Photo

Rodman: LeBron would be "average" in '90s NBA

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Jackson

Jackson

All-Star

• 5,707 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted June 07, 2013 - 11:31 AM

Dennis Rodman says LeBron James would be "average" if he played in the 1990s, and insists James' Miami Heat would be no match for his old Chicago Bulls team.

"It's really not a comparison. If LeBron was playing in the late '80s and early '90s, he would be just an average player," Rodman said Friday on "The Dan Patrick Show." "To do what Michael has done ... what he did was more charisma, there was more articulating and stuff like that. LeBron is more like ... there's no flash to his game. He's a great player, don't get me wrong, he's a hell of player, I'll give him that. But to me Scottie (Pippen) and Michael are probably the two best one-two punches I've ever seen."

MJ's Top 50 Moments grant_g_jordan_cr_134.jpg

Michael Jordan's 50 Greatest Moments Gallery photo.png

Rodman, who won three NBA titles with Jordan's Bulls from 1996-98, said a 28-year-old Jordan would average at least 40 points a game in today's NBA.

"I'm just sick and tired of people comparing (James) to Michael Jordan," Rodman said. "It's a whole different era, man."

Rodman said Jordan thrived despite playing in a more physical era in the NBA.

"LeBron came into the age of the game at a perfect time. Michael came into the game when back then you could hit people, knock him down, shoot a free throw and get back up," Rodman said. "And LeBron can't do that. All they do today is (complain) about a foul. All they do is (complain)."

ESPN LINK

Rodman tells it as it is.

Edited by Jackson, June 07, 2013 - 11:31 AM.

#2 Lakersfan1211

Lakersfan1211

Legend

• 17,752 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 07, 2013 - 11:46 AM

For sure, NBA in the 90's wasnt soft like NBA in this era, LeBron probably would be crying every call.

#3 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,150 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted June 07, 2013 - 12:07 PM

Lebron can't use his flob technique as much in the 80's and 90's.  Charles Oakley will laugh at King James and make him cry.    

but then again, Vlade did made it an art form in the 90's so who knows.  I just dont like comparison anymore. Cant we just not compare and let it be? 

Edited by epicwolf, June 07, 2013 - 12:09 PM.

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#4 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 3,002 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted June 07, 2013 - 12:11 PM

Well considering that his current bread and butter of slashing and driving to the basket moves have him as an elite player in the current NBA, something I doubt he would even half as effectively with bigs like Hakeem, Robinson, young Shaq, prime Mutombo, Ewing and even Mourning. And then you still have players like Barkley, Payton, McMillan, Rodman, Jordan obviously, even the aged Bad Boy Pistons, Pippen (amnesia) and well frankly it is a pretty large list. And of course the physicality cannot be overstated enough.

Lebron and his team struggled against Hibbert.....made commentators half jokingly think we was the second coming of Wilt, or why the 76ers would roll the dice on Bynum, or Dwight having his way when everyone knows he has limited skills at best. Everyone knows this age is for the taking of any big.

To put it in perspective, nowadays players are applauded for 'trying' to play defense, when in the past it was expected to carry your own weight. The zone didn't even exist in the NBA prior to the 00's.

Edited by Ven21, June 07, 2013 - 12:14 PM.

#5 Jackson

Jackson

All-Star

• 5,707 posts

Posted June 07, 2013 - 12:21 PM

Well considering that his current bread and butter of slashing and driving to the basket moves have him as an elite player in the current NBA, something I doubt he would even half as effectively with bigs like Hakeem, Robinson, young Shaq, prime Mutombo, Ewing and even Mourning. And then you still have players like Barkley, Payton, McMillan, Rodman, Jordan obviously, even the aged Bad Boy Pistons, Pippen (amnesia) and well frankly it is a pretty large list. And of course the physicality cannot be overstated enough.

