Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 37,140 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted May 16, 2013 - 02:47 PM

2013 plans

Alright this is the off-season where realistically we'll have to look at a "no home runs" scenario.

So let's rank free agent priority and then the realistic probability of signing them and then the predicted lineup.

First:

Dwight Howard: Enough said.  This team becomes a lottery team wasting Kobe's final year coming back from an Achilles injury if this guy walks.  Re-sign him at ALL costs.

Second:

Earl Clark:  While fizzling out at the end of the season, while dealing with a dead knee, this kid is talent.   He is talent and he is a swiss army knife of talent and is an undeveloped full package.   While not being used to playing so many minutes over the course of his career it is not out of the question that he would slow down near the end of the season. 

Regardless of that, Earl Clark has made it very clear that he WANTS to return to the Lakers, and intends on putting in an entire off-season of work dedicated to becoming stronger, losing weight and improving his stamina.  

You don't let talent like that walk for such a cheap price after they dedicate an off-season into becoming the best they can be.

Earl Clark is potentially on the verge of a breakout year in his career.   You don't let that walk if he's willing to sign for less money and even a diminished role.  This guy wants to be a Laker.  Grant his wish.   You either sign him, or you lose him.  That simple.

Third:

Andrew Goudelock:  Due to hard work, and determination and learning how to actually be a combo guard in the D-league he became the MVP in that league.  But not only that he also came into his first playoff start and put up a marvelous performance before leg cramps for the best of him.

The kid is talented, and above all else he's a scorer and he plays every game like it's his last.

His weaknesses can be his size for his defense, though he is good at playing the passing lanes, he also has a few avenues to work on as far as his handles go, but he will put points on the board if you give him minutes in any avenue and he is a vastly improved player than he was when he left here.

Again, he can be had for cheap, and with it being unknown WHEN Kobe Bryant is returing you need a guy that can start over Meeks or come off the bench for Meeks.  That guy is Goudelock.   He is also a guy that is on the verge of a breakout season and can be had for very cheap.   As with Clark, sign him or lose him. That simple.   And though his counterpart Darius Morris probably also remains with the team for one more spell, Goudelock is someone you make the priority because Morris is pretty much a known, Goudelock is the guy another team would desperately try to scoop up before you do.

Alright, so now we're at the point where you re-signed people that are in your "house" so to speak. 

Now we have to go on free agent priority outside of the house and realistic probability of signing them.

First:
MartellWebster.jpg

Martell Webster:  What more needs to be said?   The Lakers could have already had Martell Webster for the 2012-2013 season after the Timberwolves waived him,  But they had such faith in Devin Ebanks that they passed him up and the Wizards got him.   

Big mistake. 

Martell Webster had his breakout year, and someone as talented as him was bound for one. 

Martell Webster is not only the 5th best three point shooter in the league he is also top 5 in true shooting efficiency outside of big men and that is astounding.  Not only that but he puts forth effort defensively, can attack and score off the dribble and has a moderate post game.    Not only that but he is a locker room guy. People that have been teammates with him love his personality, and they love his playful nature to make everyone even the most stern veteran smile. 

Realistic Probability to sign: Low to Medium

All the things I've stated about Martell Webster aren't just noticed by me, it's noticed by the rest of the league as well, most importantly it's noticed by the Wizards.

The Wizards will be doing everything in their power to retain him and most likely near every team in the league is gonna come for this guy trying to sign him or overpay him to a contract.  

Martell Webster is a "west coast" guy as he's stated many times, being from Seattle, so the lure of a team in the west like the Lakers is something that could entice him, though he'd be turning down the potential 6-8 million dollar contracts he'll be offered for a one year mMLE.

I think his mMLE year was the 2012-2013 off-season, now that he's proven his worth finally I don't expect him to settle.

No doubt the Lakers will make their pitch to him, but ultimately he is more likely to take the best offer for him and his career.  Again, I never count the Lakers out from signing an unrestricted free agent if they go for him.   But when it comes to Webster he's earned his right to not take another pay-cut just to prove his talent, and I think that ship has sailed.  Hopefully I'm wrong, but I'm probably not.

Second:

tony-allen-chilling.jpg

Tony Allen

Tony Allen has proven himself as the best wing defender in the league this season, or at the very least one of them, up there with the likes of the under appreciated defensively Paul George.

