93 replies to this topic

#81 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,860 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 24, 2013 - 06:49 PM

You guys do realize that LeBron shot an eFG% of 52.6% in jumpers last year, right? That's better than Durant's 52.2% and Kobe's 45.7%.

He also hit 40.6% from beyond the arc, which is right up there with Durant's 41.6%, and better than everyone on the Lakers not named Nash or Blake (who usually always shoot wide-open threes anyway).

Not only that, but his FG% in the post was the highest in the league...even including centers, and a lot of those are off of jumpers, since teams crowd the paint when he's in the post.

You guys can't get away with saying LeBron doesn't shoot well anymore. He does.

#82 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,402 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted July 24, 2013 - 07:03 PM

This. I mean Lebron is great at what he does, but when you compare his mid range game his three shot and even his post moves he is out classed by other players in those regaurds.

When they went head to head in the finals just over a year ago Lebron avged 29 points on 47% from the field and a terrible 19% from three. Durant on the other hand avged 31 on 55% from the field and 40% from 3. Also MIA was the better defensive and overall team.

Scoring wise like I said I would take Durant any day of the week. It has taken lebron 10 years in the pros to be able to hit down wide open jumpers with any type of consistency (pointing to game 7 of the finals, even though the majority of the series he was missing those type of shots) Durant on the other hand is 24 and for 4 straight years has been the scoring champion and other than being able to bully past people his offensive game has a bigger array of skills then lebrons.

LeBron is the better scorer. He can score in more ways and more efficiently.

#83 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,766 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted July 24, 2013 - 08:00 PM

You guys do realize that LeBron shot an eFG% of 52.6% in jumpers last year, right? That's better than Durant's 52.2% and Kobe's 45.7%.

He also hit 40.6% from beyond the arc, which is right up there with Durant's 41.6%, and better than everyone on the Lakers not named Nash or Blake (who usually always shoot wide-open threes anyway).

Not only that, but his FG% in the post was the highest in the league...even including centers, and a lot of those are off of jumpers, since teams crowd the paint when he's in the post.

You guys can't get away with saying LeBron doesn't shoot well anymore. He does.

See I believe those stats are misleading. Lebron gets sagged off on jumpers. Sure he has improved on hitting them, but I dont think anyone would argue his jumper is nearly as money as durants or kobe's. I watch a lot of Lebron (my brother is in love with him) and his shot no doubt has gotten way better. However, compared to the jumpshots of Kobe, Durant,and Melo I wouldnt say its close. Everyone knows the stats will say whatever you want if you twist them enough. When I watch him hit a majority of his jumpers a defender is either closing out from sagging back or he is getting a wide open look from a good kick out pass. Nothing wrong with that, that is called smart basketball.

But if your gonna compare apples to apples you have to be able to put a player in the same situation and go from there. You cant really do that since no two players play with the same exact players (cant play with themselves obviously), and get the same exact looks. So if you were to put Lebron, Melo, Kobe, and Durant in a jump shooting situation with good solid defense, how would you rank them. My opinionated answer for that is probably self explanatory. Even with just a spot up shot who would you take? How about a step back? Turn around fadeaway jumper from 14 feet out? I think you see where Im going with this.

Now on to the post game argument. We all know Lebron has an effective post game because of his strength and size down low. I normally see him go to his post game right away when he has a huge size and weight advantage, again very smart basketball move not knocking his iq here. However, if you were to compare post moves arsenals I wouldnt say lebron has the biggest or most skillful one. Actually would argue he has a much smaller one then kobe and melo, but better then Durant (who has started to work more down low but with finesse instead of power of course and at 24 is a much more complete scorer than Lebron was) . Against a bigger or solid low post defender who would you take to score down low? I will take the footwork of Kobe and Melo over brons strength down low in that case.

