Photo

What is the Lakers' plan B? Do the Lakers even have a plan B?

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#61 lakersince75

lakersince75

Off The Bench

• 1,448 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted May 27, 2013 - 03:28 AM

Now that's Real Talk!! But again I say, MDA is here as long as Nash is here. Watch how well Mike Brown does in Cleveland

Do you think before you type? What kind of logic are you applying in comparing a perennial loser who...loses and a Hall of Fame professional basketball coach? MDA ALWAYS fails...if the basis of your pathetic argument is that PJ doesn't win every time then you might have a few screws loose.

Yeh all you know is that Mike D'Antoni can't win no matter who's on the roster. 28-12 had little to do with MDA and everything to do with the players doing it their way. So all the people that wanted to [expletive] about PJ and his salary, what exactly is the front office paying MDA for? They damn sure ain't paying him to win championships. The front office needs to wake the hell up and stop hiring league rejects for the cheap cheap.

We didn't go to the playoffs...SA had a first round bye.

History is a teacher.

Edited by lakersince75, May 27, 2013 - 03:29 AM.

#62 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,458 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted May 27, 2013 - 09:08 AM

Do you think before you type? What kind of logic are you applying in comparing a perennial loser who...loses and a Hall of Fame professional basketball coach? MDA ALWAYS fails...if the basis of your pathetic argument is that PJ doesn't win every time then you might have a few screws loose.

Yeh all you know is that Mike D'Antoni can't win no matter who's on the roster. 28-12 had little to do with MDA and everything to do with the players doing it their way. So all the people that wanted to [expletive] about PJ and his salary, what exactly is the front office paying MDA for? They damn sure ain't paying him to win championships. The front office needs to wake the hell up and stop hiring league rejects for the cheap cheap.

We didn't go to the playoffs...SA had a first round bye.

History is a teacher.

And San Antonio appears rto be having a 3rd round bye.

Completely ignore the fact that Kobe was not healthy andNash either, and compare that to memphis with a frontline that is a lil better than ours due to cohension, with all their guys healthy, and they are still down 3-0.

Explain that.

You cn't. All you can do is find something negative about the Lakers and pick it lil finding a scab on a beautiful woman and picking it until she bleeds.

Your comments have never been positive, only ewishful thinking.

Phil(at this age) may or may not be the best TODAY. He is better than MDA, but would we have beat the Heat with Phil? Don't FORGET, Kobe was not 100%, Phil's last season and it was an utter disaster. MDA in ten years, as never won a title, and tell me one of his rosters that were legit.

Amare vs Duncan. Parker vs Nash. Manu vs Marion. It's almost a joke when you look at the Spurs historically and think those Suns were going to beat them.

The Lakers are TRYING to be cheap? What the hell are you talking about?

Phil wanted to be the president or some role that diminishes Mitch. That ain't happening, and surprise, suprise, he is still waiting for a job.

I don't care if Phil came back. We were not winning in a year in which Dwight was not healthy, and he also needs to take a step in maturity. Add the fact that Nash and Blake would have still been out and Duhon would have been a part of this line-up, and I will say with ALL certainty, that Kobe and Clark Kent couldn't carry no knees Pau( a liability early in the season) and Hill had back spasms.

We were getting Showtime 2.0 for Dr. Buss.

It didn't work, but I think Dr Buss deserved the attempt.

#63 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,198 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 27, 2013 - 11:41 AM

Teams are putting up a fight against the overrated Spurs; [expletive], we got ran off the damn court...blown the hell out...bent over.

Typical loser mentality: start throwing out excuses. You think rosters are 100% healthy following a grueling 82 game schedule? Bottom line is that MDA had a capable team that crawled into the playoffs. ANY coach (not just PJ) would have done a better job than that amateur.

Stupid ass analogy...what the [expletive] are you talking about a scab? Ugh some people

Your comments have never been truthful nor realistic. You spend half your time talking down to people and being a condescending ass as if what you say is gospel. Change your handle please.

Now look at you speaking of age when it comes to coaching. Popovich is 64, Hollins is 59. Spare me these bull[expletive] excuses. Phil Jackson IS the best there is no maybe about it and the only people who fail to realize it are in their own little delusional world. Look at your repeated digs at Phil Jackson and your asinine defense(s) of Mike D'Antoni...are you high? The front office will never be able to live down this hire.