Tony Allen while not offering much in the way of creating his own shot or being consistent offensively makes up for it by his hard nose grind it out defense that frustrates players, and his defense in wearing down Kevin Durant in the OKC series says a lot about the value of this guy in the playoffs.   It wasn't just one game that Durant had an off night, it was several, and by the final game his threes were falling short and his legs were gone.   Tony Allen did a lot of that to him.   This is the guy you go after to relieve the Lakers defensive woes on the wing while also making life easier for Kobe in terms of defending, and shall he be here, Metta World Peace as well.

Realistic Probability to sign: Low to Medium

Once again, as I said about Martell Webster.   Every team in the league knows this about Tony Allen now.

The bright side is that he's 31 about to go on 32, this is around the age that most people expect wing defenders to slow down even a little bit.  This will likely stop a team from overpaying him overt a 3 or 4 year contract.    At the same time, the Grizzlies are going to do everything in their power to not let him go, but as evidence has shown they aren't willing to overpay because of the new CBA, they got rid of Rudy Gay for that very reason.  So overpaying Tony Allen to stay probably isn't going to happen.  

They are likely to offer him something like a 5 million dollar MLE to stay with the team which is just over the 3.3 million he makes now and should the Grizzlies get to the finals, or better yet win the NBA Championship, there is no way he is going anywhere else to finish his career. 

Our only chance of landing the guy is if he asks for more than the Grizzlies are willing to give.   But at the same time if he asks the Grizzlies for more than they are willing to give, we can't even offer as much as the Grizzlies could, so it's hard to see him over asking the Grizzlies and then settling for a mMLE from us.  It's possible, but not probable.   Once again I hope I'm wrong, but once again I'm probably not.

Third:

rbrewer_t300.jpg

Ronnie Brewer Jr:  Skilled Wing defender, extremely athletic, good at playing the passing lanes and going against wing defenders.   Would be a great weapon to use against the likes of Carmelo, LeBron and Durant.  He may not be able to fully stop them, but having him and Dwight Howard on the same team in combination could. Ronnie is also on average among the league leaders in steal to foul ratio.   This means he knows how to defend without needlessly fouling.   Especially a good thing.  

He is not offensively gifted, much like Tony Allen around the perimeter.  But his talent lays at getting to the basket and finishing at the rim.  He is one of the very best in the league at this. 

His ability to get to the basket and finish at the rim is astounding and he does it at an alarmingly high efficiency rate.  He for not being able to shoot around the perimeter has averaged a 49% field goal percentage throughout his entire career because of how high his field goal percentage was when he was with teams that knew how to use his talents.

Especially when he was around point guards that used his ability to cut to the basket to their advantage.

Steve Blake and Steve Nash are both perfect point guards to give him this. 

With Deron Williams as his point guard

His shooting percentages from the field were 52%, 55%,  50% and 49%  

With Derrick Rose as his point guard his percentage was 48%.

But in the injury plagued season that sparingly saw Derrick Rose on the floor his percentage dropped to 42%, it was high when Rose played, it was low when he didn't.

Simply put, if you're getting Ronnie Brewer, you have to know his strengths and be able to play to them.

His strengths are getting to the basket and finishing at the rim whether it be a contact layup or throwing it down on someone.  Steve Blake whom helped Jamison change his role from a spot up shooter to a dangerous cutter with his ability to find him on cuts to the basket will benefit Brewer the same way and he would be a very valuable asset, not only defensively, but taking advantage of lane openings while other teams are so focused on Dwight.

Realistic Probability to sign: High

Some teams it seems just don't know what to do with Ronnie Brewer Jr.  Some teams take his ability to not be a perimeter scorer and sit him on the bench or give him garbage minutes.  He was also one of the most skilled perimeter defenders the Thunder had after receiving him from New York, but he rode the bench for the rest of the season and into the playoffs when they really could have used his defense and hard nose style against a team like the Grizzlies.

It's likely the Thunder don't bring him back and the Lakers already have their eyes on him, and already made an attempt to sign him when he was in Utah before Utah gave him the bigger deal.

This is the guy actively on the Lakers radar and with Metta's diminishing defensive game as you can't stay young forever, they are looking for a perimeter defender and an at the basket finisher as well as adding some athleticism and youth to the roster.

