Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#2 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,037 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 17, 2013 - 05:50 PM

It was due to Kobe taking matters into his own hands (basically saying [expletive] MDA and his offense) and playing 40+ minutes a game to will the Lakers to that record until his achilles gave out. 

Edited by bfc1125roy, May 17, 2013 - 05:50 PM.

#3 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 38,581 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted May 17, 2013 - 05:56 PM

It was due to Kobe taking matters into his own hands (basically saying [expletive] MDA and his offense) and playing 40+ minutes a game to will the Lakers to that record until his achilles gave out. 

It wasn't just Kobe. 

Kobe played out of his mind all year and we were still losing.

Nash had a hand in it, as did Dwight finally becoming fully healthy again.

if those two factors never happened, Kobe could have continued playing as spectacular as he did but we still would have lost.

credit is given to Kobe deservedly so, but far too much credit is NOT given to Nash and Dwight.  Nash scored 22 points in the Lakers comeback against the Raptors.. no one talks about it.

Nash averaged 17/6 in 10 of his best games of the last 15, that was him finally settling into the off-ball role(before injury against the Kings),

As was Dwight's emergence finally getting some of his defensive timing back.

Kobe was spectacular but he would have been spectacular regardless.  It was Nash finally settling into the off-ball role and Dwight finally starting to become closer to his former self that helped.

Edited by Majesty, May 17, 2013 - 05:58 PM.

#4 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,113 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 17, 2013 - 06:03 PM

So what are you saying? You don't think changes are necessary?

Pau Gasol is GONE

#5 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,581 posts

Posted May 17, 2013 - 06:06 PM

So what are you saying? You don't think changes are necessary?

Oh no .. changes are DEFINITELY necessary

#6 Busty Bluth

Busty Bluth

--Hey Brother!--

• 21,839 posts
  • Name:Byron "Buster AKA Busty" Bluth

Posted May 17, 2013 - 07:11 PM

It doesn't matter. 0-4 in the playoffs.

Buster_bcfa40_2218659_zpsbf0d8a7a.gif

#7 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,423 posts

Posted May 17, 2013 - 07:19 PM

Like I said before, they definitely played better, but the difference between the first half and the second half of the season was that the Lakers won games they were supposed to win.

They were still very bad against playoff teams in the second half of the season. They had the second best record in the West sure, but they still weren't an elite team in my eyes. 

#8 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,581 posts

Posted May 17, 2013 - 07:37 PM

Like I said before, they definitely played better, but the difference between the first half and the second half of the season was that the Lakers won games they were supposed to win.

They were still very bad against playoff teams in the second half of the season. They had the second best record in the West sure, but they still weren't an elite team in my eyes. 

Do you have everyone else's record in the west against playoff teams in the last 40 games to compare to ours?

Edited by Majesty, May 17, 2013 - 07:37 PM.

#9 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,423 posts

Posted May 17, 2013 - 07:44 PM

Do you have everyone else's record in the west against playoff teams in the last 40 games to compare to ours?

Not off the top of my head :laughing:

I would have to look it up.  It's slow here at work so I'll see if I can look up the top four seeds from the West. 

#10 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,037 posts
  • Fan Since:2004

Posted May 17, 2013 - 07:46 PM

You're not going to be an elite team without an offense or a defense, it's as simple as that. 

#11 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,581 posts

Posted May 17, 2013 - 07:48 PM

Not off the top of my head :laughing:

I would have to look it up.  It's slow here at work so I'll see if I can look up the top four seeds from the West. 

Take your time :)

#12 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,423 posts

Posted May 17, 2013 - 07:50 PM

Sorry correction on my post, I meant against playoff teams on the road.  That was the argument I made in that other thread (forgot which one).

#13 reryo

reryo

Rookie

• 1,324 posts
  • Name:Lee
  • Fan Since:2006
  • Fav. Laker:Odom

Posted May 17, 2013 - 08:11 PM

[expletive] the regular season. Just look at the freakin Nuggets then and where they are now.

#14 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,423 posts

Posted May 17, 2013 - 08:16 PM

I'll just do the top 3 seeds since I don't really consider LAC 'elite'. :laughing:

Right off the bat, I'll tell you that no team was overly dominant on the road the last 40 games vs playoff teams.

Spurs - 11 games on the road vs playoff teams (4-7 record)

OKC - 10 games on the road vs playoff teams (4-6 record)

Denver - 6 games on the road vs playoff teams (3-3) - Also never thought Denver would go far because I didn't buy into their hype because they were so good at home but I wasn't sold on them on the road.

Lakers - 9 games on the road vs playoff teams (2-7 record)

Unlike those top 3 seeds, the Lakers never showed a consistent ability to win on the road the entire season, it didn't matter if it was playoff or non playoff teams.  Our most impressive win in the first half was our victory over the Warriors in OT when we rallied in the fourth.

Don't get me wrong, I was impressed by wins at home vs OKC and Memphis.  The road win vs Indiana was nice as well.  But down the stretch, I just couldn't label this team as 'elite'.  Our record was great and everything but I wanted to see more from this team.  We still had issues versus athletic teams and just could not slow them down.  That never changed.

