because Kobe and shaw are tight

Shaw is a good defensive coach

Everything said in this thread is true, so why the heck is every team in the NBA(not just the Lakers) giving the shaft to Shaw?

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#30 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,489 posts

Posted June 14, 2013 - 12:38 PM

Firstly, I never said stupidest. Maybe emotionally attached or even least logically which falls in the paradigm of emotion/logic, but nevertheless.

I think Phil Jackson is the GREATEST.

But his "guys", like Rambo and Shaw and Frank and whomever, have not proved a DAMN thing.

Mike Brown , at the time, had did with the Cavs ALL you can expect and was fired for reasons that STILL don't make sense, since LeBron left. Similar to SVG with Dwight. Those teams were NOT SUPERTEAMS, so if any thing they had BAD GMs.

What roster underperformed for D'Antoni?

Look at the rosters of his teams with bad records. Not one guy who could carry a team to the playoffs. Even Phil struggled to make the playoffs with Kobe and not much else, and Kobe was BY far the best player in the league at THAT time.

Amare and Nash are good, but that's not a team that should have beaten the GREAT SPurs, with not only a great 1 and 4 to combat the best players on the Sun, but at THAT time, Manu was a BEASt. And Parker is always underrated in that match-up.

#31 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,489 posts

Posted June 14, 2013 - 12:39 PM

I think Kurt Rambis' lack of success, hurts Shaw.

Shaw was like a Fisher-like( from a league standpoint). He is a great guy behind the scenes, as far as leadership. But something about his presence doesn't scream head coach.

#32 CaliforniaSoul

CaliforniaSoul

Off The Bench

• 1,952 posts

Posted June 14, 2013 - 12:43 PM

Yeah, judging Kurt Rambis based on the Minnesota Timberwolves league worst roster is so smart. Kurt had a terrible roster because of idiotic David Kahn missing on every player. Look how good Rick Adelman has done there, and he's a freaking hall of famer. Judging Kurt on that terrible team is ridiculous. No one would win there.

His presence doesn't scream head coach? Ask any player on the Indiana Pacers what he's brough to that team since he's been there. You guys know why he hasn't been hired? Because he doesn't want to take a job like Charlotte or Milwaukee, cus those are NO WIN situations. Why not wait for a team that has some upside?

D'Antoni apologists are pathetic. Change your name to nobasketballiq

Edited by -MagicKareemKobe-, June 14, 2013 - 12:50 PM.

#33 CaliforniaSoul

CaliforniaSoul

Off The Bench

• 1,952 posts

Posted June 14, 2013 - 12:47 PM

D'Antoni's rosters in Phoenix won 55 plus games every year. Don't give me that stuff that they weren't contenders. You know why they didn't win? Because they didn't play a godamn lick of defense and jacked threes all game, stuff that D'Antoni WANTED them to do, even in the playoffs where that garbage doesn't work.

Comparing MDA to other coaches that haven't won a title like Jerry Sloan or SVG or George Karl is idiotic. Jerry Sloan never had a losing season and lost twice to MJ's Bulls, George Karl has a winning record in 19 of the last 20 years, SVG has a winning record everywhere he went. Can MDA claim ANY of those accomplishments? That's the difference between MDA and other coaches that haven't won a title. MDA is a proven LOSER. Fired in Denver, quit in Phoenix, quit in New York, couldn't get a team with Dwight, Pau and Kobe higher than a 7 seed. Lost 14 of his last 15 playoff games. New York got immediately better when he left. You can be his apologist all you want, but dude has lost everywhere he went and rubbed players the wrong way everywhere he's went. Proof is in the pudding, why don't you just try it?

#34 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,489 posts

Posted June 14, 2013 - 12:48 PM

So, every GM is as dumb as me. Why wasn't he hired? Not by our franchise but by any?

#35 CaliforniaSoul

CaliforniaSoul

Off The Bench

• 1,952 posts

Posted June 14, 2013 - 12:52 PM

So, every GM is as dumb as me. Why wasn't he hired? Not by our franchise but by any?

