Photo

Will the Lakers consider trading Nash this summer?

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 manaro90

manaro90

Sixth Man

• 2,858 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic Johnson

Posted May 13, 2013 - 03:47 PM

What do you guys think?

They can save money and cap space when they do

otherwise a healthy Nash is dangerous, but he is gonna be 40 this year so trading him might be better?!

LAKERS FOR LIFE!

BIGGEST LAKERS FAN FROM COLOGNE, GERMANY BABY!!!

#2 Murdercassette

Murdercassette

Rap game Billy Mays

• 596 posts

Posted May 13, 2013 - 03:48 PM

Coach Bozo would never allow it

Posted Image

#3 manaro90

manaro90

Sixth Man

• 2,858 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic Johnson

Posted May 13, 2013 - 03:55 PM

hahahahaha :kobe:

LAKERS FOR LIFE!

BIGGEST LAKERS FAN FROM COLOGNE, GERMANY BABY!!!

#4 lakerfan0307

lakerfan0307

Off The Bench

• 1,428 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 13, 2013 - 04:52 PM

What do you guys think?

They can save money and cap space when they do

otherwise a healthy Nash is dangerous, but he is gonna be 40 this year so trading him might be better?!

I would call Nash one of the most untradable people in the league. Not many teams would be willing to take a 40 year old guard coming off the worst injury season of his career. The only team that would maybe be interested is Toronto, but even that is questionable.

#5 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 30,863 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted May 13, 2013 - 05:17 PM

Everything depends on if Dwight re-signs.

We don't need to trade Nash.

What we need to do is get the wings available in free agency right now and pray that Nash is healthy after next season. 

if you're looking to replace Nash or someone to start over Nash you wait till the 2014 off-season.

Cause in all honesty you aren't gonna trade Nash for a viable backup option or a starting option at point guard.

So you're basically starting the season with Blake starting and Morris or Duhon as your backup point guard.

You don't trade Nash.  He's a very valuable piece and will be very important when Blake's contract expires in terms of Nash being switched to a bench role. 

The problem as with all the team is remaining healthy. 

But no one could this year.

I expect Nash to have a great bounceback year next season and these threads will disappear.

But the reality is we should be looking at a starting point guard to bring Nash off the bench to replace starting the 2014 off-season.   But not right now.

Right now we should be adjusting our 2 and 3 defenders for our bench.   That's where our focus should be.  

Cause if we did trade Nash it wouldn't be a deal accepted for any pieces that would otherwise be meaningless otherwise they wouldn't take Nash after the season he had.

So we're likely keeping Nash and no deal that would realistically be accepted is worth trading him for, so it may be best to focus on other things like bench 2s and 3s that are athletic and can defend.

Edited by Majesty, May 13, 2013 - 05:18 PM.

I've always liked Steve Blake.

#6 lakersince75

lakersince75

Rookie

• 1,161 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted May 13, 2013 - 05:33 PM

Not too sure how you give a 39 year old a three year contract in the first place. This is a young mans game. Father time is undefeated!! The only way Nash will succeed is if you put him on the court with 4 other young guys

#7 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 5,432 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted May 13, 2013 - 05:46 PM

lol hes not going anywhere to old.

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#8 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

All-Star

• 6,843 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted May 13, 2013 - 06:13 PM

If we somehow could get a defensive minded pg......yes.

#9 TronVader

TronVader

Rookie

• 279 posts
  • Name:Tron
  • Fan Since:Conception
  • Fav. Laker:KB24

Posted May 13, 2013 - 06:15 PM

We let one of those walk this past season

Imagine an strange child who's punching you and your expecting to beat that if you will get serious

Wut

#10 Majesty

Majesty

• 30,863 posts

Posted May 13, 2013 - 06:25 PM

We let one of those walk this past season

So did every other team. 

Maybe there's more to it.

#11 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,296 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted May 13, 2013 - 10:09 PM

The only thing they would do with him is apply the stretch waiver to him. but I don't see it happening.

