24 replies to this topic

#1 Nirvana

Nirvana

Come as you are

• 5,534 posts

Posted November 01, 2008 - 05:24 AM

Group II: Field goal flukes

Sasha Vujacic, Lakers
Talk about a jump in shooting percentages. In his first three pro seasons, Vujacic shot 36.5 percent on long 2-pointers and 34.3 percent on 3s; last season, he made 45.2 percent of his long 2s and 43.7 percent of his 3s. The truth on Vujacic likely lies somewhere in between the two extremes. It means he'll continue to have value but won't match the type of numbers he put up last season. A preseason ankle problem and a possible loss of minutes to Trevor Ariza are other factors working against him.

Derek Fisher, Lakers
Fisher's first season back in L.A. was quite a turnaround, as he hit 45.3 percent of his 2s after making 41.1 percent over the previous three seasons; his 43.6 percent overall shooting mark was his best in half a decade. In fact, he was nearly a Fluke Rule qualifier. Given that he's 34, that his shooting mark is likely to return to earth and that Jordan Farmar is breathing down his neck for playing time, he's a good candidate to see his numbers regress this season.

Group V: Bigs with bigs

Pau Gasol, Lakers
I've written about this plenty already, but the return of Andrew Bynum is going to make things a lot harder for Gasol offensively. He's going to lose a lot of low-post touches to Bynum, and while he's an effective high-post player, he's a lot more dangerous when he's on the block. People don't really think of him as a go-to post guy because of his skinny frame, but he is; that aspect of his game now will take a back seat.

http://sports.espn.g...ine-Team-081031
Kurt Cobain - "Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are."

#2 GinzyVee

GinzyVee

Clutch

• 1,969 posts
  • Fan Since:1991
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 01, 2008 - 05:46 AM

thats alot of BS i dont believe them

#3 JEN

JEN

Legend

• 27,038 posts

Posted November 01, 2008 - 06:18 AM

Why ESPN gotta be so negative alotta times? :P

#4 Nirvana

Nirvana

Come as you are

• 5,534 posts

Posted November 01, 2008 - 06:25 AM

Why ESPN gotta be so negative alotta times? :P

Only analyst I like from ESPN is Stephen A Smith.
Kurt Cobain - "Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are."

#5 Icker

Icker

Hall Of Fame

• 8,927 posts

Posted November 01, 2008 - 06:36 AM

It only has been 2 games, how can they make that assumption :lol:

#6 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 5,919 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted November 01, 2008 - 06:39 AM

Almost everyone on the Lakers will see his production decline this season.

The only two likely to not have production declines are Trevor Ariza and Chris Mihm. Bynum is sort of a toss-up.

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#7 Black Sheep

Black Sheep

God

• 3,749 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted November 01, 2008 - 06:43 AM

Only analyst I like from ESPN is Stephen A Smith.

why? :unsure:

#8 netlord

netlord

Flying high

• 10,652 posts
  • Name:Alexi
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 01, 2008 - 07:02 AM

And Pau is playing as good as ever...
Posted Image

#9 Grandpa Herman

Grandpa Herman

Guru

• 3,756 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Lamar Odom

Posted November 01, 2008 - 07:12 AM

I agree with what they said about Fisher and half agree on Farmar, but if you've seen the first 2 games and couple of the preseason games you'd know that he couldn't be more wrong about Pau.

First of all, Bynum is still in the process of getting back to the player he was last season, Phil doesn't have his big [expletive] out there to score 25 points. If anything all he wants from him for at least the immediate future is to be our defensive anchor, rebound, and provide at least a little offensive relief. Pau is automatically gonna score and average more points than him because he has more space to operate than he does when he's in the post.

So far all you've really seen from Bynum is alley oops and easy buckets around/in the paint, while Pau has actually had to work for his points. Thing is, he's more free than he was last season with so much attention on Bynum and Kobe. He might lead us in scoring as often as Kobe does.

That's the benefit you get from actually watching and observing instead of looking at box scores and making assumptions. Somebody needs to tell ESPN that the season is underway now, you can actually WATCH the teams play and give analysis instead of predictions.
Basketball Reasons...

#10 magicbalala245

magicbalala245

Call Me Mr. Clutch or Mr. Automatic

• 3,456 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born in '91
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Magic, Lamar

Posted November 01, 2008 - 08:04 AM

guys the biggest laker hater wrote the article it's John Hollinger
Posted Image

#11 BadScooter

BadScooter

Rookie

• 600 posts

Posted November 01, 2008 - 08:05 AM

I'm pretty sure this was written before the first two games and wasn't edited and posted until after.

