#1 SuPeRmAoR

SuPeRmAoR

TLN's ballerist

• 2,476 posts
  • Name:Maor
  • Fan Since:4 years old
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe,Magic

Posted May 16, 2013 - 04:42 PM

I checked out the Website, it will actually work, you pick your roster, your players and what year you want them in, edit your rotation and you can simulate the matchup against the other teams,

jpg2mw.jpg

"Dante Exum will be an NBA All Star by the 2018 NBA Season" - Supermaor23 3/10/14

#2 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 12,904 posts
  • Fan Since:1986
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 16, 2013 - 04:48 PM

I think that's a great idea!

I checked out the Website, it will actually work, you pick your roster, your players and what year you want them in, edit your rotation and you can simulate the matchup against the other teams,

#3 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,354 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 16, 2013 - 04:51 PM

Are you suggesting this instead of write-ups?

I wouldn't be opposed to that because as you saw with the draft, we had some members that just couldn't be on by deadlines and that was just to pick a player.  I can only imagine people missing deadlines for write-ups.

Only issue, I don't believe it's free.

#4 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,010 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 16, 2013 - 05:07 PM

I was under the impression that write ups were not going to be done this time.

Edited by Windu, May 16, 2013 - 05:08 PM.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#5 SuPeRmAoR

SuPeRmAoR

TLN's ballerist

• 2,476 posts

Posted May 16, 2013 - 08:09 PM

Are you suggesting this instead of write-ups?

I wouldn't be opposed to that because as you saw with the draft, we had some members that just couldn't be on by deadlines and that was just to pick a player.  I can only imagine people missing deadlines for write-ups.

Only issue, I don't believe it's free.

It is free, i tested it by creating a team on my own, the only problem is you can use only up to four teams, so whoever the simmer is would have to agree to use multiple accounts for each matchup, but it could work for each conference, essentially i think its a better idea than having us judge because no matter what when we judge ourselves we can always contest, this way an actual computer runs a simulation and tells us the result based off of analytical data

jpg2mw.jpg

"Dante Exum will be an NBA All Star by the 2018 NBA Season" - Supermaor23 3/10/14

#6 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,759 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted May 16, 2013 - 10:15 PM

I like the idea of it, but it's going to be very annoying to have to go through and edit the teams just to run through simulations. You could definitely use it as a tool to help you out and see what might and might not work in a particular match-up. While this program is nice, since we'd be using it for free, we wouldn't have access to anything in-depth (offensive sets, defensive sets, playstyle, etc.), which would be left for the program to decide. I just ran through a few things with my team and it's just basically rotations and guys coming in and out, while the actual teams I sim against (like 90s Bulls or 00s Lakers) constantly change up their offensive and defensive sets.

Reading through the play-by-plays is interesting though, gives you a glimpse of how things might have turned out. Of course, you'd need to simulate multiple games (probably a 7 game series), to get a clear idea of who would have the advantage in any match-up. And then you'd need to post the play-by-play for each quarter here (if you were trying to make some case), as proof, which seems like it could be very annoying. That's like 28 links for 4 quarters through 7 games.

Cool program, but I think write-ups are still better because you can do so much more in the way of details than some free simulation program. We could definitely make use of this though, just not as our primary thing.

#7 SuPeRmAoR

SuPeRmAoR

TLN's ballerist

• 2,476 posts

Posted May 16, 2013 - 11:00 PM

I like the idea of it, but it's going to be very annoying to have to go through and edit the teams just to run through simulations. You could definitely use it as a tool to help you out and see what might and might not work in a particular match-up. While this program is nice, since we'd be using it for free, we wouldn't have access to anything in-depth (offensive sets, defensive sets, playstyle, etc.), which would be left for the program to decide. I just ran through a few things with my team and it's just basically rotations and guys coming in and out, while the actual teams I sim against (like 90s Bulls or 00s Lakers) constantly change up their offensive and defensive sets.

Reading through the play-by-plays is interesting though, gives you a glimpse of how things might have turned out. Of course, you'd need to simulate multiple games (probably a 7 game series), to get a clear idea of who would have the advantage in any match-up. And then you'd need to post the play-by-play for each quarter here (if you were trying to make some case), as proof, which seems like it could be very annoying. That's like 28 links for 4 quarters through 7 games.

Cool program, but I think write-ups are still better because you can do so much more in the way of details than some free simulation program. We could definitely make use of this though, just not as our primary thing.

I have an idea then, us judges should have the sim posted and then after the gameplans that we managers post, that way we can have two things to go by, what the computer thinks, but ultimately what we think as a whole

jpg2mw.jpg

#8 5thDroog

5thDroog

Kapow!

• 14,726 posts
  • Fav. Laker:24,32,33,44,13,22,16,34,5,2

Posted May 17, 2013 - 12:50 AM

great job. write ups are a pain, but it can also give us the idea of the outlook of a gm as to why he made those picks as well.

#9 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,759 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted May 17, 2013 - 05:50 PM

I've got some time this weekend to test out this thing, but I think I'm the only one so far who has specified the version of each player they'll have on their team. If one or two of you guys go ahead and update your players with the appropriate years you want, then I don't mind testing out a few match-ups.

I've already got my team saved on an account I made last night.

#10 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,025 posts
  • Fan Since:2004

Posted May 18, 2013 - 07:05 PM

I posted in another thread about this, but I don't feel too comfortable about the accuracy of this thing. Ran through several simulations (even after my other post actually) and the teams that won consistently made no sense to me. This would be a good tool to help maybe determine preliminary seeding though, imo.

#11 5thDroog

5thDroog

Kapow!

• 14,726 posts
  • Fav. Laker:24,32,33,44,13,22,16,34,5,2

Posted May 18, 2013 - 11:26 PM

the thing about this is, players like Horry, Davises, Oakley, Battier, Tony Allen won't be playing up to their potential since it will be simulated. Most sim based applications heavily relies on ratings that reflect on the players' stats. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users