Am I going to say that there wasn't potential in in that 28-12 record? Of course not because I thought our style of play towards the end of the season was a lot better and that was a recipe for success.  It's just unfortunate that it took Kobe going down for D'Antoni to finally say we are going to pound the ball inside.

We didn't see this team healthy playing the system most suited for this squad. That leaves something desired and that's why I just wasn't sold on them being considered 'elite' despite the record.

#15 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,581 posts

Posted May 17, 2013 - 08:32 PM

I'll just do the top 3 seeds since I don't really consider LAC 'elite'. :laughing:

Right off the bat, I'll tell you that no team was overly dominant on the road the last 40 games vs playoff teams.

Spurs - 11 games on the road vs playoff teams (4-7 record)

OKC - 10 games on the road vs playoff teams (4-6 record)

Denver - 6 games on the road vs playoff teams (3-3) - Also never thought Denver would go far because I didn't buy into their hype because they were so good at home but I wasn't sold on them on the road.

Lakers - 9 games on the road vs playoff teams (2-7 record)

Unlike those top 3 seeds, the Lakers never showed a consistent ability to win on the road the entire season, it didn't matter if it was playoff or non playoff teams.  Our most impressive win in the first half was our victory over the Warriors in OT when we rallied in the fourth.

Don't get me wrong, I was impressed by wins at home vs OKC and Memphis.  The road win vs Indiana was nice as well.  But down the stretch, I just couldn't label this team as 'elite'.  Our record was great and everything but I wanted to see more from this team.  We still had issues versus athletic teams and just could not slow them down.  That never changed.

Am I going to say that there wasn't potential in in that 28-12 record? Of course not because I thought our style of play towards the end of the season was a lot better and that was a recipe for success.  It's just unfortunate that it took Kobe going down for D'Antoni to finally say we are going to pound the ball inside.

We didn't see this team healthy playing the system most suited for this squad. That leaves something desired and that's why I just wasn't sold on them being considered 'elite' despite the record.

This is something I hope to see this season.   We had a pretty good idea at the end of the season, but we need to build on that so it isn't spontaneous and more or less becomes what we do.

We go through Pau and Dwight in the post, we play Nash off ball to Kobe. 

I think that is one of the main reasons that Kobe wants to core back because he feels the core knows how to play together now so he sees the potential in that 28-12 record in terms of finding a style of play that suits us.   That we need to build on and complete for the next season to something we actually craft and play with.

I think Kobe wants the core back for that reason.

#16 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,102 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted May 17, 2013 - 08:32 PM

It doesn't matter. 0-4 in the playoffs.

without Kobe, Nash, and ultimately Meek and Blake. Pau has/had tendonosis

You see the Thunder are done without WB, you see how just missing George hill may give NYK an opening.

Wade just being not 100% had Miami somewhat struggling against the bulls without Rose and Deng.

INJURIES mean a lot

#17 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,102 posts

Posted May 17, 2013 - 08:34 PM

Nuggets lost Gallinari and Lawson was hurt.

again injury, continuity

#18 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,581 posts

Posted May 17, 2013 - 08:41 PM

Like I said during the playoffs it's astounding how ONE injury can derail a team.

We had several.

All the teams considered much deeper than ours weren't more than a first or second round exit with ONE injury.

But we're hated for having 4 or 5 and our front office is bashed for it.   Wonder what people will say about the teams that were derailed by one.  Golden State had an injured David Lee too.   But the Lakers NEVER get that benefit of the doubt, from the media, or their fans occasionally.   But these playoffs where this is happening is pretty incredible.    The Knicks lost JR Smith for a game and it took them 3 games to get reacclimated and they(nor Smith) have really recovered.    Indiana was dominating New York, and looking unstoppable, loses George Hill and looks in shambles.

Funny thing is the two teams that have remained for the most part healthy are San Antonio and Memphis.

Where are they?

Western Conference Finals.

#19 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,102 posts

Posted May 17, 2013 - 08:47 PM

San Antonio seemed like they were vulnerable but got healthy right at the perfect time. 

Memphis is benefiting from being one of the only healthy teams around.

Lets not forget, Blake Griffin suffered an injury as well.

#20 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,423 posts

Posted May 17, 2013 - 08:52 PM

This is something I hope to see this season.   We had a pretty good idea at the end of the season, but we need to build on that so it isn't spontaneous and more or less becomes what we do.

We go through Pau and Dwight in the post, we play Nash off ball to Kobe. 

I think that is one of the main reasons that Kobe wants to core back because he feels the core knows how to play together now so he sees the potential in that 28-12 record in terms of finding a style of play that suits us.   That we need to build on and complete for the next season to something we actually craft and play with.

I think Kobe wants the core back for that reason.

While I would love to see the core back for one more shot at it, we have to be realistic and know to improve our team, the core will have to be different heading into next year.

Athleticism is the #1 issue that needs to be resolved. #2 is shooting.

With D'Antoni as the coach, I'm pretty sure those areas will be addressed.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users