Photo

Best chance of beating the Heat

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Poll: Best chance of beating the Heat (16 member(s) have cast votes)

Which team has the best chance of beating the Heat in a 7 game series

1. Indiana Pacers (5 votes [31.25%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 31.25%

2. Memphis Grizzlies (9 votes [56.25%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 56.25%

3. San Antonio Spurs (2 votes [12.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

4. New York Knicks (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. Golden State Warriors (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,019 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 16, 2013 - 03:19 PM

Now that Chicago is out, I'm curious to see who you guys think has the best chance of knocking out the defending champs. I know there might be a few topics touching on a similar point, but I wanted to make the subject and analysis here a bit more specific, since now things are getting pretty interesting.

Obviously the Heat are on a roll, 45-4 in their last 49 games, incredible really. They have the best player (and MVP) of the league, two other all stars, and a plethora of 3 point shooters, giving them the ability to make life miserable for you in transition or just attack and shoot you out of the game in the halfcourt.

As it stands, there are still 5 teams left in the playoffs. I'm going to leave them all in the poll but ignore New York and Golden State since I think it's pretty clear they would drop in 5 games to the Heat.

1. Indiana, the top ranked defensive team. They have Paul George who is an excellent perimeter defender and Hibbert who's a solid anchor as well. They have the right personell to pressure LeBron well and force someone else to beat them. However, the problem is that their offense is about as bad as their defense is good, so even though they might be able to make life tough for the Heat, they have to be able to put points on the board since they can only slow down that relentless attack so much.

2. Memphis, who boasts the league's DPOY and top perimeter defender (according to NBA GMs). They also have a strong frontcourt with Gasol and Randolph who can protect the paint well just with their sheer size alone, and Allen and Prince are good enough to harass enough the most skilled wing players. Memphis plays with a lot of energy and heart and is a team nobody wants to face in a 7 game series. However, they lack true superstar leadership, as while Gasol, Randolph, and Allen are all very talented players, if the game is on the line, none of them has shown the ability to consistently step up and win, while the Heat have LBJ who is both a willing passer and deadly scorer in such situations. The days of the 2011 finals are long behind him now.

3. San Antonio, the old timers with Duncan, Parker, and Ginobli. The Spurs always seem to be that dark horse contender quietly doing their thing in the playoffs. After a few tough oustings in the past few years, however, the Spurs are back just as strong as ever. Duncan is playing like he's 5 years younger, Ginobli is healthier than we all thought, and Parker has taken the keys to the offense and is driving it effectively. With the best coach in the league imo in Greg Popovich, San Antonio has that edge in experience and adjustments that may be enough to top Miami. Yet, their age isn't entirely a non issue, as they've shown difficulty at times in containing Stephen Curry or Klay Thompson in the Western Conference Semifinals. And while Curry is one thing, what are they going to do about LeBron? 

With all of this in mind, who do you think can best the Heat? 

Edited by bfc1125roy, May 16, 2013 - 03:20 PM.

#2 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 35,812 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted May 16, 2013 - 03:47 PM

Indiana and Memphis

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#3 flota

flota

Barca, Lakers, Cowboys, Chivas

• 2,279 posts
  • Fan Since:2008
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe

Posted May 16, 2013 - 03:49 PM

i think indiana got this, they got a chip on their shoulders since the last playoffs...

Imposible is nothing.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty. Inquisitor Lord Fyodor Karamazov.

Alea Iacta Est. Julius Caesar.

#4 UNLABORED FLAWLESS

UNLABORED FLAWLESS

Rookie

• 579 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 17, 2013 - 02:53 AM

The referees have the best chance 

#5 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,701 posts
  • Name:Fernando
  • Fan Since:Kobe Shaq Era
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, West, D12?

Posted May 17, 2013 - 06:17 AM

Doubt indi will win. I can see them going up 2-1 and teasing then miami coming in and closing them out. I really think memphis can beat them they seem to have the momentum and confidence in their favor.
Posted Image

#6 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,829 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted May 17, 2013 - 07:40 PM

The only chance any team has of beating the Heat is if the Heat's transportation doesn't show up for the game.  Memphis may make it a 6 game series at the outside and San Antonio might pull them to 6, maybe.

Other than that, a second ring for the Heat is a foregone conclusion.  It has been this entire season.  There hasn't been a bigger waste of time for the NBA in a long, long time.

• 40,365 posts

Posted May 18, 2013 - 09:11 PM

The referees have the best chance 

You mean the only way any of these teams will even have a chance of beating Miami is if the refs let them play & don't call all the ticky tacks & cheap fouls in Miami's favor as well as rewarding their consistent flopping.

yo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users