Photo

What moment(s) made you a dedicated Lakers / Magic / Kobe fan?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,854 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted May 23, 2013 - 07:08 PM

A few pop in my head.

Robert Horry's 3 vs Kings.

Comeback win vs Dallas down 25 in the 4th

Kobe sinks the buzzer beater(s) against the Trailblazers and pushes us into First in the Western Division.

For me it was another game against Portland. A "down" year for the Lakers. We had the best player in the world as our number one but we were on a 7 game losing streak the worst of Phil Jackson's career.

The MAMBA went for 65. The last shots, or that 4th quarter in general. I was at work watching and we won that game barely, and from THAt moment forward, I could not view myself ever missing out on a Laker game again. THAT was the ultimate moment for me, as  a Laker fan.

it's why I come to this forum and others. Its why I tweet Mason and Ireland whenever they talk down to the Lakers. I really fell in love with the Lakers after that moment.

#2 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,848 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted May 23, 2013 - 07:20 PM

Magic's rookie all 5 position game roped me in.

Then the championship run in 82 hooked me for good.

#3 KobeBeef24

KobeBeef24

O' Canada!

• 1,247 posts
  • Fan Since:2007
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, MWP, Swaggy P, LO, Pau

Posted May 23, 2013 - 07:27 PM

Living in the East coast as a young kid, I wasn't able to watch many Lakers games, but I became a fan when I saw them lose to the Celtics in the finals. At that time, I was just getting into basketball and I idolized Kobe. Started playing basketball in high school, used his work ethic to inspire myself, and by my last year, I was MVP at my school. Now that I'm a bit older now I stay up until 1-2am to watch games. I'm glad I got to see them win back-to-back because I was actually in LA for the 3peat, but I was 8 and didn't know anything. I even had a Kobe #8 Champion brand jersey hahaha. I love the team, I love this forum, I love the Purple & Gold.

#4 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,122 posts

Posted May 23, 2013 - 07:41 PM

When I was a little kid, there was this one channel that the Lakers we almost always on ( I think it was Fox ). So as I continue to watch them and grow older, I guess they just became "my team". After a while and by watching them for a long time, I started caring for them. I always feel like [expletive] after they lose.

With Kobe, same thing. I grew up watching him. 

Regarding Magic, I know he is a "Laker legend" but man, I am starting to lose respect for this guy. All he does is bash the Lakers, pokes at Jim Buss, and thinks he knows everything. Oh yeah, this is the same dude that said he was embarrassed to be a Laker.

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#5 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 2,993 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted May 23, 2013 - 07:42 PM

I am from LA, my sitter watched the games and I believe her family were die hard fans so they always bragged about its history, like they made the team seem golden literally. I just thought how awesome that were I lived was represented by this magnificent team. It caused some confusion when the Rockets won though that year lol.

But as far as memorable moments, that Game 7 vs Portland In 2000. I was just frustrated at the Lakers lost that lead. And then they held on, I remember Shaq was playing averagely and then Kobe throws the lob pass for Shaq's dunk. To me it always seemed like they could overcome any obstacle. Somehow those 2004 Finals are extremely bitter, like the 2008 was a bummer, but 2004 was crushing.

#6 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Just A Fan

• 3,190 posts
  • Name:JP
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted May 23, 2013 - 07:42 PM

1984.... Just started playing basketball. I heard it was an nba player named Jamal Silk Wilkes... That's my middle name. ........ Then I saw Magic, met him in person twice and shook his hand..... Been bleeding purple and gold ever since
Posted Image

#7 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,854 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted May 23, 2013 - 08:09 PM

Love the moments. I watched the Lakers far before that moment and was a fan. A big one.

But as I said, after the 65 point performance, both Kobe and the magic of the Lakers, was FOREVER a part of me

#8 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,462 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted May 23, 2013 - 09:44 PM

Kobe to Shaq oop in Game 7

#9 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,035 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 23, 2013 - 10:15 PM

2004 finals game 5 loss to the Pistons actually. That's what really made me a dedicated fan because I knew things were falling apart but I wanted to see LA regroup and get back to that championship level again. 

Edited by bfc1125roy, May 23, 2013 - 10:17 PM.

#10 Drazard

Drazard

The Death Bringer

• 1,748 posts
  • Name:Drazard

Posted May 23, 2013 - 10:21 PM

When I was a child my dad watching a basketball game then he pointed that this guy (Kobe Bryant) was a talented player and I was like *.* and since that day I become his worshiper lmao.

33bkfif.jpg

#11 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,263 posts
  • Fan Since:1986
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 23, 2013 - 10:24 PM

kobes rookie season, when he had the balls to take the big shots... as a 19 year old rookie in the playoffs...

That's it...

I got laker memories from before, like Magic getting ejecting during his comeback season...

old nick van exel, eddie jones, Ceballos and Divac days...

I like the lakers even before they got kobe, but, kobe made me love the lakers...

and kobe has been the best...

