57 replies to this topic

#21 CueTheRain

CueTheRain

Rookie

• 824 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 18, 2013 - 11:48 PM

has NY used their amnesty clause already?

I think they amnestied Billups in order to create cap space to sign Chandler.

#22 fozi

fozi

Off The Bench

• 1,858 posts

Posted May 19, 2013 - 01:50 AM

only way i see Melo wins a ring, is having lesser role in offense as being the second option by taking selective shots....

Melo is not the player that can win it all nor is he a leader ..

Pair Melo with cp3 or Orlando Howard and then he might be a viable threat ..

#23 b.diddy2417

b.diddy2417

Rookie

• 312 posts
  • Name:Brian
  • Fan Since:since i was 5

Posted May 19, 2013 - 05:16 AM

Melo has to change his game. NY will never win any rings. Melo has to play with another Star player ala Lebron. If.....

and Majesty.......... I wouldn't take anything less than USA Olympic team Melo. That Melo could win a ring...

That melo actually played great defense but he needs more touches in the post he has been effective there this year. ... Also They need a point guard that puts pressure on defense like rondo , Westbrook , Chris Paul ,Deron Williams .etc but they need a better number one option but they won't unless they have a way to dump Amare because I don't think nobody wants him not even the bobcats

#24 lakers1o1

lakers1o1

Off The Bench

• 2,536 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted May 19, 2013 - 08:56 AM

The Knicks losing really does have nothing to do with Carmelo but everything to do with the team management both on the court and off the court in the front office.

Yeah they have solid pieces, but it seems like they just couldn't put it together.  Their team relied way to much on the play of both Melo and Smith, and when those players weren't producing enough, the team fell apart.  Kidd is too old and Chandler can't carry the teams defense on his own.  Their bench is basically based on Steve Novak's success from the 3 and it was terrible in the offseason (No I don't consider JR a bench player haha)

If Melo were to join LA and play with another SUPERSTAR such as Dwight and learn from Kobe, I'm sure his playstyle will change.  Throughout his career he's never really played alongside a superstar in his prime.  Allen Iverson was probably the biggest name Melo ever played with and even he was way out of his golden years.  With Melo so versatile and capable of playing the 4, a strong lineup could easily be built around Melo and Dwight.

Thinking about it, Kobe has always been a great scorer and player in general.  Still even he wasn't able to win until another Superstar in Pau Gasol came in to help take the load off his shoulders.  The entire Knicks offense is unreliable outside of JR and with Melo being double and not many options to pass the ball to, the Knicks had nothing really.

kb24_zpscc8c9e5b.jpg

#25 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,879 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001

Posted May 19, 2013 - 09:28 AM

The entire Knicks offense is unreliable outside of JR and with Melo being double and not many options to pass the ball to, the Knicks had nothing really.

It is unreliable even with those goes, actually especially with those guys. Look I love Melo's game he is fun to watch and has a great offensive skill set, problem is he needs a solid number two guy to win series and JR is the opposite of that. Melo and JR both count on making their 3's and crazy 19 foot jumpers for 2's and that isnt a good offense to bet on. When their both hot their team is impossible to beat because the shots they take you cant defend because they are just that unguradable shots and if their making them your at their mercy, problem is you dont bet on 19 foot jumpers to win you a chip, you cant.

The only time those guys are missing jumpers is when they are off, hard defense helps but their gonna take that step back fade away 17 footer with Paul George in their face or DJ Augistine and that is the problem. Melo is often aggressive but he is aggressive at jump shots he needs to go inside more. JR just loves trying to take and make Kobe like shots and that is why he is so damn streaky because he either is gonna miss a lot or make them regardless of defensive pressure.

This has always been the problem for me with the Knicks. Kobe might take very similar shots to Melo or JR but the thing is he goes in the post when it isnt working and also he has big men to throw the ball down to for them to get better looks. Melo and JR can not carry a team with that play style of trying to take horse like shots because while they might be some of the best players in the league at making them, they are not shots you bet a ring on.

The Knicks need a legit number two guy, a big man would be best to have paired with Melo not another jumpshot happy guy that can go from hot to frozen in the matter of a quarter.

Edited by PhillyLaker24, May 19, 2013 - 09:32 AM.

