12 replies to this topic

#1 LakersFanatic

LakersFanatic

Rookie

• 917 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 22, 2013 - 07:05 PM

Can the Lakers theoretically trade Devin Ebanks for Lebron James, or is there something in the cba that would prevent it?

I know its something that would never happen, my question is regarding the salaries. If Lakers were willing to add onto their luxury tax, would they be allowed to?

#2 Yaboy

Yaboy

Sixth Man

• 3,892 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 22, 2013 - 07:09 PM

No way.

de__anthony_thomas_by_eksde-d5e4v29.png

"Love me or hate me it's one or the other. Always has been. Hate my game, hate my swagger, hate my fade-away, my hunger, hate that i'm a veteran, A champion, hate that. Hate it with all your heart, and hate that i'm loved for the exact same reasons." - Kobe

#3 Michaelyumm

Michaelyumm

Quick & Easy

• 10,351 posts
  • Fan Since:93
  • Fav. Laker:Javaris Crittenton

Posted May 22, 2013 - 07:13 PM

no, but the Lakers can re-sign Ebanks for 118 million dollars for 5 years lol!

#4 ツ  

ツ  

All-Star

• 5,672 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted May 22, 2013 - 07:30 PM

no, but the Lakers can re-sign Ebanks for 118 million dollars for 5 years lol!

then we can trade him for lebron  :cool2:

#5 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 37,012 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted May 22, 2013 - 07:36 PM

then we can trade him for lebron  :cool2:

The Lakers passed up Martell Webster and CDR for Devin Ebanks, they obviously see something special! We all should!!  In the next 2 years ago Ebanks will be the next Ariza and in the next one year ago he'll be able to stop Durant! 

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#6 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,695 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted May 22, 2013 - 07:36 PM

In my sig there is a link to the CBA. I would advise to read it. Its actually not to complicated for the most part. Some parts are complicated but its not to bad. 

Next heres the ESPN Trade Machine http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine

This is your best friend when thinking of trades. Though it may not work well until after the season being that its still going to follow this seasons payrolls and restrictions I believe. 

The biggest rule in the NBA trades is the 125% rule. If you trade a player with x amount salary then what you trade to them must be with in 125% of that players salary. So if I were to trade a player with 5 mill contract then the max contract player I could give them is 6.25 Mill. The min player I could give them is 4 mill. There is also a 100K cushion added to it as well so 5 mill player could be traded for a 6.35 mill player.

There are allot of little way around these things of course (exceptions, undercap, etc) but for the most part thats what you wan to use. 

#7 LakersFanatic

LakersFanatic

Rookie

• 917 posts
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted May 22, 2013 - 07:54 PM

In my sig there is a link to the CBA. I would advise to read it. Its actually not to complicated for the most part. Some parts are complicated but its not to bad. 

Next heres the ESPN Trade Machine http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine

This is your best friend when thinking of trades. Though it may not work well until after the season being that its still going to follow this seasons payrolls and restrictions I believe. 

The biggest rule in the NBA trades is the 125% rule. If you trade a player with x amount salary then what you trade to them must be with in 125% of that players salary. So if I were to trade a player with 5 mill contract then the max contract player I could give them is 6.25 Mill. The min player I could give them is 4 mill. There is also a 100K cushion added to it as well so 5 mill player could be traded for a 6.35 mill player.

There are allot of little way around these things of course (exceptions, undercap, etc) but for the most part thats what you wan to use. 

Thanks

#8 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,474 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted May 22, 2013 - 08:07 PM

Some trades doesn't work in the trade machine. For instance, if there is a team or a player option. That doesn't mean that the trade couldn't happen though. 

Try this one as well: http://basketball.re...om/tradechecker

Regarding Ebanks and LBJ: IF the Lakers were 25 million UNDER the cap i think it would be possible. Not likely, though. 

This is why it isn't totally impossible to trade some of the guys on our roster with bad contracts. Metta, Pau, Duhon, Blake etc. 

Also, check this page: www.nbafaq.com - you'll find a lot of answers here as well. 

#9 Lakers4Life

Lakers4Life

Bleeds Purple & Gold

• 3,269 posts
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted May 22, 2013 - 09:56 PM

To be honest my knowledge of the CBA and trades has just come from readign articles on trades for years and I just gathered an understanding over time. 

The most importnat things you need to research are:

1) The cap

2) The luxury cap

3) Trading over the luxury cap/ or under the cap

4) Signing your own players over signing someone from another team

5) sign and trades

6) The differences between restricted and unrestricted free agents

Thatll give you a basic understanding

To answer your question: No. Ebanks is to be a free agent this summer a restricted one at that IF lakers pick up the "qualifying offer" which is the minimum they have to pick up if they want him on the team so hell be guranteed for at LEAST 1 more year. I wont get into what teams can offer him and how lakers can match etc. But regardless Ebanks contract even at a max will still be too small to trade for Lebron as both Miami and Lakers are OVER the cap they cannot take on any additional salary besides 125%.. so if lakers send out 10 million dollars they cant receive 20 million dollars. 

Real scenario: Lakers are not going to pick up Ebanks qualifying offer to make him restricted. They are going to let him become an unrestricted free agent and let him go elsewhere. A team might sign him up or he could end up out of the NBA well see.

Laker fan for life.

#10 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,541 posts
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted May 23, 2013 - 04:52 AM

It took the 5th member for someone to answer his question...
Come on guys...

#11 lakersince75

lakersince75

Rookie

• 1,378 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted May 27, 2013 - 03:57 AM

My question would be, if we lose D12 what kind of money do we have to spend on a Free Agent? By the way please trade MWP while you're at it

#12 Lakers4Life

Lakers4Life

Bleeds Purple & Gold

• 3,269 posts
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted May 27, 2013 - 04:02 AM

My question would be, if we lose D12 what kind of money do we have to spend on a Free Agent? By the way please trade MWP while you're at it

Well have zero money to spend on a free agent if Dwight leaves. Besides the mini MLE, which we already have regardless. 

Edited by Lakers4Life, May 27, 2013 - 04:02 AM.

Laker fan for life.

#13 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 37,012 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted May 27, 2013 - 08:23 PM

if we didn't re-sign Dwight that would just put us further under the salary cap in the 2014 off-season. 

Not being able to re-sign Dwight wouldn't free up any money the next season but it would free up a boatload in the 2014 off-season which matters the most in our grand scheme.  We're likely signing a star anyway with the freed up money in the 2014 off-season.  if Dwight wasn't here we'd likely sign 2.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users