Photo

What is the Lakers' plan B? Do the Lakers even have a plan B?

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#21 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,597 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted May 22, 2013 - 10:02 AM

I wouldnt want to play with a guy that shrinks in the big moment. After playing with Kobe, Dwight knows how important it is to have a closer and that isnt what james harden has shown he can do. In a close game they have Harden, Dwight, or Lin, would love to see how many close games they would actually win.

You acting like KB is gonna be closing out 4th qt's for the Lakers and D12 next season....

atm Harden>Kobe

Only think Kobe is going to be closing is the end of a brilliant career. D12's agents are going to look at risk management. Nothing else. KB is a risk after the Achilles blew. Thats just how it is.

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

#22 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,366 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted May 22, 2013 - 10:09 AM

Every franchise has a down year or have several down years. But the difference between the Lakers organization and any other team in ANY sports is they have very few down years. This is what makes the Lakers different than every franchises in sports. And this is why Lakers fans expect the best every year.. Especially when Dr Buss bought the team in 1979.  I mean look at the lakers history since 1979. Lets see. 1992 when Magic had to retire due to HIV.  Worthy were still injured coming off of injury and is also in his tail end of his career. So 93 to 95. Three years of really down years and we even managed to get the 4 seed with Ceballos.   Now 96 is when Kobe and Shaq comes along.  We were always in the mix of winning a championship. A real down year is when we have no chance of winning. In 96 when we have shaq, even with Dale Harris as coach, we are always in the mixed.  And the only down year Lakers really have after that was the 205 to 2007. Kwame Brown era. 

So look at this franchise since the great Dr Buss owns it.  Down years are 93 to 95 =  3 years of no chance of winning.   And 2005 to 2007  no chance of winning.    THis is why we expect the Lakers to have a run for a championship every year.  I dont blame the fans to be spoiled and expect greatness.  And I dont blame them for being "cocky".  Because the Lakers IS the best sports organizations in ALL of sports. Better than the yankees and celtics because those two franchises have down years forever but not Lakers. 

I just hope Jim Buss knows what he is doing and not make this franchise have down years for more than 3 years. 

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#23 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,285 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 10:20 AM

I wouldnt want to play with a guy that shrinks in the big moment. After playing with Kobe, Dwight knows how important it is to have a closer and that isnt what james harden has shown he can do. In a close game they have Harden, Dwight, or Lin, would love to see how many close games they would actually win.

This was his first year as the man. I would give him couple of years. Look at how Durant failed in clutch against Grizzlies. And that man is known as being clutch. It's all about time and opponent. They are gonna grow.

#24 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Just A Fan

• 3,981 posts
  • Name:JP
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted May 22, 2013 - 10:25 AM

Rings or bust no matter what, but I atleast want the team to compete to it's fullest capacity.
#WaiveWes

ezk2ds.jpg

#25 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

• 11,597 posts
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.

Posted May 22, 2013 - 11:04 AM

Every franchise has a down year or have several down years. But the difference between the Lakers organization and any other team in ANY sports is they have very few down years. This is what makes the Lakers different than every franchises in sports. And this is why Lakers fans expect the best every year.. Especially when Dr Buss bought the team in 1979.  I mean look at the lakers history since 1979. Lets see. 1992 when Magic had to retire due to HIV.  Worthy were still injured coming off of injury and is also in his tail end of his career. So 93 to 95. Three years of really down years and we even managed to get the 4 seed with Ceballos.   Now 96 is when Kobe and Shaq comes along.  We were always in the mix of winning a championship. A real down year is when we have no chance of winning. In 96 when we have shaq, even with Dale Harris as coach, we are always in the mixed.  And the only down year Lakers really have after that was the 205 to 2007. Kwame Brown era. 

So look at this franchise since the great Dr Buss owns it.  Down years are 93 to 95 =  3 years of no chance of winning.   And 2005 to 2007  no chance of winning.    THis is why we expect the Lakers to have a run for a championship every year.  I dont blame the fans to be spoiled and expect greatness.  And I dont blame them for being "cocky".  Because the Lakers IS the best sports organizations in ALL of sports. Better than the yankees and celtics because those two franchises have down years forever but not Lakers. 

I just hope Jim Buss knows what he is doing and not make this franchise have down years for more than 3 years. 

I agree and like your comment about the Lakers history and  past success. but non of that actually impacts the future at all. Not saying it will be bad or good. I have no crystal ball but conventional wisdom would lead us to believe its gonna be bad before it gets good again.

