Photo

What are your top ten open world / sandbox games?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,135 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted May 28, 2013 - 12:53 PM

The games I enjoy playing are usually open world games and sports games. Not much of an rpg game or just shooting games or linear games. Not much of a multiplayer guy. So I was curious of your top ten open world/sand box games?  I know there will be debates and Im sure my top ten will make you guys wonder wtf. But this is what forums is for. To debate and argue and sometimes agree. You can list your top ten games only without putting reasons why. But if you do, it will just make it more interesting to read the post.

1. Grand Theft Auto series.

Kind of hard to not put this Rockstar franchise on top. They are the god father of open world games. Looking forward to GTA5 coming out this sept.  I am still playing GTA IV at times and still enjoying it.

2. Sleeping Dogs

I know a lot of people will be like WTF? You putting sleeping dogs in number 2? Let me explain. I believe this game is the most under rated open world game of all time.  I know a lot of people said it is a copycat of the GTA games but though somewhat similiar, there are a lot of uniqueness for this game. The malee combat to me is one of the best ever. You dont just shoot people like GTA. You actually use combos like Batman Arkem but even better. I played it going through the games 3 times and finally got all the collectables and such. Still enjoy it. I am a sucker for martial arts game so maybe thats why but this is much more than just a kung fu game. So much better than what it was as True Crimes series. Hope they come out with the sequel

3. Elder Scroll Skyrim

I didn't own this game. I borrowed it from a friend. Didn't get to finish it because I had to return it to my friend but the couple of weeks I played it, it was amazing. Such a huge game that one might not want to touch because you have to really put yourself into this game in order to even get 70% complete. It is like an RPG but bigger.

4. Saints Row 2.

Believe it or not I like saints row 2 better than Saints Row 3.  To me saints row 3 is just stupid. Seems like they concentrate more on making this game rated x than they want to make the game a good game. I love hot chicks like the next guy but I don't think it is neccesary to forced sexual conotations into people's faces just to make the game cool. Saints Row 2 have much more of a good story.

5. Far Cry 3

One of the best first person open world shooter I've played in a long time. THe story is great and the islands are beautiful. Even though it can be a very fast game to finish if you just go through the main missions and not care about getting all the radio towers and finding the treasures, it is still a good game to mess around with.

6,  Red Dead Redemption

Only played this game for a little bit but I really enjoyed it. If you love western, you will be a fool to not get this game. I did play the zombie ones and it was enjoyable. I'm not surprised since rockstars are king of open world games.

7.  Just Cause 2

All I have to say is this game is a true sand box game because you have more fun messing around than actually finishing up the game and follow the main story line. I rent it through gamefly just to mess around with it and I understand what is all the hype about it. The story lines are horrible and the voice acting is bad but the graphics are pretty good and messin around aint that bad.

8.  Assasin's Creed 2

Many said this is not truely a sand box or open world game but this to me seems open world. You get to walk around the beautiful Italy with cities like Venice and Florence and the country side and just assasinate anybody you want? Sign me up. The story is great also. I enjoy most of the assasin's creed series except for the first one and Revelations.  Assassin's Creed 2 is the best to me.

9. Fall Out New Vegas.

I just started playing this game so don't have much review for this but so far it seems good. I want to put it on my list because it seems like it will be a great open world game. Heard it is great from other people who finish this game.

10. L.A Noire

A very smart game. Makes you actually think a little when you play. How to become more of a detective than just go around shooting people. I enjoy this game and since its by rockstar, I already had high hopes for it when I first played it. Really enjoy this game.

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#2 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,641 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted May 28, 2013 - 01:06 PM

How can you not put the best sandbox game ever on that list. Minecraft is easily the best. No game to ever match it. 

#3 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,135 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 01:08 PM

I never played it. I only put games that I played. 

Mine craft? Is that the game with those 1992 MS DOS graphics?  That game looks horrible! If we talking about the same game.

Edited by epicwolf, May 28, 2013 - 01:37 PM.

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#4 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,641 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 01:27 PM

Well for one every game you listed isnt a sandbox game. A sandbox game is something where you can build and create things in a certain area. Another sandbox game could be some of the halo games where you can design maps now and do allot of custom games within the game. 

Graphics should never determine if a game is bad. If thats all you are looking for you are limiting yourself to some amazing game. A lot of great games around today are made but cant have the amazing graphics like the top companies have because of low budgets. Though Minecraft has the ability to add texture packs if it really is a problem. 

