#1 b.diddy2417

b.diddy2417

Rookie

• 298 posts
  • Name:Brian
  • Fan Since:since i was 5
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 18, 2013 - 07:22 PM

I don't see him staying with the Knicks unless they have a valid 2nd option . i know they have Ama're Stoudemire but from we can tell so far carmelo and stat dont play well side by side but I don't see this team going to finals unless they make moves to get a 2nd option to help Carmelo

#2 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,377 posts

Posted May 18, 2013 - 07:24 PM

Melo at the end of this game

ReggieChoke.jpg

#3 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

16 Time NBA Champions Los Angeles Lakers!

• 10,578 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe and Ron Artest

Posted May 18, 2013 - 07:27 PM

I don't see Melo leaving his hometown Knicks.

#4 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,686 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted May 18, 2013 - 07:39 PM

ReggieChoke.jpg

That belongs to JR Smith,

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#5 KobeBeef24

KobeBeef24

O' Canada!

• 1,247 posts
  • Fan Since:2007
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, MWP, Swaggy P, LO, Pau

Posted May 18, 2013 - 07:49 PM

He and his wife love NYC, he's not going anywhere.

#6 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,686 posts

Posted May 18, 2013 - 07:56 PM

But let me just get everything out of the way before someone says don't say it I will lay out all scenario's that people can think of :) 

Here you go

*clears throat*

When Carmelo doesn't sign an extension next year by midway through the season the Knicks will look to unload him rather than lose him in free agency. 

If Carmelo is giving the idea that he is going to opt out for the 2014 draft, the Knicks will look to unload him before then.

Carmelo stays with the Knicks and after another failure leaves in the 2014 draft. 

See the problem when it comes to what Melo deals with aside from shot selection and little defense is that his coach refuses to play him at the 4 or play him in the post where he is shown to be most effective.

But also the fact that Melo has no second option, Amar'e isn't it.

Carmelo needs a Chris Paul by his side or a Kobe Bryant by his side if he wants to do something.

One of the reasons if the Lakers re-sign Dwight that they are such a hot free agent destination is because they'd already have a superstar and would only need a second one. 

That's why free agents like Carmelo would more than likely try to head here.   Because they need a second star with them IF we re-sign Dwight we'd already have that star.

Thus why people like Carmelo would probably make a bid to come here.

Much as people probably hate the prospect of Carmelo being a Laker, he's probably the only free agent we have an absolute shot at landing in 2014.   Because the Knicks will fail for two more years.

Paul george likely won't leave Indiana,  LeBron James if successful isn't gonna turn down the max from Miami.

The only two we'd have a shot at really landing are probably John Wall(whose Wizards will be losing and knows he can get a max contract but would be wasting his prime in Washington) and Carmelo Anthony(who is tired of never getting past the second round and needs another option beside him to do damage)

Those two guys are probably our biggest chances at landing.

So if the Knicks fail again and the Wizards stay the same, look for both of them to be on our radar in the 2014 off-season.   If Kobe stays that 2014 year we'll probably be contending for a Championship.

But all that said, its all moot if Dwight doesn't re-sign.  

#7 pkflyers

pkflyers

• 8,803 posts

Posted May 18, 2013 - 08:09 PM

ReggieChoke.jpg

idk if you can blame it all on melo, he reminded me of kobe out there at times playing with a bunch of scrubs

13z8pc6.jpg

#8 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,377 posts

Posted May 18, 2013 - 08:14 PM

idk if you can blame it all on melo, he reminded me of kobe out there at times playing with a bunch of scrubs

Not blaming it all on Melo, just pointing out that he didn't rise up to the challenge in the fourth quarter. 2-7 from the floor I believe, with one of those being a meaningless dunk in the final minute.

18 total points in the fourth for the Knicks.  That Reggie Miller picture pretty much pertains to that entire team.

#9 lakers1o1

lakers1o1

Off The Bench

• 2,520 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted May 18, 2013 - 08:20 PM

Melo is never going to get a ring in NY.

kb24_zpscc8c9e5b.jpg

#10 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,686 posts

Posted May 18, 2013 - 08:55 PM

Melo is never going to get a ring in NY.

Would he get one in LA if he listened to Kobe about the "right" way to play?

Since Kobe says that Melo is the closest person to him that's not a teammate as well as his best friend and little brother.  Do you think Melo would spread the ball more and commit more on the defensive end of Kobe demanded it of him? 

Kobe said it perfectly when he said "Eventually he's gonna get tired of losing to me in the first or second round."

Maybe that meant something else too.

#11 Drazard

Drazard

The Death Bringer

• 1,748 posts
  • Name:Drazard

Posted May 18, 2013 - 09:17 PM

I don't see Melo leaving his hometown Knicks.

