40 replies to this topic

#1 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,224 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted May 15, 2013 - 12:29 PM

A friend of mine told me the real reason why we have one of the worst home crowd advantage in the NBA which only beat the bobcats and hornets crowds since they only have 10 fans going to games anyway is because the ticket is too expansive to even go anymore. The only people who can afford it are season ticket holders and celebrities which are mostly bandwagoners. And most of the time celebrities dont even pay for their tickets. He said look at the warriors crowd and the OKC crowd. I told him, well not many can afford Lakers tickets back in the days also since Dr Buss bought the team. It has always been expansive.  Only during the early to mid 90's when lakers suck that the price was affordable.  Now the nose bleed section cost around 200 to 400 bucks for playoffs and 100 bucks for regular season? You kidding me?  For a Mike D Antoni team that plays like a bunch of pansies? 

I've been to only 5 lakers game ever since I was a fan since 1985. Three playoffs. Two when Shaq and Kobe was dominating in the playoffs. One reason is because I live in Orange County and it takes about an hour or so to get to the game. So I'm not paying 4 grand for  season ticket which I only go to games on weekends if there's any. I dont get off work til 5pm.  But the real reason is it is so damn expansive.Ticket cost me 800 bucks each for the playoffs and its the top level premiere seats so not even good seats. First off you have to pay a couple of hundred bucks for seats that might not even be good. Then you pay 45 bucks for an over priced parking outside of stables. Then you pay 20 bucks for a hot dog or a cheese burger at the over priced McDonalds in stables.10 dollar beer or so. Then if you feeling it go to the lakers store and spend 200 bucks on items. But forget all that extra spending. The ticket alone is stupid.  One time I wanted to check out tickets for a lakers game. The cheapest I found was 85 bucks and it is on the roof of stable center litterarly . And its against the bobcats. One ticket is for 65 bucks and that only gets you parking. What?  Are you serious? How come it is so expansive? Can any of you guys afford to go anymore? I have a pretty good job so im not strap for money but seriously, it is getting out of hand.

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#2 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,237 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted May 15, 2013 - 12:41 PM

Those expensive tickets make it possible for the high payrolls. Also if they can be sold then why not. Its still a business. I have never been able to go due to the price but nothing you can do about it. I'd rather have a great franchise to watch at home.

#3 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,224 posts

Posted May 15, 2013 - 12:52 PM

Those expensive tickets make it possible for the high payrolls. Also if they can be sold then why not. Its still a business. I have never been able to go due to the price but nothing you can do about it. I'd rather have a great franchise to watch at home.

Well I agree with you on part of what you say. If people still buy them then why not.  But it doesn't have to be that expansive.  I was looking at the Miami Heat tickets and their prices are no where near what lakers tickets are.  How can they afford to do that with the best player in the game playing for them?  Plus the Lakers make billions with TWC and espn 710 that covers them. So it is not like they be losing profits or anything. Unless the Laker girls are getitng paid millions too. I do see some empty seats and most of them are corporate bought so that doesn't count.  I just hope they can lower the price a little so real fans can afford to go because it seems like we can't even afford to get nose bleeds anymore.

Edited by epicwolf, May 15, 2013 - 12:53 PM.

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#4 Scooter123

Scooter123

Rookie

• 300 posts
  • Fan Since:1966
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted May 15, 2013 - 01:02 PM

I've not been able to score a ticket for much less than $75-100 during the last few years.  So I go once a year.

The Clips have better pricing and seats. 

#5 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,224 posts

Posted May 15, 2013 - 01:20 PM

eeww, Clippers tickets?  I  might punch somebody in the face if they give me clippers tickets.  Thats how much I hate the clippers.  Even if it is courtside seating right next to Kate Upton sitting all bug naked against the Lakers I wouldn't even take it.  Just the thought of putting my hard earn money into Donald Sterling's wallet makes me want to puke.

Edited by epicwolf, May 15, 2013 - 01:26 PM.

#6 reryo

reryo

Rookie

• 1,324 posts
  • Name:Lee
  • Fan Since:2006
  • Fav. Laker:Odom

Posted May 15, 2013 - 01:21 PM

We need a fake crowd noise system. Our fans don't even BOO anymore.

#7 JGuez

JGuez

Off The Bench

• 2,631 posts

Posted May 15, 2013 - 01:32 PM

They are expensive but you can't say they're TOO expensive when every game sells out.

It's supply and demand.

#8 erfolk

erfolk

Rookie

• 696 posts
  • Name:Lewis
  • Fan Since:Birth:10-31-86
  • Fav. Laker:All Bout The Name On The Front

Posted May 15, 2013 - 01:44 PM

You can get tickets for forty bucks online. But 9 dollars for a bottled Newcastle I mean damn atleast let it be a draft.

#9 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,237 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted May 15, 2013 - 01:46 PM

Well I agree with you on part of what you say. If people still buy them then why not.  But it doesn't have to be that expansive.  I was looking at the Miami Heat tickets and their prices are no where near what lakers tickets are.  How can they afford to do that with the best player in the game playing for them?  Plus the Lakers make billions with TWC and espn 710 that covers them. So it is not like they be losing profits or anything. Unless the Laker girls are getitng paid millions too. I do see some empty seats and most of them are corporate bought so that doesn't count.  I just hope they can lower the price a little so real fans can afford to go because it seems like we can't even afford to get nose bleeds anymore.

