fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,829 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted May 20, 2013 - 12:06 AM

Oh please.

So you put n NBDL title on the same level as a junior high school championship?  A high school / CIF title is the same as an NBA championship?  Seriously?!  Wow, man, I don't think there's a word for how wrong you are on this.

Carmelo will never win a ring unless he is the secondary player on a team - won't happen.  Not a leader in any sense of the word, just a scorer, nothing more, nothing less.

#42 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 12,942 posts
  • Fan Since:1986
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 20, 2013 - 12:57 AM

So you put n NBDL title on the same level as a junior high school championship?  A high school / CIF title is the same as an NBA championship?  Seriously?!  Wow, man, I don't think there's a word for how wrong you are on this.

Carmelo will never win a ring unless he is the secondary player on a team - won't happen.  Not a leader in any sense of the word, just a scorer, nothing more, nothing less.

The NBDL is the minor league??? Your comparing minor leagues to college now?

Players go to college, and play with the best of the best...

Players not good enough to be pros go to the minors...

You saying Coach K, and John Wooden don't deserve respect because its not a professional league?

Your so far off base here its not even funny...

The NCAA championship, is a pretty big deal... its not some minor league title, or YMCA rec league...

The NCAA Championship is a pretty big deal...  no one is saying its better then the NBA title...

#43 fido

fido

• 10,829 posts

Posted May 20, 2013 - 01:44 AM

You're the one who said a title is a title.

An NCAA title is far different from an NBA title, I'm the one who said that.  Read your own posts before you try to change the subject.  Don't spin it back to me as if I said what you did.

And this coaches / respect thing.  you've brought this up, I never said anything regarding that.  The point was that winning an NCAA title is a far different beast than winning an NBA title.  I never said anything about respecting coaches.  Once again, you're spinning something I never said onto me to bury your absolutely off-base point on a title being a title, no matter what it is.

I never said it was a better than an NBA title, nor did you.  Not even reading your own words now.  You said a title is a title in your book.  You never gave specifics.  If you're going to say blanket statements like that you might wanna think about it before you type it.

You won't win this argument.  In several threads in the past you've made your opinion moot, this is just another hole you've dug yourself.  You won't get out of it by trying to turn the spotlight on my statements as if I'm the one who made a completely ridiculous statement.

#44 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 12,942 posts

Posted May 20, 2013 - 04:04 AM

Serious man, It seems you are arguing for the sake of argument...

I feel like you are trolling...

A title is a title... When you play against the best you can play against, and win it all, that a plus in my book...

You going to knock a 18 year old college kid that leads his team to a NCAA championship, because its not an NBA championship? Something that he cant even play for? because he is in the NCAA, and not the NBA...

#45 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 12,942 posts

Posted May 20, 2013 - 04:15 AM

Okay, ill give everything another read... and see if I get what your saying...

you said...

You won't win a championship with Carmelo as your main option. 

And I said... Melo has ALREADY won a championship (which let the record show, he has won a NCAA CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!!)

To which you responded,

An NCAA championship is not in the same stratosphere as a title in a professional league.

so, you contradict yourself by ADMITTING HE HAS ALREADY WON A CHAMPIONSHIP (disproving your orginal primary statement, by your OWN admission)

So, then you decided to attack the credibility of the NCAA Championship... Which is strange... you just admitted you were wrong... yet... kept on digging...

Then I point out, as a college player in the NCAA, those players are playing against the BEST PLAYERS POSSIBLE...

Then, what about Melo LEADING TEAM USA in scoring en route to a Gold medal game? Does that mean anything?

Your main point is you don't think melo can lead a team to a championship...

When the FACT IS, he ALREADY HAS!!!! NCAA, AND Olympics...

Im no melo fan, but give the man his respect...

He is a WINNER!!! not his fault he went up against Kobe in the playoffs every freaking year...

Melo has a Chance to be one of the few players to ever win a NCAA title, NBA Champion, and Olympic Gold medal!!!! (something Kobe and Bron can NEVER DO)

Melo is a great player...

#46 fido

fido

• 10,829 posts

Posted May 20, 2013 - 10:01 AM

Weak tries dude, but you're the one who said "a title is a title in my book".

I said he won't win one as the main / featured player.  This is an NBA forum, you know I was referring to an NBA championship. 

Case closed.

#47 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,366 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 20, 2013 - 10:08 AM

popcorn_yes.gif

#48 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 12,942 posts

Posted May 20, 2013 - 11:18 PM

Only cause west coast wants more...

Melo won a NCAA championship as the number one optiion, and team leader! As a freshman! How many freshmen have lead their team to a NCAA title? Not many!

Melo also lead team USA in scoring as they won a olymipc gold medal!

I cannot even think of another player who has done that! Can you? Tell me an example where some has been the leader of a team on multi-championship teams, at different levels?

Kareem didn't even PLAY as a freshman in college! Melo won a championship as a freshman! That counts as serious stuff in my book!

Melo will win a championship in the NBA!