Ronnie Brewer is the perfect fit for our bench and will take a lot of defensive pressure off of Kobe Bryant which will help the team in a lot of ways even if it isn't with perimeter scoring.   If the Lakers don't get him with everything already set up for them to, especially cheap(he can be had for the veterans minimum) it's a bad sign.

=============Editor's Note============

More to come here soon..

But what do you guys/gals think so far?

Edited by Majesty, May 28, 2013 - 08:53 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#2 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,035 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 16, 2013 - 02:55 PM

I would love Tony Allen and Martell Webster, however it will be very difficult for LA to afford one, let alone both. 

I've especially been a fan of Allen for quite a while and wished we got him in the summer of 2010. But he's likely going to be looking for some money, and given the reason he left the Celtics, a signing is pretty unlikely. Nonetheless, I would be ecstatic if it happened. 

#3 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,481 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 16, 2013 - 09:40 PM

Like your analysis. Dwight, is a no-brainer and Glock for the min is a good deal as well. Clark, i think, will try to get the most amount possible, since it's his first real pay-day and if someone offers him 7 million for 3 years, i think he may take it. I doubt the Lakers will match that amount, since his services actually can be replaced (to a large degree) with Hill returning and a veteran FA.

Webster and Tony Allen would be awesome, though it's hard to say whether they would take less to be in LA. I think a guy like Dorell Wright might, since he grew up in LA. He is long and can shoot and defend and would be a nice wing to have to stretch the floor.

Ronnie Brewer would be awesome. He can defend, handle the ball and score some. He gets zero time in OKC, so perhaps he could be had. Clearly a vets minimum contract.

If we manage to get a defender like Brewer for the minimum, I think we could use the mini-midlevel for an elite shooter – like Kyle Korver.

Another option is Chase Budinger who also is a west-coast guy.

A couple of veteran minimum guys we could sign as well are: Keith Bogans, Anthony Morrow, Barbosa, Dahntay Jones, Marquis Daniels and my favourite: Delonte West.

It should be possible to get a combination like this: Wright, Brewer and Delonte which really would improve our team.

PGs Nash/Blake/West

Wings Kobe/Wright/Brewer/West/Meeks

Bigs Dwight/Pau/Hill/Clark.

#4 Julien

Julien

Rookie

• 988 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime

Posted May 20, 2013 - 09:24 AM

What about a trade Pau vs David Lee + another player?

http://blogs.mercury...-pick-and-more/

#5 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,481 posts

Posted May 20, 2013 - 10:40 AM

What about a trade Pau vs David Lee + another player?

http://blogs.mercury...-pick-and-more/

Unless the "other" player is either Steph Curry, Klay Thompson or Harrison Barnes, i wouldn't want any part of it. 

#6 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,140 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 09:23 PM

Part 2

Fourth:

usc.white.jpg

OJ Mayo:  New Unrestricted Free Agent OJ Mayo who has opted out of an extra year with Dallas especially after the fall-out with his coach.
OJ Mayo started the season on fire solidifying himself as one of the most talented 2/3 wings in the league but had a severe dropoff in the second half of the season and was labeled inconsistent by his detractors.

Let's look at it, while being inconsistent he shot 45% from the field and 40% from three point land. 

I'm sure a lot of people in LA would love that "inconsistency" starting or coming off the bench for us.  

OJ Mayo was actually on the Lakers radar for the 2012-2013 Season as he was one of the pieces the Lakers felt they could add to their bench, unfortunately OJ Mayo chose Dallas over them but after a season in Dallas that saw his coach throw him under the bus during his late season struggles, rather than take the 5 million he was owed the next season OJ Mayo decided to opt out instead.

What OJ Mayo brings is an ability to stretch the floor, athleticism, speed and natural ability and size to our 2 position which has been missing for quite some time, while also having the ability to play the 3 occasionally, what;s better is that he can be had for the mMLE especially after his sputter at the end of the season.  Since he was on the Lakers radar for the 2012-2013 season he is likely still on the Lakers radar for the 2013-2014 season and the Lakers will definitely make a run at him.

Eventhough Kobe Bryant is expected to return ahead of schedule, the Lakers are still looking at strengthening their defensive depth and size from the wing position, OJ Mayo is the perfect candidate to fill that role.

