389 replies to this topic

#81 Calisupra2nr

Calisupra2nr

Rookie

• 849 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic & Kobe

Posted May 25, 2013 - 02:07 PM

No what will happen is that indiana is prepared for George not to sign an extension. When they go through contract discussions this offseason with west that is something they will keep in mind - having to match a contract with tactics like poison pills.

Historically, poison pill contracts have done nothing from deterring teams from resigning superstars. Poison pills work on players like a Lin or Asik. That is really the main case in recent years of a poison pill being effective.

#82 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,079 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted May 25, 2013 - 02:21 PM

No what will happen is that indiana is prepared for George not to sign an extension. When they go through contract discussions this offseason with west that is something they will keep in mind - having to match a contract with tactics like poison pills.

Historically, poison pill contracts have done nothing from deterring teams from resigning superstars. Poison pills work on players like a Lin or Asik. That is really the main case in recent years of a poison pill being effective.

In my opinion the only way they could really prepare for George not resigning is letting go of West, trying to trade Granger and Green in a package for an expiring contract(s)(in 2014) and then having to make a decision on whether or not to keep Stephenson and a couple of other moves to cut down their team financially unless everyone was willing to take a paycut just to keep George on the team. 

So yes, they could counter the poison pill contract, but at the loss of their depth, defensively and offensively(which is scarce already) which means they wouldn't contend next year nor be the top 3 seed(or further) in the East.  They can't keep Paul George and their depth, they'll have to pick one or the other. 

They'd have to rebuild all over again around Paul George but need to go through years of mediocrity because they hurt themselves financially just to keep him.   I guess it's a question whether they are willing to do that. 

Thing is they are going to have to make decisions "this" off-season to try to counter what may or may not happen in the next.  If they gut their team to into going nowhere just to try to sign George if a poison pill or max contract is offered, and none is offered, they gutted their team for nothing and George is leaving in 2015 anyway at that point imo.

So they'd really have to be chess players about this I feel.   Can they? Sure? Will they? Remains to be seen. 

I for one hope they aren't..for obvious reasons :laughing:

Edited by Majesty, May 25, 2013 - 02:22 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#83 dmorans24

dmorans24

Rookie

• 39 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 25, 2013 - 02:25 PM

Didn't you guys see my post. We CAN'T offer a posion pill contract to George!! HELLO! Is anyone in there?

All we can offer is the MAX and for a player with the years of experience of George it ain't THAT much. Indiana will match and no that will not put their team in danger.

Wishful thinking by some posters here who don't even know the new CBA.

Edited by dmorans24, May 25, 2013 - 02:28 PM.

#84 Calisupra2nr

Calisupra2nr

Rookie

• 849 posts

Posted May 25, 2013 - 02:53 PM

Dmorans what are you talking about? You sounded like you were about to say something important with some support but then it was just rambling..

#85 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,860 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted May 25, 2013 - 02:57 PM

It's funny how people demanding Paul George in this thread are most likely the same people saying that he wasn't even an All-Star when I brought him up a few months back... I brought up all his stats and how good he is...

but nobody ever listens

Why do you do this?

So let's talk about how good you thought he was in January.

Top 5 SF
1. Kevin Durant
2. Lebron James
3. Carmelo Anthony
4. Rudy Gay
5. Paul George
Rudy Gay, huh?

You probably would not have liked this post by me, back in January, then...

Paul George is already better than Rudy Gay. Sorry guys. George is a FAR better defensive player, he's a FAR better playmaker, better rebounder, and he's smarter. Gay can score, but George is a better shooter...and Gay has yet to rack up a 20 PPG season, so he's not THAT much better at dropping buckets.

As it stands, Paul George is a 17/8/4 guy who plays defense. In his third season, first shot at leading his own team. That's already better than what Gay is doing this season, and even with everything pushed aside, there's a bigger reason why Memphis wants to trade Rudy...and it has nothing to do with money.
And by the way, are you talking about this topic?  How many people disagreed with you again?

And Warren beat you to it, with some agreeing.

If I still had my board up, I'd show you how many people were calling him a future star last summer, before his big opportunity.  Here's a piece out of one of the game topics from January 2012:

D-Will minimized the turnovers, but still jacked a lot of threes in this game...yet, aside from him and Brooks (and Anthony Morrow, lol), you don't get the feeling anyone really wants to score, as if they fear the rest of the league.

Paul George is for real. The dude continues to take smarter shots, improving each game. It's going to be interesting to see him put on some muscle (if he does) and just how he will play at that point. I can see him being an all-star in a few years, maybe even the cornerstone of this franchise.
And this last one...was in October 2010, in a topic created on my board, asking if Paul George was going to be a great player:

Well, he's struggling right now. A lot of people figured he would start showing how good he could potentially be right out of the gates, but so far, it's not really anything to be excited about.

