#1 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• 5,897 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Yobe Bryant

Posted May 24, 2013 - 05:00 PM

malone_stockton.jpg

Rules: OLD SCHOOL; no zone defense, hand checking allowed

Stockton & Malone back at at it again. Will Larry Bird and company have enough to take down one of the best 1-2 punches in NBA history?

Edited by Massacre, May 24, 2013 - 06:47 PM.

iyjywo.jpg

#2 Draztik

Draztik

Illmatic

• 8,240 posts
  • Fan Since:1986 - Birth!
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Gasol, Artest

Posted May 24, 2013 - 05:25 PM

We are going old school

21lsbya.jpg
Peep my music at my youtube page here: MUSIC!

#3 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• 5,897 posts

Posted May 24, 2013 - 06:53 PM

Judges

1. L.A.K.E.R
2. Massacre
3. Goku
4. West Coast
5. SuPeRmAoR
6. TKainZero
7. bfc1125roy

Please wait for both game plans before casting votes. Please make sure you evaluate both game plans and give a detailed reason as to why you picked your winner.
iyjywo.jpg

#4 Draztik

Draztik

Illmatic

• 8,240 posts

Posted May 24, 2013 - 08:23 PM

Lineup:

5. Ben Wallace (20mins PT)

4. Karl Malone (40mins PT)

3. Glen Rice (35mins PT)

2. Michael Cooper (40mins PT)

1. John Stockton (35mins PT)

Bench

5. Artis Gilmore (20mins PT)

4. Charles Oakley (8 mins PT) PF/C

3. Dale Ellis (7mins PT) Klay Thompson (6mins PT)

2. David Thompson (8Mins PT) Eddie Jones (8mins PT)

1. Pete Maravich (13mins PT)

Strategy:

Offense: We will run Pick & Rolls with Malone & Stockton (with some pick and pops/slips) Glen Rice will try and keep Larry moving by going around various picks looking to get open spot up shots. Malone will Set the majority of these picks to try and get a switch and then post Bird up using his strength in the block. Cooper will look to cut at the rim without the ball and run on fast breaks. Ben Wallace/Artis Gilmore/Charles Oakley will look to secure rebounds at both ends with most their points coming from put backs. They also will enforce a hard nosed protection of the paint with our wings funneling their players towards them. 

When Pistol comes in we will look to run moving Rice to PF and bringing Dale in to spread/run with Coop. Klay will run the same type of off the ball screens when in and look for open J's. Eddie Jones will give Cooper a break for defensive purposes and look to create his own shot with the bench unit.

Defense:

We will enforce a no layup/dunk mindset with our big men making sure you feel them if you come down to the paint. Bird will be guarded closely by Coop trying to deny him the ball. Whenever someone has the ball at the top of the key we will play close not giving up open J's while funneling them towards our big men.We will allow Baylor to be guarded one on one and if he explodes on O that is ok as long as we give Bird no breathing room and keep everyone else from getting hot.

21lsbya.jpg

#5 Klewfish

Klewfish

Reppin' LA on the East Coast

• 1,458 posts
  • Name:Chris
  • Fan Since:Game 4 of 2000 NBA Finals

Posted May 24, 2013 - 10:12 PM

Alright well since you already posted yours I won't bother sending mine to Mass.

Minutes:

STARTERS:

Mo Cheeks (30)

Elgin Baylor (34)

Larry Bird (34)

Elvin Hayes (32)
Nate Thurmond (30)

BENCH:
Sidney Moncrief (24) at PG/SG

Mitch Richmond (12) at SG/SF

Andrei Kirilenko (12) at SF/PF

Mehmet Okur (10) at PF

Robert Parish (18) at C

Nick Van Exel (4) at PG

Buck Williams (situational)

Offensive Gameplan:

Every one of my starters can create their own offense, so I am going to run a lot of isolation sets to exploit mismatches.

1. Right off the bat I am noticing a major mismatch in my favor. I have two of the most talented scorers in NBA history at SG/SF with Baylor/Bird, and he has only one Michael Cooper to guard them, while Rice is a liability on defense. Both Bird and Baylor had exceptional post up games so I plan on posting up whoever is guarded by Cooper. I assume he will have Rice on Bird and Cooper on Baylor, but if it is the other way around I feel that gives me an even bigger advantage. Bird can post up Cooper, who he outweighs 50 lbs. Elgin Baylor is too creative and quick to be bothered by Rice. My main offense will be iso's with these two.

3. Elvin Hayes is one of the top scorers in NBA history for a reason. Karl Malone was as well. One of the best ways to slow down a great scorer is to make him work on defense. That's why it is going to be important to get the ball into Elvin Hayes, especially on the baseline. He will get post-up opportunities on Malone, and open midrange baseline jumpers from Baylor's penetration. Hayes' turnaround jumper was said to be as certain as death and taxes, and I don't see Karl Malone (or Ben Wallace) being able to stop it. But most importantly it's making Malone work on defense.

