Photo

What is the Lakers' plan B? Do the Lakers even have a plan B?

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#1 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,044 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted May 22, 2013 - 05:56 AM

A month ago it was so sure from everybody, the media, the lakers and including all the fans that D12 will resign with the lakers. I mean it is a no brainer right? Bigger contract signing with Lakers. Get to play in LA. Playing with a great organization.   Then all of a sudden a conference call was leaked and has proof that D12 doesn't like MDA. Saying was disrespected. A nightmare that he can't wake up to. I can't blame him. All of a sudden the grass is greener on the other side.  Houston Rockets looks like heaven right now. He can sign for a 4 year deal or a two 3 year deal and a max contract with no state tax. Able to play with a pretty good coach and one of the best big men in the history of the NBA Kevin Mchale. The Dream is working for the rockets so he can coach D12 in houston.  Better roster and younger players around him,.  Seems like if D12 is smart he have a better chance of winning in Houston than playing under the incompetent MDA here.  SO to me, it is a no brainer that he should go to houston. 

So if that is the case and a lot of sources are now leaning toward him going ot Htown, do the Lakers even have a plan B?  I know fans don't want to hear this but it seems like the Lakers WILL pick Mike D Antoni over Dwight Howard.  I feel sick just typing what I just typed.  But it seems like Lakers wont butdge. Even if D12 put a knife into Mitch's neck or Jim Buss neck saying get rid of MDA, the lakers wont do it. So what will the lakers do now? Obviously they will keep Pau and we all know how much Pau loves MDA.  So we keeping Pau and get a bunch of 3 point shooters?  Who knows when Kobe will be back. And if he is back, how good he will be. 

Do you guys think the Lakers have a plan B? And should Lakers fans need to prepare for one of the worst off season Lakers will ever have? 

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#2 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,317 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted May 22, 2013 - 06:22 AM

wtf was plan A?

The moment KB tore his Achilles D12 was as good as gone imo.

Cant be mad at him. He wanted to play with a competitor. W/o KB the Lakers are far from being the level D12 wants a team he joins to be at.

Edited by LakersGAFan, May 22, 2013 - 09:23 AM.

#3 Jee

Jee

♚ ROOKIE ©

• 579 posts
  • Name:Jee
  • Fan Since:1988
  • Fav. Laker:ANY WHO PLAYS HERE

Posted May 22, 2013 - 06:31 AM

If Dwight Howard does not want to be here that his loss. I do want him to stay though. In my opinion of course they have a plan b Mitch tried things before that did not happen, for example chris paul trade. Overall its Lakers we are not a lottery team. 

#4 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,044 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 06:37 AM

I remember not too long ago during the Kwame Brown era when Jeanie Buss had to seat through the lottery along with the other loser of a franchise so you can't say Lakers cant become a lottery team because they've been in the lottery a couple of times before.  It is a sad state but sometimes a team needs to hit rock bottom to be on top again.  And this team is the only team I know that can hit rock bottom and be on top in a short period of time.  The only thing that scratch my head is why the lakers love MDA so much and willing to do whatever it takes to keep him even if they have to lose a franchise player like D12.

Edited by epicwolf, May 22, 2013 - 06:38 AM.

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#5 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,771 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted May 22, 2013 - 06:54 AM

Get rid of MDA and Dwight will stay. He loves the city just hates the coach, dont blame him MDA stinks and doesnt know how to use pieces at all. Phil said it Dwight should leave if MDA isnt gonna use him correctly, if the lakers lose Dwight cause of MDA I will be supremely upset. MDA isnt worth what he is being paid and no way worth us losing the best center in the league.

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#6 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,044 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 07:13 AM

if the lakers lose Dwight cause of MDA I will be supremely upset. MDA isnt worth what he is being paid and no way worth us losing the best center in the league.

Well get ready to be very upset because it seems to me the Lakers are heading in this direction.  I am still trying to figure out what so great about MDA that this great organization willing to do such things. 

#7 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,090 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 07:18 AM

With or without MDA, Houston is a better choice for him as far as basketball matters are concerned. Why wouldn't you want to play with James Harden for next 7-8 years? Does Lakers even have plans ready for next summer? However, LAL has something this Houston team doesn't have. Experience in building a championship team time and time again. It's up to Dwight. Choose the side that seems better now, or gamble for a greater future.

#8 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,323 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 22, 2013 - 07:29 AM

Plan A. If the Buss family have just a shred of common sense, they dont allow D12 to leave.
Plan B.If he does want to leave i'd try to do a sign and trade with Clips for Griffin and Bledsoe.
Plan C. Firesale. Aim for bottom. Get picks. Go for Wiggins. Let Kobe win one with Chicago.

