Photo

NBA Finals: Miami Heat vs San Antonio Spurs

• Please log in to reply
2014 replies to this topic

Poll: Champion (39 member(s) have cast votes)

Who wins the title?

1. Heat in 4 (1 votes [2.56%])

Percentage of vote: 2.56%

2. Heat in 5 (1 votes [2.56%])

3. Heat in 6 (5 votes [12.82%])

Percentage of vote: 12.82%

4. Heat in 7 (3 votes [7.69%])

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

5. Spurs in 4 (1 votes [2.56%])

6. Spurs in 5 (7 votes [17.95%])

Percentage of vote: 17.95%

7. Spurs in 6 (18 votes [46.15%])

Percentage of vote: 46.15%

8. Spurs in 7 (3 votes [7.69%])

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1961 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,910 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted June 21, 2013 - 12:03 AM

And another highly predictable NBA playoffs come to a close (thankfully).

Beyond happy this horrid season is officially over with.

• 40,603 posts

Posted June 21, 2013 - 12:04 AM

LeBron moves into the top 10 of all time for me with this win.

I think you're underrating him a bit.

yo.

#1963 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,859 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 21, 2013 - 12:09 AM

I think you're underrating him a bit.

Not at all. He's bumped out Hakeem from my top 10, but he hasn't yet surpassed anyone else I have there. Need another title to move further up that list. Regular season MVPs are nice, but winning it all is what matters the most.

Jordan

Kareem

Wilt

Russell

Kobe

Shaq

Magic

Bird

Duncan

LeBron

Other than Wilt/Russell, I'm pretty certain of that list of players. If LeBron were to go to a 4th straight Finals AND 3-peat, I'd have no problem moving him to 7th All-Time.

• 40,603 posts

Posted June 21, 2013 - 12:16 AM

^ So you don't agree with most of the media's opinion obviously then?

yo.

#1965 BleedPurple&Gold

BleedPurple&Gold

All-Star

• 6,488 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic

Posted June 21, 2013 - 12:23 AM

Nah [expletive] that not taking hakeem out

9888d4ba-ad6b-4879-93aa-9ef1c6ed1dbd_zps

#1966 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,910 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted June 21, 2013 - 12:34 AM

Regular season MVP's are voted on by the media.  They are meaningless as a gauge to a player's greatness.

Rings are where its at.

L.A.K.E.R. - Oscar Robertson also belongs above LeBron as well.

#1967 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,859 posts

Posted June 21, 2013 - 12:42 AM

What, not taking Hakeem out just because it's LeBron? I'd love to hear the justification for that. He's already matched him in postseason success and was already an all-time talent.

Hakeem with two rings in 3 Finals appearances, two finals in a row, one title defense.

LeBron with two rings in 4 Finals appearances, three finals in a row, and a title defense.

He's already stocked with regular season accolades (which are overrated to me), he's delivered in one of the biggest games in NBA history (nothing bigger than a Game 7), and he's clearly one of the most gifted players in league history. There is no doubting his mental focus now after delivering back-to-back in the two biggest games of his career, when his team was 28 seconds away from blowing the championship in Game 6. I gave him flak for zoning out for much of the series, but once he put it together, there's nothing left to criticize. He basically had one of the greatest Game 7 performances of all time and completely took over the game in the last six quarters of this series.

I have no idea how you could justify keeping him out of the top 10 at this point. Nostalgia for Hakeem wouldn't be a good reason either, and I'm actually a huge fan of Hakeem and don't like LeBron all that much. I just can't ignore the fact that he's one of the best players the league has ever seen.

#1968 BlueJab23

BlueJab23

Rookie

• 489 posts
  • Fan Since:Not a Fan
  • Fav. Laker:Not a Fan

Posted June 21, 2013 - 12:45 AM

Regular season MVP's are voted on by the media.  They are meaningless as a gauge to a player's greatness.

Rings are where its at.

Wait you said Rings are where its at but then you put Oscar Robertson above LeBron who has 2 rings and 2 FMVP?

#1969 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,859 posts

Posted June 21, 2013 - 12:52 AM

Rings are where its at.

I don't put Oscar there because he's only won one ring, and that was as the 2nd best player on his team. He was never able to lead his team to a Finals appearance until Kareem came and quickly became the best player on that Milwaukee team. I'm also going to take those monster statistics with a huge grain of salt as well, since stat inflation was rampant before the modern era of basketball came around in the mid-70s. No way I put Oscar ahead of LeBron after LeBron has proven himself in two straight Finals AND after leading his team to the Finals many more times than Oscar ever did.

