Lakers to pursue Paul George in 2014?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
389 replies to this topic

#21 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,221 posts

Posted May 24, 2013 - 09:26 PM

Why would I be that obsessive of passing Celtics in All time ranking? They are gonna be an afterthought for another 20 years while we will continue our tradition and build a contending team. Lebron is not the only solution, is he the best solution for short term? Yes. Is he the best solution for long term? No. 99% of the Lakers fanbase hate Lebron. If they suddenly flip the switch, it would be incredibly awkward and hilarious at the same time, but I wouldn't be part of that.

Give me Paul George and watch him grow.

#22 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,920 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 24, 2013 - 09:27 PM

Not sure if a poison pill contract will work in that case, because for one, it's for a player who has the potential to be a superstar...and two, Indiana won't be drowning in salary.

I mean, Lin and Asik are examples of players you DON'T want to match, if they are given a poison pill offer sheet. Neither are franchise players, and really, it's hard to say that Asik or Lin are legitimate starters on a contender.

The Pacers will be willing to pay him the max, if he's going to reach that potential within the next couple of seasons or so...and it's not like we're going to hand over an offer sheet that bumps his annual to an eventual $25 million.

#23 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,043 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 24, 2013 - 09:30 PM

He's restricted and if he keeps up his play and improvement, I don't see Indiana letting him go that easily.

As per LeBron in 2014, I highly doubt he leaves Miami especially if they win a ring either this season or the next (which is pretty likely). Also if LA loses Dwight this offseason, which is looking more and more likely each day, then he has no reason to come here at 29 to be a part of a rebuilding program. The best bet with him is to resign Dwight, destroy Miami in the finals next season, and then convince him to come over with Kobe agreeing to play another year for much less than 30 million. 

Edited by bfc1125roy, May 24, 2013 - 09:31 PM.

#24 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 40,170 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted May 24, 2013 - 09:33 PM

When it comes to Paul George..

I think Paul George does have that potential, and if we're looking at our wing position. 

When it comes down to LeBron, and Wall and Carmelo. 

I think George would be a logical choice in that 2013-14 off-season.  It wouldn't be the first time we coughed up money like that :)  Especially if he continues to improve.

I think in terms of an investment Paul George is a guy you go for especially when Kobe is about to leave. 

He solves a lot of our defensive problems at the 3, he may need to be more aggressive offensively, but given the synergy defensively he's able to play with a guy like Hibbert, him and Dwight would be a nightmare combo matchup and near the end of the contract he wouldn't be leaving his prime or 2 years potentially past it, he'd be still in it.  I think under the new CBA it's the best we'll be able to do to and he would pair perfectly with Dwight(if he re-signs) if we're looking at a long term solution.   Especially given the 3's coming into the league that year with Andrew Wiggins and Jabari Parker it would probably be wise to get the guy that's one of the best defensive 3s in the league and coming into his prime as well.

If we have Paul George AND Dwight Howard we'd probably be one of the few teams that could counter a guy like Wiggins(depending on how much of his potential he's realized) and George is a guy that can guard Jabari.

Could we potentially be overpaying him?  Probably.   But given his work ethic and how he idolizes Kobe I don't think he'd come here and then slack off, I think he'd be getting better.

The Pacers may not want to let him go but given their 'potential' financial situation if we did go the "poison pill" contract route on George I wouldn't mind in the least scooping him up from them.

I think George would probably be the most "upside" of that free agent 2014 pool and if we were gonna gamble with poison pill contract money, I think he'd be the guy you do it with.  In my opinion anyway.

Edited by Majesty, May 24, 2013 - 09:37 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

• 40,556 posts

Posted May 24, 2013 - 09:35 PM

Lebron is not the only solution, is he the best solution for short term? Yes.

Well I'm glad you could at least admit this. You have satisfied me (no homo).

yo.

#26 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 40,170 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted May 24, 2013 - 09:57 PM

Well I'm glad you could at least admit this. You have satisfied me (no homo).

