Photo

Why do Laker fans want Brian Shaw as a coach?

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,951 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 13, 2013 - 02:27 PM

Is it out of disdain for Brown/D'Antoni or do Laker fans genuinely want him and believe hes the right coach for this team that has playoff/champoinship aspirations?

I dont get this fascination for Brian Shaw at all by Laker fans. He played a part as an assistant coach in our championship runs. He wasn't an integral reason. Hes not like Thibs (Assistant in BOS & now HC in CHI) who brings a certain philosophy that he has an unreal command/knowledge of

Shaw has Phil's approval I suppose but show me some thing to want him. Maybe coach a few other teams and then we'll see, right now hes not a playoff/championship level coach. He's been interviewed by at least 6 teams in the last 3 years and still hasn't been hired, maybe they feel the same way I do.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

• 40,604 posts

Posted June 13, 2013 - 02:32 PM

Whether people are honest enough to admit it or not, a lot of it has to do with loyalty & gratitude.

Personally, I would take anyone from Phil, Doc Rivers, Jerry Sloan, Lionel Hollins, Karl, JVG, & maybe a few more I can't remember right now over him. It sounds messed up perhaps, but hey, at least these guys are proven already without a doubt at the healm.

That being said, certainly he does deserve a head coaching job already somewhere, but for my Lakers, I just think we can't afford to take any kind of risks whatsoever. We've gotta' go with the surest & surer candidates possible. The franchise that we are and have been over history, that's just the way we're supposed to role.

yo.

#3 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,246 posts

Posted June 13, 2013 - 02:38 PM

Many people think that since Shaw has been under Phil Jackson for so many years, he can carry some success with him.  I wanted him because of his close relationship with Kobe, and I am not saying he will be like Phil Jackson, but I think he can at least be a descent coach who can make adjustments. With the players we have right now, I believe he can tweak the triangle system a little bit to incorporate all of our players to their strengths. Another thing I like about him is that he is young, which can hopefully bring a different type of culture or style in the locker room. Just my 2 cents.

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

• 40,604 posts

Posted June 13, 2013 - 02:43 PM

I think he can at least be a descent coach.

Why settle though? I mean this isn't just any ordinary team we're talking about here. Let's be real. This is the Los Angeles Lakers. We try (usually) to hold the highest standards of winning consistently year after year & decade after decade. That's what we're supposed to be about. Shamefully, we've obviously gotten' away from that recently though, but there's always time & opportunity to make things right once more.

yo.

#5 Jackson

Jackson

All-Star

• 6,517 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted June 13, 2013 - 02:56 PM

Kobe said so, that's why.

#6 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Kimagure Orange Road

• 9,042 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Grant

Posted June 13, 2013 - 03:02 PM

I'd prefer Brian Shaw for his close relationship with Kobe Bryant alone.

He has no ego (MDA) that will get in the way.

He's been developing Paul George quite nicely.

"You watch anime?"

- "Yeah, I just got into it! Just recently, I just started watching Attack on Ti-"

"Get away from me, pleb."

#7 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,910 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted June 13, 2013 - 03:43 PM

POPULAR

* Brings back the system this team was built for and is a proven winner.

* He brings enough championship experience on and off the court to make people listen to his viewpoint.

* Has far more experience coaching in pressure situations, regular season and in playoff situations than most coaches o;ut there.

* He bring provenance to the team, where Brown, D;Antoni and most other don't .  If he tells Kobe he needs to sit, Kobe is much more likely to listen.

* He has learned how to manage egos from one of the masters of the trade.

* He knows what it takes to win in this market and with the pressure of a major market.

* Works well with the press and has learned how to keep the press out of the Lakers' / locker room's business.

* He forges confidence in younger players along with having enough oomph behind him to make veteran players want to play for him and listen.

Need more?

P.S. - Can't afford to take risks?  You mean like they did by hiring both Brown and D'Antoni?  Look if you want to consider Brian Shaw a risk, that can be debated, but I fail to see how hiring a proven guy like Shaw is a worse risk than staying with D'Antoni.  Keep the status quo or hire another coach that hasn't been to the championship on two levels in this exact market and you risk future seasons, your chances of re-signing Dwight and/or getting free agents down the road.

#8 lakers1o1

lakers1o1

Off The Bench

• 2,564 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted June 13, 2013 - 03:46 PM

I think most of it deals with the fact that everyone just wants to see someone besides D'Antoni.