#49 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,418 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted May 21, 2013 - 12:25 AM

Only cause west coast wants more...

Melo won a NCAA championship as the number one optiion, and team leader! As a freshman! How many freshmen have lead their team to a NCAA title? Not many!

Melo also lead team USA in scoring as they won a olymipc gold medal!

I cannot even think of another player who has done that! Can you? Tell me an example where some has been the leader of a team on multi-championship teams, at different levels?

Kareem didn't even PLAY as a freshman in college! Melo won a championship as a freshman! That counts as serious stuff in my book!

Melo will win a championship in the NBA!

Didn't know the leader of a team sits on the bench during the closing moments

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=fhpVE5Yfvhc

You see Melo on the bench......and Kobe leading the team to victory.

#50 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,105 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted May 21, 2013 - 12:36 AM

Didn't know the leader of a team sits on the bench during the closing moments

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=fhpVE5Yfvhc

You see Melo on the bench......and Kobe leading the team to victory.

What that does is really prove fido's point entirely.

When he said Melo is a scorer.

He may have lead Team USA in scoring, but Kobe was the leader of that team.

If he played on the Lakers with Kobe and(hopefully) Dwight, he could lead the team in scoring, but the team would be Dwights and/or Kobe's to lead. 

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#51 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 12,942 posts

Posted May 21, 2013 - 02:08 AM

If he played on the Lakers with Kobe and(hopefully) Dwight, he could lead the team in scoring, but the team would be Dwights and/or Kobe's to lead. 

Yes, Kobe was the leader...
But melo was the teams leading scorer...
Like I said, I'm no melo fan, but I will defend those that are attacked...

MJ and Kobe have got this whole thing messed up, where if a player isn't the leader, and leading scorer, he is knocked on...
Melo is a great player, a great scorer...

Dude has won an NCaa championship, and Olympic gold as the teams leading scorer...
I just give him the respect he deserves...

#52 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,105 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted May 21, 2013 - 05:41 AM

Yes, Kobe was the leader...
But melo was the teams leading scorer...
Like I said, I'm no melo fan, but I will defend those that are attacked...

MJ and Kobe have got this whole thing messed up, where if a player isn't the leader, and leading scorer, he is knocked on...
Melo is a great player, a great scorer...

Dude has won an NCaa championship, and Olympic gold as the teams leading scorer...
I just give him the respect he deserves...

That's what Melo can do though. He can score.

He can be the leading scorer on the Lakers, but Kobe and/or Dwight would have to be the leader to reach ultimate success.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#53 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,418 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted May 21, 2013 - 08:51 AM

Saying "if Melo came here..." over and over is not going to make him come here........

Edited by LakeShow805, May 21, 2013 - 08:53 AM.

#54 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,366 posts

Posted May 21, 2013 - 08:58 AM

Oh and Fido is correct on this, I'm just getting a kick out of how wrong you are TKain

#55 stillshining

stillshining

Rookie

• 281 posts
  • Name:Adam
  • Fan Since:1993
  • Fav. Laker:Slava Medvedenko

Posted May 21, 2013 - 12:28 PM

For anyone to say Carmelo can never be a focal part of a championship is a bit foolish IMO, I agree with the notion that you need to be more than just a scorer to lead a team to a title but if the RIGHT pieces are around him I am sure Carmelo could be the number one option on a championship team. I don't have to look back farther than the 2011 playoffs when a WEAKER all around player than Melo lead his team past teams anchored by Kobe, Durant and Lebron (three best players IMO). Why? Because he had capable teammates that thrived on his deficiencies.

#56 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,772 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted May 22, 2013 - 01:07 PM

Oh and Fido is correct on this, I'm just getting a kick out of how wrong you are TKain

Lol I love how you say it like there is a definite answer, its an opinion based topic much like all on this forum this is no clear right and wrong answer.

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#57 CueTheRain

CueTheRain

Rookie

• 818 posts
  • Fan Since:1990

Posted May 24, 2013 - 07:58 AM

For anyone to say Carmelo can never be a focal part of a championship is a bit foolish IMO, I agree with the notion that you need to be more than just a scorer to lead a team to a title but if the RIGHT pieces are around him I am sure Carmelo could be the number one option on a championship team. I don't have to look back farther than the 2011 playoffs when a WEAKER all around player than Melo lead his team past teams anchored by Kobe, Durant and Lebron (three best players IMO). Why? Because he had capable teammates that thrived on his deficiencies.

Of course it's possible, but look at the currently constructed Knicks. The team is designed completely around him. Felton passes, Chandler defends and rebounds for him, the rest wait for a pass. I suppose you could add 3 point shooters for a kick out, more tenacious rebounders and help defenders for him, but any team would get better with those changes.

#58 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,074 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted May 24, 2013 - 09:57 AM

I wondered if this surgery can also help his defensive skills too?  Or maybe make him realized that it is not illegal to drive to the basket instead of taking jump shots.

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users