Photo

Metta opts in, will stay with Lakers (Pg. 6 - USA Today update)

• Please log in to reply
171 replies to this topic

#81 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 37,131 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted June 25, 2013 - 12:51 AM

The important stuff he did was never in the stats sheet, but he found ways to make a difference even if it didn't pad his stats. 

Game 7 was the perfect example of that, he didn't have a good shooting night, didn't play the perfect game, but he was able to lock up Pierce, get timely rebounds and hit the big shot when it mattered.   He was the biggest factor even if his name didn't soar to the top of the stats sheet.  

If we're losing Metta now, then we need to find someone that can duplicate that.

Because right now he's our only Small Forward, and Cleveland is making a HARD push for Earl Clark right now too.

If we amnesty Metta and enter next season with no small forward we're screwed.

Edited by Majesty, June 25, 2013 - 01:07 AM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#82 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,209 posts
  • Name:Yosif
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe bryant

Posted June 25, 2013 - 01:23 AM

Cleveland is making a HARD push for Earl Clark right now too.

And that's why they are the Cleveland cavaliers.. because they "make a HARD push" for earl freakin Clark. Earl is staying. Book it.

#83 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,721 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted June 25, 2013 - 01:33 AM

Clark isnt going any where. He loves being on the lakers. He knows we were the first team to ever give him a real chance and him and kobe are friends as well. He even said he would take less money a while back so unless they are going to offer him a ridiculous amount of money which I doubt they will he's staying. I mean why would you leave the freaking lakers for the cavs. 

#84 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,131 posts

Posted June 25, 2013 - 01:36 AM

Clark isnt going any where. He loves being on the lakers. He knows we were the first team to ever give him a real chance and him and kobe are friends as well. He even said he would take less money a while back so unless they are going to offer him a ridiculous amount of money which I doubt they will he's staying. I mean why would you leave the freaking lakers for the cavs. 

I think he comes back too.  But I don't think we'd make a move like amnestying MWP before re-signing him, and another SF.   So it makes Metta's twitter message that much more wonder.    That's why I'm leaning more towards retirement

Edited by Majesty, June 25, 2013 - 01:40 AM.

#85 Drazard

Drazard

The Death Bringer

• 1,753 posts
  • Name:Drazard
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 25, 2013 - 01:47 AM

:pray: Please god let Metta World Peace go, I promise that I will go to the church this coming sunday.  :pray:

33bkfif.jpg

#86 The Big Fish

The Big Fish

AKA Michael Knight

• 5,999 posts
  • Name:Travis
  • Fan Since:My dad showed me "showtime".
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe to Shaq.

Posted June 25, 2013 - 02:48 AM

Ron is one of the few guys who actually gives effort every single [expletive]ing night. He is far from the problem but we do need some athleticism from the wing spots particularly as the league has changed a great deal. His loss would be felt, don't understand why some are saying things like he is some bum guy who doesn't work his ass off for LA. 

tysonsigv1ui2.jpg

REST IN PARADISE, Queen Fefe

I love you Ma!

October 26th, 2013

#87 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&a

• 23,127 posts
  • Name:Kyler
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Swaggy and Kareem

Posted June 25, 2013 - 03:33 AM

eh, don't care either way, his time has past 

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#88 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,131 posts

Posted June 25, 2013 - 03:38 AM

Ron is one of the few guys who actually gives effort every single [expletive]ing night. He is far from the problem but we do need some athleticism from the wing spots particularly as the league has changed a great deal. His loss would be felt, don't understand why some are saying things like he is some bum guy who doesn't work his ass off for LA. 

Very true.  Metta would actually be great off the bench as a hustle effort and intensity guy.  I think his role just has to be diminished, that's why I wish he didn't cost 7 million dollars.

But heck Gasol costs 19 million. 

And for the first half of the season Metta was our best Laker not named Kobe.   So he isn't THE problem.  We do need to get younger on the perimeter, but we also need to get younger on the interior(looking at Gasol)

If we lose Metta we could actually become WORSE on perimeter scoring and aside from Kobe we'd have no other perimeter defender unless you count Clark.

So yes his loss would DEFINITELY be felt.   Especially given the fact he was the only guy aside from Kobe that when Kobe was having a bad night could create his own shot without being force fed by the guy.

This is why I don't think they amnesty Metta till they sign two or three more wing players.   Which is why his tweets are such a mystery, they obviously can't amnesty him until they sign Clark and some other wings.  So wonder what it is.