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

#26 gque24

gque24

Starter

• 4,371 posts
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted May 22, 2013 - 11:55 AM

there are no plans until D12 makes up his mind. until then everything is speculation

Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#27 TheOriginalCZM

TheOriginalCZM

Rookie

• 823 posts
  • Name:J
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Brian Scalabrine

Posted May 22, 2013 - 11:58 AM

there are no plans until D12 makes up his mind. until then everything is speculation

Who says he hasn't already made up his mind?

#28 gque24

gque24

Starter

• 4,371 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 12:03 PM

Who says he hasn't already made up his mind?

cuz if its to stay then he would have mentioned it by now to do away with all negative rumors coming out now. but I meant until something is publicly put on record by D12 Lakers are not doing anything behind the scenes if they still have NO idea.

#29 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 41,123 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted May 22, 2013 - 12:05 PM

cuz if its to stay then he would have mentioned it by now to do away with all negative rumors coming out now. but I meant until something is publicly put on record by D12 Lakers are not doing anything behind the scenes if they still have NO idea.

He isn't going to mention it any sooner than he has to.  Neither would a majority of other players that are about to have the free agency he is.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#30 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,366 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 12:36 PM

I agree that D12 probably have not made up his mind yet and most likely will milk it all the way until July 1st. Heck, I think we wont hear anything from him until after the first week of July. The issue here is the Lakers are not doing a good job at presenting Dwight with anything for him to stay. Name me a reason why he will stay?  We all know he doesn't like MDA now.  Sure it could be speculation if D12 actually hates MDA but where there is smoke there is fire and its a fact that he said MDA disrespect him. SO that is not speculation. So the relationship already tarnished even if they fake it in front of the cameras all next season. Its already out there. You think D12 wants that drama?  I know I dont.  The only reason why I believe he will stay is if he wants to do some things outside of basketball in Los Angeles and he knows that playing for the Lakers will get him more endorsements in the future and maybe film work.  Because right now, the Lakers are doing a crappy job at presenting dwight reasons to stay.

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#31 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 4,025 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted May 22, 2013 - 01:18 PM

You acting like KB is gonna be closing out 4th qt's for the Lakers and D12 next season....

atm Harden>Kobe

Only think Kobe is going to be closing is the end of a brilliant career. D12's agents are going to look at risk management. Nothing else. KB is a risk after the Achilles blew. Thats just how it is.

ATM Quincy Pondexter>Kobe , Kobe cant do anything right now basketball wise so that is a terrible comparison to make. Im just saying we know Dwight cant finish a game because of Hack a Dwight, and harden has shown he isnt the guy to do that either. Dwight loves LA and he loves the big city, going to Houston is the same as Orlando basically as far as market goes.

Also sounds like you dont think kobe is gonna come back strong at all being a laker fan all these years shouldnt you know better then to bet against the mamba?

This was his first year as the man. I would give him couple of years. Look at how Durant failed in clutch against Grizzlies. And that man is known as being clutch. It's all about time and opponent. They are gonna grow.

He lost the thunder the title last year, lost the rockets the 7th seed this year by sucking against the lakers late in the game, and crumbled again this year playing pretty bad all series efficiently wise except that won good game that helped his stat line. I know Harden is the 2nd best SG he has been since he took over as a starter this year, but he hasnt shown he can finish and of course sooner or later he will you give someone enough chances they will come through. However, he hasnt shown it and late in games he gets less agressive doesnt attack the basket enough and settles for hard jumpers.

Durant was just overmatched period, he didnt play good in late game situations but he had to carry them the first 40 mins of the game just look at his averages.It wasnt as much he shrank just that his shots werent falling, there is a difference between choking and your just missing your shots. Hardens style changes in tight game situations for the worst, Durant plays the same always its just the game of basketball you cant make all your shots.

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#32 Michaelyumm

Michaelyumm

Quick & Easy

• 10,865 posts
  • Fan Since:93
  • Fav. Laker:Nick Van Exel

Posted May 22, 2013 - 02:01 PM

Plan B is

Pau

Hill

MWP

Kobe

Nash

#33 gque24

gque24

Starter

• 4,371 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 02:13 PM

I agree that D12 probably have not made up his mind yet and most likely will milk it all the way until July 1st. Heck, I think we wont hear anything from him until after the first week of July. The issue here is the Lakers are not doing a good job at presenting Dwight with anything for him to stay. Name me a reason why he will stay?  We all know he doesn't like MDA now.  Sure it could be speculation if D12 actually hates MDA but where there is smoke there is fire and its a fact that he said MDA disrespect him. SO that is not speculation. So the relationship already tarnished even if they fake it in front of the cameras all next season. Its already out there. You think D12 wants that drama?  I know I dont.  The only reason why I believe he will stay is if he wants to do some things outside of basketball in Los Angeles and he knows that playing for the Lakers will get him more endorsements in the future and maybe film work.  Because right now, the Lakers are doing a crappy job at presenting dwight reasons to stay.

i hear ya thats why the drama would go away if he just says im staying.