Who the hell knows if PJ would have beat Miami? What is wrong with you??? Why do you keep saying dumb [expletive]? What is your logic here? Well we don't know if PJ can beat Miami so there's no use in hiring him over MDA? Is that your play? Is it right to penalize Phil Jackson because he doesn't win ALL THE TIME? Do you fault Auerbach for appearing in eleven finals but only winning nine championships? Do you fault Popovich for his record lately? 1st Round exits, semifinal exits...with top seeds and the greatest power forward of all time? Do you fault Popovich for having a measly four championships?

No I didn't expect the Suns to do [expletive] because they never had a head coach. They had a prime Nash and some solid support players. You wanna fault the GOAT but then turn around and make all these bull[expletive] excuses for a coach with European success but ZERO NBA sucess? GTFO

How bout a rundown of our awesome head coach?

- FIRED by the Denver Nuggets *giggle
- Won NADA in Phoenix despite having a 2x MVP, an All Star, and a host of solid role players
- QUIT in NY like the loser he is despite having two all stars (NY switched to Woodson and things got better)
- Perhaps his greatest "accomplishment", he bamboozled the Buss family into hiring him. People all around the world are still scratching their heads.

MDA's playoff coaching career reads like this:
- Missed the playoffs
- Missed the playoffs
- LOST in the conference finals
- LOST in the conference finals
- LOST in the conference semifinals
- LOST in the first round
- Missed the playoffs
- Missed the playoffs
- LOST in the first round
- n/a (Quit like a chump)
- LOST in the first round (robbed LA)

Lakers paying Mike Brown (oh look another bad hire!) and maybe I shouldn't say cheap...the fact that they gave MDA 12 mil for three years is overpaying. Guess you got me there.

Phil didn't want to diminish Mitch. Stop talking outta your ass. PJ was going to inform Mitch of his decision but before he could do so...they stupidly hired Mike D'Antoni. Make all the feeble excuses you want.

And please, don't insult real Showtime like that.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#64 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,458 posts

Posted May 27, 2013 - 12:09 PM

Dude we didn't have Kobe. KOBE is our guy.

Overrated Spurs? You are living in the past, this year they put it all together, and are not folding in the playoffs, like they typically do(unless they choke away this lead)

100% healthy?

No I'm not talking the last two playoffs where we had Kobe and no MDA and failed miserably under Phil, got down right killed. Not the years where haters called the Lakers "Fakers" when Houston beat them 3 games undermanned in the second round, I'm talking this year with no Kobe, and no training camp for coach.

Phil is the GOAT. He has also had The greatest two SGs ever,in their prime. Shaq,Scottie, Rodman,PAU in his prime, and others.

MDA has had some good teams and some bad teams and some okay teams.

This season, he didn't get a fair shake, I don't care what his past is.

In fact, I'm not going to repeat the same thing over and over.

I've seen Phil Jackson with Kobe in his prime have two 7 game losing streaks in the same season.

You HAVE to look at a roster sometimes.

now, is MDA coaching up to THIBS level, hell no. No no one else showed that either, except Pop and he's not available.

The Lakers management fired Mike Brown after he got his training camp and pre-season and sucked.

You BETTER believe if D'Antoni has us looking bad to begin next season, t will be ON to the next one.

As  fan of this team, I want the guy to win multiple titles with the purple and gold. PERIOD

#65 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,458 posts

Posted May 27, 2013 - 12:21 PM

After reading your comments, I see, it's no need to engage Windu. 

You hurl personal insults and say I'm condescending. 

The point about Phil is that , EVERYTHING IS CIRCUMSTANCE.

Prime Shaq-Kobe emerging Superstar-Title(s)

Hurt Shaq-Kobe a Superstar-no titles

No Shaq-Kobe a MEGASTAR-no titles

Kobe-Pau-Odom-Bynum-Title(s)

Kobe hurt-Pau decline-no titles

MDa

No Kobe-what do you expect..we showed something when we needed and got in the playoffs. If all he did was get out the players way at 28-12, then that's all I want.Pop's Spurs looked good all season until Tony and Manu were both hurt and they had a terrible record for the last month or so.

It's not about MDA vs Phil, and if you are trying to make it THAT, then you win 

Phil is better than MDA.

#66 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,198 posts

Posted May 27, 2013 - 12:49 PM

Some people are beyond learning. You want your favorite team to circle down the [expletive]ter...then that's you.

By the way, I didn't bring up Phil Jackson...you did. But that's what the few PJ haters tend to do.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#67 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,458 posts

Posted May 27, 2013 - 01:50 PM

Windu, please stop trying to bully?

PJ haters. I rang the bell for the man all over LA, since he has been here. I love PHIL more than an non-player of any sports.