He's turned down multiple jobs. The job was his in Charlotte and he turned it down. Why go to a no win situation when you can wait for a good one? He has a pretty damn good gig in Indy right now. I wouldn't leave that to coach somewhere like Milwaukee or Charlotte. Would you?

#36 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,489 posts

Posted June 14, 2013 - 12:54 PM

D'Antoni's rosters in Phoenix won 55 plus games every year. Don't give me that stuff that they weren't contenders. You know why they didn't win? Because they didn't play a godamn lick of defense and jacked threes all game, stuff that D'Antoni WANTED them to do, even in the playoffs where that garbage doesn't work.

Comparing MDA to other coaches that haven't won a title like Jerry Sloan or SVG or George Karl is idiotic. Jerry Sloan never had a losing season and lost twice to MJ's Bulls, George Karl has a winning record in 19 of the last 20 years, SVG has a winning record everywhere he went. Can MDA claim ANY of those accomplishments? That's the difference between MDA and other coaches that haven't won a title. MDA is a proven LOSER. Fired in Denver, quit in Phoenix, quit in New York, couldn't get a team with Dwight, Pau and Kobe higher than a 7 seed. Lost 14 of his last 15 playoff games. New York got immediately better when he left. You can be his apologist all you want, but dude has lost everywhere he went and rubbed players the wrong way everywhere he's went. Proof is in the pudding, why don't you just try it?

Okay. but as good as that roster was, like SO many other rosters that have ALMOST enough, they came up short. Like The Kings, the Pacers, the Knicks, . But whatever. 

I'm not as passionate about replacing D'Antoni. It's not about anything else.

We pla

y

ed bad for a few reasons, and there is blame to pass around.

INJURIES are first and foremost.

But BEYOND all that.

The league is historically moved in this manner.

Magic-Bird ran the league, Isiah snuck in, Jordan ran the league, hakeem got some. SHq-Kobe-Duncan ran the league, couple of teams snuck in.

LeBron is runnng the league. The guy who coaches THOSE guys, WIN the title, and Howard was NOT one of thos guys for most of the year. By the time he was, it was too late to do anything but make the playoffs, because Nash/Kobe ran out of gas.

D'Antoni CAN be blamed for those injuries, but he can't be blamed for Pau and Dwight's or Nash's broken leg which is what got us at 17-25.

#37 CaliforniaSoul

CaliforniaSoul

Off The Bench

• 1,952 posts

Posted June 14, 2013 - 12:54 PM

This logic is stupid. Why hasn't JVG been hired? Why hasn't SVG been hired? Why hasn't Sloan been re-hired?

It's funny how no one says anything about those guys waiting for the right job but when it's Shaw it's a big deal.

#38 CaliforniaSoul

CaliforniaSoul

Off The Bench

• 1,952 posts

Posted June 14, 2013 - 12:56 PM

If Vinny Del Taco could get 2 head coaching jobs and make the playoffs, then Shaw deserves a shot. Period. No doubt in my mind he could do better than a lot of coaches currently in the league if he had the right situation(AKA here)

#39 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,489 posts

Posted June 14, 2013 - 12:57 PM

NY went from a first round team to second round, and that was in part to changes in the roster. But whatever. It's all about timing and though I don't think D'Antoni is some type of great coach, he knows more basketball than people HERE are giving him credit for, and they ignore the injuries because they HAVE to direct anger somewhere,

it's kind of childish, to not use your rational thinking, especially this far after the season has ended.

I remember about 3 games, where I felt like D'Antoni could have made roster decisions to save the game, but overall, I thought if Dwight would not have hurt his  labrum, we would have had a much different year.

Hill and Pau was out at the same time, that Dwight tore his labrum, and we went from a sinking ship, to a sunken one.

#40 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,489 posts

Posted June 14, 2013 - 01:00 PM

He's turned down multiple jobs. The job was his in Charlotte and he turned it down. Why go to a no win situation when you can wait for a good one? He has a pretty damn good gig in Indy right now. I wouldn't leave that to coach somewhere like Milwaukee or Charlotte. Would you?

Depends on the money, I think Charlotte can go no where but up, and the cost of living. I would consider it sure. From no resume, to Lakers... Not at that time. Now he has more time, he will likely be evaluated differently. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users