51 replies to this topic

#41 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,404 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted May 19, 2013 - 06:58 PM

Jordan made 1 more FG a game than Kobe, so he is efficient and Kobe's a gunner!

10/20= 50%

9/20 is 45%

MJ got way more calls.

Like LeBron, btw.

When u talk GREATNESS- 62 in 3 quarters when Dallas had 61. Dallas that was a 50-60 win team that season. kobe's clutch shots KILL MJ's as far as degree of difficulty with the more sophisticated defenses he sees.

Jordan, the more talented p[layer(like LeBron), had the hands and pure athleticism to exceed Kobe defensively, but Kobe has certainly been the best late game defender for a superstar in his era. I'm including Garnett and Duncan.

Kobe may end up as a greater player than Jordan.

Even when you consider Kobe in his 17th season did things that haven't been done by anyone at any age.

greatness/-skill-talent

They aren't the same

#42 gque24

gque24

Starter

• 4,324 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted May 20, 2013 - 07:48 AM

There was talent in the NBA back then and the league wasn't as soft as it is now. Everyone knows how good Scottie was but he was not on the level of prime Shaq.

MJ pwns everyone so Kobe is no exception.

how was pippen not dominate on both sides of the ball for MJ just as much as Shaq was for Kobe? Who missed more gms & was out of shape for 2 of the rings & never played any defense on PnR situations? Shaq! Who would help shut down the best players from opposing temas when MJ needed a rest & who also helped run the O = Pippen. Pippen was MJ athletic rival at that period & he just so happened to be his dynamic duo part. if anything Shaq gets far too much credit while Pippen doesnt get enough credit what he did for MJ.

Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#43 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,744 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted May 20, 2013 - 08:16 AM

IMO....Shaq was better than Pippen for a shorter time (during the 3 peat).....but Pippen was better for the long run.

#44 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,221 posts

Posted May 20, 2013 - 09:10 AM

MichaelScottie_zps2c50bb99.png

KobeShaq_zpsc209c7bb.png

#45 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,177 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 20, 2013 - 09:19 AM

how was pippen not dominate on both sides of the ball for MJ just as much as Shaq was for Kobe? Who missed more gms & was out of shape for 2 of the rings & never played any defense on PnR situations? Shaq! Who would help shut down the best players from opposing temas when MJ needed a rest & who also helped run the O = Pippen. Pippen was MJ athletic rival at that period & he just so happened to be his dynamic duo part. if anything Shaq gets far too much credit while Pippen doesnt get enough credit what he did for MJ.

Scottie Pippen was NEVER EVER EVER a dominant offensive player. Shaquille O'Neal is one of the most dominant forces in NBA history so don't allow your judgment to be clouded by Shaq's antics here in LA. Scottie Pippen is one of the best defenders of all time, was a perfect complement to MJ, and is one of my favorite players ever but he is not greater than Shaquille O'Neal.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#46 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,348 posts

Posted May 20, 2013 - 10:32 AM

Kobe had by far the better partner. Shaq is arguable for GOAT at his peak.

But MJ had the better overall team and better fit for him to produce

While shaq meant easier winning he also meant less stats. So it's give and take

Because of shaq Kobe won more early, because of shaq Kobe produced less. In 2003 Kobe put up 30,7,6. Had shaq not been around and Kobe had been the guy from day 1 then Kobe would have put up similar to better numbers as 2003 his entire career

He would have been Lebron, tons of production some winning as opposed to tons of winning sacrificed production

Michael had the perfect team for him to do both. He had shooters, and his fellow hall of famers were either incredibly unselfish ((pippen) or defensive guys (rodman)

Kobe isn't Jordan because Kobe had to learn the things Jordan already knew. Also Michael was just a better athlete and defender. Probably more aware on the court as well

At the end of the day the 3 best perimeter players all time are Michael, Kobe and Lebron with Lebron having a chance(small) but a chance of jumping both. It'd take 3-5 more rings but if that happened I'd have no problem putting bron there.

Now in terms of all time context Kobe is the greatest and most talented scorer to ever step on the planet. Jordan is the most complete player and winner, and Lebron is the most talented and gifted player of all time
Posted Image

#47 UNLABORED FLAWLESS

UNLABORED FLAWLESS

Rookie

• 620 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 20, 2013 - 10:44 AM

Because of shaq Kobe won more early, because of shaq Kobe produced less. In 2003 Kobe put up 30,7,6. Had shaq not been around and Kobe had been the guy from day 1 then Kobe would have put up similar to better numbers as 2003 his entire career

He would have been Lebron, tons of production some winning as opposed to tons of winning sacrificed production

Michael had the perfect team for him to do both. He had shooters, and his fellow hall of famers were either incredibly unselfish ((pippen) or defensive guys (rodman)

Kobe isn't Jordan because Kobe had to learn the things Jordan already knew. Also Michael was just a better athlete and defender. Probably more aware on the court as well

At the end of the day the 3 best perimeter players all time are Michael, Kobe and Lebron with Lebron having a chance(small) but a chance of jumping both. It'd take 3-5 more rings but if that happened I'd have no problem putting bron there.

