Photo

Lakers to pursue Paul George in 2014?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
389 replies to this topic

#1 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 40,195 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted May 24, 2013 - 08:51 PM

Los Angeles Lakers Trade Rumors: Paul George To Lakers In 2014?

USATSI_7268809_154224518_lowres-300x200.

The latest Los Angeles Lakers rumors note that Indiana Pacers forward Paul George could join the squad in the 2014 season.

ESPN Radio 710 hosts Mark Willard and Mychal Thompson brought up this possibility during Thursday's show. While it is unknown if the Lakers will pursue George, they should have ample cap room after next season to make a run at him.

So, what needs to happen for George to be a Laker in two years? George is eligible to get his contract extended after this season from his rookie deal and if he were to decline that offer, which could be for four-years and $40 million, he would become a restricted free-agent in the summer of ’13-14.

George would be a restricted free agent at the time, provided his rookie contract is not extended. He then could test the free agent market in an attempt to get more money, and the Lakers in return could sign him to a poison-pill contract that the Pacers could not match.

And more from another source(2nd link): If George does reject the Pacers offer, the Lakers would be in prime position to offer him a contract as a restricted free agent. To ensure that the Pacers wouldn’t match the offer, the Lakers could put a “poison pill” into the contract, making it detrimental to the Pacers if they were to match the offer.

Read More here: http://www.isportsti...paul-george.htm
And here: http://www.lakersnat...son/2013/05/23/

It seems that it is possible if his rookie contract wasn't extended and he was a restricted free agent by the 2014 off-season.

but... WOW ... that means that if Paul George refuses to extend his rookie contract(which is his choice) in the off-season the Lakers would have enough cap space in 2014 to basically steal him from the Pacers because they could give him a "poison pill" contract the Pacers wouldn't be able to match.

Which basically means if George declines to extend his rookie contract in Indiana our chances of getting him in the 2014 off-season are extremely high because we could make him an offer the Pacers wouldn't be able to match without crippling the team....and thus we'd claim him right from under the Pacers noses.  The advantage of him being "restricted" in 2014 is that we'd be the ones making the offer, and if we make the "poison pill" offer(which we would), the Pacers couldn't match it and we'd claim George.  He's one "restricted" free agent that's team couldn't match our offer.  So if we want him, he's ours basically.

Well THIS certainly made my day!! 

Thoughts?

i'll go out on a limb and say that given this new information, should George choose NOT to extend his rookie contract this off-season, the Lakers will have him in 2014.

:woot:

Edited by Majesty, May 24, 2013 - 09:12 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#2 K0be10-11

K0be10-11

Starter

• 4,495 posts
  • Name:Don't Worry About It
  • Fan Since:Since 2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 24, 2013 - 08:56 PM

I still would take Lebron even though I hate him. But if not, George come to LA :)

Posted Image

• 40,556 posts

Posted May 24, 2013 - 08:56 PM

DAT poison pill.

yo.

#4 Renegade

Renegade

Rookie

• 549 posts
  • Fan Since:1996

Posted May 24, 2013 - 09:01 PM

Can someone explain to me what does a poison pill means? I will be glad to have Paul George who will definitely be a much improved player after one more season.

#5 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,195 posts

Posted May 24, 2013 - 09:03 PM

Can someone explain to me what does a poison pill means? I will be glad to have Paul George who will definitely be a much improved player after one more season.

it means that we could offer so much money that if the Pacers were to match they'd cripple their team, putting them so against the cap they would be unable to make any other moves.

And the Lakers will have enough cap space to make the restricted free agent Paul George an offer the Pacers can't match. 

So it basically means, if Mitch says "I want Paul George" the Pacers have no choice but to give him to us unless they want to cripple their franchise financially.

It is so SWEET!!!

If George doesn't extend his rookie contract this off-season, he'll very likely be in Purple and Gold in the 2013-2014 off-season with nothing the Pacers can do to stop it.. THAT is awesome!!

Edited by Majesty, May 24, 2013 - 09:05 PM.

• 40,556 posts

The answer is clearly right there in the OP's original post. C'mon man.

Anyway, I'd still easily rather we prioritize LeBron first like any smarter mind (no offense), but George could be a nice 2nd or 3rd choice.

yo.

#7 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,222 posts

It'd be a dream to come true.

[expletive] Lebron.

#8 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,554 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted May 24, 2013 - 09:04 PM

Bring in the LA Native if we get the chance. Poise of a superstar in his third year, Kobe-like work ethic, endless desire to win and succeed. D12xPaul George can bring us back to the Kobe-Shaq days or at least close to it. Imagine he developed a post game/turn around shot just like Kobe does.... Kobe could teach him the ways. Also, we can stack up other players nn2014. Endless possibilities...

Edited by Ham, May 24, 2013 - 09:05 PM.

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

• 40,556 posts

Posted May 24, 2013 - 09:05 PM

[expletive] Lebron.

If you're a true Laker fan imo, you try & wanna' do what's absolutely in the best possible interest of the team winning and that by far is LeBron whether you like him or not. You could learn to like him with time once he's actually in the uniform and winning games for us, that is IF you're a Laker fan first & foremost. It's about the team, the franchise.

yo.

