Photo

Will the Lakers consider trading Nash this summer?

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#21 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,692 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted May 14, 2013 - 12:59 AM

They have to see what his market value is at.

Despite what people are saying he actually did well this season. Was injured earlier, but still managed to pull out 50 games with good efficiency. The problem is that to trade him we probably need to take back a bad contract which I doubt the Lakers are interested in. I do think Toronto could be interested and perhaps even a team like NY or Boston - perhaps not those two specifically, but teams that lack offense and have an elite perimeter defender. Nash with Blake as the back-up is a liability, but Nash with Avery Bradley or Iman Shumpert is a different story. (Nash, Hill, Meeks to Boston for Rondo + filler? or Hill-Meeks for Bradley?)

If we can’t move him, I think we need to move someone else on the team for a good perimeter defender.

Another point, as bad as his contract sounds (almost 30 million for 3 years), it’s not that bad. If he plays well next season, no problem. If not, he can be moved as an expiring in 2014 OR waived using the “stretch-provision”.

Yet another point: Under the new CBA teams are required to spend a certain amount of money on player salaries. That means that some teams could be willing to take on Nash’s two-year deal this summer, to meet the demands of the new CBA and avoid overpaying someone else long-term. For instance, Sacramento are going to re-sign Tyreke Evans, have a strong front-court, but is still a total mess in the back-court where everyone are one-on-one-players. Nash could help clean up that locker-room.

yes Nash was still basically 50/40/90   Well actually he shot 49.7 from the field and 43 percent from the three point line and shot 92% from the free throw line while never being 100 percent and averaged 12 points(right around his average)  and 6 assists(the ONLY reason his assists total was low was because he played off ball to Kobe a majority of the time, and whenever we played a style that netted him 10 or more assists we lost so it was more effective to have him off-ball anyway.

If he played most of the season injured and averaged 49 from the field and 43 percent from the three regardless then maybe when he's healthy from the start of next season and fully used to being off ball to Kobe he'll average more points.

But if you want a point guard playing off ball to Kobe, which is required unless we get a point guard like Chris Paul, then you'd want that off ball point guard shooting 50 percent from the field and 40% from the three point line.

nash can be one of our biggest offensive weapons we have on this team if we use him right, WHICH we did, nearing the end of the season, don't expect him to miss the shots he gets playing off ball when he's 100%. 

I swear, how some people act like 50/40/90 is useless and easily replaceable all while playing his heart out FOR US while injured, people talk about him like he's garbage.

What?  Did you expect Nash to average3 20/5 his first season with us?    He's currently the best shooter on the team and our best off ball weapon which actually would deter defenses from collapsing on Kobe so much.  We didn't get to see it too much because he had a freak accident to start the season and wasn't 100% when he returned but he was still an important factor and it hurt when we only had maybe 40% of him against San Antonio, but when he showed flashes and made the shots he got, Pop had to call time outs to stop the momentum.

Nash is going to have a bounceback year, and no point guard that you would trade Nash for is going to be given up by the team that has him.  

So best bet is to hope Nash comes back healthy next season and in shape, all signs are pointing to that he will.

What he needed after dealing with the injury(s) was rest.   It was his decision to return so soon and play his heart out for us.   To shun that seems ungrateful and it wasn't like he WASN'T effective.

Expecting Nash to average 20/7 is like expecting Dwight to average 28/15.

Know your personnel.  And closing down the season, we did.  he's our best off ball weapon and that is what he should play to wind down his career, asking the best shooting point guard of all time(currently) in the twilight of his career to do any different at this point is silly. 

There are many more areas this team needs to improve, losing Nash would fix none of them to the extent of turning a season around or making a difference in the season in general.

Focus on the weaknesses of our wings and defense there.  That's where we were hurt.

fyi in 10 of the final 15 games he played for us he posted stat lines like this across 10 of them.

15/10 against Atlanta
20/4 against OKC
22/2 against Toronto(The comeback which Kobe got ALL credit for and Nash was forgotten)
16/4 against Chicago

15/9 against Indiana

19/12 against Sacramento

19/4 against Phoenix

21/7/9 against Golden State

16/8 against Minn

16/6 against Milwaukee

That's an average of 17.9 / 6.6   or 17/6 if we don't want to round up. 

(ironically Real Deal said earlier in the season that once Nash got acclimated to playing off ball to Kobe he'd average around 17/5... pretty scarily on point if you ask me) 

and then he was injured against Sacramento and we lost him for the rest of the season but still wasn't even 100% during these games either and he had a LOT to do with our 28/12 close the season run as well even though ALL of the credit for that was deservedly given to Kobe, but Nash was forgot about for the things he did in that run and it's a shame, and it's easy to tell since people are actually talking about trading him when he was one of the guys who was one of our greatest weapons down the second half of the season not named Kobe Bryant -_- while  playing injured mind you. But who cares about all that apparently?

He's useless right? 

Our season was split into two halves, the second half was when we actually had an identity and THOSE are the numbers Nash put up when he had the off ball identity to Kobe Bryant.

But he's useless right?

Some of you fans can be a generation of "Don't know what you got till its gone" 's sometimes.

