28 replies to this topic

#1 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 14,269 posts
  • Fan Since:1986
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 19, 2013 - 10:10 PM

I think some teams are going to be tanking from Day one Next season...

For Sure Tanking

Pistons, Pelicans, Magic, Hornets/Bobcats, Suns, Kings

Should Tank

Twolves, Cavs, Bullets (i mean Wizards), Raptors

Might tank because its best thing to do!

Celtics, Mavs, 76ers, Bucks, Hawks, Lakers (Kobe could miss all season, Dwight could walk)

That's more then half the teams in the NBA!

TANKAPOLOZA!!!

#2 CueTheRain

CueTheRain

Rookie

• 824 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 19, 2013 - 11:08 PM

The most sickening thing is just hearing for weeks about the Heat when they bulldoze the tanking teams. "Best team ever?" "Is LBJ better than MJ?" "LBJ can win title on Heat without Wade/Bosh"

#3 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,910 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted May 20, 2013 - 12:10 AM

There's a draft lottery for this reason.

Tanking does nothing for your team.  Playing hard and winning earn money, that's how teams stay in business.  Tanking seasons does nothing but alienate teams and players from your team, not guarantee anything in the draft and above all it loses money.

Wrong once again.

#4 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 14,269 posts

Posted May 20, 2013 - 12:46 AM

Tell that to the Warriors...

Where they tanked HARD last season, and it got them Harrison Barnes, instead of losing the pick outright...

So, they tanked hard, got great player... vs... playing hard, and losing that pick, finishing with a couple more wins last season, and probally not making the playoffs this year... and not to mention, not having Harrison Barnes...

There's a draft lottery for this reason.

Tanking does nothing for your team.  Playing hard and winning earn money, that's how teams stay in business.  Tanking seasons does nothing but alienate teams and players from your team, not guarantee anything in the draft and above all it loses money.

Wrong once again.

That's just a example from last season, tanking happens all the time, in all sports, and it helps a team get talent and become better in the long run.

Teams are getting smarter, and have seen there are more then one way to the top

#5 fido

fido

• 11,910 posts

Posted May 20, 2013 - 01:49 AM

They didn't tank.

You don't tank a season in the NBA.  You wind up losing money, national broadcasts and possibly fans in the hopes that you may get better in the immediate or eventual future.  Once again, this is why the NBA brought in a lottery.

#6 flota

flota

Barca, Lakers, Cowboys, Chivas

• 2,633 posts
  • Fan Since:2008
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe

Posted May 20, 2013 - 03:59 AM

The lottery is fixed anyway
Imposible is nothing.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty. Inquisitor Lord Fyodor Karamazov.

Alea Iacta Est. Julius Caesar.

#7 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 14,269 posts

Posted May 20, 2013 - 03:59 AM

Are you just being disargeable with everything I say for fun?

Or do you really believe what your saying?

Did you watch any Golden State games last season?

They didn't tank.

You don't tank a season in the NBA.  You wind up losing money, national broadcasts and possibly fans in the hopes that you may get better in the immediate or eventual future.  Once again, this is why the NBA brought in a lottery.

March 13th, they were 18-21, not great, but almost .500, the lakers THIS past season were 17-25 at one point... just for refrence...

Now, after that point, Golden State went 5-21 the rest of the year!!!!

Including trading their 2nd best player (ellis) for a player that was HURT THE REST OF THE SEASON!!!!!!

Then, shutting down their BEST PLAYER (curry) mid-season once they decided to tank...

Last season Golden State was one of the clearest episodes of TANKING EVER IN SPORTS HISTORY!!!!

The only decent team they beat after being 18-21 was the Nuggets... that's one team out of 25+ games... they beat the Tanking Hornets, and the tanking Timberwolves... That's it!!!!

http://bleacherrepor...allas-mavericks

The team was openly tanking!

They admitted it in press confrences, everyone knew they were tanking...

http://espn.go.com/b...protected-picks

It was a well discussed subject amoungst NBA fans!

This tanking was some of the most obvious in sports history

Maybe you don't remember the Warriors fans BOOING their GM on Chris Mullin night? Why, because they traded Ellis, shut down curry, and started tanking... Everyone that follows the NBA knew this...

How you don't know this is mystifying!!!!!

You either don't follow the NBA, or are just arguing for the sake of arguing...

You know you are in the wrong, the 2011-2012 Warriors tanked HARD the last 3rd of the season... HARD... went from playoff contention, to saving their top 7 lottery pick...

They tanked, they got Harrison Barnes, that's it

The Golden State Warriors are the latest example of what happens when pick protection goes bad. To try to hold onto their top-seven protected pick, the Warriors have thoroughly tanked the second half of their season -- on Saturday night, rookie Charles Jenkins played 48 minutes and Mikki Moore got 24 minutes.

NBA teams have been tanking for decades to improve their draft position (and for other reasons), and NBA insiders have talked about tanking for decades -- in fact, over the years the NBA itself has recognized the potential for tanking and dealt with it in various ways, including altering the draft system multiple times to try to prevent it. Meanwhile, as the discourse about tanking has gone public, there have been thousands of articles written about the problem, including by such writers as Sam Smith and Bill Simmons.

http://www.bayareaba...sketball-jones/

http://goldenstatewa...25374&start=255

I mean seriously... whats your angle?