1. They dont make billions. The deal was 3 bill over 20 years. Thats 150 mill a year. Yea much better than the previous deal but the lakers have never even come close to make a billion in one year. 

2. Miami got lucky by having all their stars take major pay cuts.  No one on that team is making more than 17 mill. Though all 3 go into 19 mill next year and it grows after that. A major reason why they were willing to take all the pay cuts is due to 0 income tax. If Lebron were to live in california for instance he would have a 10.3% income tax. This means to match the salary we would hav to pay him close to 20 mill.

Though Miami may see some problems soon. It has been said once the big 3's pay goes into the 20's that the super team will end due to the new luxury tax rules. Miami cant afford to pay that much like we can due to both high laker ticket prices and that TV deal. 

3. There is only 41 home games. Meaning they only get those big priced games half the season. Im not sure what % they get for away games but its not nearly as good as home and the away games profit for most teams is not even close to what they get to at home. 

4.Remember lakers are paying much more than just the player salary. They are paying Mike Browns salary(less now though), MDA's salary, all the assistant coaches, staples center, other employes, traveling expenses(Which I have read are huge), etc. All these add up. 

Remember California has extremely high taxes so about 10% of there profits goes to the state. Also if the lakers dont seriously decrease salary soon they could see a possible 170+ mill in payroll due to the luxury tax. 

#10 L@keRmadeā„¢

L@keRmadeā„¢

Lakers4life

• 921 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba

Posted May 15, 2013 - 02:03 PM

When I went to a game this season, it cost me about $600 for two good seats near the front. Which is still extremely expensive for a basketball game imo, although I don't know how much other teams charge.

I believe you can get lakers tickets from about $45 but it might depend who is playing I'm not sure.

Posted Image

#11 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 5,981 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted May 15, 2013 - 02:16 PM

They only charge that much because the demand is there.

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#12 Yaboy

Yaboy

Sixth Man

• 3,904 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 15, 2013 - 02:48 PM

I don't know how ppl in LA haven't been to a Lakers game lol I know if i was in the area i'd be going.... hopefully next season i'll make it down there.

de__anthony_thomas_by_eksde-d5e4v29.png

"Love me or hate me it's one or the other. Always has been. Hate my game, hate my swagger, hate my fade-away, my hunger, hate that i'm a veteran, A champion, hate that. Hate it with all your heart, and hate that i'm loved for the exact same reasons." - Kobe

#13 Busty Bluth

Busty Bluth

--Hey Brother!--

• 21,838 posts
  • Name:Byron "Buster AKA Busty" Bluth

Posted May 15, 2013 - 03:14 PM

I don't know how ppl in LA haven't been to a Lakers game lol I know if i was in the area i'd be going.... hopefully next season i'll make it down there.

I've never been to a laker game. I'm local. I was really thinking about going this past year, the terrible season forced me to abandon that idea.

Buster_bcfa40_2218659_zpsbf0d8a7a.gif

#14 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,113 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 15, 2013 - 03:38 PM

I was really thinking about going this past year, the terrible season forced me to abandon that idea.

If I lived in LA, I wouldn't have wanted to go to a game either

Pau Gasol is GONE

#15 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,542 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted May 15, 2013 - 04:00 PM

eeww, Clippers tickets?  I  might punch somebody in the face if they give me clippers tickets.  Thats how much I hate the clippers.  Even if it is courtside seating right next to Kate Upton sitting all bug naked against the Lakers I wouldn't even take it.  Just the thought of putting my hard earn money into Donald Sterling's wallet makes me want to puke.

Thats dumb....give me a free ticket to any game and I'll go. Its always a good time.

#16 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Just A Fan

• 3,396 posts
  • Name:JP
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted May 15, 2013 - 04:28 PM

I've been to some ore season games... Got lucky on a free game invite. And I'm going to some next season. The closer the better.... So I can throw a few sunflower seeds and the coach...
Posted Image

#17 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Parasyte

• 8,698 posts

Posted May 15, 2013 - 05:16 PM

I've been to one game.

That was 12 years ago, lol.

MMiRi9s.png

#18 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 38,553 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted May 15, 2013 - 05:24 PM

The Lakers have a homecourt advantage in every arena they play in save maybe four.

THAT'S where our fans get loud ;)   The away games :D :laughing:

The home games get loud in the important games.  

It was a madhouse in the last Warriors game the Lakers played at Staples.    Can't duplicate that atmosphere.

We have a championship and legacy atmosphere where our support turns other teams home fans into our home fans, and where our fans at home catch fire late in the season when the games are important but are normal during the season up until then unless its a big game. 

been that way for the last few years.

I don't think tickets have to do with it honestly, just how it's been the last few years. 

Edited by Majesty, May 15, 2013 - 05:27 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#19 TronVader

TronVader

Rookie

• 279 posts
  • Name:Tron
  • Fan Since:Conception
  • Fav. Laker:KB24

Posted May 15, 2013 - 07:04 PM

Bad around the nation in other sports too. Don't feel singled out.

Imagine an strange child who's punching you and your expecting to beat that if you will get serious

Wut

#20 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,102 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted May 15, 2013 - 08:32 PM

Parking in a NFL stadium is comparable to a upper level Laker ticket

No one forces you to go there

We beat OKC at home so there was at least one game worth it

The Lakers crowd CAn get loud