Now in terms of all time context Kobe is the greatest and most talented scorer to ever step on the planet. Jordan is the most complete player and winner, and Lebron is the most talented and gifted player of all time

''At the end of the day the 3 best perimeter players all time are Michael, Kobe and Lebron with Lebron having a chance(small) but a chance of jumping both. It'd take 3-5 more rings but if that happened I'd have no problem putting bron there.''

Way too early to say lerbon is the 3rd best perimeter player of all time... You said perimeter so your talking about 2 and 3 wing positions...way too early to be even thinking about saying that for lebron 

''Lebron is the most talented and gifted player of all time''

If your talking about athletics then yes 

Edited by UNLABORED FLAWLESS, May 20, 2013 - 10:49 AM.

#48 gque24

gque24

Starter

• 4,324 posts

Posted May 20, 2013 - 01:41 PM

shaq aint top 5 in my book! he was physically more dominant cuz he was so fat. but give me a break. he is luckest player in NBA history when it comes to being paired with some of the gr8est players of all time. his lazy antics put a huge * on his career when looking at the gr8 players hes been paired with with only 4 rings to show.

#49 gque24

gque24

Starter

• 4,324 posts

Posted May 20, 2013 - 01:42 PM

Scottie Pippen was NEVER EVER EVER a dominant offensive player. Shaquille O'Neal is one of the most dominant forces in NBA history so don't allow your judgment to be clouded by Shaq's antics here in LA. Scottie Pippen is one of the best defenders of all time, was a perfect complement to MJ, and is one of my favorite players ever but he is not greater than Shaquille O'Neal.

For his dynamic duo counterpart he was greater. If Shaq remained in shape I would say otherwise.

#50 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,177 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 20, 2013 - 02:22 PM

You gotta stop talking crazy. You're accusing Shaq of the same thing haters accuse Kobe of: LUCK

NO ONE wins alone

Shaq averaged 27 PPG, 12 RPG, 3 APG, 3 BPG in the regular season AND 28 PPG, 13 RPG, 3 APG, 3 BPG in the postseason while here in LA. Pure dominance for 8 years.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#51 gque24

gque24

Starter

• 4,324 posts

Posted May 20, 2013 - 02:40 PM

You gotta stop talking crazy. You're accusing Shaq of the same thing haters accuse Kobe of: LUCK

NO ONE wins alone

Shaq averaged 27 PPG, 12 RPG, 3 APG, 3 BPG in the regular season AND 28 PPG, 13 RPG, 3 APG, 3 BPG in the postseason while here in LA. Pure dominance for 8 years.

he took off far too many gms for my taste in that period. I agree no1 wins alone. But to say he the best C of AT = i cant give him that courtesy. he was far too lazy & took those gr8 players he was paired with for granted by not keeping in shape & adding things to his arsenal each new yr. Im sane not cr8z he is luckiest of all time. Kobe & Shaq argument (when people love to say he had Shaq) dont compare to mine when you say Penny, ho grant, scott, Kobe, Wade & Mourning, Nash & Amare, LBJ & Mo Will, & The Big 3.

#52 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 40,170 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted May 20, 2013 - 10:28 PM

he took off far too many gms for my taste in that period. I agree no1 wins alone. But to say he the best C of AT = i cant give him that courtesy. he was far too lazy & took those gr8 players he was paired with for granted by not keeping in shape & adding things to his arsenal each new yr. Im sane not cr8z he is luckiest of all time. Kobe & Shaq argument (when people love to say he had Shaq) dont compare to mine when you say Penny, ho grant, scott, Kobe, Wade & Mourning, Nash & Amare, LBJ & Mo Will, & The Big 3.

if Shaq had Kobe's work ethic he'd have been in the conversation for the Greatest Player of all Time.

The unfortunate thing is he didn't.

He barely was able to touch the surface of the potential he had, by becoming lazy and having lazy work habits, that's why Shaq ended his career bouncing from team to team hoping to be carried to a title, and Kobe won two more titles and still plays at a high level to this day.

it doesn't take away Shaq's years of dominance and you shouldn't either.

No, Shaq was not able to reach the heights he COULD have reached with his size skill and talent, but you can say that for many players when their career is over.  It doesn't take away from the years that let you know that they were capable of reaching that high.   Whether they did or not doesn't take away from the years that put them in that discussion.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users