#8 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,924 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted May 20, 2013 - 04:48 AM

Few teams get rewarded for their tanking.  Toronto has been doing it for quite some time now, and it became so evident at one point, RealGM's Raptors forum had a ton of fans Photoshopping their players, with those awkward military-like jerseys on (no idea why Toronto decided to wear those), in war pictures of tanks and such.

It's rare that a team comes along and tanks part of their season, picks up a great player, and turns into a contender.  Some speculate that the 2003 Cavaliers tanked, and while it led to LeBron James, it may have been the true reason Boozer walked after just two seasons.

But really, the Spurs are always going to be the first team that comes to mind, because nobody will ever be able to convince me that they didn't tank for Tim Duncan.  David Robinson fooled many people, playing just six games that season, and they had a lot of decent talent and SHOULD have avoided a 20-win season, even with D-Rob out of commission.

But again, you look at teams like Charlotte, Toronto, Detroit, Sacramento, and Washington...teams that seem to get up and win games against contenders at random, but then lay massive eggs against others that they should beat.  None of those have been worth anything for quite some time now.

Charlotte, who has been stacking picks (intentional or not), has won over 34 games just ONCE in nine years of existence (meaning, eight lotto picks - and plus one extra in trade).

Michael Kidd-Gilchrist

Kemba Walker

Gerald Henderson

DJ Augustin

Brandan Wright

Adam Morrison

Raymond Felton

Sean May

Emeka Okafor

To this day, still one of the worst teams in the league...with yet another lotto pick.

Funny part is, they've never won the lottery.

You'll get teams that will tank, but don't expect it from THAT many.  Fans aren't ignorant, and they'll identify a decent team doing it quicker than anything...and while you're risking losing interest in free agency, risk losing players' trust and faith in that franchise focused primarily on winning, you also deplete fan interest...which means poor ticket sales.  With tax penalties, and a lot of teams' owners already struggling with their money (partly due to bad decisions when it comes to writing checks for these players), it's just not always going to be the smart thing to do.

#9 bigvee

bigvee

Hall Of Fame

• 9,230 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted May 20, 2013 - 06:01 AM

The top pick has been going to the team who loses their superstar anyways. I'll be shocked if Orlando doesn't get the first or second pick.

#10 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,597 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted May 20, 2013 - 07:01 AM

we should be tanking

pride cant make you a contender. draft picks can.

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

#11 reryo

reryo

Rookie

• 1,332 posts
  • Name:Lee
  • Fan Since:2006
  • Fav. Laker:Odom

Posted May 20, 2013 - 07:58 AM

So at least 15 teams will tank next season? And you expect the Lakers to get a top 5 pick even though 14 other teams may also be tanking? Will it be worth it if the Lakers end up with a pick outside the top ten? Just because its a loaded draft doesn't mean everyone is going to turn out like Kobe, Lebron, KG, etc. 

#12 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,360 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted May 20, 2013 - 08:29 AM

Lakers will never tank a season. Never did in their existence.  ESpecially for a draft.  I cannot believe you put the Lakers in the same sentense with the word tanking. 

but having said that, I think the players might tank just so MDA can be fired.  But for the NBA draft, no way in hell.

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#13 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,360 posts

Posted May 20, 2013 - 08:46 AM

we should be tanking

pride cant make you a contender. draft picks can.

I have to disagree with you.  The NBA draft now a days are as relevant as an MLB draft.  All you getting are prospects. Drafting high doesn't make you a contender. THere are more bust coming out of the draft since 2010 than ever before.  Is it because of the one and done rule? Is it because of the lack of talent in college now? Who knows. But the past few years we have the same teams in the lottery for a reason. They all have high picks and still suck.

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#14 fido

fido

• 11,910 posts

Posted May 20, 2013 - 10:05 AM

I'm only being disagreeable with you for the heck of it.

I'm being disagreeable because you're flat out wrong.

#15 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,360 posts

Posted May 20, 2013 - 10:21 AM

You can disagree with me for any reasons you wish. Flat out wrong? Probably not but if you believe so, oh well.   Obviously all of your OPINIONS are always right..

#16 Lakerace24

Lakerace24

Sixth Man

• 3,500 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted May 20, 2013 - 10:24 AM

You can disagree with me for any reasons you wish. Flat out wrong? Probably not but if you believe so, oh well. Obviously all of your OPINIONS are always right..

You know he's not talking to you right?

#17 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,597 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted May 20, 2013 - 10:28 AM

some of you still havnt accepted facts yet. Its ok. It will make sense in time.

new owner
new FO

new coach

new game plan (or lack thereof)

new roster

new leader

new CBA

new cap rules

new league

new marketing

new advertising

new money

While you still cling to the fish the Lakers caught 34 years ago. Everything is different. Everything has changed. I wouldnt say "never".

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

#18 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,360 posts

Posted May 20, 2013 - 11:07 AM

You know he's not talking to you right?

Apparently not.  Shows that I can be wrong

#19 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 14,269 posts

Posted May 20, 2013 - 05:01 PM

I'm only being disagreeable with you for the heck of it.

I'm being disagreeable because you're flat out wrong.

You think a .500 teams goes 5-21 if they are trying?
Why would they trade their 2nd best player for a player that is hurt for the season?

Golden state tanked hard last season...
Everyone knows it...

Please, post your argument why they didnt tank?

And, if that's not tanking, provide a example of a team tanking...

#20 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,198 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted May 20, 2013 - 06:23 PM

Spurs tanked? Even more of a reason to hate em

Pau Gasol is GONE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users