• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• 5,652 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Yobe Bryant

Posted June 06, 2013 - 01:34 PM

George Karl is a great coach. Not a championship coach, but a great one nonetheless.

One of the many people in NBA history who would probably have a title had it not been for Michael Jordan.

With that said, he was not the problem in Denver.
iyjywo.jpg

#22 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,945 posts
  • Fan Since:1986
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 06, 2013 - 02:19 PM

George karl is a fantastic coach...

very underrated...

not sure if hes a good fit with the lakers...

just because he is a 1000's better then dantonie, doesn't mean he is the right fit...

I think Karl would command the respect of the players, and have the balls to sit kobe down for a couple mins a night...

#23 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 38,956 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted June 06, 2013 - 04:33 PM

Yes, better than MDA, but we don't want to simply be a middle of the road team. You don't just settle for Karl because he's better than D'Antoni (not saying much). That's pretty much the same mistake we did when we fired Brown.

yeah but that's a little unfair don't you think? 

I mean in the last what..20 years?  The only coaches that have won championships in the last 20 years have been Popovich and Phil jackson with one or two year breaks and one timers in between.   If we go by the standard that he's been coaching for 20 years and only been to the finals once let's look at who he went up against.  From 91 till 2002 Phil Jackson was the monopoly on winning with one or two year breaks in between and then it's Popovich.  And the rest of the time has been one or two year successes. 

And then in between it was Popovich.  Then it was Phil Jackson again.   The rest of them have been one or two time things. Doc Rivers, Rick Carslile, Larry Brown.    But there's a very good reason why not a lot of coaches have multiple finals appearances in the last 20 years.

I think that kind of skews it against George Karl in that regard, a LOT of really good coaches haven't made the finals more than once or twice in the last 20 years for that reason. It's been a monopoly of Phil Jackson and Popovich with one year successes or two year runs in between.   So it's understandable.

He may be a middle of the pack coach who is very good at doing a lot with very little but to me it's a little harsh to hold not getting to the finals often against him when you look at the fact that a lot of coaches haven't made it in the last 20 years cause of Pop and Phil.

Edited by Majesty, June 06, 2013 - 04:57 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#24 lakers1o1

lakers1o1

Off The Bench

• 2,542 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted June 06, 2013 - 05:53 PM

George Karl is the ideal coach for the Clippers and is obviously a better coach than MDA.

He would bring alot to the table for the Clippers being that he did coach Carmelo and AI when both coexisted with one another.

I think the Lakers need someone like Karl though.. he encourages and emphasizes effort the entire 48 minutes of the game.

Thats been something the Lakers have been struggling to do even during the Jackson/Kobe/Pau eras.

kb24_zpscc8c9e5b.jpg

#25 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,425 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted June 06, 2013 - 07:54 PM

Now there's 6 coaches out there I would love to have in place of D'Antoni.

Phil Jakcson

Brian Shaw

Byron Scott

Lionel Hollins

George Karl

Jerry Sloan

What is Denver thinking?  A simply terrible decision on their part.

#26 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,138 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 06, 2013 - 08:05 PM

Phil Jakcson

Brian Shaw

Byron Scott

Lionel Hollins

George Karl

Jerry Sloan

Only 6?

Pau Gasol is GONE

#27 HQLLYWQQD

HQLLYWQQD

Rookie

• 411 posts
  • Name:Scott
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:James Worthy

Posted June 06, 2013 - 08:06 PM

Phil Jakcson
Brian Shaw
Byron Scott
Lionel Hollins
George Karl
Jerry Sloan

What is Denver thinking?  A simply terrible decision on their part.

I agree Fido..

Yet it still makes me a little sad knowing that..

#28 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 3,014 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted June 06, 2013 - 08:41 PM

No support for the Gundy family?

#29 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,826 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 06, 2013 - 08:51 PM

yeah but that's a little unfair don't you think? 

I mean in the last what..20 years?  The only coaches that have won championships in the last 20 years have been Popovich and Phil jackson with one or two year breaks and one timers in between.   If we go by the standard that he's been coaching for 20 years and only been to the finals once let's look at who he went up against.  From 91 till 2002 Phil Jackson was the monopoly on winning with one or two year breaks in between and then it's Popovich.  And the rest of the time has been one or two year successes. 

And then in between it was Popovich.  Then it was Phil Jackson again.   The rest of them have been one or two time things. Doc Rivers, Rick Carslile, Larry Brown.    But there's a very good reason why not a lot of coaches have multiple finals appearances in the last 20 years.

