82 replies to this topic

#21 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,868 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 17, 2013 - 12:24 PM

Showing a little bias here...if we stay put and decide not to try and move up, I wouldn't mind us taking someone like Travis Releford.  He wasn't the big star at Kansas, but when his number was called in the tourney, he stepped up on the offensive end...and throughout the season, he's the guy who was assigned the tougher wing players back on defense.  Jack of all trades, doesn't do anything THAT great, but he will give you many things at once.

I did give us Southerland in my mock, and he's a hybrid SF/PF who can knock down threes...one of the better shooters so far in the combine. Dude went off yesterday.  He doesn't have much more to his game, though.

#22 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Just A Fan

• 3,261 posts
  • Name:JP
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted May 17, 2013 - 01:20 PM

Snap!!! I forgot about Releford from Kansas...
Posted Image

#23 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,134 posts

Posted May 17, 2013 - 01:38 PM

Lol camp fodder at best. Anyone who expects anything out of anyone we draft in the 2nd round is blind
Posted Image

#24 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,152 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted May 17, 2013 - 01:44 PM

Awesome!!! Looking forward to seeing these two ripping it up in the D league! Woot!!!   Watchout Goudlock, they are going for your MVP fool!

Edited by epicwolf, May 17, 2013 - 01:45 PM.

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#25 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 37,180 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted May 17, 2013 - 02:14 PM

Lol camp fodder at best. Anyone who expects anything out of anyone we draft in the 2nd round is blind

Goudelock

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#26 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Just A Fan

• 3,261 posts

Posted May 17, 2013 - 05:39 PM

I am blind then.. Sure didn't see Monta Ellis, Paul Milsap, Marc Gasol, Isaiah Thomas, Trevor Ariza.. I will stop there... I'm just to blind to think that the Lakers may catch a decent pick in the second round. My bad
Posted Image

#27 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,592 posts
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted May 17, 2013 - 05:51 PM

Lakers DID draft Marc Gasol in the 2nd round...

He turned out alright...

#28 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,134 posts

Posted May 17, 2013 - 07:36 PM

Goudelock

Goudelock what? Has he actually done anything? No

Oh but he's a laker so majesty will stick a rose up his ass
Posted Image

#29 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 37,180 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted May 17, 2013 - 07:46 PM

Goudelock what? Has he actually done anything? No

Oh but he's a laker so majesty will stick a rose up his ass

Alright then, we drafted Marc Gasol too, how about Ariza, what about Patrick Beverly that balled in the playoffs this year? 

Non Lakers?  How about Monta Ellis, how about that lil short point guard on the kings Isaiah Thomas?    Paul Milsap?   

Not enough? How about Steve Kerr, Truck Robinson, Rod williams, Stephen Jackson, Rashard Lewis,  Nick Van Exel, Paul Silas,  Toni Kukoc, Carlos Boozer, George McGinnis, Gilbert Arenas,  Danny Ainge,  Maurice Cheeks, Nate "Tiny" Archibald, Michael Redd, Willis Reed, DENNIS RODMAN...

And let's not forget  MANU GINOBLI.

Now sit down son.

tumblr_m4t9n8BMG31r9e26to1_r1_400.gif

Edited by Majesty, May 17, 2013 - 07:47 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#30 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,781 posts

Posted May 18, 2013 - 04:30 AM

Alright then, we drafted Marc Gasol too, how about Ariza, what about Patrick Beverly that balled in the playoffs this year? 

Non Lakers?  How about Monta Ellis, how about that lil short point guard on the kings Isaiah Thomas?    Paul Milsap?   

Not enough? How about Steve Kerr, Truck Robinson, Rod williams, Stephen Jackson, Rashard Lewis,  Nick Van Exel, Paul Silas,  Toni Kukoc, Carlos Boozer, George McGinnis, Gilbert Arenas,  Danny Ainge,  Maurice Cheeks, Nate "Tiny" Archibald, Michael Redd, Willis Reed, DENNIS RODMAN...

And let's not forget  MANU GINOBLI.

Now sit down son.

Oh SNAP...Majesty went H.A.M. !

LOL...Neither looks like they are ready to contribute on a contender but you never know...

And scoring is something that translates to the NBA...especially the Wolters guy.  When you look at his highlights, one thing that sticks out is his shifty footwork.  He uses his body and feet well to take advantage of overly aggressive defenders.  That's tailor made for the P&R game in the NBA...

Shooting also translates well as evidenced by many, MANY one trick ponies finding their way on to NBA rosters every year (Kapono, Vlad Rad, Redick, Korver, Bonner, just to name a few).

Wouldn't expect too much defensively though...but that's not going to be much different from our current bench so...

#31 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,115 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 18, 2013 - 07:01 AM

These guys SUCK

#32 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,551 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted May 18, 2013 - 07:19 AM

Screw these guys. 

Since Wiggins will most likely be first pick in 2014, what are our chances in nabbing him? Let's say we trade Pau or anything that can get us a pick for 2014 and through the lotto we somehow get 1st pick LOL. (how bulls got drose). Our 2014 season would then be amazing because of all the cap space + wiggins + D12 (if we sign him). 

just a scenario i came up with while i was on a certain substance.  :laughing: jk 

btw don't take this seriously 

Edited by Ham, May 18, 2013 - 07:20 AM.

