Photo

Metta opts in, will stay with Lakers (Pg. 6 - USA Today update)

• Please log in to reply
171 replies to this topic

#141 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 37,419 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted June 25, 2013 - 05:41 PM

Corey and Ronnie are miles ahead of mwp. He's in the bottom tier of starting forwards in the league. There's easily 30-35 better starting caliber forwards ahead of him. He can't guard ANYBODY. He's jump shooting is atrocious. Can't create for himself. Does nothing on the court well anymore but maybe get a steal or two once in a blue moon. Earl Clark is better than mwp. The lakers need a small foward is well rounded in every facet of the game. Obviously lebron in 2014 may not be a possibility. But if somehow they can get nick batum that would be amazing. Or an even turner.

Watching Corey Brewer shoot 29% from 3 last year I beg to differ and uninjured shooting 25% from there in the post-season I beg to differ.

I have no idea why this guy's name keeps coming up as guys we'd want, I get the feeling a majority didn't want him play for Denver a majority of the season.  

I did.

This guy was atrocious and more inconsistent than Metta has ever been, and if you're pissed at Metta's floor spacing abilities you'll throw the TV out of the window with Corey Brewer.  

Corey Brewer is NOT an upgrade over Metta unfortunately and definitely isn't miles ahead and would make our floor spacing worse.

Edited by Majesty, June 25, 2013 - 05:42 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#142 Mike D'Antoni

Mike D'Antoni

Rookie

• 1,138 posts
  • Name:Juan
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 25, 2013 - 05:48 PM

Lol. Just keep earl Clark. Start him. Bye metta

#143 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,419 posts

Posted June 25, 2013 - 05:53 PM

Lol. Just keep earl Clark. Start him. Bye metta

You'll need two backup wings too then unless you want Kobe to play 3 the other half of the time while giving Meeks starter minutes.

Edited by Majesty, June 25, 2013 - 05:53 PM.

#144 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 3,010 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted June 25, 2013 - 05:56 PM

No surprise really, still this upcoming season wasn't going to dictate much for our upcoming years. Kobe will still be healing, Nash is a liability but hold no current trade value, Pau well poor guy, and with D12 returning, it just wouldn't be enough.

My optimism is as the season progresses, even with them still standing by MDA, it won't we till next off season that everyone comes off the books and Nash is an expiring contract that the organization can start to actually build around Kobe and D12 (maybe).

Besides, I don't get how people would prefer Brewer or Gallinari or any other possible forward out there.Just finish out the deal or trade him midseason.

#145 Mike D'Antoni

Mike D'Antoni

Rookie

• 1,138 posts
  • Name:Juan
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 25, 2013 - 05:56 PM

Hopefully that can be addressed if Pau is moved and Dwight stays. If Dwight leaves and Pau stays then we are **** outta luck lol. I don't think Meeks is brought back. I think goudelock can provide more offense and will come cheaper. Hopefully we can have more than just floor spacers. For years I've dreamed of a backup guard or other wing who can give Kobe at least 12-15 minutes if rest a game

#146 The Big Fish

The Big Fish

AKA Michael Knight

• 5,999 posts
  • Name:Travis
  • Fan Since:My dad showed me "showtime".
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe to Shaq.

Posted June 25, 2013 - 06:01 PM

Very true.  Metta would actually be great off the bench as a hustle effort and intensity guy.  I think his role just has to be diminished, that's why I wish he didn't cost 7 million dollars.

But heck Gasol costs 19 million. 

And for the first half of the season Metta was our best Laker not named Kobe.   So he isn't THE problem.  We do need to get younger on the perimeter, but we also need to get younger on the interior(looking at Gasol)

If we lose Metta we could actually become WORSE on perimeter scoring and aside from Kobe we'd have no other perimeter defender unless you count Clark.

So yes his loss would DEFINITELY be felt.   Especially given the fact he was the only guy aside from Kobe that when Kobe was having a bad night could create his own shot without being force fed by the guy.

This is why I don't think they amnesty Metta till they sign two or three more wing players.   Which is why his tweets are such a mystery, they obviously can't amnesty him until they sign Clark and some other wings.  So wonder what it is.