#34 Blax

Blax

Rookie

• 522 posts
  • Name:Blax
  • Fan Since:1991
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Threatt, Rodman

Posted May 22, 2013 - 02:20 PM

Plan B is

Pau

Hill

MWP

Kobe

Nash

I hope Howard resigns...cause this lineup is just depressing. 

#35 KobeWillReturnTriumphant

KobeWillReturnTriumphant

TheNefariousJim&HisSilverSpoon

• 1,879 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic/Kobe/Tony Smith

Posted May 22, 2013 - 02:54 PM

If the organization doesn't retain Howard and pushes MDA out for one more year, there was no plan; to have a plan, one must be using their brain.

Edited by KobeWillReturnTriumphant, May 22, 2013 - 02:54 PM.

#36 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

• 11,597 posts

Posted May 23, 2013 - 04:04 AM

Also sounds like you dont think kobe is gonna come back strong at all being a laker fan all these years shouldnt you know better then to bet against the mamba?

Its not his heart or passion that I'd bet against. It’s his Achilles Tendon that I'd bet against.

It doesn’t matter if I have been a fan for 50 years or 50 seconds. I personally have zero impact on KB's injury status. I'm just stating what history has shown me to believe. It’s a complete tear of his Achilles. 99.9% of the time that’s a career ender. It is what it is.

Regardless how many tweets/FB posts his publicists release also doesn’t affect the severity. Its good PR to stay relative in his fan bases minds, but it’s not going to shift the odds in his favor. And regardless of how many injuries KB has played through and adjusted to over the past 17 years, none of that brings about any results either.

Also I’ve heard all the PR talking points:
-immediate surgery limits scar tissue
-better science = improved medical procedures

-Best surgeon in the world

-Its Kobe and Vitti he will shake it off and return to form

NONE of that achieves results. The fact is, this injury is beyond Kobes control. His drive and passion to overcome doesn’t mean a damn thing when it comes to this injury. The best thing for an Achilles tear is patience. And KBs tweeting about being ready for training camp and Vitti says he will be back before Christmas, so I’m assuming based on nothing other than those statements there's not much time for patience. And that makes sense given Kobes age.

Fact is if the Achilles doesn’t want to completely heal….then it won’t. There's no work out regiment. There's no electrical stimulation to help healing. There's no artificial replacement implants. There's no miracle drug. This isn’t a muscle or a bone. It’s worse than that. If KB would have broken his entire leg I would have believed he could come back 95% of what he was by Christmas. But that’s not the circumstance.

So in closing I’ll make it clear that I want him to comeback. KB24 comeback at any capacity and play another game here in ATL-Phillips Arena and I will be there as usual rooting for him and going nuts. Even if he’s in for 5 mins on a farewell tour that’s an accomplishment. Would I like for him to be able to come back and be the player he was? Yes of course. And if he does then I will be happy for him. 

I’m not expecting anything but the smallest of positive outcomes. And imo that’s being optimistic given the circumstances. Chauncey Billups is back on the court. His game is but a shadow of its former self but he’s back on the court so that’s a good sign. And that’s about what I expect from KB24. And with that outcome I will be very happy for him to not end his career by injury.

Edited by LakersGAFan, May 23, 2013 - 04:08 AM.

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

#37 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,366 posts

Posted May 23, 2013 - 05:31 AM

Its not his heart or passion that I'd bet against. It’s his Achilles Tendon that I'd bet against.

It doesn’t matter if I have been a fan for 50 years or 50 seconds. I personally have zero impact on KB's injury status. I'm just stating what history has shown me to believe. It’s a complete tear of his Achilles. 99.9% of the time that’s a career ender. It is what it is.

Regardless how many tweets/FB posts his publicists release also doesn’t affect the severity. Its good PR to stay relative in his fan bases minds, but it’s not going to shift the odds in his favor. And regardless of how many injuries KB has played through and adjusted to over the past 17 years, none of that brings about any results either.

