Roy Hibbert Fined $75K For “No Homo” Comment

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,166 posts

Posted June 02, 2013 - 07:27 PM

He's not a hero but let's not pretend that being gay in sports is an easy thing that doesn't come with potential backlash behind closed doors

Saying you are straight or gay aren't the same things. There is no prejudice against straight people. Being straight is socially normal, it is what the majority are. The majority population are heterosexual

This logic you're flinging around is asinine. Nonsensical.

It's not difficult to announce the sky is blue, but it is difficult to announce the world isn't flat to those who believe if you sail far enough you'll fall off the edge

Ok, maybe my analysis was stupid, but I do not think what Hibbert was an offense to gays. What Kobe said was more offensive. But the fact his employer is the NBA, they want to make sure their image is clean and equal. I am sure many people on this board say no homo, and they do not use it as a gay slur way. I jsut can't believe how sensitive our society is today. Sorry for bad grammar....on my phone

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#22 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,151 posts

Posted June 02, 2013 - 07:37 PM

Ok, maybe my analysis was stupid, but I do not think what Hibbert was an offense to gays. What Kobe said was more offensive. But the fact his employer is the NBA, they want to make sure their image is clean and equal. I am sure many people on this board say no homo, and they do not use it as a gay slur way. I jsut can't believe how sensitive our society is today. Sorry for bad grammar....on my phone

It wasn't offensive. Offense would imply that he said it in malice. The issue isn't the offensive nature of the statement. The NBA doesn't care if he intended to offend or just used common slang

As far as the NBA is concerned this is a business, they have an image. They dont care if the statement was meant to be innocent, they care about looking like they run a high end business built on class individuals, and the ability to punish those who act below that expectation

The statement is slang, slang that is for the most part innocent. People say it lightheartedly. But at that level of business, in the eastern conference finals ( a fact people are forgetting, the stage is larger so tougher fines to flex muscles) a fine was coming

I don't understand the shock. Yes 75,000 is a lot for something that seems common. But it's not common at that level of expectation.
Posted Image

#23 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,649 posts
  • Fan Since:1986
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 02, 2013 - 07:37 PM

I would love to see a NBA player say at the beginning of his conference,

"hello, how can I help you homo-Sapians today?

#24 JEN

JEN

Legend

• 27,063 posts

Posted June 02, 2013 - 07:52 PM

I guess some people finding that phrase offensive is like being offended by "That's gay." I don't even say "that's gay" anymore...and "that's retarded."

Sure, "no homo" implies that being gay is awful/bad/unacceptable, and I totally understand. But I don't know... overall I find this rather excessive. There's a lot worse things that can be said out there that could offend the LGBT community *shrug*

#25 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,151 posts

Posted June 02, 2013 - 07:54 PM

I guess some people finding that phrase offensive is like being offended by "That's gay." I don't even say "that's gay" anymore...and "that's retarded."

Sure, "no homo" implies that being gay is awful/bad/unacceptable, and I totally understand. But I don't know... overall I find this rather excessive. There's a lot worse things that can be said out there that could offend the LGBT community *shrug*

Exactly, and that's why the NBA fined him.

From their perspective, why risk the backlash of letting it slide.
Posted Image

#26 JEN

JEN

Legend

• 27,063 posts

Posted June 02, 2013 - 07:58 PM

Exactly, and that's why the NBA fined him.

From their perspective, why risk the backlash of letting it slide.

That's rather understandable then.

The fine alone though? I still find that excessive.

#27 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,151 posts

Posted June 02, 2013 - 08:22 PM

That's rather understandable then.

The fine alone though? I still find that excessive.

it was excessive, my guess is it has something to do with it being the ECF. it being nationally televised, game 6. had it been regular season against Milwaukee it may have gone unnoticed 

Posted Image

#28 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,837 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted June 02, 2013 - 08:53 PM

Really stupid. No homo really? How is that offensive? The league stops needing to act so butt hurt . See what I did there.

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#29 lildvl10

lildvl10

Rookie

• 762 posts
  • Fan Since:6
  • Fav. Laker:kobe bryant

Posted June 03, 2013 - 01:48 AM

I would love to see a NBA player say at the beginning of his conference,

"hello, how can I help you homo-Sapians today?

lol

#30 Saber

Saber

O.G.

• 13,307 posts
  • Name:Ivan
  • Fan Since:year 2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 03, 2013 - 03:04 AM

Are you kidding me ? 75k for that ? I mean yeah it's offensive to some people, but 75k is insane .. The NBA just looks for more ways to fill up their pockets ..

Check me out on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/str8ridah

Message From Pac

#31 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,102 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 03, 2013 - 05:02 AM

I'm so close to being done with the NBA. Pathetic ass league

Pau Gasol is GONE

#32 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,904 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted June 03, 2013 - 07:19 AM

The NBA doesn't need you, whatsoever.

A) Can any of you curse at your job?

B) No homo is offensive. It's like someone saying : Not in a [expletive]er way.

You can cuss, but on LIVe NBA TV? hell no.