Its a never ending argument of course but I always been more of a fan of a skilled game instead of athleticism, probably because god decided not to make me athletic lol. Lebron is very smart in that he plays to his strengths when he sees the match up. They put a bigger guy on him to keep him out of post up situations, drive past them. They put a smaller guy to hassel him when he is facing the basket, take em down low. Sagging off him, gonna take his jump shot, which even then at times goes cold with good looks. The point I am trying to make is that if you put Lebron in a situation where the player matches up well with what he is doing, he is less likely to score then the other guys if they are matched up just as well in the situation, except against the drive since there is no way to stop a human freight train in the lane.

LeBron is the better scorer. He can score in more ways and more efficiently.

I just pointed out stats about when they went head to head that said differently though?

Edited by PhillyLaker24, July 24, 2013 - 08:13 PM.

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#84 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,860 posts

Posted July 25, 2013 - 12:19 AM

You're using my old arguments about Kobe's ability to shoot over anyone, through any defensive pressure, better than anyone in NBA history...so I won't bother arguing that. LeBron does shoot over most anyone defending him, though, unless it's Kobe in an all-star game (ha). Can't say it's historically better than Bryant, but no one is.

But now, I'll ask...is that gap (Durant shooting over others vs. LeBron) larger than LeBron getting to the rim far better than KD? How about LeBron's post game being much better?

Durant has had two 50-point games (52 and 51). Now, you may think that in those games, Westbrook was either injured or very passive...but he shot 29 and 26 shots.

LeBron has nine 50-point games, his first a 56 back in 2005 (sophomore season), also a career high. He had the opportunities in Cleveland, but his last 50 (in Miami) was with both Bosh and Wade out there, and he only took 25 shot attempts.

For a guy who also has the three-ball, can shoot over anyone in the NBA, and was getting to the line to shoot 9-10 free throws a night, you'd think such an exceptional scorer in Durant would have more of those games under his belt.

By the way, Carmelo has just three of them...all sitting at 50 (career high).

The greatest scorers of all-time rack up 50-point games...Wilt, Jordan, Kobe. Combine Melo and Durant's, and you don't even reach LeBron's nine.

A lot of ways to look at it. From all angles, I can't see how LeBron isn't the superior scorer to those two.

---------

As far as the post game goes, LeBron doesn't need 10 different post moves. Kobe's post is up there with Jordan's, in terms of overall skillset...but the fact is, LeBron is still effective with his limited skillset because few can stop him with it.

Based on post game, slashing, mid-range, 3PT, and free throw (a combo of all)...it's hard to argue against LeBron not being able to dominate a game more, offensively, than Durant and Melo. He's the best post player, shoots the three as well as they do, slashes to the rim (and finishes) better than both, gets to the line as much, and has a higher percentage on his jumpers. They have yet to prove me otherwise, despite having the opportunities to do so.

• 40,365 posts

Posted July 25, 2013 - 01:38 PM

As far as the post game goes, LeBron doesn't need 10 different post moves. Kobe's post is up there with Jordan's, in terms of overall skillset...but the fact is, LeBron is still effective with his limited skillset because few can stop him with it.

Based on post game, slashing, mid-range, 3PT, and free throw (a combo of all)...it's hard to argue against LeBron not being able to dominate a game more, offensively, than Durant and Melo. He's the best post player, shoots the three as well as they do, slashes to the rim (and finishes) better than both, gets to the line as much, and has a higher percentage on his jumpers. They have yet to prove me otherwise, despite having the opportunities to do so.

He can dominate more certainly, but he's not the more skilled nor impressive in terms of arsenal. At the end of the day, dominance wins obviously, but in terms of skill & overall arsenal, he doesn't win there.

yo.

#86 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,860 posts

Posted July 25, 2013 - 03:21 PM

He can dominate more certainly, but he's not the more skilled nor impressive in terms of arsenal. At the end of the day, dominance wins obviously, but in terms of skill & overall arsenal, he doesn't win there.