Lebron and his team struggled against Hibbert.....made commentators half jokingly think we was the second coming of Wilt, or why the 76ers would roll the dice on Bynum, or Dwight having his way when everyone knows he has limited skills at best. Everyone knows this age is for the taking of any big.

To put it in perspective, nowadays players are applauded for 'trying' to play defense, when in the past it was expected to carry your own weight. The zone didn't even exist in the NBA prior to the 00's.

Word.

I hate it when commentators say "OH WOW! VERY GOOD DEFENSE BY SO AND SO!!!" It's so sad how when a player plays defense everyone starts complimenting him. All players should be expected to play defense and hold their own against the player they've been matched up with.

#6 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,150 posts

Posted June 07, 2013 - 12:21 PM

The zone was created mainly because to stop Shaq.  Shaq was so dominant the NBA had to put that stupid zone thing in affective just to slow shaq down.  Slowed him down alright. 3 peat in your face!

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#7 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,150 posts

Posted June 07, 2013 - 12:22 PM

Word.

I hate it when commentators say "OH WOW! VERY GOOD DEFENSE BY SO AND SO!!!" It's so sad how when a player plays defense everyone starts complimenting him. All players should be expected to play defense and hold their own against the player they've been matched up with.

sadly don't expect any good defensive from the Lakers this up coming season thanks to MDA.  

#8 UNLABORED FLAWLESS

UNLABORED FLAWLESS

Rookie

• 582 posts
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted June 07, 2013 - 01:09 PM

How would kobe do

because he complains quite a bit too but 

he does get fouled a lot on his jumpshots if you look at the footage 

#9 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,035 posts
  • Fan Since:2004

Posted June 07, 2013 - 01:10 PM

I mean he wouldn't be average, his averages might be higher because of a lack of zone defense. 

#10 UNLABORED FLAWLESS

UNLABORED FLAWLESS

Rookie

• 582 posts

Posted June 07, 2013 - 01:18 PM

I mean he wouldn't be average, his averages might be higher because of a lack of zone defense. 

I think Kobes averages would be about the same honestly due to kobes stubborn style of game which Phil Jackson highlighted in his kobe  vs Jordan comparison 

#11 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 3,002 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted June 07, 2013 - 01:37 PM

Man to man coverage is hell with a proper defender on you, you need great conditioning, and if you can't set up proper and timed screens forget about it. Zone is lackluster because it isn't aggressive, if one zone collapeses they all trail, and a decent jump shot puts alot of stress on it. Lebron doesn't fare well against one to one when matched up against a built defender like him, hence why a young player like Kawhi just needs to stay in front of him and body him up.

In toda's NBA a players that is as big and athletic like Lebron and quick is a mismatch for any player that no one can deny. But you don't think other sturdier players in the 90's would fare much better than today's undersized NBA. He certainly wouldn't be posting anybody up.

Edited by Ven21, June 07, 2013 - 01:39 PM.

#12 Jay Cee

Jay Cee

• 1,565 posts
  • Name:James
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The Mamba

Posted June 07, 2013 - 01:49 PM

Lebron wouldn't be average, he'd be great, just like he is now. Gimme a damn break, he's 6'8 265, dude is a tank and runs like a racecar. He'd probably be the fastest guy on the court if you put him in the game 30 years ago. The 90s was a physical era, but not nearly as physical as some people say it is. People romanticize the physicality of the 90s, and it's understandable, it was a great time for basketball. But Lebron would be just fine if he played back then.

Not as good as Jordan of course, but he could hold his own in the league and would still be a superstar.

#13 Jackson

Jackson

All-Star

• 5,707 posts

Posted June 07, 2013 - 01:55 PM

Lebron wouldn't be average, he'd be great, just like he is now. Gimme a damn break, he's 6'8 265, dude is a tank and runs like a racecar. He'd probably be the fastest guy on the court if you put him in the game 30 years ago. The 90s was a physical era, but not nearly as physical as some people say it is. People romanticize the physicality of the 90s, and it's understandable, it was a great time for basketball. But Lebron would be just fine if he played back then.