BUT

I said I want my team to win multiple titles with D'Antoni. That would mean we aren't near the expletive

#68 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,198 posts

Posted May 27, 2013 - 03:20 PM

Bully? Grow up dude

You can't expect to make ridiculous statements and not be challenged. It happens to me...it happens to everyone. Word of advice though: You're not going to be able to spew nonsense about Phil Jackson and then praise MDA without getting called out for it. You wanna discredit Phil Jackson on the rare occasion he loses but praise MDA for losing ALL THE TIME? What's going on in that brain of yours for you to believe that's ok?

Pau Gasol is GONE

#69 lakersince75

lakersince75

Off The Bench

• 1,448 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted May 27, 2013 - 06:26 PM

Phil is very good. MDA is Very Average. I agree Phil had some major squads. So did MDA. Jerry Sloan may have been better than both. rings or no rings. And Tom Thibodeau is a beast. I'm a believer of coaches that do more with less. Phil is still the man though. Would love to see Phil coach a team like Milwaukee, Washington or Philadelphia

#70 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,458 posts

Posted May 27, 2013 - 08:31 PM

It's funny because I really don't like MDA. I didn't like the hire. Didn't like the way he handled Melo. I didn't like the slick [expletive] he said about Kobe. I don't like him that much.

But I think he is better suited than Mike Brown was. And I think he can do some positive things as a head coach, but his traditional system cannot work.

I saw him do some things I liked before this job, and I see some things I liked this season.

I haven't given him more credit than Phil.

i'm saying MJ is the best ever by most accounts. Where does Steve Nash rank all-time? No where near Shaq, Kobe or Mj in thier primes. Maybe above Pippen, but that's not the whole point.

When I see MDA have a team that is built like a championship team, and he loses, I'll agree that it's IMPOSSIBLE for him to win. Maybe he is bad luck. I just think any NBA coach deserves a training camp. That's my opinion.

That's not discrediting Phil, I just pointed out points where INJURIes and lack of championship roster make Phil look human. Doc Rivers lost 18 games in a row one season before he won a title.

Larry Brown took a while to win his only title.

Lakers have 5 rings in the past 13 years...with 2 Finals appearances and a couple of sweeps in there as well. Thats basketball.

Its not on MDA what happened against the Spurs. They demolished Memphis, healthy.

#71 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,198 posts

Posted May 27, 2013 - 08:57 PM

I hate when people take jabs at PJ because of the players he's coached. If it were that black and white (which it's NOT) then the Bulls and Lakers front offices could have hired any Tom, Dick, and Harry instead of paying PJ the many millions he's earned. Save cash and hire some scrub, oh wait...

Pau Gasol is GONE

#72 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,198 posts

Posted May 27, 2013 - 08:59 PM

Elite franchises go after the very BEST to lead their teams to sports immortality.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#73 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 40,966 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted May 27, 2013 - 09:03 PM

I don't think Windu is one of the types that would ignore winning.  He just wants the best guy for the job.

Though if you were to ask him if after we lost to Dallas the Lakers hired D'antoni and we won 3 championships in a row if in that 4th year he'd still want Phil over him.

But that's super hypothetical.  I think Windu just wantsthe best guy for the job that gives us the best chance to win and makes it easier on the players in a system suited for them above all else whether it be Phil Jackson or otherwise.   Basically what I think he's saying is "If the coach don't fit you must a-quit."

he has his opinion on whom is the best fit and you have yours, but he's not a bully,

Edited by Majesty, May 27, 2013 - 09:04 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#74 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,198 posts

Posted May 27, 2013 - 09:29 PM

I've stated on numerous occasions that if PJ wasn't available, we would still need to make a sound hire. I wasn't sold on the Mike Brown hire but was willing to see what he could do. I didn't like the disrespect shown to guys who coached under PJ such as Brian Shaw. MDA really isn't a good option under any circumstances but what REALLY burns me is that Phil Jackson was available to COACH and the front office didn't just go in another direction...they traveled to an entirely different planet in making the decision to hire MDA. Hire another coach with NBA experience, hire someone from the college ranks, hire Real Deal but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE...the one thing you cannot do is hire Michael Andrew D'Antoni.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#75 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,984 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted May 27, 2013 - 09:42 PM

I've stated on numerous occasions that if PJ wasn't available, we would still need to make a sound hire. I wasn't sold on the Mike Brown hire but was willing to see what he could do. I didn't like the disrespect shown to guys who coached under PJ such as Brian Shaw. MDA really isn't a good option under any circumstances but what REALLY burns me is that Phil Jackson was available to COACH and the front office didn't just go in another direction...they traveled to an entirely different planet in making the decision to hire MDA. Hire another coach with NBA experience, hire someone from the college ranks, hire Real Deal but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE...the one thing you cannot do is hire Michael Andrew D'Antoni.