I am on of those people haha.

kb24_zpscc8c9e5b.jpg

#9 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,246 posts

Posted June 13, 2013 - 03:59 PM

From the LA Times

Naturally Jackson wanted Brian Shaw to take over for him after he left the Lakers in 2011 but the team went with Mike Brown, and then, after a brief flirtation with Jackson, chose Mike D'Antoni.

"I sat with [Lakers General Manager] Mitch Kupchak a week ago and even he couldn't find out for me," said Jackson of Shaw.  "It had something to do with [Lakers owner/executive] Jimmy Buss, I think."

Jackson is hopeful that his protégé ends up in the right situation as head coach.

"I think that Brian might have an opportunity but I just want it to be the right one for him," said Jackson.  "The last conversation I had, I told him to make sure he doesn't end up in a no-win situation like Charlotte."

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#10 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,913 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted June 13, 2013 - 04:04 PM

because he learned from the greatest.....

"No Justice. No Peace. Jail the Racist Police!"

• 40,604 posts

Posted June 13, 2013 - 04:16 PM

Look if you want to consider Brian Shaw a risk, that can be debated, but I fail to see how hiring a proven guy like Shaw is a worse risk than staying with D'Antoni. 

Again though, that kind of mentality is like settling. Would he be an upgrade over MDA & Brown? Absolutely. Don't think hardly anyone would debate that, if at all, but all I'm saying is there are numerous other candidates that are far surer things and if the situation presented itself, we might as well try & make the best decision possible. Shaw is certainly on the list, but in my opinion, below at least four to six guys.

yo.

#12 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,048 posts
  • Fan Since:2004

Posted June 13, 2013 - 04:44 PM

He knows the triangle offense inside and out which would work for the team. And he is good at managing egos. In 2004 he's the one who stepped in between Kobe and Shaq numerous times. 

#13 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,951 posts

Posted June 13, 2013 - 06:26 PM

He was never a huge reason we won. Hes not Thibodeaux who had specific schemes and strategies that were tremendous defensively. Shaw played a part he was never an integral part of why we won. We all saw what happend when Kurt Rambis tried to coach outside of LA. It didnt work

* He brings enough championship experience on and off the court to make people listen to his viewpoint.

Ok I agree with you here. But my biggest gripe is X's and O's does he have enough know hows to help us play at an elite level given the tools? Im gonna lean towards No for now. He has potential to be a great head coach but hes just not there right now as of 2013 thats my point.

* Has far more experience coaching in pressure situations, regular season and in playoff situations than most coaches o;ut there.

Hes never been a head coach as a Los Angeles Laker. Its one thing to be a head coach its another to be one of the Lakers with Kobe, Gasol, Nash and Howard.

* He bring provenance to the team, where Brown, D;Antoni and most other don't .  If he tells Kobe he needs to sit, Kobe is much more likely to listen.

IF he cant help David West/Roy Hibbert succeed vs the weak Heat frontline how can he help the Laker bigs?

Hibbert/West play well together, they can both post up, they have better midrange/outside games than our bigs and yet both West/Hibbert have been unable to out play Miami's much smaller frontline (And Bosh didnt even play the last 4 games of the 2012 series vs IND).

The Pacers had much better 3 point shooters  and PGs over the last 2 years than the Lakers...Granger, Paul George, George Hill, Stephenson and yet they couldnt' figure out how to make the bigs work. Indy had the PGs/ballhandling in Darren Collison, George Hill and DJ Augustin, the 3 point shooters in Danny Granger, Paul George to alleviate the congestion inside...and yet they still couldn't outplay the Heat frontline for 2 consecutive playoff series.

The triangle offense wizardy, the ability to make post players work this is what Shaw brings and known for, if hes unable to help West/Hibbert figure it out  while being given adequate outside help and could not succeed in playoffs vs a much weaker Heat frontline (Which had Bosh missing in 2012 last 4gms mind you!), how can we trust him with Gasol and Howard vs a much tougher frontlines out here in the West?

Alright I'll give you this one

* He knows what it takes to win in this market and with the pressure of a major market.

He has knowledge of the pressure but does that translate to helping us succeed? Im not sure

* Works well with the press and has learned how to keep the press out of the Lakers' / locker room's business.

Right and the press are so interested in the Pacers that Shaw does a great job keeping them out Lol nobody gives a rip about Indy

* He forges confidence in younger players along with having enough oomph behind him to make veteran players want to play for him and listen.

Alright I give you this one. He is passionate about what he does

For me it basically comes down to this. Does Shaw have the flexibility and X's and O's to help us win out West? The answer is no. He has the personality to get respect, he knows the history of Lakers and takes being part of an organization with pride but if it doesnt help our chances with the know how to make adjustments, then I dont want him.