I agree. It's not Ron's fault that we are asking "too much" out of him at this point in his career. He would be perfect off the bench as you stated. 

tysonsigv1ui2.jpg

REST IN PARADISE, Queen Fefe

I love you Ma!

October 26th, 2013

#147 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,552 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted June 25, 2013 - 08:05 PM

you don't pay 7 million for a player that a mMLE or vet min player can do.

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#148 underworldmike

underworldmike

Rodmanator

• 1,493 posts
  • Name:Mike
  • Fan Since:Since i was born
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman and Kobe Bryant

Posted June 25, 2013 - 08:09 PM

https://twitter.com/...387777122648064

trolling us?

Posted Image

#149 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,164 posts

Posted June 25, 2013 - 08:17 PM

The only place where Ron should operate on the offensive end in in the low-post. He needs to use his strength to out-muscle his opponent in the low-block.

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#150 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,902 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted June 25, 2013 - 08:53 PM

Majesty

We saw in spots with Morris, that just being able to run the floor is an asset, and our team that asset is exaggerated. 

corey Brewer is amongst the best.

Literally putting Morris and brewer on the floor with Nash,Dwight and one of our forwards(Pau,Jamison,Metta,Clark)

we could be a pretty good transition team

#151 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,419 posts

Posted June 25, 2013 - 09:06 PM

Majesty

We saw in spots with Morris, that just being able to run the floor is an asset, and our team that asset is exaggerated. 

corey Brewer is amongst the best.

Literally putting Morris and brewer on the floor with Nash,Dwight and one of our forwards(Pau,Jamison,Metta,Clark)

we could be a pretty good transition team

I think you got Corey confused with Ronnie.  Cause yes Ronnie is one of the best at getting to the basket and finishing at the rim as well as perimeter defense.  Corey Brewer on the other hand couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

#152 BleedPurple&Gold

BleedPurple&Gold

All-Star

• 6,354 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe,Magic

Posted June 25, 2013 - 09:36 PM

Ronnie is another declining Artest. Can't even get minutes in OKC with no SG or back up SF. C. Brewer def can have his moments and go off but when he doesnt he defends and hustles.

Edited by BleedPurple&Gold, June 25, 2013 - 09:41 PM.

9888d4ba-ad6b-4879-93aa-9ef1c6ed1dbd_zps

#153 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,419 posts

Posted June 25, 2013 - 09:46 PM

Ronnie is another declining Artest. Can't even get minutes in OKC with no SG or back up SF. C. Brewer def can have his moments and go off but when he doesnt he defends and hustles.

Ronnie isn't a declining Artest.

Ronnie is the victim if being played not to his strengths, Ronnie's strengths are cutting to the basket and finishing at the rim.  If you try to turn him into a perimeter shooter you suffer.

But you pair him with a point guard that knows how to look for his cuts(Nash, Blake) and understands his strengths and he's a valuable asset as well as a better perimeter defender than Corey.

Further you place him from the basket the less he's gonna score the closer you put him to the basket and look for him on cuts you reap the rewards..   

#154 BleedPurple&Gold

BleedPurple&Gold

All-Star

• 6,354 posts

Posted June 25, 2013 - 09:50 PM

ronnie is a declining Artest.

Dont need cut to the basketball player we need shooters. You're not cutting to the bastket with two post players already in there. He's not a better defender than Corey, hell if he was a better defender he would be playing. All opponents are u to do is leave ronnie's man and help on dwight or Pau. Only time he finishes at the rim if he dunks it thats it. Plus Corey cuts too so why get ronnie who cant shoot but can cut and defend and not someone who can shoot and cut and defend

Edited by BleedPurple&Gold, June 25, 2013 - 09:56 PM.

#155 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,419 posts

Posted June 25, 2013 - 09:55 PM

ronnie is a declining Artest.

Dont need cut to the basketball player we need shooters. You're not cutting to the bastket with two post players already in there. He's not a better defender than Corey, hell if he was a better defender he would be playing. All opponents are u to do is leave ronnie's man and help on dwight or Pau. Only time he finishes at the rim if he dunks it thats it.