Also I’ve heard all the PR talking points:
-immediate surgery limits scar tissue
-better science = improved medical procedures

-Best surgeon in the world

-Its Kobe and Vitti he will shake it off and return to form

NONE of that achieves results. The fact is, this injury is beyond Kobes control. His drive and passion to overcome doesn’t mean a damn thing when it comes to this injury. The best thing for an Achilles tear is patience. And KBs tweeting about being ready for training camp and Vitti says he will be back before Christmas, so I’m assuming based on nothing other than those statements there's not much time for patience. And that makes sense given Kobes age.

Fact is if the Achilles doesn’t want to completely heal….then it won’t. There's no work out regiment. There's no electrical stimulation to help healing. There's no artificial replacement implants. There's no miracle drug. This isn’t a muscle or a bone. It’s worse than that. If KB would have broken his entire leg I would have believed he could come back 95% of what he was by Christmas. But that’s not the circumstance.

So in closing I’ll make it clear that I want him to comeback. KB24 comeback at any capacity and play another game here in ATL-Phillips Arena and I will be there as usual rooting for him and going nuts. Even if he’s in for 5 mins on a farewell tour that’s an accomplishment. Would I like for him to be able to come back and be the player he was? Yes of course. And if he does then I will be happy for him. 

I’m not expecting anything but the smallest of positive outcomes. And imo that’s being optimistic given the circumstances. Chauncey Billups is back on the court. His game is but a shadow of its former self but he’s back on the court so that’s a good sign. And that’s about what I expect from KB24. And with that outcome I will be very happy for him to not end his career by injury.

I agree with you all the way until you put Chauncey Billups as an example. Please don't compared Chauncey to Kobe.  That is an embarrassment for Kobe. Kobe will not be a shadow of himself like Billups was a shadow of himself.  But I do agree with you that any other injuries a player can come back and be the same player but an achilles injury is the worst and 99% of the player will never be the same or be even close to good.  The only 1% that I know came back and flourish was Adrian Peterson. However, football is a totally different sports than basketball. Also the position that AP plays in. You can say that football can be more violent but if you think about it, basketball is more damaging to your achilles because you use that muscle a lot more.  Adrian doesn't play every down. He also sits for long period of time when the defense is out there. And Adrian Style of running are usually down hill and speed. He doesn't run like a Reggie Bush or a Barry Sanders having to use a lot of lateral movement. Kobe on the other hand needs to move right left up and down. Football players wrap the crap out of their ankles and if you ever played football (i did in highschool as a corner back) you know how stiff that wrap can be. Your ankle feels like a stone afterwards.  You can't do that in basketball because it will not be good for the fluid movement you need in basketball.  So the example of Adrian peterson coming back compared to a basketball player coming back from that injury is not even close.  I hope Kobe understands that and doesnt think that if AP can do it, he can do it.

But having said all that, Kobe Bryant is one of a kind. Nobody including the great Airness himself can still play at such a high level at this stage of his career. If you play for 14 years in the league, you probably suck by year 15 because you are old and you play so many games.  Kobe played 17 years including all the playoff games so technically, he played the most games out of all players in the history of the game when it said and done. Nobody plays as many games as Kobe has. I think fisher is the closest.  And he still play at such a high level?  So if anybody can prove people wrong, he can.  Its just with an achilles injury that usually create career ending for 99% of the players, Kobe might have to do the almost impossible to be back to even 80% of himself.  Kobe knows that. Thats why he was tearing up and so upset during that interview right after the injury. He knows how almost impossible it is to come back and be even 80% of the player he can be with this injury.

I am a huge Kobe fan.  I can argue that I am his number one fan since I was born just 10 minutes from his highschool. And I believe he is the greatest Lakers of all time. Even beating out my child hood hero Magic Johnson.   But I agree with LakersGAfan.

Edited by epicwolf, May 23, 2013 - 05:34 AM.

#38 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 6,120 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted May 23, 2013 - 05:52 AM

Peterson tore his ACL, not his Achilles. 

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#39 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,198 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 23, 2013 - 06:03 AM

OT but Adrain Peterson is an every-down back. And he tore his acl and mcl...not his achilles.

He also has really good lateral movement...he's not the best running back for nothing. Shelf life for running backs is so short because they take such a beating on the field. That's why you see a lot of teams going with the two-back system.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#40 nikolatesla

nikolatesla

Rookie

• 391 posts
  • Name:Aykut
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 23, 2013 - 07:45 AM

Up there someone said Harden > Kobe. I stop reading that moment but then i saw people responding to that. Do not encourage such behaviours.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users