#12 Blax

Blax

Rookie

• 519 posts
  • Name:Blax
  • Fan Since:1991
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Threatt, Rodman

Posted May 23, 2013 - 10:41 PM

93 Western Conf Quarter Finals Game 1, Sedale caught fire (I think he scored 34 or 35) and lit up the Barkley led Suns.   

#13 j0k3r

j0k3r

Rookie

• 295 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Shaq, KOBE

Posted May 24, 2013 - 01:11 AM

born into the family as a fan (grandpa is the biggest fan!)

also when kobe and shaq dominated the kings..fun games..

best moment that i still remember that hooked me was the fisher's 0.4 sec shot..i ran around like a million times after watching that game

#14 Michaelyumm

Michaelyumm

Quick & Easy

• 10,317 posts
  • Fan Since:93
  • Fav. Laker:Javaris Crittenton

Posted May 24, 2013 - 01:19 AM

I remember my first Laker game that I watched on TV, it was winter of 1996 and I remember seeing Nick Van Exel make an alley oop pass to Shaq. That was the turning point, I was only 3 yrs old and Idk how I remembered that but I did!

I also used to always sleep with my Laker jersey on when i was a kid!

I had Shaq, Van Exel, Jones, Kobe, Fox, and I think I had Horry!

#15 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,694 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted May 24, 2013 - 01:54 AM

Born into the family of Lakers fans.  Was always a Lakers fan growing up. 

I was a Michael Jordan fan and a Magic Johnson fan, but I was a Lakers fan, I wasn't a Bulls fan I was a Michael Jordan and Phil Jackson fan.

Then when the Lakers got the Bulls coach Phil Jackson AND Dennis Rodman and Ron Harper, I was sure that I was some child that was put in a life pod somewhere where all my dreams would come true if I thought them hard enough.   Because I felt like I was getting everything I loved from the Bulls success but with the Lakers which was my favorite team :D So it wasn't a very long transition period for me.  I grew up on Magic Johnson and Michael Jordan and Phil Jackson.

In many ways it's a lot of what I knew in terms of basketball growing up. 

When I was very young.. I just "assumed" that it was meant to be the Bulls vs the Jazz every year.  Not even understanding the season or things like that, I just felt like all teams (except the Lakers) were "there" and that the end was always gonna be the Bulls vs the Jazz, those are my most vivid memories.

But I always loved the Lakers, but the moment that really solidified me was their comeback against the Trailblazers and Scottie Pippen.

My dad couldn't be home that day so I had phone duties to stay on the phone with him while that entire game was going on while he was at work.

When Kobe made that pass to Shaq who slam dunked it I leapt from one edge of my bed and dropped an Owen Hart elbow drop on my Hollywood Hogan stuffed wrestling figure.  (I was a wrestling fan) I was so happy my mom had to take the phone and explained what happened.

From that point on I took Lakers games personally whenever we lost.   Whether I felt it was the refs that caused it or otherwise.

I remember very specifically when the Warriors came back and beat us because of some messed up calls down the stretch of a game we had in hand.   Watching the celebration and hearing the biased announcers etc from that moment on I put a "hit" out on the warriors in my mind, and swore if I ever made it to the professional level and played against the Warriors that I would make them pay for it and went straight outside and practiced more on my game until it got too cold outside that I HAD to come in(because I stormed out of the house so fast I forgot a sweater).

I miss those times :)

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#16 Miggs

Miggs

16x CHAMPS

• 2,280 posts
  • Name:Miguel
  • Fan Since:1988 Finals
  • Fav. Laker:Showtime,Shaq and Kobe

Posted May 24, 2013 - 09:21 AM

88 finals

#17 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,130 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted May 24, 2013 - 09:34 AM

I am a Lakers fan first and formost. Players come and go but franchise stays.  Magic and Kobe are just icing on the cake for me.  Started watching them when I was just 5 in the 80's.  Obviously you can call me a bandwagoner during the 80's when I was just 5 since lakers winning and they are always on tv.  When Magic made that hook shot and beat boston, that was when I was a fan. ever since then, i never root for any other basketball team besides lakers. And it will stay that way until the day I die.

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#18 b.diddy2417

b.diddy2417

Rookie

• 298 posts
  • Name:Brian
  • Fan Since:since i was 5

Posted May 24, 2013 - 10:06 AM

Kobe to Shaq oop in Game 7

#19 manaro90

manaro90

Sixth Man

• 3,320 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic, Nick Young

Posted May 24, 2013 - 10:16 AM

no real moment

i became a lakers fan in 2000 when i was a kid..

a real kobe fan i became in 2005 when he played his heart out for LA!

Germanys Craziest & Finest LA Lakers Fan #Manaro90

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

#20 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&#

• 23,090 posts
  • Name:Kyler Hay
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Nash.Young, Farmar

Posted May 24, 2013 - 10:31 AM

the season after Shaq left. all of the sudden I was like the Lakers play tonight and ever since the 05-06 season I became a dedicated fan, but I still have glimpses of me watching them play before then 

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users