Realistic Probability to sign: Medium to High

The top three teams on OJ Mayo's radar if he does not go back to Dallas(which is unlikely ashe has opted out) are the Los Angeles Lakers, Minnesota Timberwolves and Cleveland Cavaliers.   The Lakers can offer him an instant spot in the rotation depending on how soon Kobe Bryant is returning and having a scorer and a player like Mayo on the team would allow the Lakers flexibility and also allow Kobe to take as much time as needed to recover so that he can return in the best form possible and not feel the need to rush things.

This is one of the biggest reasons the Lakers are going to be pursuing him, because they don't want Kobe Bryant to feel pressured into having to rush back from injury because the team is struggling, OJ Mayo can make a wonderful starting 2 till the Mamba returns and be a viable six man when the Mamba comes back, OJ mayo would also be able to fit into a role of stretching the floor at the 2 or the 3 depending on the need or the situation and it also adds more youth to their bench and size to their 2 which has been missing in the recent years. 

Unless OJ Mayo decides the Cavaliers or Timberwolves can offer him so much money that he can't say no despite being on a losing team(which after experiencing the troubles of the Mavericks) again which is possible, expect him in Lakers Purple and Gold next season. 

Lakers will pursue once again, like last off-season, it's up to Mayo whether or not he'd rather take more money to be on a losing team.

More to come soon....

Hope you enjoyed it thus far :)

Edited by Majesty, May 28, 2013 - 09:12 PM.

#7 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,140 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 09:11 PM

Part 3

Fifth:

Dorell-Wright.jpg

Dorell Wright: He's a sleeper.   That is the best way I can put it.

I'm sure a lot of people were expecting a player like Wesley Johnson here when I go into the "potential" in terms of free agents.  But Wesley while having his best year, still hasn't found himself offensively and is one of the worst in the league at it in terms of consistency.

As much as he idolizes Kobe and works out with him over the summer it hasn't done much for his game overall, hopefully he finds himself in Phoenix but currently Dorell Wright is the better choice.

Why?  Dorell Wright is a 6 foot 7 Small Forward that's 27 years old but has also shown the capability to be a starter in this league if he is given minutes and time to prove himself as well as work on his game.

One of the few occasional shining lights on what would be considered a terrible 76er season one of the bright spots actually was the play of Dorell Wright... that is whenever Doug Collins played him.

Previously with the Warriors, Wright was one of their most deadly 3 point shooters on the team.  

The problem is he has a hard time finding TRUE consistency, not to the level of Wesley Johnson's problems, but not quite ironed out.  The kid is potential and is a very valuable weapon if given time.   He constantly found himself in and out of the rotation as Doug Collins simply didn't know what to do with him.  

But late in the season he gave him a chance and gave him consistent minutes and Wright came through for him and played well in his 30 minute games notching over 20 points in those games, and averaging 15 points on his 25 minute games.  

The kid has some consistency problems but he is a valued asset off the bench for a Lakers team looking to get younger and picking up some more talent and is probably a safe pickup.  He's one of those "not spectacular but not a bad pickup" players that has a bright upside and is looking for an opportunity to prove himself.   As a Los Angeles Laker, he'd get that chance.

Realistic Probability to sign: High if the Lakers pursue him.

Wright isn't really the type of player that earns a large contract and if the Lakers were to split their mMLE down to give between two players he could viably be one of them and it wouldn't be overpaying.

It's just a question on what other players the Lakers sign and miss out on an opportunity to sign.  Wright is one of the safest bets to be within the Lakers price range and to fill the sort of holes they are looking for on the perimeter, he could also serve as taking a few minutes away from Kobe while coming off the bench.  If the Lakers overloaded with wings at the 2/3 for the bench I wouldn't mind in the least as it would mean Kobe likely wouldn't have to rush back.

If the Lakers pursue him, which by all means they should, he'll be theirs.

Sixth
1238707888.jpg

Dejuan Blair: Nothing much more needs to be said, this guy is a no brainer. Never really given too big a chance from Gregg Popovich during the course of most of the season in the limited minutes he did get he showed a great hustle game and ability to use his awkward style of offense most big men don't have.  He has a consistent floater, that's amazing enough as it is.   

He doesn't have the true BUILD of someone that seems like they could do damage at his position, he is a man without a position virtually, he's too small to be a power forward yet too big to be a small forward, but he makes up for it with his hustle and his finishing ability when he gets to the basket, as well as his ability to get to the basket in general.  Shooting 52% from the field this season and 69%(yes that's correct) in the post season.   Kid knows how to get to the basket and where to be for rebounds and also knows how to finish once he gets to the rim and is very efficient.  