But I digress.   We all are at one point or another. 

So no problem. 

But Nash was FAR from useless and shouldn't be treated and bashed the way he has been by the section of the forum that develops ESPN-like amnesia sometimes.

Edited by Majesty, May 14, 2013 - 01:19 AM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#22 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,467 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 14, 2013 - 05:24 AM

... long quote..

I dont disagree at all and some of the things i did say was that he played well and that his contract wasn't as bad as people make it out to be. Then i gave a few trade possibilities which may have given the impression that i really want to move him. I dont.

That being said, with all that have happened: different coaches, injuries, almost not making the playoffs, Kobe out, MDA being a tool and Dwights upcoming Free Agency, i think everything is up in the air and we need to look at all available options, including trading Steve Nash.

Also, while Steve Nash did play well, he is still a liability on the defensive end which is a matter that needs to be solved. Btw i mentioned that as well.

#23 CameronStewart

CameronStewart

Rookie

• 492 posts
  • Name:Cameron
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 14, 2013 - 05:38 AM

Look basketball is a young mans game. As great as Nash was/is, I would great him traded for a younger player. It's obvious that youth, athletisism and talent gets your places. This team is far too dam old, falling to pieces. Time to get younger.

#24 gque24

gque24

Sixth Man

• 4,143 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted May 14, 2013 - 06:31 AM

hope so packaged with Pau

Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#25 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,692 posts

Posted May 14, 2013 - 12:53 PM

I dont disagree at all and some of the things i did say was that he played well and that his contract wasn't as bad as people make it out to be. Then i gave a few trade possibilities which may have given the impression that i really want to move him. I dont.

That being said, with all that have happened: different coaches, injuries, almost not making the playoffs, Kobe out, MDA being a tool and Dwights upcoming Free Agency, i think everything is up in the air and we need to look at all available options, including trading Steve Nash.
Also, while Steve Nash did play well, he is still a liability on the defensive end which is a matter that needs to be solved. Btw i mentioned that as well.

That's why you focus on getting defensive wings in the off-season, Ronniw Brewer, Tony Allen. These guys make life much easier in that scenario.

Also, defensively Nash is good at leading and shrinking the floor, and actually when we had a lineup of Clark and Dwight his defensive inefficiencies weren't as exploited as it was with him and Gasol.

When he'd lead people to Dwight they'd still struggle scoring, when they went at Pau it was basically an easy two points.

A healthy Dwight will make up for covering for Nash alone, but he can't cover for Nash AND Gasol. That was the issue and the blame shouldn't rest squarely on Nash's shoulders of our defensive woes imo.

#26 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,759 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted May 14, 2013 - 12:57 PM

Everything depends on if Dwight re-signs.

We don't need to trade Nash.

What we need to do is get the wings available in free agency right now and pray that Nash is healthy after next season. 

if you're looking to replace Nash or someone to start over Nash you wait till the 2014 off-season.

Cause in all honesty you aren't gonna trade Nash for a viable backup option or a starting option at point guard.

So you're basically starting the season with Blake starting and Morris or Duhon as your backup point guard.

You don't trade Nash.  He's a very valuable piece and will be very important when Blake's contract expires in terms of Nash being switched to a bench role. 

The problem as with all the team is remaining healthy. 

But no one could this year.

I expect Nash to have a great bounceback year next season and these threads will disappear.

But the reality is we should be looking at a starting point guard to bring Nash off the bench to replace starting the 2014 off-season.   But not right now.

Right now we should be adjusting our 2 and 3 defenders for our bench.   That's where our focus should be.  

Cause if we did trade Nash it wouldn't be a deal accepted for any pieces that would otherwise be meaningless otherwise they wouldn't take Nash after the season he had.

So we're likely keeping Nash and no deal that would realistically be accepted is worth trading him for, so it may be best to focus on other things like bench 2s and 3s that are athletic and can defend.

I am hoping there is someone we can grab from the FA "leftovers" just before camp that didnt get the deal they wanted and is willing to sign cheap just to play in the league.  Aaron Brooks type maybe.  Nash is too old and too injury prone not to have a heavy minutes/ almost a start backup behind him.

#27 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,759 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted May 14, 2013 - 12:59 PM

That's why you focus on getting defensive wings in the off-season, Ronniw Brewer, Tony Allen. These guys make life much easier in that scenario.

Also, defensively Nash is good at leading and shrinking the floor, and actually when we had a lineup of Clark and Dwight his defensive inefficiencies weren't as exploited as it was with him and Gasol.

When he'd lead people to Dwight they'd still struggle scoring, when they went at Pau it was basically an easy two points.

A healthy Dwight will make up for covering for Nash alone, but he can't cover for Nash AND Gasol. That was the issue and the blame shouldn't rest squarely on Nash's shoulders of our defensive woes imo.

After watching Allen basically alter 2 playoff series on the defensive end, I think his value will be huge in the offseason.  We need to find Allen types who dont have the reputation he does.

#28 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,692 posts

Posted May 14, 2013 - 01:08 PM

After watching Allen basically alter 2 playoff series on the defensive end, I think his value will be huge in the offseason.  We need to find Allen types who dont have the reputation he does.