Agree. 

I think they hired MDA in an attempt to get back to the Showtime-style basketball. Which does make some sense, if you had Blake Griffin, Andre Igoudala and Ricky Rubio. But you dont. You have D12, Pau, Kobe and Nash. They're not suited for MDAs offense, period. Not even Nash.  

We need to install a long-term system, like the Spurs have. It [expletive]ing works. Even with their stars sitting on the bench the machine works and players know what and when to do it.. 

And with our current roster and PJs history in LA, the Triangle is a no-brainer IMO. It'll make it easier to recruit new players as well and we wouldn't have to invent the wheel every single season. 

#76 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,966 posts

Posted May 27, 2013 - 09:44 PM

Agree. 

I think they hired MDA in an attempt to get back to the Showtime-style basketball. Which does make some sense, if you had Chris Paul

There you go :)

#77 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,458 posts

Posted May 27, 2013 - 10:18 PM

The sad part is you think A) Real Deal knows more basketball than Gold medalist Mike D'Antoni.

B) he is a better option for the Lakers than someone with 30 years basketball experience EASY.

Phil's TOP assistant-RAMBIS-was an utter failure and disaster in Minne.

Phil didn't just want the coaching job and it's becoming more obvious that he did make the demands that were previously discussed.

And it's not an opinion about "fit, or whatever.

It's an opinion about fairness.

it's the righteous thing to give D'Antoni a training camp.

#78 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,966 posts

Posted May 27, 2013 - 10:36 PM

It may be fair to give D'antoni a training camp. I agree it's fair.

But at the same time it's fair to note that it didn't take RD a training camp to realize what kind of an offense the team should run =p

Heck, Mike Brown had the right system, just the wrong attitude about how complex to make it and how to coach it.  It's not his system after all but he knew it would fit the team with some triangle thrown in(which he did implement, as a lot of Pau to Dwight plays were triangle sets which was great). 

And someone whom I HATE on youtube like Coach Nick showed how many easy shots we could get out of it, or something like it.

I would figure a basketball mind would notice the same things, and that is why D'antoni should have stuck with it instead of scrapping it and trying to throw in his pick and roll primarily.

I would figure since Eddie Jordan was there, why not implement some of his pick and roll already in the style that they had been taught all throughout training camp and simplify it down a bit which Jordan could do as its the offense he runs, and then D'antoni could have implemented a few pick and roll set Nash plays.   it would have made the learning curve a lot LESS steep.   If he came in and said "Alright I'm gonna learn about some of this Princeton stuff from Eddie and see what I can implement in it so you guys don't have to relearn the wheel, and I'm gonna talk to Clifford about what our problems are defensively seems that seems to be the main issue and will simplify it down just a little so you guys stop turning over the ball and we'll see what balance we find."

Would have been better than scrapping everything and starting with his system off the bat and turning December to mid January into our pre-season.  That's my opinion though.

Edited by Majesty, May 27, 2013 - 10:38 PM.

#79 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,984 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted May 28, 2013 - 02:55 AM

There you go :)

CP3 is not a good fit in a MDA system.

#80 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,966 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 04:07 AM

CP3 is not a good fit in a MDA system.

He's a point guard that can score, run an offense and run the floor and can have the ball put in his hands to get everyone else involved.

If it worked for Jeremy Lin, Chris Paul could do it ten times better. He's exactly the kind of point guard that "could" run that type of offense, so would Nash if this was 4 years ago. Currently though Chris Paul would be the essential pick. Why else do you think the Lakers got Chris Paul the moment they were trying to move away from the triangle? They wanted an offense that would essentially take the ball out of Kobe's hands and allow him to play off-ball and make the latter half of his career easier, hence why they went after CP3. They knew what kind of pg they'd need that's also why they got Sessions. That's also why they got Nash but by mid season they realized he wasn't that guy anymore and should be off ball which again makes Kobe main ball handler which they didn't want him to have to do.

Unfortunately fate dealt another hand and they tried to force it the other way, and the result is D'antoni being here instead of Phil. If Nash had never gotten injured and we saw him play through November effectively off ball if MB was fired we'd probably have gotten Phil as it would have been evident. But with Nash intentionally not running PnR it was "assumed" he was being held back.

But everything he said and mike brown said and phil jackson said about why they weren't running PnR solely through Nash was proven to be true all too late.

Edited by Majesty, May 28, 2013 - 04:13 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users