Another benefit, he is 24 years old, just 24 years old.There is a lot of room for him to grow but he is potential personified and is the best guy the Lakers could get as Paul Milsap is too much of a pipe dream. Dejuan Blair would be the steal of the off-season if the Lakers somehow nabbed him in their current situation, and the best part is that he's within their price range.   

The only issue is, other teams probably see his potential too but aren't so likely to offer more than the Lakers will, it depends really. Kid is a talent, and he is a steal, for WHICHEVER team gets him, hopefully it would be the Lakers.

Realistic Probability to sign:  Medium to High.

He's probably going to leave the Spurs this year, as Poppovich doesn't seem to want to use him too often and he's a perfect pairing on the Lakers team that will have a slowed down Pau Gasol to start the season and not to mention the damage him and Jordan Hill could do on rebounds as well on the offensive glass together.

A bench of

Earl Clark
Dejuan Blair
Jordan Hill

at the 3,4,5 would own the offensive glass against another teams bench and can get you a lot of hustle points and makes the bench core young with a great interior presence.

For this exact reason and to take some pressure off Pau and in many ways(if he re-signs) Dwight is to get a guy like Blair.  He is the perfect compliment to Earl Clark and Jordan Hill.   Go after this guy and sign him before someone else does and you're kicking yourself 2 years down the road.

=EDITORS NOTE=

----Once again.. More to come soon!!!  --

Edited by Majesty, May 28, 2013 - 09:26 PM.

#8 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,481 posts

Posted May 29, 2013 - 03:42 AM

OJ Mayo? Hell no. He's going to opt out in order to get a bigger and longer deal. Not in LA!

Dorrell Wright? Hell yes. When you’re playing with Kobe, Dwight, Nash and Pau you’re going to be very open. Dorrell Wright is good from the 3pt line and would fit nicely on this team next year – and he’s from LA.

Dejuan Blair? No, not Blair. With Pau and Dwight taking up 70+ mpg and Hill hopefully taking 15+ mins, i think Clark will play the remaining 5-10 front-court minutes (as well as mins at the 3). Blair would be stashed on the bench untill someone gets injured. That being said, if Clark or Dwight goes somewhere else or if Pau or Hill is traded and we need a 4th big, i think Blair would be interesting to look at - for the vets minimum.

#9 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,140 posts

Posted May 29, 2013 - 10:15 PM

OJ Mayo? Hell no. He's going to opt out in order to get a bigger and longer deal. Not in LA!

Dorrell Wright? Hell yes. When you’re playing with Kobe, Dwight, Nash and Pau you’re going to be very open. Dorrell Wright is good from the 3pt line and would fit nicely on this team next year – and he’s from LA.

Dejuan Blair? No, not Blair. With Pau and Dwight taking up 70+ mpg and Hill hopefully taking 15+ mins, i think Clark will play the remaining 5-10 front-court minutes (as well as mins at the 3). Blair would be stashed on the bench untill someone gets injured. That being said, if Clark or Dwight goes somewhere else or if Pau or Hill is traded and we need a 4th big, i think Blair would be interesting to look at - for the vets minimum.

I think we should have a bench forward deep enough depending on foul troubles and such.

Like someone that can take up minutes while Dwight and Pau sit for whatever reason, foul trouble or otherwise.  Trying to be at least 10 deep

A bench of

Blake
Meeks
Clark

Blair
Hill

Makes us about 10 deep at that point in my opinion so I think Blair is a perfect weapon for if Dwight is in foul trouble and it makes itt so we wouldn't always have to play Pau or Dwight, and in case of injury Blair is a great backup to have.

I think we should sign Blair on that kind of principle, he's a great forward to have in case things happen and can be thrown out there with some nice lineups. 

I don't think Clark will be made to play the 4 as his best position is the 3.

Thank you for your input though :)

#10 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,481 posts

Posted May 29, 2013 - 11:41 PM

I also think Clark will play most minutes as a back-up 3, but he is very capable of playing the 4, so if Dwight fouls out early or gets injured, Pau moves to the 5 for 35mpg, Hill will spilt minutes between the 4 and 5 and Clark will move to the 4.

That being said, for the vets minimum, i think Blair is a decent option.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users