You see Kobe waits until a Tuesday night in Minnesota but his press conference in the playoffs never contain that type of language.

Like I said, some of you are so mature, that if this happened to LeBron, you would be saying it should have been a million dollars

#33 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,409 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 03, 2013 - 08:04 AM

People are too sensitive.

I understand why he got fined and it is justified because its a negative situation for a business, but doesn't change the fact that people are too damn sensitive these days.

He wasn't purposely attempting to offend the gay community and more times than not, athletes who make comments like Hibbert did are not trying to either.

#34 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 3,010 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted June 03, 2013 - 08:19 AM

At this point the fine isn't that much of an issue, its all these commentators and writers saying he used a 'gay slur'. 'No homo' is over stated like when people used to (or still) 'that's what she said'. Most would view it as immature and just inappropriate at best, but no insult. These writers are blowing it up like they are more hurt at the fact he called them out and said 'you mother[expletive]ers.

The other thing is him tweeting Jason Collins, that is ignorant to me. I get Collins should be somwhat praised for coming out as an athlete, but he wasn't dominant or even young to be a valuable asset to a team, he just did it because he wanted to and knew there wouldn't be a major consequence. Collins isn't the NBA's gay ambassador to where all PR and statements run through him. It reminds me of how some black people feel about Sharpton, just because it involves the Black community doesn't mean it requires Sharpton.

#35 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,837 posts

Posted June 03, 2013 - 08:37 AM

People are too sensitive.

I understand why he got fined and it is justified because its a negative situation for a business, but doesn't change the fact that people are too damn sensitive these days.

He wasn't purposely attempting to offend the gay community and more times than not, athletes who make comments like Hibbert did are not trying to either.

This. I understand he had to get fined for PR reasons, but people need to stop acting so sensitive.

I still dont see no homo as offensive, but hey if people want to act like it is an attack against gays so be it.

• 40,416 posts

Posted June 03, 2013 - 10:04 AM

At this point the fine isn't that much of an issue, its all these commentators and writers saying he used a 'gay slur'. 'No homo' is over stated like when people used to (or still) 'that's what she said'. Most would view it as immature and just inappropriate at best, but no insult. These writers are blowing it up like they are more hurt at the fact he called them out and said 'you mother[expletive]ers.

Great point. Don't know why I didn't consider that till you mentioned it.

yo.

#37 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,151 posts

Posted June 03, 2013 - 11:47 AM

This. I understand he had to get fined for PR reasons, but people need to stop acting so sensitive.

I still dont see no homo as offensive, but hey if people want to act like it is an attack against gays so be it.

I have seen very few people even treat it as offensive.

From a business perspective it was 100% the right move. Touchy subject, ECF, millions watching after just forcing a game 7 on national TV, against one of if not the most watched team in basketball

People need to forget about their thoughts on the phrase "no homo". It's irrelevant

Because you nor anyone on this board is held to the standard hibbert is. You can walk around and say what you want. He cannot. That's why he immediately issued an apology

He would be fighting this if he thought he was wronged. He graduated from georgetown. He knows he has no case. The NBA is a billion dollar organization that holds its players to a standard. This includes press conference candor.

He failed to meet that, used a phrase that is morally ambiguous on top of other lovely words he threw around and he got his pocket attacked

As a business it's better to look too strict than look like the employees can do whatever they want. With a touchy subject like this the NBA could only lose by not proactively punishing him. By punishing him they allow the issue to die off and also look like they are in control of their players
Posted Image

#38 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,151 posts

Posted June 03, 2013 - 11:51 AM

The other thing is him tweeting Jason Collins, that is ignorant to me. I get Collins should be somwhat praised for coming out as an athlete, but he wasn't dominant or even young to be a valuable asset to a team, he just did it because he wanted to and knew there wouldn't be a major consequence. Collins isn't the NBA's gay ambassador to where all PR and statements run through him. It reminds me of how some black people feel about Sharpton, just because it involves the Black community doesn't mean it requires Sharpton.

You're right Collins is not an Ambassador, but you act like hibbert was thinking straight

Hibbert panicked because he knew he was in trouble so he was trying to not get suspended by the league for game 7. That was him trying his best to make it look like he was contrite to the league
Posted Image

• 40,416 posts

Posted June 03, 2013 - 11:59 AM

In 2012 Andrew Bynum Drops a “No Homo” in Interview; Not Fined by NBA

http://blacksportson...d-by-nba-video/

LeBron James Says “No Homo” in Interview; Never Fined By NBA

http://blacksportson...d-by-nba-video/

25 NSFW Guys Flipping Out Over Roy Hibbert’s ‘Homo’ $75K Fine

http://bustedcoverag...-homo-75k-fine/

yo.

#40 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,837 posts

Posted June 03, 2013 - 12:03 PM

You're right Collins is not an Ambassador, but you act like hibbert was thinking straight

Hibbert panicked because he knew he was in trouble so he was trying to not get suspended by the league for game 7. That was him trying his best to make it look like he was contrite to the league

He was thats why he said no homo, :laughing:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users