Photo

What moment(s) made you a dedicated Lakers / Magic / Kobe fan?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 jax24

jax24

Starter

• 876 posts
  • Name:Jax
  • Fan Since:1979
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 24, 2013 - 01:08 PM

My time as a Laker supporter has been quite interesting. As a young kid, Magic and the Showtime Lakers absolutely captured my attention. I remember just being so intrigued by the flashy style and charisma they played with. More importantly they were also winners as well.
Weirdly i was also a fan of the Celtics as well, mainly due to Bird and his shooting ability, but also because they were the complete opposite of the Lakers. No flashiness, fundamentals and hard grind. As a kid I didn't realize the huge rivalry they had before the 80s. However the Lakers were the reason for me not only becoming a fan of basketball but wanting to play the game. I still remember to this day all my Lakers gears I had like Caps, Jerseys, Videos etc. Anyway after Magic had to retire I was so shocked and sad. Losing him was so tough. I really lost some of my love of the Lakers when that happened. While I still followed the Lakers from that point on till the 2000 championship, I wouldn't say I was a supporter. While I was a fan of Jordan, I really became a big Barkley fan after Magic retired. Because of that I became a Suns fan and then Houston fan during the 9 year lull the Lakers went through. As I said I still followed the Lakers during those Ceballos, Van Exel, E Jones era but I wouldn't say I was a fan. Moving on to the 2000 Conference Finals Game 7. This is where my dedication to the Lakers was re ignited and has never wavered since. The funny thing is I had been so disappointed with how the Lakers had failed the last couple seasons before that. I actually wanted Portland to win as I felt they deserved too also having the best record that year. Anyway with the Lakers down big in that last quarter I was thinking serves you guys right, you're going to choke again. Then when Kobe lobbed it to Shaq ..........BAMN!!!! My love for the Lakers was back in one play. I had always been a huge Shaq fan but for me that was when Kobe became great for me. Ever since then through the ups and the downs I have been dedicated to this team. I still laugh to myself when I think it took me hating my team, and them pulling that huge comeback Game 7 win to get me to the point I'm at now. Some may look at my story and think I just jumped on the bandwagon. I don't care because this was the journey I had to take to become the fan I am now. I liken my Laker love to that of a soul mate. When I first saw the Lakers I fell in love. When Magic retired I lost that I went around the block so to speak and tried other partners out lol. I even built a hatred towards them. But in the end they showed me why I loved them in the 1st place. Because they are winners and champions!!! LAKERS 4 EVER.

Edited by jax24, May 24, 2013 - 01:12 PM.

#22 Lagunero

Lagunero

☑ Nash ☑ Howard - Win Championship ☐

• 1,617 posts
  • Fan Since:98
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe, Kareem, Shaq.

Posted May 24, 2013 - 02:28 PM

when i met the lakers team in 1998. got tickets to see them because i did good in school. :laughing:

but i started watching them i believe in 96. my dad always used to talk about kareem and how bad ass his hook shot was, how he dominated the game in his time.

Posted Image

#23 lakersince75

lakersince75

Rookie

• 1,355 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted May 26, 2013 - 05:27 AM

When Kareem was traded to the Lakers almost 40 years ago. I was a Lew Alcinder fan in the 3rd grade. When Kareem was traded so was I. I was the only kid in High School at 5'9" to score 29 points using a Sky Hook (didn't exactly come from the sky) but it's still effective against taller players to this day as I play in a 40 yr and older Rec League. I was such a Kareem fan that I did everything except become Muslim. By the way, my dad is an EFFIN Celtic fan 

Edited by lakersince75, May 26, 2013 - 05:28 AM.

#24 Lakers4Life

Lakers4Life

Bleeds Purple & Gold

• 3,269 posts
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted May 26, 2013 - 06:12 AM

my brother got me into it around 1999 and he liked Shaq. I immediately favoured Kobe, and then from there I just got stuck into it. Now I love the Lakers too much. Its annoying being a fanatic but I love it all the same haha. 

Laker fan for life.

#25 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,717 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted May 26, 2013 - 08:49 AM

It's funny when people talk about team vs player.
Take MJ off Bulls, and no one cares.

Similarly. Had Kobe, Magic and Jerry West not been Lakers, this franchise would be like every other.

#26 xinxin87

xinxin87

Rookie

• 44 posts
  • Name:Mannix
  • Fan Since:1979
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted May 26, 2013 - 10:23 AM

Magic's 42pt game in game 6 of the 80 Finals. That was it. Very happy to have witnessed how 10 of the 16 rings were won by the franchise.

#27 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,115 posts
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted May 26, 2013 - 10:24 AM

Always liked the Lakers and was drawn to the Lakers...

