2 replies to this topic

#1 Game786

Game786

Rookie

• 8 posts
  • Fan Since:2005
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 25, 2013 - 05:51 PM

Every discussion I've had regarding players from the present era compared to players in previous eras always ends in the older generation players coming out on top as the better player.

I was wondering why people tend to lean towards the older players being better? is it the pace of the game that has changed? is it the change in the strictness of refereeing? has the roughness and the game to game grind changed? 

In my opinion, player statistics can't be the only method of comparison as the factors I've mentioned above surely had an impact on the style of game that players had.

#2 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,763 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted May 25, 2013 - 05:57 PM

It is a never ending debate, its completely impossible to use reason to compare players from different eras, hell its almost impossible to compare players that play in the same era. There are limitations that are involved in a debate and when you compare past and present there are too many hypothetical and what if's to come to a sound agreement on who was better. This is the reason the media loves to talk about it, because you can drum up so much crap by doing this, but there is no real way to compare plays in different eras to have something other than bias and opinion determine the outcome of the argument.

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#3 L.A.7

L.A.7

Rookie

• 71 posts

Posted May 27, 2013 - 01:11 AM

IMO you can never get a definitive answer. You can't really compare because stats do not tell the whole story. For example Kobe vs Michael Jordan. Stats show Jordan shot 50% while Kobe shot 45%. Once you take a close look you see that Kobe shot 9/20 and Michael shot 10/20. Big difference? No, not really. However, people use stats all the time to discuss the current and past eras and even though it is a good basis for comparisons, you can't always rely on stats for the full story and comparison.

One reason why the older eras are more respected and stated as better is because of the talent. For example in the 80s and 90s you had Kareem, Magic, Bird, Jordan, Olajuwon, Barkley, Malone, Stockton, Shaq, Ewing, David Robinson an many more. Many of these guys are top 10 and many of these guys would be top 1 or top 2/3 players today if they played. Some of these guys have individual cases for being the GOAT. Then you had guys like Isiah Thomas, Starks, Drexler, Mchale, Pippen, Hardaway, Worthy and again many more. Even though they are not on the same level as Jordan, Magic, Bird or the other guys I mentioned, they were still very great players. As you can see the past eras were loaded with talented players and GOAT candidates. If you take a look at the league now other than Kobe and Lebron, no one can be compared to the elites of the past, both accomplishment wise and statistic wise. Sure there are great players like Chris Paul, Durant, Carmelo, Westbrook, they do not have that elite status to be a all time elite player.

Kobe, Lebron and Duncan are the only ones that have top 10 cases and IMO top 5 cases for Kobe and Lebron (when all is said and done). I guess people will say the past eras are better because of the number of GREAT players that have played during those times. More talent, more accomplishments, and more skill level imo will equal out to a better era. This current present era in basketball is a great one and is a joy to watch though!

Edited by L.A.7, May 27, 2013 - 01:16 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users