Overall I really plan on getting shots close to the basket as they lack great height around the rim, and Ben Wallace is their only shotblocking presence, but Hayes and Thurmond can lure him out of the paint since they were capable of hitting 10-15ft shots.  I also have great offensive rebounders to crash the glass and get 2nd opportunities. Since he chose old school rules with no zones, my iso-offense will work since they won't be able to play a zone.

Off the bench I plan on keeping it a little more uptempo and team oriented. Moncrief can create for himself and others, Mitch Richmond was a great scorer. Andrei Kirilenko will be used as a slasher and finisher around the rim, and Parish was a great post presence and one of the best ever at running the court for a big man. Mehmet Okur will be a critical element off the bench to lure Oakley or Gilmore away from the rim, as Okur was a real threat from behind the line (38% 3PT shooter), which will give room for Moncrief and Richmond room to get to the rim. Parish was best known for his high-arching, midrange shot as well, so I will be able to get their physical interior defenders away from the rim. I really want to spread the court, and give the guards room to penetrate and kick to the three-point shooters or midrange shots for Parish.

Defense

ASSIGNMENTS

Cheeks on Stockton

Bird on Cooper

Baylor on Rice

Hayes on Malone

Thurmond on Wallace

Defensively is really where this team is going to excel. Since we know they are going to run pick-n-rolls with Stockton and Malone, our main goal is going to be slowing that down. Since Ben Wallace is not an offensive option, Nate Thurmond will be used to rotate on a rolling Malone. Thurmond is one of the most underrated defenders of all-time, but is easily a top 5 defensive anchor in NBA history. I'm going to want our wings to chase defenders off the three point line and funnel them towards Hayes and Thurmond who were great shotblockers. Since Cooper's only threat on the offensive end is from the 3pt line, I will have Bird guard him to keep him fresh on offense, and his only defensive assignment will be chasing Cooper off the line, same with Baylor on Rice. 

As far as addressing the pick and roll specifically, Mo Cheeks was all-team 1st defense, and Sidney Moncrief was 2x DPOY and should be able to harrass Stockton. With Cooper and Wallace not being offensive threats, Bird and Thurmond can help rotations to funnel Stockton and Malone where we want them to go, which will limit the effectiveness of their pick and roll. 

Off the bench we have some of the greatest individual defenders in Moncrief and Kirilenko, and Parish was a great presence down low as well. They can all rebound, especially offensively and would really help neutralize the Pistol Pete fastbreak attack he will probably try to use coming off the bench. I know Lebron gets credit for it, but Moncrief was one of the first to start using the "chase-down" to get blocks from behind on the fast-break and Kirilenko is fully capable of getting back on D as well. With all the three point shooters they have, again it's going to be the wings responsibility to chase them off the line. Moncrief and Kirilenko should excel at not only chasing them off the line, but being able to recover and still play good D on a drive.

4th Quarter

How many guys would you rather have in the game at the end other than Larry Bird? Easy enough. If we're down and need a defensive stop at the end Nate Thurmond is in, if we're on offensive or the other team is fouling then he will be taken out in favor of Okur, the better FT shooter. If we need a steal I can play Cheeks/Moncrief/Kirilenko/Hayes/Thurmond who are gonna get all up in your face and make you make a mistake.

WHY I WIN

Offensively, Baylor/Bird/Hayes were some of the best scorers at their respective position, and the Isotopes just don't have the defenders to stop them. Off the bench I have multiple guys who can create their own shot, and a great offensive gameplan that suits the talent I have off the bench. And again off the bench they lack the defenders at the guard/SF positions to stop my wingmen from getting into the paint, and with big men that can shoot from outside, Isotopes will have to decide whether they want to pack the paint with Gilmore and Oakley or leave guys like Parish and Okur open.

Defensively, I have great individual defenders, especially at PG and PF where the Isotopes are going to try and run their offense through, and a great defensive anchor to clean up all the mistakes which should severely limit their pick and roll game. Off the bench I have the versatility to play a slow down game or fast pace with guys that can play multiple positions. They have too many players that are offensively challenged like Cooper, Oakley and especially Ben Wallace which will allow my defenders to help on their offensive threats. As I said with Wallace's offensive incompetence, Thurmond will be able to excel even more as a help defender.

Rebounding game I should win, Nate Thurmond and Elvin Hayes were some of the best rebounders EVER, and Baylor/Bird both averaged double-digit rebounds. Off the bench I still have great rebounders in Parish, Buck Williams and Kirilenko/Moncrief are great rebounders from the wing.

Versatility, it was really important to have guys that could contribute in multiple ways so that guys can contribute in one way or another even if they aren't being used as a primary offensive option. No one can be doubled on my team because someone else will beat you. Defensively I've got guys that can guard multiple positions.

Toughness/Effort- I've got guys that squeezed every ounce of talent that God gave them. They gave 110% every second on the court and made you work for everything. Some of the best competitors that ever played, and that is the biggest reason why I would win. Guys like Nate Thurmond, Moncrief, Kirilenko, Hayes and Bird made their careers off of effort, and were lucky to pair that effort with insane talent.

Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.