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#33 lakers1o1

lakers1o1

Off The Bench

• 2,524 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted May 18, 2013 - 07:53 AM

I'm praying to God the Lakers bust a Manu Ginobali, Monta Ellis, or Gilbert Arenas haha

kb24_zpscc8c9e5b.jpg

#34 gque24

gque24

Sixth Man

• 4,157 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted May 18, 2013 - 08:30 AM

These guys SUCK

lol

Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#35 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Just A Fan

• 3,261 posts

Posted May 18, 2013 - 11:54 AM

http://lakerholicz.c...date/2013/05/18

Basically saying the Lakers are not moving up, but are looking to trade Pau and possibly going into this off season with 6 roster spots open...

Edited by FranklinPeanuts, May 18, 2013 - 11:55 AM.

Posted Image

#36 Miggs

Miggs

16x CHAMPS

• 2,280 posts
  • Name:Miguel
  • Fan Since:1988 Finals
  • Fav. Laker:Showtime,Shaq and Kobe

Posted May 18, 2013 - 12:03 PM

Where's the video on the other side of the court.?

#37 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,868 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted May 18, 2013 - 12:30 PM

Just to point something out, a scorer doesn't always find success in the NBA.  I could name about 50 off the top of my head, but right off the bat, just look in Sacramento and Jimmer Fredette.  The dude averaged 28.9 PPG in his final season at BYU, came into the league and shot under 39% from the floor, had trouble handling the ball and creating his own shot, and found out that the NBA is 10 times tougher than college basketball.

Every year, you'll find talent in the second round, but not much of it.

Last season, not a single player did anything significant as a second round pick.  Not one.

The previous season...Chandler Parsons and Isaiah Thomas.  Pretty good year, in that regard...but just two out of 30.

In 2010?  Lance Stephenson, and he's nowhere near where Chandler Parsons is.  Landry Fields is garbage, paid for one season (rook) of 10/6, and has declined ever since.

How about 2009?  Marcus Thornton.  DeJuan Blair isn't that impressive...doesn't defend, gets into foul trouble often, doesn't pass, shoots a low percentage for being around the rim a lot, etc.  Again, just one guy out of 30.

So, in a way, I get where someone sits back and says, "Who cares?  Our second rounder means nothing."  

Robert Sacre
Darius Morris
Andrew Goudelock
Chukwudiebere Maduabum
Ater Majok
Devin Ebanks
Derrick Caracter
Patrick Beverley
Chinemelu Elonu
Joe Crawford
Sun Yue
Marc Gasol

Those are our second rounders since selecting (and trading, which needs to be noted) Marc Gasol.

Our scouting is poor.  We haven't found a gem in the draft since Bynum, but the problem was, Drew was already having knee problems even before the draft...so technically, we screwed up there.  Kobe and Eddie Jones, as first rounders, were our solid selections.

Great second round selections by us?  We haven't really had one since Nick Van Exel, in 1993 or 1994.  Before that, I couldn't tell you.

This draft is being called one of the worst in years.  I don't know if I agree with that or not, but regardless, it's not going to be packed with star talent...which means that scouts are going to look into these players much, much deeper.  Nowadays, injuries aren't causing players to plummet, as you're seeing with Noel and possibly 2-3 other guys (one being Alex Len, who just had surgery).  Stock is based more on talent than anything, at this point, so it's going to be tougher to find that player we're all looking for in the middle of the second round.

#38 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,879 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted May 18, 2013 - 01:14 PM

Bottom line is about 20 players are good enough every year to get a rotation spot from a vet.

In years in which we draft low, it's highly unlikely to find anything.

Caracter-undersized
Ebanks-poor attitude
Matok-raw
Elonu-raw
Sacre-raw

That's what u get in lower half of second round.

Toney Douglas was solid.
Farmar helped get two rings.
Sasha played a major role in our resurgence.

Our last top 20 picks were pretty good. Not great.

But for some reason, people was mad when allegedly Jim fired our scouts.

#39 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,134 posts

Posted May 18, 2013 - 02:35 PM

Non Lakers? How about Monta Ellis, how about that lil short point guard on the kings Isaiah Thomas? Paul Milsap?

Not enough? How about Steve Kerr, Truck Robinson, Rod williams, Stephen Jackson, Rashard Lewis, Nick Van Exel, Paul Silas, Toni Kukoc, Carlos Boozer, George McGinnis, Gilbert Arenas, Danny Ainge, Maurice Cheeks, Nate "Tiny" Archibald, Michael Redd, Willis Reed, DENNIS RODMAN...

And let's not forget MANU GINOBLI.

Now sit down son.

I'm glad you can post irrelevant points with a cute little gif to pretend like you made a point. You made none

These players you posted about are garbage, goudelock is garbage, the percentage of 2nd round picks that actually become anything more than marginal rotation players trumps the percentage of those that do.

You literally listed 20 or so. That is in essence all time with some people probably missing. Statistically you just made an ass of yourself. statistically that would be less than 1 player a year makes it out of the 2nd round to become successful. So statistically you proved MY point. I'm sorry of that wasn't your intention
Posted Image

#40 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,395 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 18, 2013 - 04:44 PM

I'm sure we are going to get a lot of draft talk in the coming weeks leading up to the draft, so let's try to keep all of it in one thread.

Now as for the topic, if the Lakers are able to move into the first round, who do you see them targeting?

An athletic wing player seems like the best bet but I would not be shocked to see a point guard taken either. They could very well play Blake at the 2 next season.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users