#89 bigvee

bigvee

Hall Of Fame

• 8,694 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted June 25, 2013 - 05:58 AM

I'm pretty certain that Metta won't be back unless Kobe and the coaching staff REALLY want him off the bench.

Love his effort. Love his intensity. Love the intimidation factor. Hate his boneheaded plays and turnovers. Hate how he'll keep shooting when he he's thrown up bricks for multiple straight games. Hate how he's not used effectively in the post against smaller defenders.

I'll miss Metta as a character. I'm sure he'll always be around in the media. He should retire though. Don't see him wanting to play for a losing team, and I doubt any contenders take a real gamble at him.

An interesting aspect of all of this is what would Metta start to say, uncensored, on twitter, if he's no longer part of the NBA. With no one there to fine him, I can only imagine what this guy would say

#90 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,481 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 25, 2013 - 06:01 AM

I agree that he competes and defends. But as much as he competes he is still owed 7 million per year, which translates into a 30 million dollar tax bill.

Also, his shot selection and lack of accuracy really hurts the team. When you’re playing alongside Nash, Pau, Dwight and Kobe you’re going to see a lot of open shots and therefore you need to be efficient. He’s not efficient, is often out of control and it really hurts the team.

Metta scored 12.4 ppg on 11 shots/game shooting 403FG%, including 5.5 3pt attempts per game at .342. 3pt% isn’t too bad, but in this system not nearly enough. We need someone who really can spread the floor. Someone who will punish the other team every time they double. Guys like Martell Webster or Kyle Korver would be perfect, despite the defensive limitations.

#91 gque24

gque24

Sixth Man

• 4,157 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted June 25, 2013 - 06:55 AM

Just like Pau MWP time with LAkers should be over. Stop living in the past its a wrap!

Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#92 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,050 posts
  • Name:Pat
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 25, 2013 - 07:02 AM

I would be shocked if Metta opts out.

No way he gets the money he would make next season anywhere else. He's worth nothing more than the veteran's minimum for one year.

Posted Image

#93 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,150 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted June 25, 2013 - 07:29 AM

First of all, having effort is one thing but having effort but no skills is another. So what you're saying is a guy with just effort deserve a 4 millionr dollar contract or higher? Please dont tell me you're that stupid.  Its like giving Roni Turiaf that kind of money or Bryan Scalabrini that kind of money.  Ron Ron is not like the Ron Ron who jump over the table to to punch the wrong guy in the face anymore. He is not the guy who is the many times defensive player of the year anymore. And if we get lucky he might have a pretty good game but not great game like that game 7 in 2010.  But anybody with a brain realized that he is not the defender like he once was. He can't even defend that well anymore. He sucks at shooting threes but for some reason he think he's Larry Bird or something. And whenever he dribbles, people need heart bypass surgery. Luke Walton and Meta should do a dribbling contest to see who fumbles the ball more.  So his loss will NOT BE FELT. We don't lose much besides some interesting stupid after game interviews when Meta being Meta.  Seriously bro, you better than this.

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#94 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,150 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted June 25, 2013 - 07:36 AM

The only thing Meta is good at now is throw a sick ass party.  I suggest he should throw a retirement party for himself because I believe it is time.

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#95 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

• 23,127 posts

Posted June 25, 2013 - 07:57 AM

Source close to Metta World Peace adamant he won't opt out of his player option. "I'd be shocked if he does," source says

#96 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,947 posts

Posted June 25, 2013 - 07:58 AM

Was supposed to meet him today...got cancelled. Hmmmm. He has to decide today if he wants to opt in or not I believe

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#97 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,394 posts

Posted June 25, 2013 - 07:59 AM

Told you.

Doesn't matter either way, I don't expect him to be here in a couple weeks

#98 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

• 23,127 posts

Posted June 25, 2013 - 08:00 AM

Told you.

Doesn't matter either way, I don't expect him to be here in a couple weeks

Yeah, I'm 95% sure he'll get amnesty 

#99 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,394 posts

Posted June 25, 2013 - 08:07 AM

I can't stand him. Can't wait for the Lakers to amnesty him.

RT @MettaWorldPeace: Me announcement is Terrell Owens and I will be doing a reality show !! What did yal think I was going to say? Lol

#100 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

• 23,127 posts

Posted June 25, 2013 - 08:13 AM

get him off this team please 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users