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#26 lakers1o1

lakers1o1

Off The Bench

• 2,536 posts

Posted May 19, 2013 - 09:57 AM

It is unreliable even with those goes, actually especially with those guys. Look I love Melo's game he is fun to watch and has a great offensive skill set, problem is he needs a solid number two guy to win series and JR is the opposite of that. Melo and JR both count on making their 3's and crazy 19 foot jumpers for 2's and that isnt a good offense to bet on. When their both hot their team is impossible to beat because the shots they take you cant defend because they are just that unguradable shots and if their making them your at their mercy, problem is you dont bet on 19 foot jumpers to win you a chip, you cant.

The only time those guys are missing jumpers is when they are off, hard defense helps but their gonna take that step back fade away 17 footer with Paul George in their face or DJ Augistine and that is the problem. Melo is often aggressive but he is aggressive at jump shots he needs to go inside more. JR just loves trying to take and make Kobe like shots and that is why he is so damn streaky because he either is gonna miss a lot or make them regardless of defensive pressure.

This has always been the problem for me with the Knicks. Kobe might take very similar shots to Melo or JR but the thing is he goes in the post when it isnt working and also he has big men to throw the ball down to for them to get better looks. Melo and JR can not carry a team with that play style of trying to take horse like shots because while they might be some of the best players in the league at making them, they are not shots you bet a ring on.

The Knicks need a legit number two guy, a big man would be best to have paired with Melo not another jumpshot happy guy that can go from hot to frozen in the matter of a quarter.

I agree with you 100% and this really goes for any superstar.

Any championship teams needs atleast 2 options.  Lebron couldn't do it himself, Kobe couldn't, and neither can Melo.

Thats why in my comment I stated how the arrival and deal for Gasol totally changed Kobe's career and success.  If Melo can get a player around him that can draw double teams and work efficiently as either as a dominant post player or athletic point, he will be unstoppable and get great looks.

Similar to how Durant has Westbrook and Lebron has Wade, if Melo gets another player around him who is reliable and draws attention both offensively and defensively, Melo can make a run at a ring.  I just don't see it with the Knicks being that they are stuck with the 15 million contract of Chandler, 20 Million contract of Amare, and I think 5-6 million or so for Steve Novak....

With JR Smith out, Kidd aging, and Felton being inconsistent, Shumpert is their only hope really.

kb24_zpscc8c9e5b.jpg

#27 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,299 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted May 19, 2013 - 12:32 PM

You won't win a championship with Carmelo as your main option.  Said it since day one when he came into the league.  He is not the type of guy you can lean on to bring you to the end.

The guy can score, and that's about it.  So many aspects of the game are completely ignored by him.

#28 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 38,602 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted May 19, 2013 - 12:52 PM

Hence  forth why I wouldn't worry about Carmelo if he came ot the Lakers in 2014.  Because he wouldn't be the main option, he'd be a scoring option and he wouldn't be relied on to do everything and his responsibilities would be shrank.

I think he can excel in that type of role.  I think it's a role he'll want after carrying the Knicks for another year to little success next year.

On a team with Dwight and with Kobe to learn from I think he'll probably play the best basketball of his career. 

I'm not going to lie, I've always wanted Carmelo as a Laker, but always as a backseat to Kobe or to another superstar, because I think that he's the good end of a one two punch, otherwise he'd be a haymaker.   Wonderful if it lands, but leaving you wide open if missed.  If you get what I'm saying.

So I think a starting lineup of Kobe carmelo and Dwight would do a lot of damage.  Nash is still the point guard as well so I don't mind that.

We could actually move Clark to the 3 and Melo to the 4 or keep Melo at the 3 and put Hill as the 4 and either lineup works.

Because the ball would be in Kobe's hands and Nash and Carmelo would be playing off ball to Kobe and Dwight.

I think that benefits them both tremendously.   It also gives Kobe a second option that CAN go off for 20-25 a game which he does need.   I think it would be the first time Kobe had another wing player as a teammate capable of that.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#29 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,879 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001

Posted May 19, 2013 - 12:55 PM

You won't win a championship with Carmelo as your main option.  Said it since day one when he came into the league.  he is not the type of guy you can lean on to bring you to the end.

The guy can score, and that's about it.  So many aspects of the game are completely ignored by him.

I disagree with this, Melo needs to have a solid team around him. Saying the player with the best all around offensive game in the league cant be your number one option and you cant win a chip just doesnt make any sense.