Minecraft is literally a game you can start with nothing but do anything in a world that is 7000 times larger that the planet earth(though technically infinite). It is the most successful indie game of all time. I have never met one person who actually played the game seriously for at least an hour and did not love the game. Its so simple yet you can do anything in it. 

Edited by bigfetz, May 28, 2013 - 01:27 PM.

#5 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,135 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 01:37 PM

The games I listed are considered open world though. Sure it is debatable if those are sandbox but you can't say those games I listed are not open world. 

If you talking about real sandbox, you probably would see me put up The Sims or Rollercoaster Tacoon whatever.  I think those are the games that is kind of like minecraft but then again it is not like creating your own world.  I don't think I will enjoy minecraft that much. I do want a game that has a point of doing things but I wouldn't argue with you about it being a crappy game since i never played it.

You are entitled to your love for that game. I did watch some gameplay of it on youtube and I fell asleep through it so I dont think its my type of game.  And no, graphics is not always my priority.  If that is the case, Leasure Suit Larry and in the land of the lounge lizard wouldn't be one of my favorite game of all time till this day.

#6 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,135 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 01:38 PM

I wondered if you like those hipsters who like under ground music or indie products just so you can be different from everybody else.

#7 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,641 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 02:03 PM

I wondered if you like those hipsters who like under ground music or indie products just so you can be different from everybody else.

No m a computer programmer so I admire original designs that allot of the indie gamer designer do. Most of the top gaming companies just reuse their gaming engines pretty much make the same game over and over again with different skins and new dialogue  Id rather pay 10-15 bucks for a indie game too than 60 for an xbox game that I will beat in a day. 

#8 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,468 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted May 28, 2013 - 02:53 PM

Minecraft is awesome!

Lol no need for a douchie-comment like that

#9 KobeWillReturnTriumphant

KobeWillReturnTriumphant

TheNefariousJim&HisSilverSpoon

• 1,768 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic/Kobe/Tony Smith

Posted May 28, 2013 - 05:51 PM

PItfall.  Best game ever.  I think Ikari Warriors would also be considered a choice as it never ended.  Rygar seemed to go forever also. haha

#10 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,346 posts
  • Fan Since:1986
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 30, 2013 - 10:15 AM

None of those games are sandbox games....

LA Noire? seriously?

That may have been the worst game I have ever played... that game was a visual tech demo, and then the decided to charge people 60$ to pick up items and look at them...

Kerbal Space program is also fun...

Simcities are pretty good...

But seriously... this list should be

minecraft, and then everyone else...

And, if you haven't played mincraft yet, SERSIOLY, WTF, buy it... its on xbox, or PC, and I garentee it will be on the new systems as well... There is a reason it is the only game in HISTORY to win game of the year in 2 different years... Really Game of the year 3 times...

It won Game of the Year awards before it was even released... it won game of the year awards when it was released... and it won game of the year awards when it was released on the XBOX...

Mnecraft is not for everyone, some people NEED to have that guidance, and 1-way streets, and static storylines... some people want 100% freedom... and that's what minecraft is...

#11 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,346 posts

Posted May 30, 2013 - 10:22 AM

Strange random duchy comment...

You think the only reason minecraft has sold like 30 million copies is cause its an indie title?

Minecraft has sparked an entire new genre of games... it has changed gaming for the better...

Minecraft is the most revolutionary game since Tetris and the original Mario...

The options are LIMITLESS on minecraft...

Just the other day, me and my buddy started a new game, and we built a nice looking castle, and some people joined... and we decided to have some fun and didn't let them into our castle... an all out 2v2 battle broke out as they keep asking to come in, and we keep slaughting them... this went on for a couple hours of GREAT fun...

Minecraft is limited by your imagination...

even people that HATE the game, I mean HATE it, I would get them to play, and before they know it, they are having fun, chasing down cows, asking how to build stuff...

just a couple days ago, I started a new world, and since I been watching Lost, I put in the lost numbers as a seed for the map...

4 8 15 16 23 42

and it was the best map EVER!!!!, found 2 blacksmiths with diamonds!!! 5 diamonds before I even dug into ground! legendary!

The game never ends... the game constantly updates...

And they don't charge... best 15$ I ever spent in my life

#12 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,346 posts

Posted May 30, 2013 - 10:27 AM

Totally missed one...