Agree, but he wants out then we have Pau Gasol for him !  :laughing:

33bkfif.jpg

#12 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Just A Fan

• 3,187 posts
  • Name:JP
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted May 18, 2013 - 09:17 PM

Melo has to change his game. NY will never win any rings. Melo has to play with another Star player ala Lebron. If.....

and Majesty.......... I wouldn't take anything less than USA Olympic team Melo. That Melo could win a ring...
Posted Image

#13 CueTheRain

CueTheRain

Rookie

• 820 posts
  • Fan Since:1990

Posted May 18, 2013 - 09:23 PM

Would he get one in LA if he listened to Kobe about the "right" way to play?

Since Kobe says that Melo is the closest person to him that's not a teammate as well as his best friend and little brother.  Do you think Melo would spread the ball more and commit more on the defensive end of Kobe demanded it of him? 

Kobe said it perfectly when he said "Eventually he's gonna get tired of losing to me in the first or second round."

Maybe that meant something else too.

Look at what New York had to do these past few seasons just to tool the roster to Carmelo's liking. I'm not making a judgment on any of these moves, but look at: Letting Lin go, getting all of these old complementary role players (not a bad thing necessarily), an isolation coach, etc. My point is that they shaped the roster so that the offense revolves completely around him and nobody else. They were eliminated in the second round for all their troubles. If Carmelo was signed by LA in 2014 (I certainly hope not), Kobe wouldn't be in LA for much longer if he is even here still. 

It may have been his supporting cast that lost them the series, but Carmelo was a direct factor in the way NY's roster turned out. He rushed the trade to NY when he could have just signed with them. NY would have kept Gallinari, Chandler, Mozgov, and Felton (got him  back anyways) along with three picks. His desire to stay as the alpha dog turned the roster into what it is today. I'd hate to see the statline: 25 points, 9-35 shooting, 2 rebounds, 0 assists. He won't play defense, and he won't be a winner unless he takes a complementary role as a second option down the line.

I hope the Lakers never sign him and if they do, we won't win a championship for a long time.

Edited by CueTheRain, May 18, 2013 - 09:24 PM.

#14 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,623 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted May 18, 2013 - 09:43 PM

Knicks wont be able to do [expletive] until they trade amare(which wont happen) or when his contract is up. 

#15 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,686 posts

Posted May 18, 2013 - 10:01 PM

Look at what New York had to do these past few seasons just to tool the roster to Carmelo's liking. I'm not making a judgment on any of these moves, but look at: Letting Lin go, getting all of these old complementary role players (not a bad thing necessarily), an isolation coach, etc. My point is that they shaped the roster so that the offense revolves completely around him and nobody else. They were eliminated in the second round for all their troubles. If Carmelo was signed by LA in 2014 (I certainly hope not), Kobe wouldn't be in LA for much longer if he is even here still. 

It may have been his supporting cast that lost them the series, but Carmelo was a direct factor in the way NY's roster turned out. He rushed the trade to NY when he could have just signed with them. NY would have kept Gallinari, Chandler, Mozgov, and Felton (got him  back anyways) along with three picks. His desire to stay as the alpha dog turned the roster into what it is today. I'd hate to see the statline: 25 points, 9-35 shooting, 2 rebounds, 0 assists. He won't play defense, and he won't be a winner unless he takes a complementary role as a second option down the line.

I hope the Lakers never sign him and if they do, we won't win a championship for a long time.

Them losing Lin didn't have anything to do with Carmelo.   Carmelo is the guy that wanted Lin to stay the most.

And Woodson tooled the offense to Carmelo because Carmelo IS the guy on that team.

Who is he gonna tool it around? Stoudamire?

D'antoni tried that.  He tried to put Amar'e and Carmelo together and it didn't work.

Woodson at least understood that Amar'e had to come off the bench. 

But trying to be critical of a coach for tailoring their offense around the star player is a bit pushing it isn't it?

Who is he gonna build the offense around?  Amar'e? Chandler? Smith?  get what I mean?

Edited by Majesty, May 18, 2013 - 10:02 PM.

#16 CueTheRain

CueTheRain

Rookie

• 820 posts

Posted May 18, 2013 - 10:52 PM

Them losing Lin didn't have anything to do with Carmelo.   Carmelo is the guy that wanted Lin to stay the most.

And Woodson tooled the offense to Carmelo because Carmelo IS the guy on that team.

Who is he gonna tool it around? Stoudamire?

D'antoni tried that.  He tried to put Amar'e and Carmelo together and it didn't work.

Woodson at least understood that Amar'e had to come off the bench. 

But trying to be critical of a coach for tailoring their offense around the star player is a bit pushing it isn't it?

Who is he gonna build the offense around?  Amar'e? Chandler? Smith?  get what I mean?