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#30 lakers1o1

lakers1o1

Off The Bench

• 2,536 posts

Posted May 19, 2013 - 02:25 PM

Carmelo and Kevin Durant are two nearly identical players.  The difference is KD has Westbrook.

If you put someone along side Melo with Westbrooks ability and talent, WATCH OUT.

kb24_zpscc8c9e5b.jpg

#31 BleedPurple&Gold

BleedPurple&Gold

All-Star

• 6,399 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe,Magic

Posted May 19, 2013 - 02:31 PM

^^ Soo wrong

KD is nothing like Melo, KD knows how to share the ball good passer too, get rebounds, plays good D, and just because he is long he can block shots. Only thing identical is they're both phenomenal scorers. 

Edited by BleedPurple&Gold, May 19, 2013 - 02:40 PM.

9888d4ba-ad6b-4879-93aa-9ef1c6ed1dbd_zps

#32 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,104 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted May 19, 2013 - 05:22 PM

Is Wade a similar player to  JR Smith?

Is Amare a similar player to Bosh?

Who has more help?

#33 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,104 posts

Posted May 19, 2013 - 05:30 PM

So LeBron couldn't win either right?

Lets look at everybody's teams in the Final 8 by position

Felton

Chalmers

Hill

Parker

Conley

Jackson

Robinson

Curry-

Instead of going through it all

I'll ficus on the Knicks

Prigioni

kenyon Martin

Jr Smith

Jason Kidd

Tyson Chandler

all one dimensional players. Amare is hurt.

Now

If you look at the SF on the Pacers- Paul George. He could lean on Hibbert and David West...plus young guys like DJ Augistin,Hill,Stephenson, Psycho T

If Amare was on David West's level, what do you think would have happened.

The Bottom line is two teams are REALLy built like campions.

Duncan' Spurs and The Heat and guess what 

LeBron is in his prime and its HIS time.

NYK, needs a WADE and a Bosh

#34 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 38,602 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted May 19, 2013 - 07:09 PM

So LeBron couldn't win either right?

Lets look at everybody's teams in the Final 8 by position

Felton

Chalmers

Hill

Parker

Conley

Jackson

Robinson

Curry-

Instead of going through it all

I'll ficus on the Knicks

Prigioni

kenyon Martin

Jr Smith

Jason Kidd

Tyson Chandler

all one dimensional players. Amare is hurt.

Now

If you look at the SF on the Pacers- Paul George. He could lean on Hibbert and David West...plus young guys like DJ Augistin,Hill,Stephenson, Psycho T

If Amare was on David West's level, what do you think would have happened.

The Bottom line is two teams are REALLy built like campions.

Duncan' Spurs and The Heat and guess what 

LeBron is in his prime and its HIS time.

NYK, needs a WADE and a Bosh

Or Carmelo needs a KOBE and a Dwight ^_^

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#35 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,104 posts

Posted May 19, 2013 - 07:46 PM

Not even a Kobe...it could work, he could certainly replace Pau as our secondary scorer, or possibly primary scoreer, and second most impotant offensive player

But, what Melo needs is a team built for the post season.

If Amare WERE healthy, that would at least give them another scoring threat, but with Chandler and martin, he was put in a worse position than CP3, who at least had Blake Griffin, and to add Jamal Crawford proved to be more valuable than JR Smith

#36 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,948 posts

Posted May 19, 2013 - 08:44 PM

Felton laid a huge egg in Game 6 smh

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#37 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,847 posts
  • Fan Since:1986
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 19, 2013 - 09:40 PM

Melo at the 4 next to Dwight would be crazy good...

Then you get a tough guy 4 off the bench, and your set

#38 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,847 posts

Posted May 19, 2013 - 09:42 PM

You won't win a championship with Carmelo as your main option.  Said it since day one when he came into the league.  he is not the type of guy you can lean on to bring you to the end.

Just a recap...

Melo won a NCAA championship at Syracuse...

I believe he was the main option...

#39 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,299 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted May 19, 2013 - 10:17 PM

An NCAA championship is not in the same stratosphere as a title in a professional league.

Not even close.

#40 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,847 posts

Posted May 19, 2013 - 10:28 PM

So coach K doesn't any respect?

An NCAA championship is not in the same stratosphere as a title in a professional league.

Not even close.

A title is a title... When you play against the best you can play against, and win it all, that a plus in my book...

Melo is good, and is a great clutch time player, and he will get his ring, and i don't think he will do it like Lebron/Bosh...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users