I can see his reasoning with Fish, since last year was a statistical anomaly compared to the rest of his career, but I don't agree about Sasha and Pau.

Pau's stats won't be what they were during his early years in Memphis, since he's no longer the best player on a bad team, but he'll probably put up better numbers for us this year than he did last year.

Sasha's stats last year aren't an anomaly like Fisher since he's a younger player who is developing, so in theory his stats should continue to improve. The only thing he's correct about is the injury limiting his effectiveness (esp. early) and Ariza (and the new rotations) affecting his minutes.

#12 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts
  • Name:LA Pharaoh
  • Fan Since:In Los Angeles, LA fandom is a birthrite
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba and Magic

Posted November 01, 2008 - 08:06 AM

production means less to most than effectiveness...all these players will be effective as ever
Again - this team, as currently constructed won't make it out of the second round of the playoffs, let alone the West or win the Finals.---fido on 2011 Lakers

#13 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,377 posts

Posted November 01, 2008 - 09:14 AM

It only has been 2 games, how can they make that assumption :lol:

My thoughts exactly. I don't get the piece on Sasha though. Yes his ankle injury is going set him back just a little bit. But I dont get what Trevor Ariza has to do with Sasha losing minutes. Ariza is a SF, Sasha is a SG/PG on the Lakers.

#14 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,795 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted November 01, 2008 - 09:20 AM

Never pay attention to BSPN :unsure:

#15 magicmoment

magicmoment

ArtestMediaGroup Graphic Designer

• 3,489 posts
  • Name:Angelica "Gel Gel"
  • Fan Since:circa 1999ish
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Vujacic, Gasol, Artest

Posted November 01, 2008 - 09:50 AM

hateradeeee

#16 gcclaker

gcclaker

I Bleed Purple And Gold!

• 750 posts
  • Fan Since:The Glory Days of Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Michael Cooper DPOY 1987

Posted November 01, 2008 - 10:42 AM

This is all about the spread of production because of depth. It is logical that their games will tail off a bit but that is due to less minutes and less touches. What else does this mean? Efficiency and more rest for them. This will help in the deep run during the latter third of the season and fresh legs during the playoffs. Sure they are not playing their normal games but it will help them be more rounded. Case with Gasol...he can use his nimble footwork to get around slower 4s off the dribble instead of having to spend energy banging underneath.

Edited by gcclaker, November 01, 2008 - 11:28 AM.

Five guys on the court working together can achieve more than five talented individuals who come and go as individuals.
-Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

#17 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts
  • Name:LA Pharaoh
  • Fan Since:In Los Angeles, LA fandom is a birthrite
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba and Magic

Posted November 01, 2008 - 10:51 AM

^ i agree and would like to add that the numbers will start to even out, in about 15 games people will be more settled into their roles and when the more difficult games come the ball will be in the hands of our All-stars more
Again - this team, as currently constructed won't make it out of the second round of the playoffs, let alone the West or win the Finals.---fido on 2011 Lakers

#18 LkrsOvrMia 2

LkrsOvrMia 2

Rookie

• 40 posts
  • Fav. Laker:This is a team sport!

Posted November 01, 2008 - 11:22 AM

BSPN that is.

:unsure:
"Why can't America realize that falling in love with Kobe doesn't mean breaking up with Michael?" Rick Reilly

Bryant, who will be representing Team USA for the first time, told Gasol: "Being that we lost this series, you (guys) have no chance at a gold medal. I ain't goin' 0 for 2, homie."

#19 lakerswiz

lakerswiz

Off The Bench

• 2,578 posts

Posted November 01, 2008 - 11:34 AM

This is all statistics based.

#20 G-Small

G-Small

Lakers World Order

• 441 posts
  • Name:G-Small
  • Fan Since:1988
  • Fav. Laker:Nickey Maxwell VanExel III

Posted November 01, 2008 - 11:51 AM

I read the article with a different slant, that numbers are deceiving.

Basically saying how a players career year makes a more average season look like their play has fallen off when maybe it's a situational thing.

Sahsa is gonna get less minutes because of Ariza. His numbers probably won't be as high, but that's not a knock on Sasha.

Same thing with Pau. Pau was the only big man last season because Drew was hurt. But now with Drew back I think it's obvious Pau won't get as many low post touches. He had 15 in the first half of the Portland game and none in the second.

ALL the Lakers starters from last season individual numbers will be down, simply because there is more health and minutes from other guys. BUT, bench guys like Ariza and Farmar will see their numbers go up.

Edited by G-Small, November 01, 2008 - 11:52 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users