Not as good as Jordan of course, but he could hold his own in the league and would still be a superstar.

Actually LeBron is mentally weak. Imagine if this happened to him:

He would start crying. Mentally he wouldn't even be able to handle it. He would collapse and that would kill his game. Physically he's a beast, yes. But Kobe shut him down and he's smaller than LeBron. Imagine the 90's dominant players.

Edited by Jackson, June 07, 2013 - 01:57 PM.

#14 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,096 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 07, 2013 - 02:05 PM

I think players are a little more skilled nowadays (at the 1,2,3 positions anyway) but the league is soft as [expletive]. Hard fouls are flagrant fouls, top players are aspiring actors, referees are auditioning for the WWE, the league will fine/suspend you for practically anything, a lot of the big men have laughable low post games. Damn, I'm starting to hate this game.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#15 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 37,119 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted June 07, 2013 - 02:11 PM

of course that Bulls team would beat the Heat. 

Michael would eviscerate Wade or LeBron in a one on one scenario. 

He already knows how to stop LeBron's offense, and Pippen probably would too and would give him fits too.

if Anderson tried any of the tough man BS with Rodman he'd wind up in the hospital, and Bosh...let's not go there.

They have an answer offensively and defensively at each position the Heat are best at.  People actually knew how to defend the post back then too.

So Rodman is pretty spot on that the Bulls team back then would beat the Heat.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#16 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 37,119 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted June 07, 2013 - 02:17 PM

The allowance of zone has a lot to do with that.

Once zone defense was allowed in the NBA the number of one on one defenders started dropping because you no longer had to train it as extensively.

Back when it wasn't allowed it was taught day in and day out how to play defense, how to scout people for defense, when to give when not to give, how to shrink the floor how to do this and that.  All that basic stuff that would make people good defenders. 

it is more frustrating for a scorer to play against a zone, but because of the zone's allowance many people don't learn the basics of defense nor do they practice trying to be a good defender and would rather depend on athleticism instead of training it extensively, because all you need now is some chasedown or momentum blocks to be called a great defender.   When's the last time a wing player won defensive player of the year?  Exactly.  Paul George SHOULD have won it this year, him or Hibbert, but the point stands. 

Even those that talk about how great of a defender LeBron is, the guy is consistently beaten off the first step, he's not a "game changer" defensively that can shut down the other teams best player, watching Paul George and even Leonard consistently beat LeBron off the first step was shocking to me.

Edited by Majesty, June 07, 2013 - 02:20 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#17 TronVader

TronVader

Rookie

• 279 posts
  • Name:Tron
  • Fan Since:Conception
  • Fav. Laker:KB24

Posted June 08, 2013 - 12:33 PM

Bully Ball doesn't work when you can hand-check, 'nuff said

Imagine an strange child who's punching you and your expecting to beat that if you will get serious

Wut

#18 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,921 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted June 08, 2013 - 05:08 PM

While I agree the NBA has gotten exponentially weaker and softer, you can never compare players of eras - its an impossibility and never holds any water.

#19 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,130 posts

Posted June 08, 2013 - 06:13 PM

He's 50% right and 50% wrong

Lebron would have been fine in any era

But he's right, the bulls would have killed the heat. Pippen, Jordan, Harper on defense. Rodman and grant on bosh ruining him

They couldn't compete

Shaq and Kobe would have had a better chance against the bulls, that's a better discussion
Posted Image

#20 LakersFanatic

LakersFanatic

Rookie

• 917 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 09, 2013 - 07:37 AM

He's 50% right and 50% wrong

Lebron would have been fine in any era

But he's right, the bulls would have killed the heat. Pippen, Jordan, Harper on defense. Rodman and grant on bosh ruining him

They couldn't compete

Shaq and Kobe would have had a better chance against the bulls, that's a better discussion

What i would give to watch that game!!
Drooolllllll

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users