And this satisfies everyone

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#27 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,348 posts

Posted May 24, 2013 - 10:44 PM

I'd rather have Irving, but George is also good. He's a top 15 player
Posted Image

#28 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,348 posts

Posted May 24, 2013 - 10:46 PM

Not sure if a poison pill contract will work in that case, because for one, it's for a player who has the potential to be a superstar...and two, Indiana won't be drowning in salary.

I mean, Lin and Asik are examples of players you DON'T want to match, if they are given a poison pill offer sheet. Neither are franchise players, and really, it's hard to say that Asik or Lin are legitimate starters on a contender.

The Pacers will be willing to pay him the max, if he's going to reach that potential within the next couple of seasons or so...and it's not like we're going to hand over an offer sheet that bumps his annual to an eventual $25 million.

I agree. It'd have to be a big time screw up by the pacers for us to land him
Posted Image

#29 RobBlake

RobBlake

Off The Bench

• 2,726 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted May 24, 2013 - 10:48 PM

who would you take as a rookie on... mcgrady or paul george?

ap1.png

#30 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,951 posts

Posted May 24, 2013 - 10:49 PM

Zero chance we get him. Indiana is gonna re-sign him and keep him long term

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

• 40,556 posts

Posted May 24, 2013 - 10:52 PM

I'd rather have Irving.

So his injury history already this early in his career including college doesn't concern you much?

yo.

#32 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,848 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted May 24, 2013 - 10:52 PM

No way we can poison pill them because Indiana will match a max contract offer. Paul George is well on his way to being the 3rd best SF in the league, and he's already one of the best two-way players. He's not going anywhere.

#33 Julien

Julien

Rookie

• 1,235 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 24, 2013 - 11:08 PM

I ll get my "George" purple n gold jersey in 2014.
;)

#34 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,884 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted May 24, 2013 - 11:12 PM

I'd rather have Irving, but George is also good. He's a top 15 player

Irving isnt possible though. He wont be a FA in 2014 (team option no way they give him up) and there is no way they will trade him to us. 

#35 TheOriginalCZM

TheOriginalCZM

Rookie

• 823 posts
  • Name:J
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Brian Scalabrine

Posted May 24, 2013 - 11:16 PM

If the Pacers win it all this year, he ain't going no where, and besides...Paul George is basically their star....they'll pay him anything he wants.

Edited by TheOriginalCZM, May 24, 2013 - 11:25 PM.

#36 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,884 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted May 24, 2013 - 11:16 PM

No way we can poison pill them because Indiana will match a max contract offer. Paul George is well on his way to being the 3rd best SF in the league, and he's already one of the best two-way players. He's not going anywhere.

Idk they got a few players on that team that will demand high contracts and also pacers arent really a max contract team. Giving paul a max contract will put them in high 70's or low 80's in payroll. They do not have that good of attendance and they arent exactly making much money. I doubt this team could handle that type of payroll.

#37 androsays

androsays

representing infinity with presidencies

• 4,859 posts
  • Name:andro
  • Fan Since:90s
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted May 24, 2013 - 11:23 PM

And this satisfies everyone

took the contact, AND kept elevating

[expletive]ing monstrous

2div

#38 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,221 posts

Posted May 24, 2013 - 11:31 PM

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:  @ Nameless Poster avatar.

C'Mon Chicano, you can do better.

Also lol @ Irving. Paul George is all around better than him.

#39 BleedPurple&Gold

BleedPurple&Gold

All-Star

• 6,464 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic

Posted May 24, 2013 - 11:57 PM

Oh god I pray! My second fav SG/SF coming to the Lakers :pray: But it wont happen though

Edited by BleedPurple&Gold, May 25, 2013 - 12:06 AM.

9888d4ba-ad6b-4879-93aa-9ef1c6ed1dbd_zps

#40 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,348 posts

Posted May 25, 2013 - 12:09 AM

Irving isnt possible though. He wont be a FA in 2014 (team option no way they give him up) and there is no way they will trade him to us.

So you wait until 2015
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users