Ronnie Brewer is an awesome hustle guy, he's also athletic as well as a good finisher at the basket and a very good perimeter defender that the Lakers would need.

I'd rather Brewer be finishing at the basket with "dunks" over Corey Brewer bombing it from 3 and shooting 25% from there :smh:

And now you're hating on the guy(Ronnie) cause he finishes at the rim with dunks :smh:   How much have you ACTUALLY seen of the guy?

Edited by Majesty, June 25, 2013 - 09:56 PM.

#156 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,776 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted June 25, 2013 - 10:03 PM

He will be amnestied most likely. He making way more money than he deserves and hurting us too much. No on in their right mind would actually trade form him with anything good. Idc if we dont have a fill in for him. There is defiantly someone out there who can do a better job than he did this season who we can get for min. 

And no we didnt ask much out of him. Hell we took him off the bench for a while too. He is a chucker. Metta loves to shoot. I can't eve remember how many times that guy lost us games last season. He shot 40% while shooting 11+ shots a game. Its one thing to be bad but when you are bad and taking all the shots that just kills us. 

#157 BleedPurple&Gold

BleedPurple&Gold

All-Star

• 6,354 posts

Posted June 25, 2013 - 10:04 PM

Ronnie Brewer is an awesome hustle guy, he's also athletic as well as a good finisher at the basket and a very good perimeter defender that the Lakers would need.

I'd rather Brewer be finishing at the basket with "dunks" over Corey Brewer bombing it from 3 and shooting 25% from there :smh:

And now you're hating on the guy(Ronnie) cause he finishes at the rim with dunks :smh:   How much have you ACTUALLY seen of the guy?

He's not dunking anything with two centers in there. Thats why I said the one way he finishes to the rim if he dunks which he really is not a finisher around the basket unless he dunks it because he has a horrible touch if he does anything else, but he is not getting that chance with two centers in there trying to do work so Im a hater because I said only way he is a good finisher is if he dunks ok. I would rather Have someone who can shoot and defend.   Corey is hustle guy, althetic as well as a finisher and a perimeter defender and can cut too. Like I said the the first post. And if u want to talk about shooting percentage i guess you take a look at ronnie's

Edited by BleedPurple&Gold, June 25, 2013 - 10:08 PM.

• 40,416 posts

Posted June 25, 2013 - 10:08 PM

yo.

#159 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,419 posts

Posted June 25, 2013 - 10:09 PM

He's not dunking anything with two centers in there. Thats why I said the one way he finishes to the rim if he dunks which he really is not a finisher around the basket unless he dunks it because he has a horrible touch if he does anything else, but he is not getting that chance with two centers in there trying to do work so Im a hater because I said only way he is a good finisher is if he dunks ok. I would rather Have someone who can shoot and defend.   Corey is hustle guy, althetic as well as a finisher and a perimeter defender and can cut too. 

Really so you've never heard of screens for cutters?  and are you assuming that Brewer would be in lineups with both Gasol and Dwight playing? 

if that's the case(if you're putting him at the 3) It's very simple.

It's a very simple move.

Point guard has it at the top of the key, center or forward sets the off ball screen for Brewer who then cuts to the basket for an easy layup.

Blake and Nash are both very good at catching people with those kind of passes and moves.

Brewer could get a LOT of to the basket scores with Dwight and Pau there, ESPECIALLY if either goes from the post, if they overload on Dwight or Gasol in the post they're gonna be looking for the cutter and Brewer is that guy. 

How do you think Barnes got so many easy shots at the rim when we played with Bynum and Gasol?  

Having Gasol and Howard at the basket won't take to the basket opportunities from Brewer, if anything it could get him easier looks considering the defense required on both Gasol and Howard in the post

#160 BleedPurple&Gold

BleedPurple&Gold

All-Star

• 6,354 posts

Posted June 25, 2013 - 10:12 PM

I can get Correy to do that simple [expletive]. Artest was doing that simple [expletive] last year. Correy can shoot and hustle and defend and cut too. Talking about Correy's shooting percentage better take a look at ronnies shooting and field goal percentage.

Edited by BleedPurple&Gold, June 25, 2013 - 10:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users