#6 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• 5,897 posts

Posted May 26, 2013 - 10:57 AM

Game 1

Isotopes game plan is to run the pick and roll. Bigheads game plan is built around stopping that. Bird will not be involved so Malone can not take advantage of him the post. Cooper is not enough to contain both Elgin and Bird in the 4th quarter.

Stockton and Malone make it a close game in the 4th, but the deficit is too large to overcome as the Bigheads strategy leads to an early game blowout the Isotopes can't recover from. Right off the bat, they know what they're running and they have multiple options.

I need to see an effective counter strategy to the Bigheads stopping the pick and roll and I also need to see how you will stop Bird and Elgin.

Game 1 goes to the Beoheim Bigheads in an upset.
iyjywo.jpg

#7 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• 5,897 posts

Posted May 29, 2013 - 10:02 PM

L.A.K.E.R
Goku
West Coast
SuPeRmAoR
TKainZero
bfc1125roy

Need your vote guys.
iyjywo.jpg

#8 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,859 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 29, 2013 - 11:29 PM

I'll get around to voting tomorrow evening after I'm done with my Final. I'll get to the other matches as well.

#9 SuPeRmAoR

SuPeRmAoR

TLN's ballerist

• 2,476 posts
  • Name:Maor
  • Fan Since:4 years old
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe,Magic

Posted May 30, 2013 - 07:21 PM

Game 2, Springfield Isotopes take it by 11

jpg2mw.jpg

"Dante Exum will be an NBA All Star by the 2018 NBA Season" - Supermaor23 3/10/14

#10 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,428 posts

Posted May 30, 2013 - 07:54 PM

Offensively, Beoheim Bigheads is just too much to contain for the entire game.  Mix that offensive production with the effort those players give on the court at all times, this is a classic case of dirty work getting the job done. 

Beoheim Bigheads take the game

#11 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,859 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted May 30, 2013 - 08:57 PM

I'm kind of confused by this voting process.

Are we assuming that this is some series and first one to take 4 games wins? The way I thought judging would go is that both players would present their gameplans, counter eachother, then we'd step in to vote. Judges would ask questions, point out flaws, then player would make adjustments and explain how they'd deal with it. They'd ultimately make the case for why their team prevails in a particular match-up, then we'd vote and give a final tally. That's what I thought was the process.

#12 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• 5,897 posts

Posted May 30, 2013 - 09:25 PM

What you're thinking is correct.

I shouldn't have labeled my vote as Game 1, that was a mistake. First one to 4 votes will win though, technically, because there are 7 votes.

It's fine to treat each vote as a "game" that's all I was doing since managers do have the option of making adjustments, like in an actual series. But making predictions such as how many points this player will score on the road or how much this team will win by is looking too much into it.

Edited by Massacre, May 30, 2013 - 09:25 PM.

iyjywo.jpg

#13 Draztik

Draztik

Illmatic

• 8,240 posts

Posted May 31, 2013 - 09:51 AM

Adjustments

Offense: Karl is one of the greatest scorers in the history of the NBA and strong enough to hold his own. We'll run fewer pick & rolls and have him post up his man for his usual fadeaways/post moves or face up and look to score. If a double or helper is sent the ball will be sent out of the post and swung to the open man. 

Glen Rice will be given more freedom as one of the best shooters in his prime and allowed to create his own shot more often. He'll still come off many screens, the plan was always to keep Bird moving on defense so when he is on offense his legs are getting more tired as the game goes on. All screens he comes off of will be hard screens to make sure Bird feels every elbow.

Stockton will be used more offensively with one of the most underrated strokes in the League. He'll look to put up quick J's on transistion and come of his own screens without the ball for some 3's. If you double Malone with his man he'll make you pay as well.

Defense: 

We will look to shut everyone down and let Bird go off. We'll play tight ball denial defense on everyone else making BIrd not only use as much energy on D running around screens but also on O. If he has the stamina for it and explodes so be it. When it comes to Baylor we'll look to trap him anytime he receives the ball in the wing.

Why I Win:

We have too much talent offensively to be stopped for 4 full quarters. You somehow slow Malone down? We have Glen Rice, Eddie Jones, etc who can create shots off the dribble. Then we have one of the best Point Guards in the history of the NBA running the show. Even without a pick & roll he knows how to find the open guy and make players perform better than you'd expect (see Byron Russel, Jeff Hornaceck). Don't forget about our bench players in Ellis & Thompson who are not afraid to shoot and will bring a constant to the offense even with the starters resting.

On Defense we are going to make sure everyone feels the enforcers Wallace, Oakley & Gillmore. There will be no easy drives to the hoop, no backing down on the block & no uncontested shots. Our biggest strength is still on the offensive end so we won't bother doubling anyone and just make sure we are getting our hands up on shots and playing hard D. We will focus on ball denial on everyone like I said and make Bird work very hard for not just [expletive] shot but even trying to find anyone. Our main focus will be on getting that defensive board and hitting that outlet pass to get back on offense quickly and with the other team on their heels. 

21lsbya.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users