The first actual Lakers game I remember watching was the series between the Pistons...

and I just rolled with them after that.. and I was always a fan of Kobe's competitive attitude and the Lakers mentality towards "championship or bust"

It matches my competitive attitude

#28 Red September

Red September

Your Future Ex

• 2,681 posts
  • Name:Mehran
  • Fan Since:early 2000ish
  • Fav. Laker:Who ever has that number 24`

Posted May 27, 2013 - 08:23 PM

Game 2 of the 2004 NBA Finals. 

Man I promise, I'm so self conscious, That's why you always see me with at least one of my watches - Kanye West

#29 cmelo81

cmelo81

Rookie

• 7 posts
  • Name:carmelo
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted May 27, 2013 - 09:06 PM

preseason 97 when Kobe dunked on Ben Wallace. ..saw it by chance on nba action ... followed Kobe since then

#30 5thDroog

5thDroog

Kapow!

• 14,726 posts
  • Fav. Laker:24,32,33,44,13,22,16,34,5,2

Posted May 29, 2013 - 08:48 AM

bred to be a Laker fan in a Celtic fan family. My granpa's the only Laker fan in our clan. Though, i'd occasionally would watch Orlando/Grant Hill before, but the moment that they drafted Kobe made me a Laker zealot

#31 serenityy

serenityy

Off The Bench

• 1,897 posts
  • Fan Since:1995
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 29, 2013 - 11:25 AM

2000 playoffs was my first time actually sitting through whole games.

#32 MAMBA24ILL

MAMBA24ILL

Pray for the bear.

• 9,336 posts
  • Fan Since:80's
  • Fav. Laker:MAMBA, MAGIC, NICK VAN EXEL

Posted May 29, 2013 - 11:34 AM

First of all, if you got to see Magics 42 point game as a center in the Finals, you are so dam lucky. It's the reason he's the GOAT to me. Being able to play 1-5 is unheard of. Let alone by a rookie. 

It's a wonder i'm not a Celtic fan. One day as a kid in the mid 80's, I was playing with my lil bro & sis running around the house. A basketball game was on & all you could hear was Bird this, Bird that! Next thing you know we were running around calling each other Bird! I took a minute to stop & watch some of the game & was hooked. Seeing Magic lead the break & Worthy's baseline spin move & I was a Lakers fan. I thought James & Kareem were brothers cause of the goggles. 

I've gone on to make my mother, sister, & my son big Lakers fans. 

Seeing Magic's announcement was the saddest thing ever. I didn't totally know what he had, but I knew it was bad. 

Edited by MAMBA24ILL, May 29, 2013 - 11:38 AM.

veqdeg.jpg

#33 apimentel24

apimentel24

Rookie

• 72 posts
  • Name:ToyoLaker
  • Fan Since:1983

Posted May 29, 2013 - 12:28 PM

Being an 80's baby..didn't get to really watch the Showtime Lakers (Wish I had) so the singular moment for me was the pass from Kobe to Shaq in the first title run against Portland.

Shaq.jpg

I had been following the Lakers since Sedale Threatt, Van Exel, Ceballos, Eddie Jones but that moment made me say I love this team and live and die with them!!

Everything negative - pressure, challenges - is all an opportunity for me to rise. - Kobe Bryant

#34 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,759 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted May 29, 2013 - 12:58 PM

My family was always full of Lakers fans, but I never really paid much attention to them until the 2000 Finals, specifically Game 4 where it went into OT and Shaq fouled out. I became a die-hard after we lost to the Pistons when Kobe was the only major piece left. Those 1st round losses to the Suns only made me more dedicated to watching them.

Being in LA, the Lakers are obviously the talk of the town, but in those times (since we sucked) there weren't anywhere near as many bandwagoners. Actually liked it better then from a fan perspective since most people who were repping the Lakers were legitimate fans. I loved when we won in '09 and '10, but the sheer number of bandwagoners we had was annoying.

#35 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,772 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted May 29, 2013 - 01:17 PM

Afro kobe vs the sixers in the finals is when I really became a kobe fan. Hell he made me a basketball fan

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#36 Game

Game

Your Daddy

• 10,517 posts
  • Fan Since:Late '80s

Posted May 29, 2013 - 05:12 PM

moved to LA in 89 from detroit in 89(pistons won the championship that year, and had just started really watching basketball and saw how detroit was when the pistons finally got one.  my dad (like me, born in detroit) was a pistons fan, and i wanted to do something different so when we arrived in inglewood, on 108th st.  turned out it was only a couple miles from the forum, and i was sold after driving by that thing and seeing it in person as a kid...

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users