#9 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,715 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted May 22, 2013 - 07:39 AM

2014-more cap space duh.

W/o Kobe at a high level, we aint winning..no matter how good Dwight plays

#10 TheOriginalCZM

TheOriginalCZM

Rookie

• 823 posts
  • Name:J
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Brian Scalabrine

Posted May 22, 2013 - 08:22 AM

I am still trying to figure out what so great about MDA that this great organization willing to do such things. 

"MDA coaches the style of play that the current league plays at." Per Mitch Kupchak.

#11 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Just A Fan

• 3,092 posts
  • Name:JP
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted May 22, 2013 - 08:28 AM

Yea..... With the right personnel... This was a bad hire based on that alone. You want to run with an old team? just stupid IMO... As Smart as Mitch is, I cannot understand their logic
Posted Image

#12 TheOriginalCZM

TheOriginalCZM

Rookie

• 823 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 08:37 AM

Yea..... With the right personnel... This was a bad hire based on that alone. You want to run with an old team? just stupid IMO... As Smart as Mitch is, I cannot understand their logic

"We feel MDA best fits the personnel that we have" Per Jim Buss.

#13 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Just A Fan

• 3,092 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 08:44 AM

I'm not debating what was said..... I'm debating the poor judgment call that was made to choose MDA
Posted Image

#14 TheOriginalCZM

TheOriginalCZM

Rookie

• 823 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 08:58 AM

I'm not debating what was said..... I'm debating the poor judgment call that was made to choose MDA

I'm just quoting from the professionals :sarcasm:

#15 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Just A Fan

• 3,092 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 09:03 AM

Ok... Already knew that, but oooookay. Still a bad hire
Posted Image

#16 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 5,911 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted May 22, 2013 - 09:06 AM

We all need to quit assuming we know things we don't know.

That said, I look forward to seeing how it all shakes out and then reading the post-mortem.

We learned things just yesterday that I'm not sure any of us really knew just from listening to Phil.  Right now, most of what you read is made up.

Plan B is wait until next year.  We can be a play-off team in 2014 w/out Dwight, then head into 2014 with a lot of money to spend.  If Dwight walks and leaves money on the table, then he sets a precedent for free agents to leave more money and go play where they prefer to play. 

With that in mind, there will be a handful of free agents in 2014 who would much rather be in LA, on a shorter-deal, than be stuck in the cold weather city, or cow town where they currently spend their winters. 

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#17 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,090 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 09:32 AM

If Dwight walks out, we should at least trade Pau for a draft pick in 2014. The roster would be too weak to compete for title. At least we look forward to 2014 summer with cap space and a likely lottery pick (I believe in Adam)

#18 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

• 11,317 posts
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.

Posted May 22, 2013 - 09:54 AM

2014-more cap space duh.

W/o Kobe at a high level, we aint winning..no matter how good Dwight plays

exactly. and thats why if I'm Dwight Id be out. Hes gonna be 28. That gives him 3-4 years of dominance left if hes healthy. He doesnt have time to let a team rebuild around him. He will probably want to join a winner right now.

#19 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,771 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted May 22, 2013 - 09:58 AM

With or without MDA, Houston is a better choice for him as far as basketball matters are concerned. Why wouldn't you want to play with James Harden for next 7-8 years? Does Lakers even have plans ready for next summer? However, LAL has something this Houston team doesn't have. Experience in building a championship team time and time again. It's up to Dwight. Choose the side that seems better now, or gamble for a greater future.

I wouldnt want to play with a guy that shrinks in the big moment. After playing with Kobe, Dwight knows how important it is to have a closer and that isnt what james harden has shown he can do. In a close game they have Harden, Dwight, or Lin, would love to see how many close games they would actually win.

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#20 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

• 11,317 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 09:59 AM

If Dwight walks out, we should at least trade Pau for a draft pick in 2014. The roster would be too weak to compete for title. At least we look forward to 2014 summer with cap space and a likely lottery pick (I believe in Adam)

this is when ignants say...were to proud a franchise to shelve a season....the Lakers will never do that.

But they forget the 3 major differences from the start of 2012 to now....

1. new ownership and FO changes

2. new coach and staff

3. an injured KB with little to no influence

And we just had a easy 1st round exit with the current roster so we can expect changes there for the next 5-6 seasons while we go through a new era of Cedric Ceballos, Nick Van Excel and Eddie Jones years. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users