DayZ

best open world sandbox-multiplayer shooter ever made

#13 BleedPurple&Gold

BleedPurple&Gold

All-Star

• 6,326 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe,Magic

Posted June 01, 2013 - 10:52 PM

Guys I need some help. I'm thinking about buying Skyrim today and I was wondering should I get the legendary edition or just the regular version?

Edited by BleedPurple&Gold, June 01, 2013 - 10:52 PM.

9888d4ba-ad6b-4879-93aa-9ef1c6ed1dbd_zps

#14 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,346 posts

Posted June 02, 2013 - 01:31 PM

whats the difference?

in my experience, I have never really thought the special edition was ever worth it...

Guys I need some help. I'm thinking about buying Skyrim today and I was wondering should I get the legendary edition or just the regular version?

to tell the truth, I cannot even get thru the game...

WAY TOO lineaur for me...way too much story telling... way too dumbed down from the prior game (oblivion, which is far superior game)

I been playing kerbal space program, and I love it... designing rockets, and luaching them into space, staging the rockets, getting into orbit, slingshoting around towards the mun... everything I do is on me... while... other games make you go thru this door, down this path, and fight this enemy...

Only games I play now are sandbox games that offer freedom, Sports games, and RTS games (total War, which is kinda sandbox, as you get a map of a world, and you go from there... I don't HAVE to invade belguim as Holland... I can ddo whatever I want, invade hannover, or backstab the brittsh...

Minecraft

DayZ

Kerbal Space Program

Empire Total War

NBA 2k

that's my rotation of games right now

#15 BleedPurple&Gold

BleedPurple&Gold

All-Star

• 6,326 posts

Posted June 02, 2013 - 01:53 PM

Basically the legendary edition is the game with all the dlcs. I choose to preorder the legendary edition since they told me it would be cheaper

Edited by BleedPurple&Gold, June 02, 2013 - 01:54 PM.

#16 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,346 posts

Posted June 02, 2013 - 02:02 PM

ouch...

minecraft kinda ruined expansion packs... since, they been updating their game, for free, for 2 years...

And kerbal gets free updates, and free expansion packs...

Basically the legendary edition is the game with all the dlcs. I choose to preorder the legendary edition since they told me it would be cheaper

like 5-6 years ago, a few video games got bold, and started charging 59.99 for their game, instead of 49.99... soon, everyone is charging 59.99, and everyone just expects it...

the new thing to wring more money out of the consumer, is stupid expansion packs, and add ons, things the game developer, INTERNTIONALLY holds out of the game, in order to squeeze a few more bucks out of the consumer... games have additional 20$ expansion packs, out the same day the game is released!!!!

Im not buying any games that offer partially complete games, and then want you to keep paying to unlock the game...

the next big terrible thing to happen to gamers will be the destruction of used games, or sharing games with your friend... it has started the last few years on the PC, and Idiot Box One will be making it a priority for them..

I am going with games that go against these new developments...

3 time game of the year, minecraft, is still under 30$ I believe, and they give you all the updates for free

kerbal space program is giving all expansion packs to the game for free to those who already bought the game

#17 BleedPurple&Gold

BleedPurple&Gold

All-Star

• 6,326 posts

Posted June 02, 2013 - 02:05 PM

yea true

#18 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,346 posts

Posted June 02, 2013 - 02:29 PM

I have even bought several games in the last couple years, and every time I buy a 60$ game its a disapointment

#19 MidnightMarauder

MidnightMarauder

Off The Bench

• 1,484 posts
  • Name:Michael
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Lamar, Worthy, Magic

Posted June 02, 2013 - 06:38 PM

Open world games?

GTA series(San Andreas and GTA III are my favs)

Far Cry 3

Minecraft

Elder scrolls series(I love Oblivion and Skyrim about the same)

Fallout 3

Red Dead Redemption

Trying to think of some more. That's off the top of my head.

#20 flota

flota

Barca, Lakers, Cowboys, Chivas

• 2,371 posts
  • Fan Since:2008
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe

Posted July 08, 2013 - 06:04 PM

Gameplay>graphics...

Elder scrolls series.
Fallaout 3.
Red dead redemption.
GTA series

Mods is why PC beats the consoles, check out skyrim mods... Some of them are completely new games.

Assasins creed is a poor "open world" game, sure you roam the place for someone to kill, but away from that you cant do much.
Imposible is nothing.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty. Inquisitor Lord Fyodor Karamazov.

Alea Iacta Est. Julius Caesar.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users