I think that kind of skews it against George Karl in that regard, a LOT of really good coaches haven't made the finals more than once or twice in the last 20 years for that reason. It's been a monopoly of Phil Jackson and Popovich with one year successes or two year runs in between.   So it's understandable.

He may be a middle of the pack coach who is very good at doing a lot with very little but to me it's a little harsh to hold not getting to the finals often against him when you look at the fact that a lot of coaches haven't made it in the last 20 years cause of Pop and Phil.

Not unfair at all. George Karl consistently panics in the playoffs when his teams go down, he's terrible at keeping morale up, and his teams often just get ran over by the opposition in the postseason because he doesn't make prompt adjustments. Nuggets fans right now (for the most part) aren't angry over this firing at all, they honestly should have done this a long while ago.

He choked this year as the 3rd seed, had an underachieving Nuggets team for many years until that '09 run where Melo and Billups just went off, and his Sonics teams from the 90s were incredible underachievers. In '94, the Sonics were the first 1st seed to be ousted by an 8th seed when the Sonics fell to the Denver Nuggets. That team had no star players, no one particularly great on the offensive end, and they still lost despite having the clearly superior team. In '95, as the 2nd seed, the Sonics were taken out by a transitional Lakers team pre-Kobe/Shaq and post-Magic. A completely mediocre team. They smacked them 3-1 in the first round. It wasn't just Phil Jackson and Popovich making his teams fall, his teams were losing to everyone.

He has consistently lost in the first round time and time again. Just look at this:

SEA

'91-92: Lost West Conf 2nd Rd

'92-93: Lost West Conf Finals

'93-94: Lost West Conf 1st Rd

'94-95: Lost West Conf 1st Rd

'95-96: Lost NBA Finals

'96-97: Lost West Conf 2nd Rd

'97-98: Lost West Conf 2nd Rd

MIL

'98-99: Lost East Conf 1st Rd

'01-00: Lost East Conf 1st Rd

'00-01: Lost East Conf Finals

'01-02: No Playoffs

'02-03: Lost East Conf 1st Rd

DEN

'04-05: Lost West Conf 1st Rd
'05-06: Lost West Conf 1st Rd
'06-07: Lost West Conf 1st Rd
'07-08: Lost West Conf 1st Rd
'08-09: Lost West Conf Finals
'09-10: Lost West Conf 1st Rd
'10-11: Lost West Conf 1st Rd
'11-12: Lost West Conf 1st Rd
'12-13: Lost West Conf 1st Rd

We're interested in winning titles and being relevant again. You don't pick a career underachiever as a coach to lead your team for that, not one who consistently folds in the postseason whenever the going gets tough. It's the same reason why you should NEVER take a look at the likes of Don Nelson or Larry Brown if you have championship aspirations. They are the definition of mediocre, and we should NEVER settle for them. After around 20 years worth of playoff failure, it's fair to say that he can't be relied upon in the postseason.

• 40,494 posts

Posted June 06, 2013 - 09:31 PM

Phil Jakcson

Brian Shaw

Byron Scott

Lionel Hollins

George Karl

Jerry Sloan

I tend to value your opinion on a lot of things so I'm curious, why no JVG? What sours you so much on him? He's got a pretty solid resume and has especially always specialized on the defensive end, which should always be top priority.

yo.

#31 fido

fido

• 11,425 posts

Posted June 06, 2013 - 09:47 PM

I really don't know why not Jeff Van Gundy, just something about him tells me he's not a championship level type of coach.

• 40,494 posts

Posted June 06, 2013 - 09:52 PM

^ Yet even though he's way more proven (to say the least), you would still easily take Brian Shaw (who has never even been at the healm) over him?

yo.

#33 Wilfred

Wilfred

Starter

• 4,779 posts
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted June 07, 2013 - 10:41 PM

I would take Vinny over MDA

#34 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,423 posts

Posted June 07, 2013 - 10:51 PM

D'Antoni would be perfect for Denver...

#35 fido

fido

• 11,425 posts

Posted June 07, 2013 - 11:47 PM

Yeah I would take Brian Shaw because he would run the correct system for the personnel the Lakers have and he commands respect with championship experience (both on and beside the court) he brings to the table.  If he needs to sit Kobe because he's playing too much, Kobe will listen to him.

Brian Shaw brings much more provenance to the position than Van Gundy does, far more.

• 40,494 posts

Posted November 21, 2013 - 10:46 PM

George Karl tells Kevin Arnovitz why predictability is the enemy in basketball, why teams turn to heroball in the closing minutes and why playing fast is the best strategy.

yo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users