Gotta remember though, he's 31.  So I don't think teams will be willing to overpay him, I don't see him getting 6-8 million for 2 years or anything. 

And I don't think the Grizzlies are going to overpay him, if they were in the mood to spend money like that they wouldn't have traded Rudy Gay.

Tony Allen makes about 3.3 mill this year.  We can offer him 3 mill next year if the Grizz don't pay him more. 

That's why it's important Dwight re-sign, it's much easier to convince him with Dwight here than if Dwight left.

#29 KobeBeef24

KobeBeef24

O' Canada!

• 1,247 posts
  • Fan Since:2007
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, MWP, Swaggy P, LO, Pau

Posted May 15, 2013 - 08:50 AM

I don't see him getting traded, but the only team that for sure would want him is the Raptors.

#30 MAMBA24ILL

MAMBA24ILL

Pray for the bear.

• 9,396 posts
  • Fan Since:80's
  • Fav. Laker:MAMBA, MAGIC, NICK VAN EXEL

Posted May 15, 2013 - 10:02 AM

Nash won't be traded & he's not useless. He just isn't durable. 

veqdeg.jpg

#31 24allday

24allday

Rookie

• 1,388 posts
  • Name:Gavin
  • Fan Since:3rd grade - first started watching and loved Kobe
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba, #STAYSWAG

Posted May 15, 2013 - 10:19 AM

I don't know who would want him. Theres so many better pgs than him right now

• 40,395 posts

Posted May 15, 2013 - 10:36 AM

Find a way to send him to his home in Canada and give them their national hero. Bring back Lowry.

yo.

#33 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,692 posts

Posted May 15, 2013 - 02:03 PM

this.

if he stays healthy he'll be even more productive than he was in 10 of the last 15 games he played. 

But people forget very easily apparently.  

Don't know what you got till its gone.  A point guard that averages 17/6 in 10 of the final 15 games while shooting over 50% from the field and over 40% from the three point line isn't useless and shouldn't be treated like they are "disposable" he was a huge part of that 28-12 run to end the season along with Kobe.   But he is treated like he was 'just there" all year.   tsk tsk tsk.

#34 Bynumite17

Bynumite17

Huh?

• 6,327 posts

Posted May 15, 2013 - 02:15 PM

To say Nash isn't durable is just ignorant.

Posted Image

• 40,395 posts

Posted May 15, 2013 - 02:55 PM

^

yo.

#36 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,692 posts

Posted May 15, 2013 - 03:10 PM

To say Nash isn't durable is just ignorant.

honestly, no one was durable this year.

And also, Nash didn't have to come back as early as he did, and the pain he played with was the kind that should have kept him out longer, but he wanted to help us.

This year was frustrating for him because he didn't have the impact he wanted, but even looking at those final games where he averaged 17/6 while shooting 50% from the field and 40% from three point land was starting to really settle into that off-ball role before being injured again, it's ashamedly brushed by the way-side by fans now acting as if he's disposable.

Good luck finding a 17/6 off ball point guard that shoots 50% from the field 40% from three and 90% from the free throw line.  They don't grow on trees, and the ones that do's teams aren't giving them up to us.

#37 gque24

gque24

Sixth Man

• 4,143 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted May 16, 2013 - 05:46 AM

If they aint in contention for Title = he worthless!

Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#38 Bynumite17

Bynumite17

Huh?

• 6,327 posts

Posted May 16, 2013 - 07:07 AM

honestly, no one was durable this year.

And also, Nash didn't have to come back as early as he did, and the pain he played with was the kind that should have kept him out longer, but he wanted to help us.

This year was frustrating for him because he didn't have the impact he wanted, but even looking at those final games where he averaged 17/6 while shooting 50% from the field and 40% from three point land was starting to really settle into that off-ball role before being injured again, it's ashamedly brushed by the way-side by fans now acting as if he's disposable.

Good luck finding a 17/6 off ball point guard that shoots 50% from the field 40% from three and 90% from the free throw line. They don't grow on trees, and the ones that do's teams aren't giving them up to us.

Its dumb to base it off of one season. Nash is an insanely durable player, he takes care of his body to be at a high level at his age. Now Bynum...

Posted Image

#39 MAMBA24ILL

MAMBA24ILL

Pray for the bear.

• 9,396 posts
  • Fan Since:80's
  • Fav. Laker:MAMBA, MAGIC, NICK VAN EXEL

Posted May 16, 2013 - 10:15 AM

Its dumb to base it off of one season. Nash is an insanely durable player, he takes care of his body to be at a high level at his age. Now Bynum...

OMGosh! And you said saying the guy isn't durable is ignorant.... Yes he takes care of his body & preps well for the game. He just isn't young & doesn't AND hasn't held up these last few years. 62 games in 11-12, 50 this year. 

Edited by MAMBA24ILL, May 16, 2013 - 10:16 AM.

veqdeg.jpg

#40 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,462 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted May 16, 2013 - 10:31 AM

mostly due to the Sun's medical staff

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users