Your original question was whether Kobe could make it work having Carmelo here, and my response was that he is too much trouble to accommodate and that he is not worth it. You missed my point completely. I think Woodson has done a fine job actually since replacing MDA (defense wins games, what a surprise), it is just that NY had to tweak the team from ground up for him. Why can't Carmelo and Amar'e coexist? Granted that they do have different playstyles, LeBron and Bosh coexist just fine as a forward tandem. Paul George and David West, Barnes and Lee, Turner and Young, Pierce and Green are pairs of forwards off the top of my head that work decently well together as well. 

It seems to me like the only way Carmelo can "flourish" is to have him as the only offensive option, maybe a second option that shoots about half his shots (10-15, as J.R. Smith is right now), and a ton of unselfish role players that pass to him, rebound for him, screen for his isolations, etc.

Kobe respects Melo, but I don't think they have some secret plan to get him on the Lakers.

Edited by CueTheRain, May 18, 2013 - 10:53 PM.

#17 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,686 posts

Posted May 18, 2013 - 11:12 PM

Your original question was whether Kobe could make it work having Carmelo here, and my response was that he is too much trouble to accommodate and that he is not worth it. You missed my point completely. I think Woodson has done a fine job actually since replacing MDA (defense wins games, what a surprise), it is just that NY had to tweak the team from ground up for him. Why can't Carmelo and Amar'e coexist? Granted that they do have different playstyles, LeBron and Bosh coexist just fine as a forward tandem. Paul George and David West, Barnes and Lee, Turner and Young, Pierce and Green are pairs of forwards off the top of my head that work decently well together as well. 

It seems to me like the only way Carmelo can "flourish" is to have him as the only offensive option, maybe a second option that shoots about half his shots (10-15, as J.R. Smith is right now), and a ton of unselfish role players that pass to him, rebound for him, screen for his isolations, etc.

Kobe respects Melo, but I don't think they have some secret plan to get him on the Lakers.

The Knicks defense this year ended up directly next to ours actually.  they were good defensively for maybe 3 weeks and then they dropped to around or near where we ended up about midway through it.

They weren't much defensively better than us actually.

I think that Carmelo wishes he did have teammates to pass to so that he didn't HAVE to do so much the problem is that he doesn't seem to trust his teammates at times.

Today he did, maybe a bit too often as trying to find them in the fourth quarter lead to turnovers.

But the thing is, with Kobe, I think he'd be just fine being set up by him and having a much easier time not having to run himself ragid, which is actually caused a lot by himself though his coach doesn't help.

But Kobe can set up Carmelo in off-ball situations and find him when he makes defenses collapse.

Give Carmelo another season of the Knicks on his back and he will be begging for an off-ball role next to Kobe :laughing:

#18 CueTheRain

CueTheRain

Rookie

• 820 posts

Posted May 18, 2013 - 11:21 PM

The Knicks defense this year ended up directly next to ours actually.  they were good defensively for maybe 3 weeks and then they dropped to around or near where we ended up about midway through it.

They weren't much defensively better than us actually.

I think that Carmelo wishes he did have teammates to pass to so that he didn't HAVE to do so much the problem is that he doesn't seem to trust his teammates at times.

Today he did, maybe a bit too often as trying to find them in the fourth quarter lead to turnovers.

But the thing is, with Kobe, I think he'd be just fine being set up by him and having a much easier time not having to run himself ragid, which is actually caused a lot by himself though his coach doesn't help.

But Kobe can set up Carmelo in off-ball situations and find him when he makes defenses collapse.

Give Carmelo another season of the Knicks on his back and he will be begging for an off-ball role next to Kobe :laughing:

Good points made. I'm not really sure about how he feels about his team exactly, especially after tonight. I don't follow the Knicks that closely. If he's willing to take a contract around $10 million and a secondary/tertiary offensive option alongside Kobe and Dwight, that's a good acquisition. I just don't want him to become the clear centerpiece on the Lakers with a massive contract alongside it.

#19 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,686 posts

Posted May 18, 2013 - 11:26 PM

Good points made. I'm not really sure about how he feels about his team exactly, especially after tonight. I don't follow the Knicks that closely. If he's willing to take a contract around $10 million and a secondary/tertiary offensive option alongside Kobe and Dwight, that's a good acquisition. I just don't want him to become the clear centerpiece on the Lakers with a massive contract alongside it.

I don't think he would be :) He'd be around 30 by that time and entering in.

I think while Kobe is there and Dwight is there Melo would be off ball.

And when Kobe retires and Dwight is there we'd play inside out anyway so it would be Dwight setting up Melo off ball a lot anyway in tha situation as well.  

I think after another season of carrying the Knicks on his back no further than the second round he'll be willing to take that role.   He obviously isn't winning a ring with the Knicks unless they somehow sign Chris Paul this off-season.

#20 5thDroog

5thDroog

Kapow!

• 14,731 posts
  • Fav. Laker:24,32,33,44,13,22,16,34,5,2

Posted May 18, 2013 - 11:31 PM

has NY used their amnesty clause already?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users