Edited by MDI, June 13, 2013 - 06:38 PM.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#14 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,198 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 13, 2013 - 06:57 PM

Need more?

P.S. - Can't afford to take risks?  You mean like they did by hiring both Brown and D'Antoni?  Look if you want to consider Brian Shaw a risk, that can be debated, but I fail to see how hiring a proven guy like Shaw is a worse risk than staying with D'Antoni.  Keep the status quo or hire another coach that hasn't been to the championship on two levels in this exact market and you risk future seasons, your chances of re-signing Dwight and/or getting free agents down the road.

/thread

Pau Gasol is GONE

#15 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,490 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted June 13, 2013 - 07:11 PM

Brown and D'Antoni were HIGHLY qualified for the job.

Talk about a PROVEN LOSER-

Adelman has been that. Jerry Sloan has been that. George Karl has been that.

At least Mike Brown and D'Antoni are from this DECADE, where they were considered some of the BEST AROUND.

It's funny how the general media will say : LeBron did not have enough help.

And then also say, Mike Brown could have done a better job there.

D'Antoni was coaching a team that PEOPLE thought would NOT work, with 2 offensive minded players as the star and one who was oft injured.

This season, he had Kobe, a guy NAMED Dwight Howard, but NOT the Dwight we knew.

Was Pau good?

Was Nash healthy?

When Nash came back, didn't we lose Pau and Howard for a time?

Sometimes I feel like we have the least knowledgable fan base out there. Too emotional, and ill-rational. 

#16 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,198 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted June 13, 2013 - 07:51 PM

Oh look! It's the guy who likes to lash out at every poster on TLN! 

Your opinion is not the Gospel 

Pau Gasol is GONE

#17 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 5,020 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted June 13, 2013 - 07:58 PM

Is it out of disdain for Brown/D'Antoni or do Laker fans genuinely want him and believe hes the right coach for this team that has playoff/champoinship aspirations?

I dont get this fascination for Brian Shaw at all by Laker fans. He played a part as an assistant coach in our championship runs. He wasn't an integral reason. Hes not like Thibs (Assistant in BOS & now HC in CHI) who brings a certain philosophy that he has an unreal command/knowledge of

Shaw has Phil's approval I suppose but show me some thing to want him. Maybe coach a few other teams and then we'll see, right now hes not a playoff/championship level coach. He's been interviewed by at least 6 teams in the last 3 years and still hasn't been hired, maybe they feel the same way I do.

Shaw have been Phil's assistant for many years and he's had a lot of success in Indiana who had the leagues best defense and he plays a style of basketball that fits our personnel. Also, most of the players really respect him. 

#18 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,490 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted June 13, 2013 - 08:40 PM

Oh look! It's the guy who likes to lash out at every poster on TLN! 

Your opinion is not the Gospel 

Lol. What's your deal?

I don't "lash", I just disagree with a certain type of banter involving sports.

It's basically"ESPN Sport opinions". People who watch Sportscenter and not games. When you do this, there are certain pockets of history that are hidden, and when assessing a situation, you are neglecting vital aspects.

But, I think D'Antoni deserve a fair chance on THIS team. 

Phil wasn't hired, and if it was Jim Buss personally not liking Phil, then I have seen that before from great owners in the past.

So it's not about lashing out. It's just about enlightened the world with the TRUTH about sports(joke).

#19 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,852 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted June 13, 2013 - 08:57 PM

Kobe also cosigned the hell out of MDA...

Kobe said so, that's why.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#20 CaliforniaSoul

CaliforniaSoul

Off The Bench

• 1,956 posts
  • Name:Mychal
  • Fav. Laker:James Worthy

Posted June 13, 2013 - 11:02 PM

Brown and D'Antoni were HIGHLY qualified for the job.

Talk about a PROVEN LOSER-
Adelman has been that. Jerry Sloan has been that. George Karl has been that.

At least Mike Brown and D'Antoni are from this DECADE, where they were considered some of the BEST AROUND.

It's funny how the general media will say : LeBron did not have enough help.

And then also say, Mike Brown could have done a better job there.

D'Antoni was coaching a team that PEOPLE thought would NOT work, with 2 offensive minded players as the star and one who was oft injured.

This season, he had Kobe, a guy NAMED Dwight Howard, but NOT the Dwight we knew.

Was Pau good?

Was Nash healthy?

When Nash came back, didn't we lose Pau and Howard for a time?

Sometimes I feel like we have the least knowledgable fan base out there. Too emotional, and ill-rational.

Mike D'Antoni and Mike Brown were considered the best around in this decade? Are you on drugs?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users