I just hope, for the team's sake, that if George becomes a decent player, the Pacers don't move Granger up to the power forward slot more than they did last season, and then settle. Both Granger and George are capable of playing the two, Paul more than Danny.

If Indiana wants to make some real noise, it'll depend on how they play those two in the lineup, and how well George plays to begin with. Then they can focus on the four, because I don't believe Hansbrough or McRoberts should be starting.

Give him a few years, though. He's an all-star if he becomes more of an aggressor on the offensive end. I have a feeling Indiana will be choosing one or the other, though, and Granger just keeps getting hurt, shoots a low percentage, and doesn't really pass the ball much.

Don't go this route again, dude.  You created a topic back in January, of this year (2013), saying he should be an all-star.  That's not really something to brag about, because most of us figured he'd be in the running for it.

What's the obsession with this?

#86 dmorans24

dmorans24

Rookie

• 39 posts

Posted May 25, 2013 - 03:00 PM

Dmorans what are you talking about? You sounded like you were about to say something important with some support but then it was just rambling..

You guys should really do some digging about this "poison pill" contract. Paul Geroge is not eligible for that contract offer. Only second rounders with 2 years or less of experience are eligible, and they'd have to be restricted free agents. Basically this type of contract will be very rare in the NBA, surprising that it happened twice in the same summer.

Edited by dmorans24, May 25, 2013 - 03:01 PM.

#87 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,860 posts

Posted May 25, 2013 - 03:13 PM

Not many people know much about the Poison Pill contract to begin with, and I've read through the entire CBA and doubt there's any mention of it in there (actually being called a Poison Pill contract), since it's a loophole out of the Arenas Provision.

The Poison Pill Provision is something different, and it relates to first rounders, so if people did end up trying to research it, it's understandable why there would be confusion.

#88 dmorans24

dmorans24

Rookie

• 39 posts

Posted May 25, 2013 - 03:23 PM

Not many people know much about the Poison Pill contract to begin with, and I've read through the entire CBA and doubt there's any mention of it in there (actually being called a Poison Pill contract), since it's a loophole out of the Arenas Provision.

The Poison Pill Provision is something different, and it relates to first rounders, so if people did end up trying to research it, it's understandable why there would be confusion.

No. See here: http://www.denversti...mer-asik-others

But your right it's definitely understandable for confusion to happen.

#89 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,860 posts

Posted May 25, 2013 - 03:26 PM

No. See here: http://www.denversti...mer-asik-others

But your right it's definitely understandable for confusion to happen.

No, you're incorrect.

88. What is the Poison Pill Provision?

If a team extends a first round draft pick's rookie scale contract (see question number 58) and then trades the player between the date the extension is signed and the date it takes effect, the player's trade value for the receiving team is the average of the salaries in the last year of the rookie scale contract and each year of the extension. This is called the Poison Pill provision. The sending team uses the player's actual salary when calculating their total outgoing salary. They use the current-year maximum salary in place of the (unknown) maximum salary for a future season, if necessary.

http://www.cbafaq.co...larycap.htm#Q88

That's where the confusion happens, like I said.  The Poison Pill Provision, and the poison pill contract, are two different things.

EDIT: And, to verify, there is no mention of a poison pill contract in the CBA.  Just did a quick search.

#90 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,490 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted May 25, 2013 - 03:29 PM

so it is still a possibility RD? idk i didn't feel like reading all that provision [expletive].

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#91 dmorans24

dmorans24

Rookie

• 39 posts

Posted May 25, 2013 - 03:30 PM

No, you're incorrect.

http://www.cbafaq.co...larycap.htm#Q88

That's where the confusion happens, like I said.  The Poison Pill Provision, and the poison pill contract, are two different things.

EDIT: And, to verify, there is no mention of a poison pill contract in the CBA.  Just did a quick search.

Uhh you're right. But still that Poison Pill Provision is not relevant in this Paul George situation.

And still the poison pill contract can only be offered to second rounders or undrafted with 2 or less years of experience, and have to be restricted.

Edited by dmorans24, May 25, 2013 - 03:31 PM.

#92 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,860 posts

Posted May 25, 2013 - 03:36 PM

so it is still a possibility RD? idk i didn't feel like reading all that provision [expletive].

The poison pill contract, or us signing George?  No to the contract, yes to us signing him...but highly unlikely, because Indiana is not dumb enough to let their all-star restricted free agent walk.

Uhh you're right. But still that Poison Pill Provision is not relevant in this Paul George situation.

And still the poison pill contract can only be offered to second rounders or undrafted with 2 or less years of experience, and have to be restricted.