Well, I'm waiting for someone to tell me what Durant and Melo do better than LeBron.  Anything at all qualifies...even outside of scoring, although that's for a different discussion (although, not worthy of one, because it's clear as day that neither of them do anything better).

I dislike him, wish he would retire with two rings...but I'm asking, what do those two guys do better than LeBron James today?  And if we're going to limit this strictly to scoring skillset...then, again, what is it?

Sitting here telling me that Melo and Durant shoot better over defenders really isn't going to cut it, because all three are defended the same.  All three draw less defensive attention than Kobe has when he was in his prime (only Shaq and Kobe saw that much defensive attention since Wilt), and the stronger, physical players (Ron Artest) and the long, tall players who can move faster (Kevin Durant) were still obliterated by James...and through jumpshots, post-2011.

After this season, it's clear that he has no weaknesses in his game.  He has reached that peak.  He's an elite scorer, passer, and defender, who has proven he's also clutch...and not only regular season, but playoffs (and more specifically, Finals Game 7 clutch).

From three, from mid-range, at the rim, in the post...he is near OR at the top of the list scoring the ball.  He has had more 50-point games than Melo, and bigger scoring games by far.  Durant has had two since being drafted.  I mean...what else is there to say?  

#87 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 35,903 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted July 25, 2013 - 07:44 PM

Yes

But back to the topic at the moment we're talking about Parker and Wiggins :)

But it became LeBron vs =P  Heheh so I'll steer it back!! :D

When we're comparing those too there are still aspects of Wiggins game that Parker has him on and seems the more complete offensive player and scorer right now.  If Wiggins is not in the paint he does not have a reliable jump shot, he has great to the basket moves but he doesn't have a consistent jump shot yet.

Parker can score from the inside or the outside consistently and has a better post game.

So right now Parker is the better scorer :) In my opinion.

Edited by Majesty, July 25, 2013 - 07:45 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

• 40,365 posts

Posted September 30, 2013 - 01:07 AM

When is his first game? Will it be televised?

yo.

#89 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 12,869 posts
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted October 03, 2013 - 03:18 PM

I can't wait for wiggins either

#90 Majesty

Majesty

• 35,903 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted October 03, 2013 - 03:33 PM

Considering all the hype, you'll be underwhelmed unless he scores a 50 point triple double in his debut....

He's still very raw in the college game and his jump shot needs work, but he's super athletic and can get to the basket with high school spacing.    College is a different game entirely.  He'll have to learn to hone because he's very reactive and all his moves work but they come so easy he can get complacent.   He needs to make sure he focuses all the time.   Focus is the difference maker.

So I'm not expecting him to blow the doors off the building, I do expect some spectacular plays and some Sportscenter highlights, but for his FIRST college game I'd be content with 18 pounds 7 rebounds and 7 assists and I wouldn't be upset. 

I'm excited to see him too but I'm not gonna expect him to blow the doors down off the bat unless it's against a low ranked team for his first game, if I expect anything more I'll be disappointed. 

So I'd much rather be pleasantly surprised :)

Edited by Majesty, October 03, 2013 - 03:34 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

• 40,365 posts

Posted October 03, 2013 - 07:33 PM

RD, will you be going to any of his games?

yo.

#92 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 12,869 posts
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted October 05, 2013 - 01:50 PM

18 7 7

Is expecting too much...

I just want to see his explosiveness

Remember when shannon brown made his first impact as a laker?
It was not a dunk, or steal, or made bucket...
It was a foul

He happen to jump 5000 feet in the air, and made the entire building go nuts, and the entire lakers team believe in him

I want to see wiggins do the same type of thing
Just one of those , omg did you just see that moments.

#93 Chad

Chad

Kings

• 3,268 posts

Posted October 23, 2013 - 08:45 AM

tumblr_muwtuoZVuF1qcp1zao1_500.jpg

¡Hala Madrid! Neymar Rules!  

#94 Majesty

Majesty

• 35,903 posts