9888d4ba-ad6b-4879-93aa-9ef1c6ed1dbd_zps

#42 netlord

netlord

Flying high

• 10,594 posts
  • Name:Alexi
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 19, 2013 - 01:20 PM

Grizzlies started playing after the 1st quarter, can't do that with the Spurs.

Posted Image

#43 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,829 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted May 19, 2013 - 01:32 PM

Watching this game, I'm definitely going with the Spurs in 6.  Thought the Grizzlies could pull this to 7, but the Spurs have a ton of grit and once again, having been there before (both players and coach) is such a giant advantage.

#44 Wilfred

Wilfred

Starter

• 4,739 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 19, 2013 - 01:38 PM

The Grizz need one good scorer to be a real contender. Gay was probably good ... but payroll considerations made them to send him away.

When they fall behind .. there is little chance of a comeback for Grizz unlike other good teams.

So they have to play defense and execute all the time.

That will take a toll

#45 KarlCalaguas12

KarlCalaguas12

Off The Bench

• 2,043 posts
  • Name:Karl
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted May 19, 2013 - 01:39 PM

I am kinda surprise with the results but I wouldn't say it is over yet. The Spurs wouldn't hit 14 threes again that's for sure.

#46 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,043 posts
  • Name:Pat

Posted May 19, 2013 - 01:40 PM

What people don't understand is that the Spurs aren't that old. Apart from Duncan and Ginobili, none of their regular rotation players are in their mid 30s or older. Parker and Diaw are in their early 30s, which I think is still young enough. It's a big difference in terms of basketball age.

You still can't have too many old players. The Spurs have a few old players, and surround those players with youth.

Edited by Japago, May 19, 2013 - 01:40 PM.

Posted Image

#47 LakersChamps243

LakersChamps243

5 rings on one hand. Onto the next. Silencing all the haters

• 5,358 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted May 19, 2013 - 01:40 PM

After watching game 1, I'm going with Spurs in six. And then they'll lose to the Heat in six in the finals. This is the spurs last real run to a title. It'll be the last time they're in the finals for a long time. 

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there" - John Wooden

#48 fido

fido

• 10,829 posts

Posted May 19, 2013 - 01:45 PM

Heard that before over and over.

I won't count the Spurs out until Duncan and Popovich have retired.  Until then, they'll always be contenders.

#49 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,079 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted May 19, 2013 - 01:48 PM

As has been the case with every Grizzlies game.  I'll wait till game 2, to decide.  Everything going right for the Spurs in game one but thus far consistently in these playoffs the Grizzlies will lose game one and have the other team figured out by game 2 and it will be much closer.

Not expecting San Antonio to get as many open threes in game 2, and I'm also not expecting Zbo to be held scoreless. 

This is the best game the Spurs could possibly muster, so we'll see how the Grizzlies adjust and respond in game 2.

But if you've learned anything from the Grizzlies in these playoffs it's this, never count them out after game one.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#50 netlord

netlord

Flying high

• 10,594 posts
  • Name:Alexi

Posted May 19, 2013 - 01:49 PM

Grizz are taking a beating, the Spurs have been here many times already. But until the Spurs win in Memphis this series is still alive.

Posted Image

#51 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,772 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted May 19, 2013 - 01:52 PM

As has been the case with every Grizzlies game.  I'll wait till game 2, to decide.  Everything going right for the Spurs in game one but thus far consistently in these playoffs the Grizzlies will lose game one and have the other team figured out by game 2 and it will be much closer.

Not expecting San Antonio to get as many open threes in game 2, and I'm also not expecting Zbo to be held scoreless. 

This is the best game the Spurs could possibly muster, so we'll see how the Grizzlies adjust and respond in game 2.

But if you've learned anything from the Grizzlies in these playoffs it's this, never count them out after game one.

Im not gonna count the Griz out either, but when Pondexter is your leading scorer thats bad. I expect Zbo to be better to, but the right scheme you can limit how much damage he can do. The Griz dont have that wing player to put up points and it showed big time here. If they some how manage to beat the spurs, the heat will run all over them with a much better offense and good defense.

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#52 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,079 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted May 19, 2013 - 01:54 PM

Grizz are taking a beating, the Spurs have been here many times already. But until the Spurs win in Memphis this series is still alive.

Pretty much

They beat the Thunder twice at home last year as well.

The Grizzlies though seem to be a great "adjustment" team. 

This is the Spurs best punch.  The Grizzlies have made a playoff run off of taking the opponents "best punch" and then coming back and winning the series.

This looks no different, except I don't expect the Spurs to hit 16 three pointers next game, I don't expect so many offensive fouls to go their way, and I don't expect Zbo to be held scoreless.

Game 2 will be the tell all as far as I'm concerned.

Im not gonna count the Griz out either, but when Pondexter is your leading scorer thats bad. I expect Zbo to be better to, but the right scheme you can limit how much damage he can do. The Griz dont have that wing player to put up points and it showed big time here. If they some how manage to beat the spurs, the heat will run all over them with a much better offense and good defense.

Not really.

The Grizz are a team where anyone can beat you on a given night, they aren't a superstar based team and Pondexter could have a huge noight or Conley could or Zbo could or Gasol could, there isn't one guy that is destined as their main scorer. 

Grizzlies win games by shutting down the perimeter and playing hard nose offense, not running through one specific player primarily.

They didn't shut down the perimeter good today, that's why their coach was on them.  And everytime they brought it close they gave up threes to San Antonio.