#12 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,874 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 13, 2013 - 10:14 PM

If you're watching Ginobili, thats the kind of player we're stuck with when it comes to Nash

Someone who just cant get through a season healthy and has one nagging injury after another. Ginobli played 34 out of possible 66 last year, 60 out of a possible 82 this year. We simply have to reduce Nash's workload during season in hopes that he can stay healthy in playoffs...even then he can have an occasional elite performance here and there but cant do night and night out obviously at his age but is very valuable during clutch circumstances

And Ginobil plays around 23 to 25 mins a game and has alternatives who can step in for him who can produce just as much as him, we dont have anyone like that for Nash

Ginobili is a FA this summer will be very interesting how Spurs handle his situation

Edited by MDI, May 13, 2013 - 10:15 PM.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#13 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,296 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted May 13, 2013 - 10:22 PM

Come on now,. Ginobili is going nowhere.  They will retain him and well they should.

#14 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,874 posts

Posted May 13, 2013 - 10:25 PM

^ well they offered him a 3 year extension in 2010 knowing full well his injury history. They haven't gotten out of the West and probably wont again this year.  Manu might have to take a huge paycut

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#15 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 15,090 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted May 13, 2013 - 10:30 PM

Not too sure how you give a 39 year old a three year contract in the first place. This is a young mans game. Father time is undefeated!! The only way Nash will succeed is if you put him on the court with 4 other young guys

Well it had to be a 3 year contract. S&T's dictate it. 

#16 Majesty

Majesty

• 30,863 posts

Posted May 13, 2013 - 10:32 PM

^ well they offered him a 3 year extension in 2010 knowing full well his injury history. They haven't gotten out of the West and probably wont again this year.  Manu might have to take a huge paycut

Manu ain't the reason though.  He's the guy that has to play so many minutes in his condition and finish games because of the other guys not stepping up.

They are keeping Manu till they get someone that doesn't need him to come off the bench and play heavy minutes for them in order to win playoff games. 

Edited by Majesty, May 13, 2013 - 10:32 PM.

#17 -MagicKareemKobe-

-MagicKareemKobe-

Rookie

• 1,243 posts
  • Name:Michael
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Lamar, Worthy, Magic

Posted May 13, 2013 - 10:50 PM

I hope they do, but I don't see it happening.

Hated this signing from day 1

#18 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,597 posts
  • Name:Fernando
  • Fan Since:Kobe Shaq Era
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, West, D12?

Posted May 13, 2013 - 11:21 PM

as much as i want him to stay a laker i would say yes. Nash is a liability not just on defense but offense and health wise. i would have loved to see him retire with a ring but i just dont see him doing it with this organization.

Posted Image

#19 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Sixth Man

• 3,653 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 14, 2013 - 12:38 AM

They have to see what his market value is at.

Despite what people are saying he actually did well this season. Was injured earlier, but still managed to pull out 50 games with good efficiency. The problem is that to trade him we probably need to take back a bad contract which I doubt the Lakers are interested in. I do think Toronto could be interested and perhaps even a team like NY or Boston - perhaps not those two specifically, but teams that lack offense and have an elite perimeter defender. Nash with Blake as the back-up is a liability, but Nash with Avery Bradley or Iman Shumpert is a different story. (Nash, Hill, Meeks to Boston for Rondo + filler? or Hill-Meeks for Bradley?)

If we can’t move him, I think we need to move someone else on the team for a good perimeter defender.

Another point, as bad as his contract sounds (almost 30 million for 3 years), it’s not that bad. If he plays well next season, no problem. If not, he can be moved as an expiring in 2014 OR waived using the “stretch-provision”.

Yet another point: Under the new CBA teams are required to spend a certain amount of money on player salaries. That means that some teams could be willing to take on Nash’s two-year deal this summer, to meet the demands of the new CBA and avoid overpaying someone else long-term. For instance, Sacramento are going to re-sign Tyreke Evans, have a strong front-court, but is still a total mess in the back-court where everyone are one-on-one-players. Nash could help clean up that locker-room.

#20 jax24

jax24

Starter

• 826 posts
  • Name:Jax
  • Fan Since:1979

Posted May 14, 2013 - 12:45 AM

I think if we can get a decent return for him then yes. That's not likely but you never know. I really feel he should be a bench player at his age. I love the guy and was so happy to see him become a Laker. The only way he wins a ring with us is off the bench. He really needs to play limited minutes. That probably doesn't happen though and he still plays 35 minutes with DAntoni as coach. Also teams aren't going to go out of there way to help us out taking a 9 mill contract. We are most likely stuck with him. If only we could somehow obtain a starting PG that can play abit of D. I'd even have Blake start over him. I understand Nash had a injury plagued season but don't think he is going to stay healthy next season if he has to play big
minutes.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users