#10 Renegade

Renegade

Rookie

• 549 posts
  • Fan Since:1996

Posted May 24, 2013 - 09:05 PM

Kyrie Irving!!!!

• 40,556 posts

Posted May 24, 2013 - 09:06 PM

^ Too injury-prone. Not willing to invest that much money in someone that can't consistently be on the court as much as you'd like.

yo.

#12 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,195 posts

Posted May 24, 2013 - 09:09 PM

If you're a true Laker fan imo, you try & wanna' do what's absolutely in the best possible interest of the team winning and that by far is LeBron whether you like him or not. You could learn to like him with time once he's actually in the uniform and winning games for us, that is IF you're a Laker fan first & foremost. It's about the team, the franchise.

I honestly would rather get a guaranteed signing of Paul George coming into his physical prime other than LeBron who will be starting to exit out of his.  Let Miami sign him to a max contract while we build around George and Dwight if Kobe returns that final year... wow...

It wouldn't even matter that Nash is our point guard defensively because George would be the 3 and Dwight(should he re-sign) would be the 5.

Just imagining a 2,3 and 5 of Kobe, George and Dwight makes the rest of my week!   Knowing how guaranteed it would be makes my year :D

Best part is should George not extend his rookie contract(which if he did would cost him money and a shot at a max contract in 2014) then he's all but guaranteed to become a Laker that off-season cause of the un-matchable contract we can offer him that the Pacers can't match :D

Would rather have a guaranteed entering his prime Paul George over throwing our eggs in the basket for LeBron.  It should be the first move we make that off-season imo.

Edited by Majesty, May 24, 2013 - 09:09 PM.

#13 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,222 posts

Posted May 24, 2013 - 09:10 PM

Cut the crap, nameless poster. I don't bandwagon.

And I only laugh at desperate crying that Lebron is the "savior." No he is [expletive]ing not. If you want future, you go with PAUL GEORGE.

#14 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,426 posts

Posted May 24, 2013 - 09:12 PM

Back load THE [expletive] out his contract  :laughing:

• 40,556 posts

Posted May 24, 2013 - 09:12 PM

Obviously Paul George could potentially be better in the long-term especially for the franchise considering he's 5 years younger than LeBron, but if our goal is to pass the Celtics in all-time championships as soon as possible (or sooner rather than later), LeBron still gives us the best chance of doing that no question (this is assuming of course he doesn't decline too much if at all by the time 2014 rolls around).

yo.

#16 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,222 posts

Posted May 24, 2013 - 09:16 PM

How does poison pill work in max. contracts though? He will probably be eligible for that Super Max.

• 40,556 posts

Posted May 24, 2013 - 09:17 PM

Cut the crap, nameless poster. I don't bandwagon.

And I only laugh at desperate crying that Lebron is the "savior." No he is [expletive]ing not. If you want future, you go with PAUL GEORGE.

Nameless Poster? Sounds like I do have a name, lol.

But let me just ask you a question then. Try to put your admitted total hate for LeBron aside and answer me, do you honestly think having Paul George over LeBron James in 2014 gives us a better chance of immediately or sooner rather than later winning the championship & getting closer to passing those green bastards?

yo.

#18 ツ  

ツ  

All-Star

• 5,723 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted May 24, 2013 - 09:22 PM

this is all a pipe dream tbh.

#19 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,195 posts

But let me just ask you a question then. Try to put your admitted total hate for LeBron aside and answer me, do you honestly think having Paul George over LeBron James in 2014 gives us a better chance of immediately or sooner rather than later winning the championship & getting closer to passing those green bastards?

I think that the Lakers are going to look to build 5 years+ into the future in that off-season.  LeBron would be good for maybe 2 or a few of those.

I think the Lakers are gonna go for the guarantee.  The young defensive player with a work ethic that idolized Kobe Bryant that is on the verge of superstardom. 

I think if the Lakers are building around the young Dwight and the younger George that is what they will go with.

If the Lakers were looking for a win fast mentality they'd bet the barn on LeBron.

But I think these two years "are" the 'win fast' mentality,  By the time the 2014 off-season comes around, it will be about franchise building for a 5+ year run.

And Paul George is the better choice for that.

this is all a pipe dream tbh.

Wouldn't consider it a pipe dream to be honest. PG won't be an unrestricted free agent, he'd be restricted.  if Paul George doesn't extend his rookie contract the Lakers will basically have him in the 2013-2014 off-season.  The Pacers can't match our offer and Paul George would be restricted so he'd have to come to our team.   it's kind of like bidding, and we'd outbid the Pacers on the first attempt.

Basically, we offer him that contract, he's ours, and the Pacers can't do a thing about it.    That's the advantage of him being "restricted" in our favor.

LeBron coming here in 2014 is more of a pipe dream imo.  Paul George because he's a RFA would basically more or less be ours :)  That's the best thing about it ;)

Edited by Majesty, May 24, 2013 - 09:25 PM.

#20 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,426 posts

Can you change your user name to nameless poster? lol 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users