The one guy in my list of players who I put higher on the list without a ton of postseason hardware is Wilt, and that's mostly because I believe him to be a transcendent player who could have been just as effective and dominant in any era. He was just SO much better than anyone else at the time that it's hard to compare.  Not on the level of scoring 50 a game or grabbing 30+ rebounds nightly (which is stat inflation at it's finest), but he could easily have been a 26/12 kind of big in a latter era where "playing big" wasn't frowned upon. I don't feel the same about Oscar Robertson at all, and I definitely don't think his game translates as effectively to any latter era.

#1970 BleedPurple&Gold

BleedPurple&Gold

All-Star

• 6,488 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic

Posted June 21, 2013 - 12:55 AM

nah still not putting lebron above hakeem and i like both

9888d4ba-ad6b-4879-93aa-9ef1c6ed1dbd_zps

#1971 Paris

Paris

Rookie

• 606 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted June 21, 2013 - 02:08 AM

only fitting That Lebron get away with a travel on that last shot. Only fitting.

#1972 apimentel24

apimentel24

Rookie

• 72 posts
  • Name:ToyoLaker
  • Fan Since:1983

Posted June 21, 2013 - 05:17 AM

I think we all gotta listen to what Magic said last night and just stop hating on Lebron already. First it was, haha he's not clutch, then it was he can't make it to the Finals, then it was he'll never win a title ( for Hip hop fans I wonder if The Game ever paid up for saying he'd bet a million dollars dude would never get a ring), then it was he can't shoot though, doesn't have 5 rings. I just kind of get sick of hearing the hate for this guy. I love the Lakers and live and die with them but Jesus give the man some credit. He now is a back to back champ (no easy feat) and performed at the highest level on the biggest stage. I know we're all Kobe fans on here but I enjoy watching the great players in the NBA and he is the best right now. I hope we can build a team that will dethrone the Heat but as long as LBJ is rocking that uniform they will be right in the thick of the playoffs every year whether we like it or not. Just my 2 cents on LBJ.

Everything negative - pressure, challenges - is all an opportunity for me to rise. - Kobe Bryant

#1973 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 3,046 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted June 21, 2013 - 07:59 AM

Didn't see most of the game but waking up today noticed Heat won, all in all congrats to the franchise and their "actual' fanbase. Haven't seen ESPN since Game 6 and probably won't for a few days. A friend pointed out what makes the Heat players more annoying is the media constantly praising them regardless so I'll just stay away lol.

Oh and you cannot take Hakeem out of any top 10 list, an all time great center and if anyone ever made the argument for him over Shaq they'd have plenty of validity. Hakeem over Duncan easily, no contest, it goes to the point where it is Bird vs Hakeem. Only cause I have Magic over Bird.

All in all what I took from this years playoffs are small market teams succeeding (Pacers and Spurs), what some do after the success is shoot themselves in the foot (Grizz and Nuggets), Knicks will always be overrated, what if all Bulls were healthy, and most of all that not having a competitive Lakers is just a tremendous letdown.

Edited by Ven21, June 21, 2013 - 08:08 AM.

#1974 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,901 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted June 21, 2013 - 08:49 AM

Yea I'd still take Hakeem over LeBron but if LeBron wins another title then I gotta take LeBron over Hakeem

"No Justice. No Peace. Jail the Racist Police!"

#1975 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,951 posts

Posted June 21, 2013 - 09:29 AM

Hate hate hateeee that Lebron won but Im glad Duncan/Spurs didnt equal our 5. Choked big time lol he got single covered all game by Bosh and just couldn't punish him, especially late in the game whne he blew a gimme layup.

I wonder if Pop regrets cutting Stephen Jackson now. Could've used an extra ball handler out ther

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#1976 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,951 posts

Posted June 21, 2013 - 09:34 AM

I hope Duncan doesn't get off the hook for his years after his 07 title...this is now 3 straight years with home court advantage and his team hasn't won

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#1977 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,198 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 21, 2013 - 11:38 AM

Lebron above The Dream??? Hell nah

Edited by Windu, June 21, 2013 - 11:38 AM.

Pau Gasol is GONE

• 40,603 posts

Posted June 21, 2013 - 12:26 PM

I wonder if Pop regrets cutting Stephen Jackson now. Could've used an extra ball handler out ther

I was thinking of that a lot at times throughout the series. Not just the ball-handling, but another 3PT shooter, a solid defender, and could create his own shot way better than Danny Green or some of those other dudes. Heck, you could even give it to him down on the post.

A shame he couldn't stay on the team. Can't guarantee it would've been the absolute difference or enough to win it all, but considering the attributes in his overall game compared to some of those other dudes they had out there at times, especially Manu, it might not have hurt.

yo.

#1979 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,951 posts

Posted June 21, 2013 - 12:43 PM

Choke lol smaller Battier guarding him

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#1980 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,244 posts

Posted June 21, 2013 - 01:03 PM

LeBron better thank Allen big time. If Heat lost in 6, the LeBron debate will have taken a complete 360.

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users