I don't expect that to happen in game 2 as much as it did today, and if the Grizz shut down the perimeter against the Spurs I'd like to see what else the Spurs come with after that.

Edited by Majesty, May 19, 2013 - 01:57 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#53 LakersChamps243

LakersChamps243

5 rings on one hand. Onto the next. Silencing all the haters

• 5,358 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted May 19, 2013 - 02:00 PM

Heard that before over and over.

I won't count the Spurs out until Duncan and Popovich have retired.  Until then, they'll always be contenders.

I have too I'm not just saying that like I'm a dumbass and don't know [expletive]. Two years ago they lost as the one seed in the first round. Last year they blew a 2-0 series lead and got a backdoor sweep at the hands of the Thunder. They'll continue being a contender in the West until Pop and Duncan retire but not a championship contender. This is it I'm telling you. Ginobili, Parker and Duncan are all getting older and older. They are very fortunate to have Ginobili as healthy as he is for this playoff run. Also the fact that they got to play us in the first round really helped them get back their groove. They were sucking entering the postseason had they played the Rockets instead of us the Warriors might have upset them in the second round. 

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there" - John Wooden

#54 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,772 posts

Posted May 19, 2013 - 02:07 PM

Not really.

The Grizz are a team where anyone can beat you on a given night, they aren't a superstar based team and Pondexter could have a huge noight or Conley could or Zbo could or Gasol could, there isn't one guy that is destined as their main scorer. 

Grizzlies win games by shutting down the perimeter and playing hard nose offense, not running through one specific player primarily.

They didn't shut down the perimeter good today, that's why their coach was on them.  And everytime they brought it close they gave up threes to San Antonio.

I don't expect that to happen in game 2 as much as it did today, and if the Grizz shut down the perimeter against the Spurs I'd like to see what else the Spurs come with after that.

No it is bad. This team relies on Zbo and Marc to be efftive down low and Conely to do work on the wing, if one of those guys arent the leading scorer thats not good news. I understand they dont have a number one guy, but they have three guys that normally are the culprit behind them winning a game and when they get out played by pondexter they shouldnt expect to win.

I expect the griz to come out better in game 2, but they just dont have the firepower to win the chip and not sure they can make it past the spurs. I understand their game is to play hard defense and smart offense, but a proper scheme can slow their offense to a halt and unless they have 5 gary paytons out there they wont be able to win a game when that happens. Sure it was a bad game and no one should look to much into it, I just feel that the spurs did a lot tonight to win. The griz didnt help their case by coming out flat but credit to the spurs for slowing down zbo and running a good offense tonight. Pop has a plan every night for this team and thats what you cant look pass, a talented team can go far with average coaching, but when you have a coach that has a scheme to deal with the opposing teams strength on top of a good team your talking ring.

Edited by PhillyLaker24, May 19, 2013 - 02:07 PM.

#55 reryo

reryo

Rookie

• 1,321 posts
  • Name:Lee
  • Fan Since:2006
  • Fav. Laker:Odom

Posted May 19, 2013 - 02:08 PM

So Memphis gets knocked in the jaw today, but its only 1-0. Hollins has to absolutely coach his ass off for the Grizzlies to take this series, especially when his team can't "out-talent" their opponent. OKC last season simply overwhelmed the Spurs through their superior scoring; the Grizzlies won't be able to do the same. 

#56 fido

fido

• 10,829 posts

Posted May 19, 2013 - 02:08 PM

Can't build team predictions on ifs though.  Every team has choked away series leads, the Spurs aren't some anomaly in that sense.

Again, what you're saying has been said time and time again.

Until Popovich and Duncan are done and gone the Spurs will still contend for a championship.  They will always be in the conversation, like it or not

#57 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,772 posts

Posted May 19, 2013 - 02:11 PM

So Memphis gets knocked in the jaw today, but its only 1-0. Hollins has to absolutely coach his ass off for the Grizzlies to take this series, especially when his team can't "out-talent" their opponent. OKC last season simply overwhelmed the Spurs through their superior scoring; the Grizzlies won't be able to do the same. 

This. I dont bet on Hollins out coaching Pop, and the griz no way have the same offense power the thunder had last year. Also dont forget for the thunder to beat the spurs last year Harden played like an animal and IMO he was the reason the thunder actually got passed the spurs. I dont think the Griz have anyone that can do this for them this year and hence why Im giving it to the spurs.

#58 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,043 posts

Posted May 19, 2013 - 03:33 PM

Age will get to the Spurs at some point. There was a reason why they went through years of early exits.

But, the Spurs put their older core at the best position possible to succeed by surrounding them with younger players and resting them once in awhile. Even that won't be enough at some point though.

Edited by Japago, May 19, 2013 - 03:40 PM.

Posted Image

#59 fido

fido

• 10,829 posts

Posted May 20, 2013 - 10:09 AM

Age wins man.

You are obsessed with age.

#60 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,043 posts

Posted May 20, 2013 - 12:32 PM

Age wins man.

You are obsessed with age.

Without having necessary youth on the team, you can't compete in today's league. Experience may help in big games, but you don't even get to the big games without youth/athleticism on the team. The Spurs were clearly on the decline before they got needed youth and athleticism on the team.

I'm probably just weary of somebody potentially trying to use that one day to justify the Lakers having mostly old players on the team.

Edited by Japago, May 20, 2013 - 12:37 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users