Never denied what you're saying.  I'm telling you why there's confusion.  The CBA does not describe the contract anywhere, and it's a loophole from the GA Provision that a lot of people have trouble understanding to begin with.  Of course, they could find a way to close it up, but the issue is, when people look to find answers, they go to the most credible source out there.

And nothing is more credible than Larry Coon's CBA FAQ.  Unfortunately, it fails to describe such contracts, but then again, they aren't common.

For those who didn't see your initial post in this topic, oh well...that's where they'll just have to tag along until they figure it out themselves.  I'm simply explaining to you why it's not that big of a deal if people don't understand parts of the CBA.

#93 dmorans24

dmorans24

Rookie

• 39 posts

Posted May 25, 2013 - 03:41 PM

Never denied what you're saying.  I'm telling you why there's confusion.  The CBA does not describe the contract anywhere, and it's a loophole from the GA Provision that a lot of people have trouble understanding to begin with.  Of course, they could find a way to close it up, but the issue is, when people look to find answers, they go to the most credible source out there.

And nothing is more credible than Larry Coon's CBA FAQ.  Unfortunately, it fails to describe such contracts, but then again, they aren't common.

For those who didn't see your initial post in this topic, oh well...that's where they'll just have to tag along until they figure it out themselves.  I'm simply explaining to you why it's not that big of a deal if people don't understand parts of the CBA.

Got it. Acknowledged. 

#94 Lakers4Life

Lakers4Life

Bleeds Purple & Gold

• 3,269 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 25, 2013 - 03:57 PM

Pacers will match stop dreaming. Granger is going to be traded or amnestied or some [expletive] for cap space.

George will demand the max and when it's a max it can't be a "poison type contract". For example Jeremy Lin receives a front loaded 15 million in the first year if NY resigned. With George it's going to be both front loaded and back loaded so it'll start at 15-16 million regardless and end at 18-19 million....

So conclusion: stop dreaming laker fans, do your research first
Laker fan for life.

#95 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,490 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted May 25, 2013 - 04:10 PM

Pacers will match stop dreaming. Granger is going to be traded or amnestied or some [expletive] for cap space.

George will demand the max and when it's a max it can't be a "poison type contract". For example Jeremy Lin receives a front loaded 15 million in the first year if NY resigned. With George it's going to be both front loaded and back loaded so it'll start at 15-16 million regardless and end at 18-19 million....

So conclusion: stop dreaming laker fans, do your research first

what if he doesn't wanna be a pacer anymore...? lmao. happens all the time

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#96 Calisupra2nr

Calisupra2nr

Rookie

• 849 posts

Posted May 25, 2013 - 04:35 PM

It does NOT matter.

Guys, we all need to look to the most recent example to make sense of it: Eric Gordon.

Eric Gordon wanted to go to the Suns as a RFA but even as they tried to give him max, NO matched.  Indiana is very cognizant of all options - including that PG might opt out of an extension and become a RFA.  In which case, they have to be prepared to match ANY type of contract.  There is no way they let him go.

Can we please just move on to other FA's...preferably ones that are not star RFAs... 

#97 dmorans24

dmorans24

Rookie

• 39 posts

Posted May 25, 2013 - 04:51 PM

Pacers cap situation for 2014-2015:

Hibbert 14,898,938

Hill 8,000,000

Mahinmi 4,000,000

Green 3,500,000

Plumlee 1,169,880

Orlando Johnson 915,243

Let's say they sign West for 10M, which in my opinion is too much, and Stephenson for 6M. Also they sign Hansbrough and Augustin for 5M each, again exaggerating.

Total: 58,484,061. And that's with exaggerations.

They could easily resign George to the MAX of 13,668,750 and still be under the tax line, well assuming they don't overpay for the guys mentioned above.

#98 Lakers4Life

Lakers4Life

Bleeds Purple & Gold

• 3,269 posts

Posted May 25, 2013 - 05:20 PM

RFA... 

Laker fan for life.

#99 Lakers4Life

Lakers4Life

Bleeds Purple & Gold

• 3,269 posts

Posted May 25, 2013 - 05:27 PM

7102Wxf.png

Thats indy salary in 2014/15

They have 30 million on the books. you can assume David West is gonna resign for an average of 10 million a year. You can assume that tyler isnt going to get anything over 3 million. Danny Granger will either be let go or traded. Lance Stephenson will get an average of about 6-8 million. 

They are no wear NEAR the salary tax line, theyll resign george to the max with ease. Just stop dreaming guys. Id rather a mod just close this so we dont mislead our members with pipe dreams. 

Edited by Lakers4Life, May 25, 2013 - 05:28 PM.

Laker fan for life.

#100 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,015 posts
  • Name:Will

Posted May 25, 2013 - 05:34 PM

What if he doesn't want to stay in Indy?

Pau Gasol is GONE

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users